PDA

View Full Version : Pilote v Hymer A class which would you chose?

wendywo
28-03-2014, 14:50
Hi just a quick question just to put something to bed.....I have just had a dealer who I put my name down with ring me to say he has just taken in a really nice Pilote G240
A class all leather top spec well looked after ..... its 1 year older than the Hymer I am looking at and nearly 7,000 cheaper ??......milage about the same and all the same toys on it ....:juggle:
and it would come with a warranty.... Fiat rather than Merc ..... but no diff lock....o dear ...any thoughts????

kenspain
28-03-2014, 15:00
only your hart can answer that one me got to be a merc:wave:

wendywo
28-03-2014, 15:15
only your hart can answer that one me got to be a merc:wave:
Yes my heart is still with the Hymer I feel I have got to know them so well now....The Pilote is very smart inside and has a full cooker .....typical that this should pop up now:juggle:
Thanks for your thoughts Ken

Skar
28-03-2014, 15:22
I'm biased but it would be the Merc Hymer every time for me. I think you will find too that it will hold it's value better and be easier to resell when the time comes to change it (if ever).

Val54
28-03-2014, 15:37
Ouch, that's a hard one. They are both top end A Class vans. Having had Hymers on both Fiat and Merc chassis, there isn't a huge amount of difference, certainly not enough for me to say no to the Pilote with a 7k difference. But like the others I would go with the Merc/Hymer if the money isn't an issue.

Perhaps you should switch your phone off until the deal is done :raofl:

Either will serve you well.

Dave

Siimplyloco
28-03-2014, 15:45
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! The Merc. every time for me: never mind the leather trim seduction!
John

mark61
28-03-2014, 15:57
Blooming MH's, just like buses. :)

I'd go for the Merc/Hymer, no contest, :) but seriously, despite having a preference for Mercs, I would be hard pushed to say it's worth 7000 more.

The Hymer V Pilote is the important bit, and although they are both premium MH's I don't think there is much doubt that Hymer has the better reputation.

The difference in price alone suggests the Hymer is the sought after make. Still, having another option may make haggling a bit easier. :)

Wooie1958
28-03-2014, 16:01
Wish i could dismiss 7,000 and a Warranty just like that.

wendywo
28-03-2014, 16:26
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! The Merc. every time for me: never mind the leather trim seduction!
John
Well you know us women we love a bit of leather ... LOL but my heart is still with the Hymer.... I did just wondered if there was much it though ....not knowing much about the Pilote
and of course 7000 saved could buy a lot of gin..... and longer trips away...

iampatman
28-03-2014, 16:29
As you say, seven grand buys a lot of gin. Or diesel or ferry crossings. Good luck.
Pat

wendywo
28-03-2014, 16:30
Ouch, that's a hard one. They are both top end A Class vans. Having had Hymers on both Fiat and Merc chassis, there isn't a huge amount of difference, certainly not enough for me to say no to the Pilote with a 7k difference. But like the others I would go with the Merc/Hymer if the money isn't an issue.

Perhaps you should switch your phone off until the deal is done :raofl:

Either will serve you well.

Dave
Well thanks for your thoughts...I wish I had not heard the phone!!! ....wait for one to come along and all of a sudden 2 turn up!!!!:juggle:

K9d
28-03-2014, 16:47
When I was looking for a motorhome I soon formed the opinion that Hymer is the way to go, I looked at some Pilotes but knew I wouldn't be happy if I compromised on my choice. I'm sure the Pilote will be very good, but the Hymer will hold its value better, that said 7K covers a lot of depreciation.

wendywo
28-03-2014, 16:50
The Pilote has a perfect lay out big kitchen area with full cooker set off to one side to cook all those fry bentos pies LOL and a huge drop down bed... full bathroom too all in under 7m it looks bigger...
o dear I think the price difference is too big to ignore.....

wendywo
28-03-2014, 16:59
Well no you can not dismiss 7000 just like that.... who can? and if there is not that much difference apart from the name ,,,,:juggle::beer:

Obanboy666
28-03-2014, 17:11
Just go for it ! No matter which you choose i'm sure it will give years of enjoyment.
There will be good / bad points on both depending on who you speak to. At the end of the day the decision is yours.

Siimplyloco
28-03-2014, 17:18
Don't forget to drive both and see how you get on with them. The Merc is twin rear wheel drive and will get you into and out of all sorts of trouble. It also goes like stink!
John

Val54
28-03-2014, 17:18
I wouldn't be swayed too much by the diff lock, a lot of us manage ok without it. One thing I didn't ask was which Fiat engine is in the Pilote? If the layout on the Pilote is better for you than that has to be a major consideration, we spend a lot of time in the van after all. I would agree with everyone that the Hymer will hold its price better, but 7k is a lot of depreciation and there is nothing to choose between the standard of finish inside the vans, both really good. The dealer warranty is also worth some peace of mind for you, but as Mark said the differences give you some haggle room on the Hymer.
Dave

wendywo
28-03-2014, 17:37
I wouldn't be swayed too much by the diff lock, a lot of us manage ok without it. One thing I didn't ask was which Fiat engine is in the Pilote? If the layout on the Pilote is better for you than that has to be a major consideration, we spend a lot of time in the van after all. I would agree with everyone that the Hymer will hold its price better, but 7k is a lot of depreciation and there is nothing to choose between the standard of finish inside the vans, both really good. The dealer warranty is also worth some peace of mind for you, but as Mark said the differences give you some haggle room on the Hymer.
Dave
Its a 2.8td engine ? hymer is early 2003 pilote is late 2001 ? the lay out in the pilote is better the kitchen area is out of the way of the door with a good prep area... in the Hymer you enter into the kitchen and it has no cooker just a hob small prep area I could live with that and you do have to compromise somewhere ...but hands down the Pilote has a better layout. and a dealer back up Hayes

Val54
28-03-2014, 17:39
Off to earn a crust gigging now, my final take is that none of us (except maybe Wints :)) got it right first time, or second or third....... There is no such thing as the perfect van (unless you build it yourself or to your spec), each one will be a compromise in some respect, the trick is to find the one that ticks most of your boxes. If that is the Pilote then take the plunge, you are going in at a high level, neither will disappoint you.
Dave

steco1958
28-03-2014, 17:52

same here

RoaminRog
28-03-2014, 17:53
They are both high-end models (or up market, if you prefer,) and will both serve you well. Each has its good points, each will have its bad points. You will want to change things, improve things, modify things and of course personalise it, so that it becomes YOUR van. Only you know how you want to use it, and what you want to do with it, so go with your heart. Whatever FEELS right is the one for you.

Regards Rog.

shawbags
28-03-2014, 18:23
7000 oooh ! big saving ! .

wendywo
28-03-2014, 18:31
Thanks everyone well none of you said don't go near the Pilote with a barge pole so LOL that's good news ....I all ready know the Hymer is a good choice

So it comes down to price warranty and layout then... all good thanks everyone.....:juggle:

I do know that it is always going to be a learning curve buying for the first time but. its still good to hear from those that have gone before you give their well learnt opinion

Thank you

shawbags
28-03-2014, 18:31
And full oven , I personally love hymers but I do think you pay a lot for the name , I would seriously think about the pilot that's a big pot of dosh you save, good luck.

Tezza33
28-03-2014, 18:34
Unless you want to spend your time cooking roasts I would not let the full oven sway you, we don't have an oven and we don't want one, the Hymer wins it for me hands down even with the 7000 difference, the Hymer is newer and cost a lot more when new and it will be worth more in 5yrs than the Pilote, other things to consider is the payload, the Hymer has an excellent payload so check the Pilote's, I think it is 760kg which is good but less than the Pilot, both good vans though
check this
2000 Pilote Galaxy 240 | Practical Motorhome (http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/review/motorhome/2000-pilote-galaxy-240)

mark61
28-03-2014, 18:52
Very good point about the payload. I'd say thats a major bonus for the Hymer.

wendywo
28-03-2014, 19:09
Unless you want to spend your time cooking roasts I would not let the full oven sway you, we don't have an oven and we don't want one, the Hymer wins it for me hands down even with the 7000 difference, the Hymer is newer and cost a lot more when new and it will be worth more in 5yrs than the Pilote, other things to consider is the payload, the Hymer has an excellent payload so check the Pilote's, I think it is 760kg which is good but less than the Pilot, both good vans though
check this
2000 Pilote Galaxy 240 | Practical Motorhome (http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/review/motorhome/2000-pilote-galaxy-240)

:) as always a really helpful reply... thank you I do love the layout of the pilote.... I will give it a test drive but I still like the Hymer for what it is.....24hours to decide...

wendywo
28-03-2014, 19:12
Very good point about the payload. I'd say thats a major bonus for the Hymer.
Yes 1000 on the HYMER .....760 ON THE PILOTE very good point.....

mark61
28-03-2014, 19:14
Just had a look on Pilote's website, a few of their models have as little as 290KG payload.
The weights of the Pilot you are looking at really need to be looked at. 7000 is a big saving, although these MH's may look similar, we are not comparing like for like.

shawbags
28-03-2014, 19:44
Hymer snobs lol , i'd be glad of either .

wendywo
28-03-2014, 19:45
Yes got over the nice layout....... the lower price.... and all the leather:heart:... Its the Hymer practical solid reliable ...and I can take more shoes:cool1: LOL:wave:

Big pay load did it....thanks everyone

novice1968
28-03-2014, 19:55
Its a 2.8td engine ? hymer is early 2003 pilote is late 2001 ?es

the hymer is emission compliance in London and some European cities the pilote is not
Worth consider if you need to use it in emission zone. Areas.

wendywo
28-03-2014, 20:22
the hymer is emission compliance in London and some European cities the pilote is not
Thank you another good point .....;)

Tezza33
28-03-2014, 20:49
Hymer snobs lol , i'd be glad of either .Who wouldn't, but given the choice then the Hymer has more plus points for me, Pilotes are also great vans but that particular model against the Hymer S640 Starline doesn't compare, now against my model of Hymer I would be thinking the Pilote but still close

clarkpeacock
29-03-2014, 06:00

If the Hymer is plated at more than 3.5 Tonnes, I don't think it will be emission compliant. My previous 2002 Hobby 750 with 2.8JTD at 4.5 tonnes wasn't, and neither is my current 2006 Mirage 5000, also with 2.8JTD at 3.85 tonnes.

Mind you - neither is the Pilote so not really a deciding factor! Good luck with choosing - both great vans.

wendywo
29-03-2014, 06:21
If the Hymer is plated at more than 3.5 Tonnes, I don't think it will be emission compliant. My previous 2002 Hobby 750 with 2.8JTD at 4.5 tonnes wasn't, and neither is my current 2006 Mirage 5000, also with 2.8JTD at 3.85 tonnes.

Mind you - neither is the Pilote so not really a deciding factor! Good luck with choosing - both great vans.

Another good point the Hymer is over 3500 at 4.1....

Siimplyloco
29-03-2014, 07:24

Our Starline 640 is 4600kg and emission compliant: I have the susstifficate to prove it!
John
Cold, cloudy and windy here...

kenspain
29-03-2014, 07:31
Our Starline 640 is 4600kg and emission compliant: I have the susstifficate to prove it!
John

And going to get wet sunday john more rain good for the oranges :lol-049::lol-049:

clarkpeacock
29-03-2014, 07:37
John

It seems to only relate to vehicles over 3.5T registered before 1st October 2006. Easy way to check is to pop registration number in here https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces?referrer=lez

If you really want to visit London in a motorhome that is :)

Val54
29-03-2014, 07:37
John

If you think you will need to venture inside the M25 then you can check out the position here:

Low Emission Zone| Transport for London (http://origin.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/lez/check-by-type/default.aspx)

Dave

wendywo
29-03-2014, 07:50
If you think you will need to venture inside the M25 then you can check out the position here:

Low Emission Zone| Transport for London (http://origin.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/lez/check-by-type/default.aspx)

Dave
Thanks a very useful site to keep me out of trouble !!

mark61
29-03-2014, 11:21
John

Were mods done to make yours compliant?

Siimplyloco
29-03-2014, 11:35
Were mods done to make yours compliant?

I don't know: the certificate was with it when we bought it.
John

wendywo
29-03-2014, 11:42
It seems to only relate to vehicles over 3.5T registered before 1st October 2006. Easy way to check is to pop registration number in here https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces?referrer=lez

If you really want to visit London in a motorhome that is :)
Thanks really helpful...

wendywo
29-03-2014, 11:51
Ok well neither are compliant even though the pilote is only 3.5 its age makes it none compliant same with the Hymer so nothing in it there...
Thanks everyone all this is very interesting.....:D

wendywo
29-03-2014, 11:57
I don't know: the certificate was with it when we bought it.
John
It seems you can fit a filter to the exhaust and get a certificate to prove its emissions ..... but it has to be check/changed at MOT or is yours a younger one then after 2006? .... the one I am looking at is 2003
anyway I do not drive into London if I can help it do you LOL
Hope the weather improves soon for you...

Siimplyloco
29-03-2014, 12:07
It seems you can fit a filter to the exhaust and get a certificate to prove its emissions ..... but it has to be check/changed at MOT or is yours a younger one then after 2006? .... the one I am looking at is 2003
anyway I do not drive into London if I can help it do you LOL
Hope the weather improves soon for you...

It's 2005 with 20,000 on the clock, and I don't go into London: ever.
The sun has just come out, but Jan is in the UK until Tuesday so I'm just sitting in the van, scoffing and quaffing!
John

wendywo
29-03-2014, 13:33
It's 2005 with 20,000 on the clock, and I don't go into London: ever.
The sun has just come out, but Jan is in the UK until Tuesday so I'm just sitting in the van, scoffing and quaffing!
John

wish I was there...... not long now though lol enjoy...... I think its going to be the Hymer for me too....:wave:

wendywo
29-03-2014, 20:17
:juggle::wave:
Thank you everyone who answered and after your comments and help ....I am off tomorrow to the deal....:cool1::dance:

wendywo
30-03-2014, 18:00
I am back deal done and I pick up my new motorhome(well new to me ) in 2 weeks with a full service and mot done....:cool1:
Thank everyone

Siimplyloco
30-03-2014, 18:02
I am back deal done and I pick up my new motorhome(well new to me ) in 2 weeks with a full service and mot done....:cool1:
Thank everyone

Wonderful news: I look forward to hearing about your exploits. I assume that you bought the Hymer......
John

mark61
30-03-2014, 18:09
Great news.

runnach
30-03-2014, 18:17
Happy new van :camper:

wendywo
30-03-2014, 18:48
Great news.
You have been a great help thank you .....

wendywo
30-03-2014, 18:49
Happy new van :camper:

Thank you I wanted to bring it home with me it is going to be a long 2 weeks...

suej
30-03-2014, 18:56
Going to change your name to Wendywoohoo!! Excellent news, look forward to seeing you at the girly meet

Sue :)

Tezza33
30-03-2014, 18:58
Well done wendywo, I am sure you will love it, if you have any questions once you have it in your possession you know the best forum to ask on

kenspain
30-03-2014, 19:06
one problem hope it dont take you so long to decide what ferry your going to get for you two to get over here:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049: well done hope all go,s well:)

wendywo
30-03-2014, 19:11
Going to change your name to Wendywoohoo!! Excellent news, look forward to seeing you at the girly meet

Sue :)
Its a big beast Sue so may need help parking for a start but yes can't wait to meet up with my fellow ladies :dance:

wendywo
30-03-2014, 19:18
one problem hope it dont take you so long to decide what ferry your going to get for you two to get over here:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049: well done hope all go,s well:)

:lol-049::drive: No Ken other things are under control even got bookings to stay in France on the way down to Spain and the tom tom is here and working well and the nexus 7 is the next on the list......not totally blonde :D :giggle:

wendywo
30-03-2014, 19:27
Well done wendywo, I am sure you will love it, if you have any questions once you have it in your possession you know the best forum to ask on

Yes I am sure I will be back with even more silly questions thank you. You have been so patient answering all my silly questions what can I say but thank you and hope we meet up
at the meets soon ... since joining this site I have only met lovely people here what a breath of fresh air :wave:

wendywo
30-03-2014, 19:30
Wonderful news: I look forward to hearing about your exploits. I assume that you bought the Hymer......
John
now then what do you think I have bought ...your the only one so far that's asked ????

Siimplyloco
30-03-2014, 20:04
now then what do you think I have bought ...your the only one so far that's asked ????

Well, there have been a few moments of indecision. I have learnt never assume anything, it makes an ASS out of U and ME!
John

wendywo
30-03-2014, 20:16
Yes I went to that training school assume ass u me ....but you haven't answered the question...which do you think I have bought ...or were you a politician in a former life
LOL.... the drinks are on me If we ever meet up with you and Janet..:have fun:

Siimplyloco
30-03-2014, 20:24
Yes I went to that training school assume ass u me ....but you haven't answered the question...which do you think I have bought ...or were you a politician in a former life
LOL.... the drinks are on me If we ever meet up with you and Janet..:have fun:

I would hope that you had bought the Hymer, thus displaying excellent taste and discernment...
I was a General Management Consultant for over 20 years, a profession viewed by many - especially on here- as almost as despicable as that of our politicians! The big difference was, of course, that I didn't have to lie through my teeth or fiddle my expenses to make a decent living....
John

RoadTrek Boy
31-03-2014, 08:58
Hi Wendywo, I will be very suprised if it isn't the Hymer, I see it as no contest realy, a Merc 416 chassis Hymer against a front wheel drive Fiat......:have fun:

One very green with envy..

Colin

PS. It's going to be a very long two weeks..

shawbags
31-03-2014, 14:54
Thank everyone

Yipeeeeeeeeeeee !! lol , glad to see your getting sorted , have fun :wacko:.

shawbags
31-03-2014, 15:02
Come on then tell us , are you a Hymer snob or did you go for the Penny pinching Pilote :idea: , I would say the HYMER , either way they are both very nice .

wendywo
31-03-2014, 21:24
Yepp its the Hymer off course:wave::dance:

Siimplyloco
31-03-2014, 21:29
Yepp its the Hymer off course:wave::dance:

Jolly good. Want a burn up? Diff locks at 10 paces?
John
Hymer merc snobbery already.....

mark61
31-03-2014, 21:40
Damn, I'm lacking in lockers. :)

Tezza33
31-03-2014, 21:51
Damn, I'm lacking in lockers. :)Damn, I have a
Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

Siimplyloco
31-03-2014, 22:02
Damn, I have a
Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

I might have mentioned it before, but my younger brother was the service manager at the London Lotus Centre in Edgware, Middx in the early 70's. He invented the acronym
Loads
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious!

mark61
31-03-2014, 22:14
The original Lotus factory is not far from me. Not that anyone would know now. Not even a plaque anymore. Sad.
http://goo.gl/maps/dX3d7

wendywo
01-04-2014, 06:59
Jolly good. Want a burn up? Diff locks at 10 paces?
John
Hymer merc snobbery already.....

:drive: on your marks get set......lol winner buys the drinks

RoaminRog
01-04-2014, 08:44
Congrats Wendywo, Good choice, hopefully we'll get a chance to drool over it/her at some meets fairly soon. Have you any plans for a maiden voyage?

Regards Rog.

wendywo
01-04-2014, 23:32
No plans yet just getting the insurance sorted and the big trip in September...... to France and Spain
Got to learn how to drive it first LOL mad or what .....going to go with my old Dad to Blackpool its where he met my mum during the war....then over to Hornsea and the east coast
to find out if he wants to live there....then up to the moors and over to the dales then into the lake district.....up into Cumbria ...then into Scotland and up the east coast stopping along the way up into the highlands over to Skye ....might have to head back then... to get back down to get the ferry to France ...so no nothing planed...LOL

Wooie1958
02-04-2014, 05:50
No plans yet just getting the insurance sorted and the big trip in September...... to France and Spain
Got to learn how to drive it first LOL mad or what .....going to go with my old Dad to Blackpool its where he met my mum during the war....then over to Hornsea and the east coast
to find out if he wants to live there....then up to the moors and over to the dales then into the lake district.....up into Cumbria ...then into Scotland and up the east coast stopping along the way up into the highlands over to Skye ....might have to head back then... to get back down to get the ferry to France ...so no nothing planed...LOL

Blackpool is not a very good place for Motorhomes. :- Blackpool car park locations (http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-locations.aspx)

Scroll down to the Motorhome Section.

Motor homes
Motor home owners should use coach bays and purchase a coach-rate Pay and Display ticket.
Coach bays are available at the following locations:
Central car and coach. FY1 5QE
Gynn Square. FY1 2JR

The tariffs for these 2 Car parks are here :- http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-charges.aspx

There is definitely No Parking allowed on the Promenade and on the Adjacent Streets with Pay and Display machines.

Blue Badge parking is also very restrictive :- http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-charges.aspx

My Mother-in-Law who lives in Blackpool found this out to her cost ......................... LOL

Make sure you read any signs on Car Parks, Pay and Display machine and even on the Side Streets.

wendywo
02-04-2014, 07:04
:sad:
Blackpool is not a very good place for Motorhomes. :- Blackpool car park locations (http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-locations.aspx)

Scroll down to the Motorhome Section.

Motor homes
Motor home owners should use coach bays and purchase a coach-rate Pay and Display ticket.
Coach bays are available at the following locations:
Central car and coach. FY1 5QE
Gynn Square. FY1 2JR

The tariffs for these 2 Car parks are here :- Blackpool car park charges (http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-charges.aspx)

There is definitely No Parking allowed on the Promenade and on the Adjacent Streets with Pay and Display machines.

Blue Badge parking is also very restrictive :- Blackpool car park charges (http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residents/Parking-roads-and-transport/Parking/Blackpool-car-park-charges.aspx)

My Mother-in-Law who lives in Blackpool found this out to her cost ......................... LOL

Make sure you read any signs on Car Parks, Pay and Display machine and even on the Side Streets.

:sad: O dear that is bad news...why do they hate motorhomes so much??? might have to leave that off then and go to Hornsea

RoadTrek Boy
02-04-2014, 07:28
Morning Wendywo, just read your plans and turned a funny shade of green again....:lol-053: Good luck,have a great time and keep us posted....

Colin

antiqueman
02-04-2014, 14:06
:sad:

:sad: O dear that is bad news...why do they hate motorhomes so much??? might have to leave that off then and go to Hornsea

Just park on the seafront at Cleveleys and get tram into town, Loads of Motorhomes there 7 days a week, as many as 20 Sometimes but you can park in Blackpool but I have never used the car parks.

Wooie1958
04-04-2014, 19:48
Just park on the seafront at Cleveleys and get tram into town, Loads of Motorhomes there 7 days a week, as many as 20 Sometimes but you can park in Blackpool but I have never used the car parks.

The place in Cleveleys is Princes Way and it`s free then it`s an easy Tram / Bus ride back into Blackpool.

Lytham St.Annes, Cleveleys and Fleetwood are OK with Motorhomes it`s just Blackpool.

" Unofficially " a lot of the Blackpool Councillors have their fingers in the Bed & Breakfast / Hotel trade so they are dead against us.

Lets just say i know someone that knows someone and leave it there.

steco1958
04-04-2014, 20:32
The place in Cleveleys is Princes Way and it`s free then it`s an easy Tram / Bus ride back into Blackpool.

Lytham St.Annes, Cleveleys and Fleetwood are OK with Motorhomes it`s just Blackpool.

" Unofficially " a lot of the Blackpool Councillors have their fingers in the Bed & Breakfast / Hotel trade so they are dead against us.

Ha Ha, makes me laugh, my father had a B&B in Blackpool, your probably not even close !!

wendywo
09-04-2014, 22:26

Thank you off on Friday really looking forward to getting on the road and going to all the places my Mum loved and I enjoyed as a child with Dad he is all ready saying
this is a bit posh inside loo and the like .... mum would have loved it..... wish I had done it sooner ....

Tezza33
09-04-2014, 22:58
Enjoy yourself wendywo, my Father in Law owned his own transport company and loved travelling, he died at 61 but he was going to retire at 65 and hand the business to us so he could do what we are doing now, he died a rich man financially but as far as living the life is concerned we are far more wealthy than he ever was, look after your Dad and help him relive those memories as you travel around

antiqueman
09-04-2014, 23:38
Thank you off on Friday really looking forward to getting on the road and going to all the places my Mum loved and I enjoyed as a child with Dad he is all ready saying
this is a bit posh inside loo and the like .... mum would have loved it..... wish I had done it sooner ....

if you park here I should be able to smell your bacon cooking in the morning so don't buy cheap bacon lol or cafe in town does full breakie for 1.99 tea extra lol

antiqueman
09-04-2014, 23:43
Enjoy yourself wendywo, my Father in Law owned his own transport company and loved travelling, he died at 61 but he was going to retire at 65 and hand the business to us so he could do what we are doing now, he died a rich man financially but as far as living the life is concerned we are far more wealthy than he ever was, look after your Dad and help him relive those memories as you travel around

you work hard all life expecting a few years after, its not compulsory, my mate worked hard did well died at 24, enjoy today it friday tomorow I think
:juggle:

Tezza33
09-04-2014, 23:52
you work hard all life expecting a few years after, its not compulsory, my mate worked hard did well died at 24, enjoy today it friday tomorow I think
:juggle:Tomorrow is Thursday not Friday but I agree so my weekend starts on Wednesday, it finishes on Tuesdays unless I drag it on a bit but that is another story, live for today because tomorrow may never come, we must all have met somebody who says when I retire I will buy a Motorhome like that

jagmanx
10-04-2014, 00:41
Excellent
You are only to do this once so...
Do it Right
:fun:

Val54
10-04-2014, 07:40

The important thing is that you are doing it now, enjoy.........:)

Siimplyloco
10-04-2014, 08:02
There's a two year old 7m Pilote parked next to us: it looks quite bland against our rather imperious 416 Sprinter!
John
MInd you, it hasn't got any blingy wheel trims.....

Val54
10-04-2014, 08:16
There's a two year old 7m Pilote parked next to us: it looks quite bland against our rather imperious 416 Sprinter!
John
MInd you, it hasn't got any blingy wheel trims.....

Blimey, I didn't realise that Hymers and Sprinters dated back to Bismarck .........:raofl:

Val54
10-04-2014, 11:40
Hands up, it was Dave, not Val:)
However doesn't imperious derive from imperium meaning authority, command or empire and my Oxford dictionary gives imperial as a synonym for imperious used as an adjective.............
Dave :bow:

antiqueman
10-04-2014, 22:48
Tomorrow is Thursday not Friday but I agree so my weekend starts on Wednesday, it finishes on Tuesdays unless I drag it on a bit but that is another story, live for today because tomorrow may never come, we must all have met somebody who says when I retire I will buy a Motorhome like that

stop pitthing about wasting time:idea-007:

Gemani2
11-04-2014, 03:56
Hi wendywo
Out of interest what model hymer did you go for? ( good choice by the way!)

We have an old hymer 644 called Polly ( cos my hubby's always yelling " put the kettle on" )

We love it to bits , big but you soon get used of it.

Bet you can't wait to start your trip

wendywo
11-04-2014, 04:47
Hi wendywo
Out of interest what model hymer did you go for? ( good choice by the way!)

We have an old hymer 644 called Polly ( cos my hubby's always yelling " put the kettle on" )

We love it to bits , big but you soon get used of it.

Bet you can't wait to start your trip

It is the B640 Starline left hand drive automatic on a sprinter 2003 its done 30,000 miles and has had 2 owners I will be its third .The people I am getting it from
have owned it for 8 years and have had it serviced at every MOT Its alarmed up to the hilt .... and has a big inverter solar panel refillable gas bottles bike rack reversing camera
and a full corner shower and bathroom...all the things I wanted the only thing missing is an oven ...but I am sure I can get my head around that ..They call it "The little Tank" .
Given that I have never driven a left hand drive or an automatic before :scared: Its going to be an interesting weekend :drive::fun: wish me luck:wave:

runnach
11-04-2014, 07:51
You will soon get use to LHD driving. At first you will tend to hug kerb side, what I do is, fair bit of focus to rhs wing mirror, making sure I can see central line markings, which of course lets me know I am within my lane.

At junctions where you want to turn left, try to keep 90 degree to junction, this allows you good vision for oncoming traffic and, of course, whoever is riding shotgun, can assist, too!

Enjoy.

Siimplyloco
11-04-2014, 08:04
You will soon get use to LHD driving. At first you will tend to hug kerb side, what I do is, fair bit of focus to rhs wing mirror, making sure I can see central line markings, which of course lets me know I am within my lane.

At junctions where you want to turn left, try to keep 90 degree to junction, this allows you good vision for oncoming traffic and, of course, whoever is riding shotgun, can assist, too!

Enjoy.

Agreed. I hugged the kerb at first, and I altered the RHS mirror so that I could see the lane markings. I quite enjoy LHD in the UK as I'm not about to overtake too much traffic. If you haven't got a shotgun passenger it helps to tie the dinette curtains back so that you can see out of the window at junctions!
John

Tezza33
11-04-2014, 09:12
Mine is also LHD, as previously said adjust the mirrors so you can see the line markings and most importantly get your positioning right at junctions, for the first few days it will seem strange and if you have to remove your right hand to change gear ( mine is a manual) you wobble a bit but you soon get used to it, you never get used to the look on your passengers face when you get too close to a truck coming towards you though :drive:

wendywo
14-04-2014, 00:04
Well I am back in Wales with the Hymer :dance:
I did ..not drive it back Sam did and I followed....Sam drives buses for a living but not left hand drive
and he found it difficult staying on the narrow winding mountain roads back to my cottage...but it is parked up next to the cottage all safe and sound...

I love it :camper: Thanks for all the advise re left hand drive....I noticed while I was following the height is a big thing too the narrow roads around here
have trees with overhanging branches that are a real danger to the sides and roof and anything on them ...going to enjoy the challenge.....

One thing though while Sam was driving.....it really shifts ..just a little on the throttle and woosh you are away :scared: not good on narrow Welsh roads.

This is a real adventure already :fun:

wendywo
14-04-2014, 00:19
Agreed. I hugged the kerb at first, and I altered the RHS mirror so that I could see the lane markings. I quite enjoy LHD in the UK as I'm not about to overtake too much traffic. If you haven't got a shotgun passenger it helps to tie the dinette curtains back so that you can see out of the window at junctions!
John
Hi John yes Ian and Sue who I bought it from put a little mirror on top of the big RHS wing mirror that helps and curtains are well tied back

Can I ask have you got any instructions on how to use all the things inside like... the panel above the door..12volt switch ...and what is that big shoe horn thing inside the wardrobe?? is it a shoe horn??

o dear here I go again sorry :help:

mark61
14-04-2014, 01:33
Sounds very good. You will soon get used to LHD, as mentioned good mirrors are especially important. There are many available, even cameras aren't massively expensive these days.

Siimplyloco
14-04-2014, 07:03
Hi John yes Ian and Sue who I bought it from put a little mirror on top of the big RHS wing mirror that helps and curtains are well tied back

Can I ask have you got any instructions on how to use all the things inside like... the panel above the door..12volt switch ...and what is that big shoe horn thing inside the wardrobe?? is it a shoe horn??

o dear here I go again sorry :help:

Try this:
John
New File Added: Hymer Owners Handbook - MotorhomeFun (http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/63337-new-file-added-hymer-owners-handbook.html)

Yes it really does shift, but it slowed down a bit once Jan had put all her 'bits' on board!

Tezza33
14-04-2014, 07:55
..and what is that big shoe horn thing inside the wardrobe?? is it a shoe horn??

o dear here I go again sorry :help:It is a shoe horn but it's main reason is to close the roof light above the hob, the thin end has a hook on it so that short people can reach the handle of the roof light (it is very high when pushed to the top) and pull it back down

John H
14-04-2014, 09:26
It is a shoe horn but it's main reason is to close the roof light above the hob, the thin end has a hook on it so that short people can reach the handle of the roof light (it is very high when pushed to the top) and pull it back down

Well, what do you know! We've had our new Hymer for nearly a year now and I never spotted the hook thing on the end. I thought it was a bit useless to have a shoe horn when I spend most of my time in the motorhome in sandals or flip-flops! My wife is 5 feet 4 inches and always gets me to close the roof lights - now she can do it herself :cheers:

PS In answer to the original question, I have never owned a Pilote but when we were looking at vans at last years' Peterborough Show I quickly dismissed most other makes in favour of Hymer because the build quality was so much superior in the price range.

Tezza33
14-04-2014, 11:56
I have changed my roof lights to wind up/down type, a Fiamma Turbo Vent above the cooker and fitted a Fiamma above the bed, I looked at the price of the original one fitted by Hymer and spent less on the Turbo Vent, I still carry the shoe horn though :confused:

wendywo
15-04-2014, 23:17
I have changed my roof lights to wind up/down type, a Fiamma Turbo Vent above the cooker and fitted a Fiamma above the bed, I looked at the price of the original one fitted by Hymer and spent less on the Turbo Vent, I still carry the shoe horn though :confused:
Well I am really impressed that they bothered to include a shoe horn and with such a long handle they are really useful if you can't bend down:)

wendywo
16-04-2014, 22:00
ok there is still loads to learn about the Hymer but so far I am well pleased ...thanks every one:heart::D.....:wave:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS