PDA

View Full Version : Near Tebay, Cumbria

SixWheels
15-06-2005, 21:27
Exit M6 at jnc38, follow A685 for a couple of miles then shortly after a fairly steep incline there's a small carpark ideally suited for an overnight stop. There are no signs saying you can't stay overnight and there's nothing nearby... no village, no shops, no anything, just fields. Perfect for those travelling to Scotland and in need of a quick stopover as it's only a few minutes off the M6.

draaiorgel
18-06-2005, 18:20
Hi sixwheels,
That sounds like a good one, this kind of stop suits me down to the ground. Yes, we'll certainly try using that one. "Thanks"

With friendly greetings,
Ian

sagart
17-08-2006, 11:45
Exit M6 at jnc38, follow A685 for a couple of miles then shortly after a fairly steep incline there's a small carpark ideally suited for an overnight stop. There are no signs saying you can't stay overnight and there's nothing nearby... no village, no shops, no anything, just fields. Perfect for those travelling to Scotland and in need of a quick stopover as it's only a few minutes off the M6.

Puzzled about this one... tried to find it on August 14th. Could see no carpark area but at the top of a steep incline there is a part of the old road on the righthand side from the M6.
Sleeping was difficult as it is a main lorry route to and from the M6.
Where did I go wrong?

Julie
17-08-2006, 15:03
I think we stoped here last week on the way to edinburgh, but only for lunch.
Come off M6 J38, before the services. follow A 685 south signed Kendal I think. carry on till you cross over the motorway then there is a small road on right hand side (road atlas shows it going to greenholme) don't think there's a sign post. Few hundred yards on right is a parking area overlooking the M6 with info board. Road is quite narrow, so can't see you getting bothered by wagons, might get a few tractors. there also looked to be a small picnic area off the A685 just before crossing the M6, but may be too small for a motorhome, we didn't look.

sagart
17-08-2006, 18:40
Thanks for this..sounds much nicer!

Julie
11-06-2007, 09:56
had a look at this one again as we drove past on the motorway (june '07). There looked to be a load of containers/ work units there, so don't think it is usable at the moment.
Jules

Francois Naudé
15-08-2007, 15:48
Hi,
Thanks for the info. We need an overnight stop (near the M6) between Holyhead and Edinburgh, and either this one or the one near "Shap" sounds if it will do. We are 'stupid' South Africans that don't know the countryside. Our trip in mid-October will be our first.
Regards,
Francois

grath
15-08-2007, 18:12
Hi,
Thanks for the info. We need an overnight stop (near the M6) between Holyhead and Edinburgh, and either this one or the one near "Shap" sounds if it will do. We are 'stupid' South Africans that don't know the countryside. Our trip in mid-October will be our first.
Regards,
Francois
Please see my post on Shap and you will have no trouble and only about 300 yds from the junction.
Nice and easy!

The Truck
09-04-2009, 12:44
Living in the area I can recomend the following stop offs here abouts;

1 Head south from j38, thru the village, just before the motorway flyover there is the old road going over the Lune. This dead ends at the railway. You might be disturbed by railway workers who access the line there.

2 Still heading south on the A685 to Kendal, take the second right, there is a rough carpark 50m up the road before the gate. Should be quiet and secluded.

3 Finally still further on there is a layby on the left 1/2 a mile past no.2. It overlooks the M6 and is quite exposed.

This is but a small selection so if you want any other recomendations in the area give me a shout.

Michiel

wormold
14-07-2009, 18:35
I live in Shap and thee are several really good overnights. The best two are
1. to come off the M6 at theShap exit (39) go towards the A6. At the A6 turn left, drive past the entrance to Shap Wells hotel, go about another 1/2 mile good lay by pull off on the left.
2. Alternatively turn towards Shap go through vilage, Co op, Fish and chips and a couple of good pubs. Go north througfh the village over the railway line and a really good lay by pull off in about 100 yards. Good overnights on the way to Scotland.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS