PDA

View Full Version : Instability of motorhomes in wind!

Col49
23-02-2014, 23:04
I have a Tribute motorhome based on Ford Transit body! I have found that in windy weather driving on the motorway is quite scary! You might only be doing 50 MPH; but the slightest gust of wind just take you to one side! Even an hours journey can be quite stressful to say the least! Anyone else had the same problem?

Wooie1958
24-02-2014, 05:20
Air Suspension helps immensely with the side wind on motorways and also if you are overtaken by large vehicles.

You`ll also notice a big difference on corners and roundabouts with little or no lean as you go around them.

The other thing you need to check are the Tyre Pressures which can also have an impact on stability.

phillybarbour
24-02-2014, 05:53
I have an a class tag axle and was out just over a week ago in the wind, think the tag axle helps as it wasn't to bad but it was pushing us around a little, over cabs can be the worst as it it's a bid area to trap the gust.

graham46
24-02-2014, 07:21
:heart:i have the same problem with my merlin campervan it is very scarey

Neckender
24-02-2014, 07:42
I had the same with our Ford Auto Roller, I fitted air suspension and this cured it and made the handling of van 100% better, very easy to fit.
I pick our new van up on Saturday Auto Sleeper based on Peugeot I've ordered it with air suspension fitted.

John

Alf
24-02-2014, 07:47
Is this question for real or is a joke.?
Of course all vehicles suffer from side wind the larger and more square sided you are the more you suffer, even a person walking in wind feels the side wind and some get blown over. If necessary you could find a place to park.
The questions some ask make me wonder

Alf

I have a Tribute motorhome based on Ford Transit body! I have found that in windy weather driving on the motorway is quite scary! You might only be doing 50 MPH; but the slightest gust of wind just take you to one side! Even an hours journey can be quite stressful to say the least! Anyone else had the same problem?

Wooie1958
24-02-2014, 07:53
I had the same with our Ford Auto Roller, I fitted air suspension and this cured it and made the handling of van 100% better, very easy to fit.
I pick our new van up on Saturday Auto Sleeper based on Peugeot I've ordered it with air suspension fitted.

John

I`ve had it on my van for 2 years now and i think it`s worth every penny.

If and or when i change vans the first addition will be air suspension.

If it`s not on an ALKO Chassis it won`t cost an Arm and a Leg + VAT like this one did.................. LOL

Neckender
24-02-2014, 08:19
Of course all vehicles suffer from side wind the larger and more square sided you are the more you suffer, even a person walking in wind feels the side wind and some get blown over. If necessary you could find a place to park.

Alf

Hi Alf, It's possible that Col49 is a first time motorhomer and as never experienced driving a big square box on the motorway before.

John.

just jane
24-02-2014, 08:20

Alf

Its not such a daft question, I come from a family of HGV drivers and have always loved driving but the biggest thing I had driven before my motorhome was a semi high top transit.
We bought from a dealer so would have expected it to be set up correctly but I found it very unstable to drive on the motorways and sensitive to wind, I mentioned it to friends and family and was told exactly what you have just said. I expected it to be affected by the wind but because people dismissed my concerns in exactly the way you just have I began to feel it was just me that couldnt drive the thing and I even thought about downsizing.

I decided to give it some time for me to get used to driving it. I checked the tyre pressures and they were at what the door pillar said but after reading up on the internet I took it to a weighbridge and had the pressures set at 80 and 58psi as recommended for my tyres by michelin. It now drives like a car, its hardly affected by lorries overtaking and only slightly affected by side winds.

So I would suggest to the OP to go to a tyre fitters you can trust and ask advice about the tyre pressures because they can make a huge difference to stability. A big vehicle will be affected more than a car by wind but might not have to be as scary as it is.

steco1958
24-02-2014, 08:26

Tyre pressures and speed !! drive to the conditions, yes you may get affected by the wind, its a flat sided vehicle, certainly not aerodynamic.

I also had Air Suspension fitted, for another reason, however an added bonus has been greater stability in wind and cornering.

rugbyken
24-02-2014, 08:33
I had this problem with my first van it actually took me a couple of years to find my problem tyre pressures good tread good but when I eventually took the wheels of to rotate them one wheel sat almost inch and half higher than other when stood side by side,
the van had stood for a long time before I bought it and the walls had deteriorated/collapsed though the pressure kept it looking good , it actually looked more like a motorcycle tyre when off the veh , couldn't believe it was the same veh to drive after this was found.

runnach
24-02-2014, 08:51
was fun driving down A9 yesterday, fortunately, bridge was open, which was not the case on Thursday, on our way north.

spigot
24-02-2014, 09:55

Alf

I agree, it doesn't take the brains of Lloyd-George or a rocket scientist to work out that a high-sided vehicle is going to get blown about in the wind.

Some people don't know what wind is. I remember many moons ago, on a trip oop norf, getting blown all over the place in a car!, there were many vans blown over on the M1 and only five of the eight cooling towers at the Ferrybridge Power Station were still standing.

I can't remember the year, but someone out there will know.

2cv
24-02-2014, 12:23
I agree, it doesn't take the brains of Lloyd-George or a rocket scientist to work out that a high-sided vehicle is going to get blown about in the wind.

Some people don't know what wind is. I remember many moons ago, on a trip oop norf, getting blown all over the place in a car!, there were many vans blown over on the M1 and only five of the eight cooling towers at the Ferrybridge Power Station were still standing.

I can't remember the year, but someone out there will know.

flyinghigh
24-02-2014, 12:44
I totally agree about air suspension, I fitted it to my Alko chassis myself and found that Coaches that suddenly appear alongside of you on the motorway, no longer scare the sh-t out of me,
Before it would be power off and wait for the suck and blow affect,
IMHO it's the best improvement I have made, I can cruise all day at 60mph with no anxiety or sweaty palms,
Last weekend drove up to Lincoln with trees blown down and heavy artics on there side at the side of the road, and accept for driving slower than I normally would it was a non event,:sleep-040:

Chipy210
24-02-2014, 19:34
Which air suspension did you fit to your alko chassis. [.QUOTE=flyinghigh;398688]I totally agree about air suspension, I fitted it to my Alko chassis myself and found that Coaches that suddenly appear alongside of you on the motorway, no longer scare the sh-t out of me,
Before it would be power off and wait for the suck and blow affect,
IMHO it's the best improvement I have made, I can cruise all day at 60mph with no anxiety or sweaty palms,
Last weekend drove up to Lincoln with trees blown down and heavy artics on there side at the side of the road, and accept for driving slower than I normally would it was a non event,:sleep-040:[/QUOTE]

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS