PDA

View Full Version : Cumbria/Yorkshire Border

mr grumpy
04-06-2005, 19:15
Four miles out of Kirkby Stephen on the road to Keld and right on the county border is a decent sized lay-by. Don't forget that if you are heading East you will need your passport to enter Yorkshire!

PaulC
10-06-2005, 13:12
Hi,

Is it a lay-by? If it's where I think it is it wasn't a paved parking area just a patch of grass. Is it at the top of a steep hill?

regards

pappajohn
19-10-2006, 22:44
Four miles out of Kirkby Stephen on the road to Keld and right on the county border is a decent sized lay-by. Don't forget that if you are heading East you will need your passport to enter Yorkshire!
now now Mr grumpy. us yorkshire folk dont need passports as we have the freedom of the land as a birthright but we like to know what rabble and riff-raff we let into our 'country'. ;)

Black dog
20-10-2006, 08:42
now now Mr grumpy. us yorkshire folk dont need passports as we have the freedom of the land as a birthright but we like to know what rabble and riff-raff we let into our 'country'. ;)

Eee, as a Yorkshireman currently exiled in the Land of Song (tm), tha's made me reet nostalgic. Ah shall after gooan get mi passport out.

Keld.
Horton-in-Ribblesdale.
Muker.

Poetry.

virgil
20-10-2006, 15:28
I always thought that that great music group from the seventies and eighties was a Yorkshire group..... ELO

Black dog
20-10-2006, 19:35
I always thought that that great music group from the seventies and eighties was a Yorkshire group..... ELO

:)

Totally OT, but my favourite Yorkshire joke:

The devout wife of an elderly Yorkshire man dies, and he goes to the monumental mason to get her a gravestone made. The man tells the mason about his wife's regular church-going, and asks him to inscribe a suitable epitaph. When the man goes to collect the stone, he asks to see it. There it is, beautiful polished black marble, with the inscription in fine Gothic letters:

"She Was Thin".

"Nah, tha daft booger," said the man. "Tha's forgotten the E."

"Ah, so I have," said the mason. Nivver mind, there's still room. Ah'll put it reet."

Another month passes by, and the man goes to collect the stone again. The mason takes him into the workshop and dramatically sweeps the dust sheet off the stone, and together they look at the altered inscription:

"Eee, She Was Thin."

Sorry if you've heard it!

mr grumpy
17-11-2007, 14:40
No Paul it is not the green bit at the top of the hill but a gravel lay by right on the border about 400 metres from the crest of the hill heading east.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS