PDA

View Full Version : Cheap phone calls from Spain/ France to UK.

pamjon
09-03-2014, 14:54
I f you are in Spain or France you can ring English Landlines for next to nothing if you buy a DIGI MOBILE sim card in Spain. These cost 10 euros but you get 10 euros worth of calls. You can only as far I know buy them in Spain, your phone must be open for it to work and you can go into any mobile fone shop that bears the sign and buy it over the counter. It works out at about 5cents a minute. I t is extremely cheap to fone landlines and even when we have rang a mobile in England it has been very cheap. I t also works in France and is just as cheap but we have found that you have to use it in Spain first then when we have moved into France it works. When we have left England and tried to use it in France before we have reached Spain it wont work. But, once we have used it in Spain then it will work in France. We have never had a problem with signals.

Mac of Phillack
26-04-2014, 11:40
I f you are in Spain or France you can ring English Landlines for next to nothing if you buy a DIGI MOBILE sim card in Spain. These cost 10 euros but you get 10 euros worth of calls. You can only as far I know buy them in Spain, your phone must be open for it to work and you can go into any mobile fone shop that bears the sign and buy it over the counter. It works out at about 5cents a minute. I t is extremely cheap to fone landlines and even when we have rang a mobile in England it has been very cheap. I t also works in France and is just as cheap but we have found that you have to use it in Spain first then when we have moved into France it works. When we have left England and tried to use it in France before we have reached Spain it wont work. But, once we have used it in Spain then it will work in France. We have never had a problem with signals.

This looks like a fantastic idea. Can you buy a mini sim for an iphone or is it just the normal sized sim cards?

mrbigglesworth
26-04-2014, 11:54
Toggle Mobile.
toggle mobile (http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en)
3p/min landline and mobile from most of Europe- same rate in UK.

Gives you a local number for the country you're in.

£5 for the sim now but look out for offers.

Mr B.

jennyp19
27-04-2014, 16:39
Toggle Mobile.
toggle mobile (http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en)
3p/min landline and mobile from most of Europe- same rate in UK.

Gives you a local number for the country you're in.

£5 for the sim now but look out for offers.

Mr B.
With Toggle, it doesn't cost you to receive calls - which I believe it does with some companies & if anyone rings you with a uk mobile, it only costs them their minutes as you are actually using a UK number.
If you want to have a foreign local number as well (you can have several for different countries), you need to set it up before you leave the UK. (its a bit of a clat, as you need to put your passport number in. As well as UK number, I have a French number (cost me £5 (?) a year to keep the same number, don't need to pay yearly,) but my son, who lives in France, rings me for free while I am travelling in France.

Daveandjacqui
27-04-2014, 18:08
Hi , does it cost your son when he makes these calls ?

D&J

jennyp19
27-04-2014, 19:10
no, it doesn't as his French contract has free calls - he rings me on my French number from toggle only when I'm in france

Henrym
05-05-2014, 00:12
Any advice about Data SIM cards for mobile broadband - I'm not concerned about phone calls, but would like broadband in Spain, Portugal and France. We got a WIND card in Italy, I think 1GB PAYG.

lebesset
05-05-2014, 08:13
carrefour's card for data in spain
actually , I just use a carrefour phone card in my smart phone and tether to that , 50p per 24 hours , 20m at fastest speed available , the rest at 128k , good enough for mail , a bit of slow surfing , and on line games [ only on days you use it ]

Solwaybuggier
05-05-2014, 15:47
For France, we find Joe Mobile (http://www.joemobile.com) excellent. Part of SFR, if you go onto their forum/wiki there's a long thread called something like "Foreigner wanting data sim for holiday" with numerous offers from French residents to send you a sim free. You can personalise the tariff - I think we paid 15€ for a month with 2gb and 2 hours of calls. No contract but remember to switch it off on the "cockpit" (Dashboard) when you leave France. There's a 20€ tariff with 3gb data incl 4G and free calls to uk landlines. You need a French address to register - but not hard to find an address!

In Spain we used Movistar - €20 for a data sim, then takes €1.90 for any day you use it, up to 250mb. After that it throttles the speed. I think Twenti Movil may be a bit cheaper but not strictly a data sim & we were advised you may get ejected if they detect use for tethering or in MiFi?

In Portugal Vodafone do a 10€ card for 10 hours, no max download size but limited to 1 mbps, so a bit slow.

Henrym
13-05-2014, 08:24
For France, we find Joe Mobile (http://www.joemobile.com) excellent.

Thanks for the replies. Confused by Joe Mobile - posting in 2009 saying he's back, but nothing else, as far as I can see.......:sad:

mrbigglesworth
13-05-2014, 10:36
Thanks for the replies. Confused by Joe Mobile - posting in 2009 saying he's back, but nothing else, as far as I can see.......:sad:

try Joe : Forfait mobile sans engagement 100% maîtrisé (http://www.joemobile.fr/home)

Toggle Mobile t&c for keeping your their sim valid:

3.3 If you do not use your SIM Card to make a voice call, or send a message or data, or if you do not purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date you registered or activated your Account or your last use of the Services (whichever is later), Lycamobile will contact you by SMS or e-mail advising you that your SIM Card will be deactivated. Lycamobile will then provide you with an additional thirty (30) days to make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services.
3.4 If you make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services within the additional thirty (30) day period, your SIM Card will remain active. Any previous credit balance in your Account will remain available for you to use, and you will be able to access and use the Services.
3.5 If you do not make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services within the additional thirty (30) day period, your SIM Card will be deactivated.If the SIM Card is deactivated, your specific telephone number will be reallocated to another Customer, you will not be able to access or use the Services, and you will not be entitled to a refund of any credit balance in your Account.

Mr B.

ScamperVan
12-11-2014, 09:00
Just been doing some research for an uncle who asked how to get cheap calls in Spain.

This is a good explanation of options

Mobile Roaming: Use your phone abroad for less - MSE (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls)

and unlocking 101 for those who need to do that -

Phone unlocking: practical guide for your mobile - MSE (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS