PDA

View Full Version : What speed in Germany?

Beemer
25-02-2014, 22:59
Although a very frequent user of the roads in Germany, from living there earlier to yearly jaunts to date, using car, motorcycle and motorhome, I am reading conflicting literature on the speed I am legally allowed to do in my 4.5t motorhome.

I am with the understanding that it is 56mph on the autobahn, 50mph on dual carriageways and 30mph through built up areas starting with the yellow town name boards, unless otherwise stated. These are the speeds I have been obeying, of course, officer!

If anyone can put a link so I can confirm the speeds it would help me, thanks.

ivecotrucker
25-02-2014, 23:13
Like you I thought it was 56mph/90 km on German Autobahn but we were steadily overtaking all other commercials.

At one fuel station/cafe etc. there was an Autobahn Police Office; on showing them my vehicle a Sargent type chap said 80Kph max - rather to my surprise; for a 4.25 Tonner. This was almost on the former E Germany/Polish border; the cop seemed a bit surprised that we had gone right across the BundesRepublik at 90Kph without being stopped. In fact in several days on the Autobahn I don't think we saw a cop car.

To enter certain large towns you must now have an Umlaut Placket (I think that's how you spell it) for which you must be minimum Euro4 compliant on diesel emissions. Cost Euro 5 from local transport offices, about 5 minutes form filling but must have your reg doc or full engine/chassis number. In only about 2 minutes they knew my full name, address & God knows what else just from my chassis number - "Ve certainly 'av vays of finding U".

mark61
26-02-2014, 01:02
I'm sure it's 80kmh 3.5 tonne and over. I'll see if I can find links.

This says 100kmh, just as well I don't have to worry then, lol :)
http://www.gomotorhoming.co.uk/European-speed-limits-for-motorhomes-and-caravans.shtml

phillybarbour
26-02-2014, 05:48
I have always used the figures as posted by Mark61, recently drove the ull length of Germany and back at just over 100kmh with no issues.

Covey
26-02-2014, 07:58
The truck software on my Navman satnav says 80kph for over 3.5 tonnes in Germany. 90kph in Spain. German motorways have frequent speed limit warning signs but they usually refer to cars but occasionally it tells you what the truck limits are especially where you cross in to Germany.

Using the Navman truck software it changes the speed limits depending on the vehicle weight you enter in the Setup. If you are just using a basic non-truck settings then the satnav assumes you are a car!

80kph does wonders for my fuel consumption but can seem a little pedestrian on a long motorway run with little traffic!!

roamingman
26-02-2014, 08:26
Many moons ago in a time forgot, used to drive 40 ton arctics all over Europe speed limit was 50mph in France Holland Germany, but you had to be on the ball when going into Austria because it dropped to 48mph, many people were caught out and received a fine.

asel
26-02-2014, 09:38
The speed limit for coaches on the Autobahn is 100 kph, we have travelled allot in Germany at 100 kph and never had a problem. If you go to a Iveco main dealer in France or Germany it has to be a dealer for buses. We whent to a Iveco waggon dealership in Bordeaux and where directed to a bus dealer instead.

rottiontour
26-02-2014, 09:51
For a MH from 3,5 tons till 7,5 tons the max speed is 100 km/h

on "Autobahn" with that sign
http://auto-clever.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Zeichen-330.1-Autobahn.png

and "Kraftfahrstrassen" with that sign
File:Zeichen 331.svg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_331.svg)

On those roads the motorhomes are excempted from the lorry rules, which restrict the lorries to 80 km/h.

Bernd

Beemer
26-02-2014, 18:39
mmmm.. thanks all... still not sure.. 50mph? I dunno! I have never been stopped for doing 56mph .... and ...er..cough .. a little over on the autobahn, but I usually am put back in my place by 'nag nav' when she uses my 'sunday' name.

asel
26-02-2014, 21:25
mmmm.. thanks all... still not sure.. 50mph? I dunno! I have never been stopped for doing 56mph .... and ...er..cough .. a little over on the autobahn, but I usually am put back in my place by 'nag nav' when she uses my 'sunday' name.

Get a life its 100 kph

Beemer
26-02-2014, 23:41
Get a life its 100 kph

No need to be an asel.

steco1958
27-02-2014, 08:23
No need to be an asel.

:lol-053::lol-053:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS