PDA

View Full Version : Italy ideas please

tommytli
16-02-2014, 13:11
We were going to go portugal but have changed our minds with the help from our 8yr old daughter. She has been reading about Pompei and wants to go there. So we would like some ideas of places to visit that we have not been to before with the exception of Rome.

The places i been in italy are:
balzano reigion
garda
venice
rimini
san marino
pisa
florence
lucca
orvieto
rome
verona

Any recomendations would be great.

mark61
16-02-2014, 13:22
Ostia Antica has to be one of the best Roman sites I have visited.

Ostia - Harbour City of Ancient Rome (http://www.ostia-antica.org/)

tommytli
16-02-2014, 13:36
Ostia Antica has to be one of the best Roman sites I have visited.

Ostia - Harbour City of Ancient Rome (http://www.ostia-antica.org/)

Thank you for the info and link. I will have a good look at that now :-)

GRWXJR
16-02-2014, 15:02
I have ridden a motorcycle up from Florence / Bologna / Lake Garda and up over the timmelsoch pass into Austria. Also across from Switzerland through Livigno / Stelvio Pass / Fluella Pass and Eastwards, Passover del Gavia and more I can't remember en route to the Grossglockner in Austria.

The whole of that Alpine region is fantastic in my opinion. Stunning scenery friendly people etc.

Can't give you any campervan useful info sorry but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the area unless they hate the alpine mountains and are a dyed in the wool city nightlife type.

My favourite part of Europe I've had the chance to travel through so far. Would happily go back there and explore some more.

barryd
16-02-2014, 15:36
The Dolomites to the north west of Venice are superb. Fanstastic Free sosta with EHU and service at Sauris and an even better one down the road by the lake at Barcis (€12).

Didnt really like Garda but the italian lakes of Como, Laguna, Maggiore and Orta are fantastic. Great sosta at Cannobio on Maggiore and two free ones at Lake Orta. Orta and Maggiore are my favourites. Orta town and the view from the top of the hill near where the Sosta is is stunning.

tommytli
16-02-2014, 16:56
More great info thanks. I will start looking at them places straight away. :-)

tommytli
16-02-2014, 18:11
The Dolomites to the north west of Venice are superb. Fanstastic Free sosta with EHU and service at Sauris and an even better one down the road by the lake at Barcis (12).

Didnt really like Garda but the italian lakes of Como, Laguna, Maggiore and Orta are fantastic. Great sosta at Cannobio on Maggiore and two free ones at Lake Orta. Orta and Maggiore are my favourites. Orta town and the view from the top of the hill near where the Sosta is is stunning.

Thanks barryd for these suggestions i think i will have a look around these areas another time. I will be entering italy from austria and heading towards Bologna. Do you know of any places worth a vist between Bologna and rome that we havnt been?

Ive also been looking at sorrento and the almalfi coast once we are down there.

mark61
16-02-2014, 18:29
This is a lovely little road from Austria into Italy. Single track road but has traffic lights that change every 30 minutes.

46.887651,12.199459 (http://goo.gl/maps/O8BcW)

tommytli
16-02-2014, 18:38
This is a lovely little road from Austria into Italy. Single track road but has traffic lights that change every 30 minutes.

46.887651,12.199459 (http://goo.gl/maps/O8BcW)

Thanks it does look a nice route thanks

tommytli
19-03-2014, 08:41
Ive been looking to go down the almalfi coast. Are motorhomes allowed that way? everything ive read seems to say not and i wondered if anyone has 1st hand experiance. Or shall i leave the van at sorrento and get the hydrofoil or bus to positano?

Stanski
29-05-2014, 14:34
Wanted to resurrect a question asked but not answered.

rugbyken
29-05-2014, 16:10
Gotta agree with the Ostia tip truly stunning place we have managed a couple of nights wilding now at the heel part but came here from Pompeii best tip is use the ACSI but if your coming school holidays probably be no good but one of the sites Camping Zues is just at the gates to Pompeii and the railway station is 200 yards to get to herclulem Naples and sorento apparently it's 300euro fine driving Amalfi coast in motorhome during daylight hours too many coaches apparently

Elliejane
29-05-2014, 18:38
No idea if you can get near with a Motorhome, but Siena Cathedral is amazing. Also the hill tops towns in Tuscany - San Gimignano and Montepulciano to name two are beautiful. You should be able to find parking - we did in a minibus on a Morris tour several years ago, but not sure about c/vans, sostras or wild camping. Have fun. I've not yet been brave enough to venture into Italy in the van.

tommytli
30-05-2014, 18:52
Gotta agree with the Ostia tip truly stunning place we have managed a couple of nights wilding now at the heel part but came here from Pompeii best tip is use the ACSI but if your coming school holidays probably be no good but one of the sites Camping Zues is just at the gates to Pompeii and the railway station is 200 yards to get to herclulem Naples and sorento apparently it's 300euro fine driving Amalfi coast in motorhome during daylight hours too many coaches apparently

300 euro fine :-/ i think i will find some where in sorrento to leave it and go by hydrofoil. thanks

rugbyken
31-05-2014, 08:52
Chap on the site ( Zeus) had taken the train to sorento and then got the local bus to Amalfi but standing room only meant peering round bums to see the view.

MaryMC
31-05-2014, 10:08
I went 2 years ago in May, went down through the French Alps Annecy and Chamonix. right along the Italian coast with the motor home, visited Sienna, Luca, Florence, pompei and lots of hilltop towns. I loved it . Camperstops Europe is a fantastic book to use when venturing over the channel. I got mine from Vicarious Books. I met the couple who wrote it, we were parked next to them on a Harbour in Holland. They had spent 15years travelling around checking out Camperstops.
I also like the Michelin Green guide books for information and suggested routes to use.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS