PDA

View Full Version : west coast of scotland

drewdt3
20-02-2014, 22:54
Hi all

We are heading off for 2 weeks to the west coast of Scotland on Sunday and wondered if anyone has any must visit places to recommend? We are planning on staying on the mainland as ferry crossings boost the holiday expenses. We are thinking about starting at around Oban and working from there. Any nice villages/harbours etc? We are planning on wilding mainly with the odd campsite to empty and refill.
Any recommendations much appreciated.

Drew

james1508
21-02-2014, 06:33
Hi all

We are heading off for 2 weeks to the west coast of Scotland on Sunday and wondered if anyone has any must visit places to recommend? We are planning on staying on the mainland as ferry crossings boost the holiday expenses. We are thinking about starting at around Oban and working from there. Any nice villages/harbours etc? We are planning on wilding mainly with the odd campsite to empty and refill.

Drew

If you havent done so, download the POI to a satnav so you see places as your driving by them and you know others have used the places as stop overs. There are also quite a few water POI too in Scotland.

AS for location, i do prefer further North.
Shieldaig, great community campsite (dontaions).
Torridon for mountains and wild camps.
Red point Beach is a great and good wild camp with great sunsets.
ullapool for civilisation and fish and chips. pay campsite.
Ardmair has a great stone Beach campsite.
Sandwood bay, 8 mile return flat walk for a beach. Great free campsite there too. On POI.

there are so many places , its great. I will be up there too in April.

James

kimbowbill
21-02-2014, 06:49
i think you will find you will be spoilt for choice, its all very beautiful up there, the more North you go, enjoy.

2cv
21-02-2014, 08:16
You will definitely be spoiled for choice, I'd recommend using the POIs in Google Earth to check out the best places. We spend a lot of nights South of Oban, some good spots on the North side of Loch Awe, Glen Etive, Ardfern and Otter Ferry (so long as your van's not too wide).
I posted some photos last year that give you a taste of what's to come - http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/26364-scotland-west-coast.html
Certainly think you'll love it.

Deleted user 21925
21-02-2014, 11:41
I would recommend Applecross, not the easiest of drives but not too bad. In fact, I'm heading up to Aviemore tonight and then on to Applecross on Monday, then to Glencoe.

Wherever you go on the West Coast, it will be stunning!

ivecotrucker
21-02-2014, 11:59
[QUOTE=Robmac;397820]I would recommend Applecross, not the easiest of drives but not too bad. In fact, I'm heading up to Aviemore tonight and then on to Applecross on Monday, then to Glencoe.

That's a long way to go just to escape Haydn's Bore Meet !!. Lucky Bugger.

Deleted user 21925
21-02-2014, 12:10
That's a long way to go just to escape Haydn's Bore Meet !!. Lucky Bugger.

No such luck M!

I shall be driving back to arrive at the Bore meet Friday afternoon.

P.S. I shall probably be too tired to order a beer, so could you have one waiting on the bar please?

ivecotrucker
21-02-2014, 12:14
If you rely on me you could be Doomed. See U soon !

Why does your answer to practically everything always start with "Applecross" ??!!

Deleted user 21925
21-02-2014, 12:15
If you rely on me you could be Doomed. See U soon !

Why does your answer to practically everything always start with "Applecross" ??!!

Applecross.

Funny, Julie said that too!

Ste
21-02-2014, 12:16
If you're staying near Oban, I strongly recommend a trip over to Kerrera. Arrive early to park van. Ferry only £5 per person. Great walking & very peaceful. Longest walk is only around 2 hours long.

Deleted user 21925
21-02-2014, 12:20
If you're staying near Oban, I strongly recommend a trip over to Kerrera. Arrive early to park van. Ferry only £5 per person. Great walking & very peaceful. Longest walk is only around 2 hours long.

That's a new one on me. I will try that this year, although I don't have the time on this trip.

Can you use the bar at the Marina?

trevskoda
21-02-2014, 12:22
i liked culzeen castle and largs a nice we town,but i have never came across a cross apple:goodluck::wave::wave::wave:

Ste
21-02-2014, 12:35
That's a new one on me. I will try that this year, although I don't have the time on this trip.

Can you use the bar at the Marina?

No Idea. Main walkers loop is around the south of the isle. Marina is on the north end. Plus I took the first ferry across with the postman, and was back on the mainland before 9am. There's a parrot sanctuary, and a couple of cafe's, but being so early neither had opened.

Deleted user 21925
21-02-2014, 12:39
No Idea. Main walkers loop is around the south of the isle. Marina is on the north end. Plus I took the first ferry across with the postman, and was back on the mainland before 9am. There's a parrot sanctuary, and a couple of cafe's, but being so early neither had opened.

Looks like you can after further research. Good local seafood on offer. Sounds worth a day trip.

Ste
21-02-2014, 15:00
You can sleep overnight at the Kerrera Ferry Slip too

drewdt3
21-02-2014, 17:02
Thanks very much everyone, love all the info and raring to go right now but unfortunately the Mrs is out tonight with the girls.
As far as getting the poi's on a sat nav, which sat navs have this facility as I am going to buy one and can anyone recommend a particular model. I want euro maps as well.

Cheers everyone and keep the great advice coming

Drew

UFO
21-02-2014, 17:32
We did a 3 week trip August 2013, Camberley, up the West and along the North coasts of Scotland, 1,800 miles. Highly recommended it's a different world up there. There's no shortage of places to stop the night, here's where we stopped and some of the things that we did.
CR Wet Sleddale Reservoir (Cumbria) – quiet, good walks
LR Luss – useful stopover point overlooking Loch Lomond
CT Crinan Canal 3 – high up so great views of the canal, we walked along the canal to Crinan, about 6 miles round trip
CR Fort William – great views over Fort William and of Ben Nevis
CR Auchtertyre – close to Eilean Donan castle
LR Applecross Bay – interesting drive in, stunning sunset, did two short walks
CR Loch Bad an Sgalaig 2 – we don’t remember much about this one!
CR Little Gruinard – we did a 3 hour walk from Poolewe along river Ewe around Loch Kernsary, nice beach at Little Gruinard
Argyll Arms, Ullapool – good sea food and ale and entertainment from Martin Stephenson
CR Stoer Lighthouse – walked along the cliffs to the Old Man of Stoer rock stack
CR Kinlochbervie – on the old harbour, walked around Loch Innes
Balnakeil beach, opposite the church not in CR Balnakeil which had ‘No Overnight Parking’ sign and appears to be the golf club car park. Great sandy beach – must be most northerly on the mainland. Graveyard with some history, including John Lennon’s aunt being buried here
LR Tongue 2 – on the way here visited Smoo Cave, did a nice walk up into the hills and did the Ceannakeinne Township Trail so learn about the clearances and the Durness riots
CR Forrest of Dunnet – on way stopped in Thurso, looks a bit run down, but excellent tourist centre and museum also Dounreay exhibition. Forrest of Dunnet interesting community woodland with sculptures, art installations, a shoes off path, etc. from here visited Dunnet Head – great views, very peaceful, no tourist traps, and Sea Drift visitors centre
CR Lybster – on way stopped in Wick, also run down, but stumbled upon the Pulteneytown trail with history of what was once one of the biggest herring ports in the world. CR Lybster had no overnight parking sign but George an old sea dog we spoke to in the harbour said it was ok and the visitors centre does not open 11:00
CU Helmsdale – there were more caravans in the harbour car park than MH/CVs! highland games on the day we were there so pipe bands and a community strip the willow street dance
CR Drummond – there a new Asda just South of Tain, cheap diesel, good strong free wifi, walked along the Cromarty Firth from Drummond
CR Old Bridge of Tilt – Blair Atholl visitor centre worth a visit, did the Glen Tilt walk, also the Red Squirrel one but did not see any
CR Thankerton – nice spot, walked up Tinto Hill
CR Hare Appletree Fell (Lancashire), remote on the fells but cars still coming and going after midnight

bikerrf900
21-02-2014, 22:59
Hi all

Drew

Yes we are of on sat 22nd, packed up and ready to roll, As many have said west coast is great, fort william for suplies then onwards to applecross sheildaig ullapool diabeg at torridon keoldale just before durness tongue The list is endless just take youre time and enjoy, Best wishes.

drewdt3
24-02-2014, 18:19
Well off to a great start to our West coast adventure. We stayed the first night in Tyndrum and also filled our water tank. Great evening in the Tyndrum Inn with some very entertaining locals. Today we have visited Ivan and the sun actually shone. Found a beautiful spot for the night on the way to Skye at the side of Loch Cluanie which is in the POI database see attached. 20498 The adventure continues.

drewdt3
24-02-2014, 18:20
Oops dam predictive text should have read today we visited Oban.

Pilotewanderers
24-02-2014, 18:25
the further north you go the better it gets so head for tongue.

Very few if any camp sites open at this time of year we suspect.

You can forget the POI's we only used one which was by Dalwhinnie. There are so many places it is wonderful just dinna block the passing places as srue as eggs a lorry will want to use it.

Enjoy

PW

runnach
24-02-2014, 18:56
If you drive up through Appin, towards Ballachulish, take a drive around Loch Leven, you can wild with no problems at Kinlochleven.

http://goo.gl/maps/iqyNs

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS