PDA

View Full Version : Clumber Park A614

cas
05-07-2005, 11:49
Right oppersite the main enterance to Clumber Park (not far from Nottingham) on the A614 there is a large pullin spent 1 night there another van and a lorry as well, with no probs.

Or continue north past Thoresby Park and a large layby on opp side of road one of thoses shelterd behind trees/hedges also popular with lorrys.

StAubyns
12-12-2006, 14:45
The pullin opposite the A614 entrance to Clumber Park is a popular overnight stay for motorhomes. I travel through the park regularly early in the morning and see a lot of vans parked up there, lorries as well

regards

Geoff

billy1000
08-03-2007, 12:16
If you are heading back onto the A1 after your night there you will find some decent cafes on the roundabout of the A1/A614 too.

walkers
18-03-2007, 15:54
Right oppersite the main enterance to Clumber Park (not far from Nottingham) on the A614 there is a large pullin spent 1 night there another van and a lorry as well, with no probs.

Or continue north past Thoresby Park and a large layby on opp side of road one of thoses shelterd behind trees/hedges also popular with lorrys.
stopped there friday night lot of cars inning and outing and a yankee m/home there. we stopped next night and moved down the lane a bit, that yankee m/home (british reg) and two cars were hanging about seeems like it's a meeting place for gays and the yankee m/home is a mobile shaggin wagon for one of em. i think we must have inadvertantly parked where they wanted to use and they began to look threatening so we got out quick!! watch out for a big red and white ford econoline with a lexington body, a white old shape mondeo and a black hyundai hatch, we felt seriously threatened

18-03-2007, 16:18
stopped there friday night lot of cars inning and outing and a yankee m/home there. we stopped next night and moved down the lane a bit, that yankee m/home (british reg) and two cars were hanging about seeems like it's a meeting place for gays and the yankee m/home is a mobile shaggin wagon for one of em. i think we must have inadvertantly parked where they wanted to use and they began to look threatening so we got out quick!! watch out for a big red and white ford econoline with a lexington body, a white old shape mondeo and a black hyundai hatch, we felt seriously threatened
oh dear doesnt sound good does it,i think you did the right thing by leaving,if in doubt eh!
they say if it doesnt feel right you should move on,so far we've not had any probs....touch wood:o

walkers
18-03-2007, 16:31
oh dear doesnt sound good does it,i think you did the right thing by leaving,if in doubt eh!
they say if it doesnt feel right you should move on,so far we've not had any probs....touch wood:o
i did get the old club hammer (strictly for awning pegs only you understand:rolleyes: ) out and ready in case of troouble and got in and drove stayed in a picnic area a little way down the a 614 no bother and headed home early this am shame it wouldn't have been a bad spot and a nice little cafe for breakfast if ur feelin lazy

18-03-2007, 17:08
i did get the old club hammer (strictly for awning pegs only you understand:rolleyes: ) out and ready in case of troouble and got in and drove stayed in a picnic area a little way down the a 614 no bother and headed home early this am shame it wouldn't have been a bad spot and a nice little cafe for breakfast if ur feelin lazy
i will look out for that yankee m/h when out on the road,gross eh
thanks for info;)
club hammer.....why would you want that he he :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cas
18-03-2007, 17:22
Stayed there last year had no probs but things change

walkers
18-03-2007, 20:56
yeah things change allright but maybe in the summer when there are more m/homes around they aint there who knows

walkers
02-09-2007, 19:06
well cas looks like you are right things do change, only drove past this time not wanting to take the risk of stopping but all that was there was three perfectly parked artics and someone had plastered a roadsign with anti gay graffiti so maybe thye have moved on

JED THE SPREAD
07-04-2010, 14:37
Any news on this spot of late? We are looking to stay here tomorrow night and dont fancy getting into a ruck, bummed etc....

jed

vera
19-04-2010, 18:37
Just as an update we spent last Thursday night parked up on this car park opposite the entrance to Clumber park.
No problems the only visitors were 2 or 3 wagons that parked for a couple of hours each, obviously to have their compulsary stops.
The on site cafe was open from 6am and looked to have a small take-away shop also.
Hope this may be of some help to other Wildcampers - Sue

Muninn
06-09-2011, 18:47
Bit of a thread bump I know (sorry!), but this car park always seems to be quite busy during the weekend, less so during the week.

A better place to park up is south of here, still on the A614 just a half mile north of Ollerton, where the old army training camp entrance was. It is an ox-bow type layby, with trees that deaden the passing traffic a bit. Used regularly by truckers and the odd car and van. Used it the odd time myself and had no trouble at all. Breakfast van there too, dunno the quality of it though.

donkey too
06-09-2011, 20:04

I always keep an extendable wheel wrench handy in my cab. make me feel safer.

channa
07-09-2011, 12:28
Last time I was at this spot, 18 months back big no overnight parking signs had been erected. As far as I know the laybye mentioned near Ollerton roundabout has no such restrictions.

It is popular with trucks, so earplugs arent a bad idea? last time I parked here, A truck pulled up with a refridgeration unit drove me daft till the early hours

Channa

kernowprickles
25-09-2011, 16:10
Bit of a thread bump I know (sorry!), but this car park always seems to be quite busy during the weekend, less so during the week.

A better place to park up is south of here, still on the A614 just a half mile north of Ollerton, where the old army training camp entrance was. It is an ox-bow type layby, with trees that deaden the passing traffic a bit. Used regularly by truckers and the odd car and van. Used it the odd time myself and had no trouble at all. Breakfast van there too, dunno the quality of it though.

Hoping to use this one on way down to "Little Gathering" at Farndon!! :sleep-027: :dnd: Will report back on what it was like, - if my darling husband doesn't drive straight past!! Think we will do our own breakfast though, as DH doesn't like spending!! :egg:

100 T280
04-10-2011, 19:06
Passed this spot on Sunday evening on the way home, two cars parked with occupants, decided to turn round and go through the arch into Clumber park, stopped half a mile along the avenue, went to brew up, and the aforementioned vehicles were at my side, two occupants of one car just sat and stared :scared:, the single occupant of other car got out and walked up and down and 'round my van, very freaky. Broad daylight too.
Maybe they could lip-read, as they soon went.....

channa
04-10-2011, 21:26
The car park outside clumber gates , ignoring very large NO OVERNIGHTING signs seems to be a bit of a cruising spot amongst the perverts.

Sadly Clumber Park has a reputation for the less savoury side of human sexuality ....unless dogging is your thing ..

For those of you who are CC club members, there is a members only site in the middle of the forest ...last time I visited 7 quid a night including leccy.Useful though for dumping waste and taking on board fresh water ...also a launderette ..sorry far rather do my washing in a nice environment than on an estate somewhere. ....very clean showers too ......and before some one reminds me this is a wildcamping site ..I Full time and it is necessary on occasion to take stock and replenish to wildcamp.

Clumber Park is still worth a visit, the longest Lime tree avenue in Europe ...walks cycle rides and nature ...Well worth a stop over en route if passing through Notts ..

The laybye mentioned between Clumber and Ollerton Roundabout is probably a better bet to wild

Channa

Channa

Heidi
01-12-2011, 20:26
Passed this spot on Sunday evening on the way home, two cars parked with occupants, decided to turn round and go through the arch into Clumber park, stopped half a mile along the avenue, went to brew up, and the aforementioned vehicles were at my side, two occupants of one car just sat and stared :scared:, the single occupant of other car got out and walked up and down and 'round my van, very freaky. Broad daylight too.
Maybe they could lip-read, as they soon went.....

We had a similar experience recently (Nov 2011) we parked up in this layby about 6pm, felt it would be safe as there were a number of vehicles there, after a while we became aware that a certain car kept coming & going, & then we were aware that there were 4 men in 3 separate cars but obviously all together, & very obviously something was going on, one of them was in front of the van smoking, 2 others were jist standing around, we felt threatened, so pulled out & went into Clumber Park opposite, a short distance down Lime Tree Avenue we became aware we were being followed at a distance by 3 cars, you know how it is, usually cars want to pass you ASAP, not these, so we pulled up,& when they went past they were the 3 cars from the layby, we are absolutely certain they were following us, we turned round as fast as possible & headed for the A1, we feel we had a close escape, they were just waiting for the last person to leave the layby leaving us alone, one was a Mazda 6 10 reg, one an old dark VW scirocco, one a new Mondeo, just to let you know to be careful there

scampa
01-12-2011, 21:08
We had a similar experience recently (Nov 2011) we parked up in this layby about 6pm, felt it would be safe as there were a number of vehicles there, after a while we became aware that a certain car kept coming & going, & then we were aware that there were 4 men in 3 separate cars but obviously all together, & very obviously something was going on, one of them was in front of the van smoking, 2 others were jist standing around, we felt threatened, so pulled out & went into Clumber Park opposite, a short distance down Lime Tree Avenue we became aware we were being followed at a distance by 3 cars, you know how it is, usually cars want to pass you ASAP, not these, so we pulled up,& when they went past they were the 3 cars from the layby, we are absolutely certain they were following us, we turned round as fast as possible & headed for the A1, we feel we had a close escape, they were just waiting for the last person to leave the layby leaving us alone, one was a Mazda 6 10 reg, one an old dark VW scirocco, one a new Mondeo, just to let you know to be careful there

Would it be worth you reporting this to the police, especially as you felt threatened / intimidated? At the very least, the police would make a record of it, and hopefully would be able to take some action, even if they had to wait for others to make similar reports?

channa
01-12-2011, 21:12
It seems deffo a cruising, dogging what ever else spot the stretch of road from Clumber to ollerton roundabout ....shame ...because the laybye near Ollerton roundabout is a particularly spacious spot for those with larger Motorhomes.

Trucks do stop there, so perhaps a safe but unsavoury location

Channa

donkey too
02-12-2011, 09:32
The funny folk will only walk around your van or hang about if there are two people in the van ot if there is a woman on her own. They think you are into the same as them. I know it can be frightening and upsetting so do take down numbers and discriptions of vehicles and their occupants. I also carry a camera and take pics if them. usually when they see a flash going off (No pun intended) the burger off fast. But you do then have evidence of them being their to give to plod. Plod do take these incident very seriously, But if reporting, make sure they give you a crime report number. then you will know it has been logged.

Heidi
02-12-2011, 10:02
Would it be worth you reporting this to the police, especially as you felt threatened / intimidated? At the very least, the police would make a record of it, and hopefully would be able to take some action, even if they had to wait for others to make similar reports?

We thought about what had happened, & a couple of hours later we did report it to the police, wouldn't want anyone to get hurt because we hadn't posted it on this forum, & as you say, if the police are aware it may help in the future.

channa
02-12-2011, 13:47

TBH Scampa my opinion of Notts police is they would far rather catch a motorist speeding than deal with issues like this.

In a little over a week I will be back in this area again, so it will be interesting to see just how bad it is.

One evening, a little further a field between Market Weighton and Driffield I had to endure a similar situation to Heidi and I am alone so perhaps they think I am gay.

I can live with that but when this OIK literally pressed his nose against the window I flipped..............literally held the twat at the side of the van explained it was time for him to leave other than that there was a good chance he would be wearing his Testes as a necklace.

It Indeed worked, Perhaps the GSD inside creating was additional motivation.

a peaceful evening thereafter.

Channa

donkey too
02-12-2011, 14:45
One evening, a little further a field between Market Weighton and Driffield I had to endure a similar situation to Heidi and I am alone so perhaps they think I am gay.

Give us a kiss and I'll tel you where theres another one. :wacko:But don't tell rubber tramp:lol-049:

Seriously though.
Perhaps when we get trouble like this half a dozen of us could met up there one evening and kind of clean the place up?:D

channa
02-12-2011, 14:53

Give us a kiss and I'll tel you where theres another one. :wacko:But don't tell rubber tramp:lol-049:

Seriously though.
Perhaps when we get trouble like this half a dozen of us could met up there one evening and kind of clean the place up?:D

Wild camping vigilantes :rolleyes2:lol

donkey too
02-12-2011, 17:50
:cheers:We could send them to rubber tramp for councelling?:wacko:

scampa
02-12-2011, 20:33
TBH Scampa my opinion of Notts police is they would far rather catch a motorist speeding than deal with issues like this.
Channa

I was thinking that they might be obliged to investigate or take some action if they received several official complaints? But I'm no expert.

Maybe if you said that they were speeding at the same time, (or that one of them looked like Jeremy Clarkson?) they would take more interest??

scampa
04-12-2011, 00:35
I can live with that but when this OIK literally pressed his nose against the window I flipped..............literally held the twat at the side of the van explained it was time for him to leave other than that there was a good chance he would be wearing his Testes as a necklace..

I do hope he didn't take it the wrong way?!! ;)

kimbowbill
04-12-2011, 09:17

how scary, i live about 20 mins from here so wouldnt have the need to park up but for anyone visiting its very off putting, makes you wonder what they were after, i travel alone and would be really scared if that happened, thanks for sharing tho,

Jen

Alf
04-12-2011, 10:57
It seems deffo a cruising, dogging what ever else spot the stretch of road from Clumber to ollerton roundabout ....shame ...because the laybye near Ollerton roundabout is a particularly spacious spot for those with larger Motorhomes.

Trucks do stop there, so perhaps a safe but unsavoury location

Channa

We stop at this lay-by ever week or so, walk dog down to the old Army camp ( Now a very expensive upmarket holiday camp ) we have a brew and read and stay about 1 hour or so in 5 years have never had or seen any bother other than the odd car driver going into the bushes to relieve himself its not an ideal spot as it can be a bit dirty at times but we see many larger vans overnighting, there is a good car park behind the Tourist information Office at Ollerton roundabout but beware after dark it is used as a druggie buying spot the fish and chips at the Big Fish over the road are good as well.

A Point to note about Sherwood Forest there seems to be a lot of problems with dogs catching SCI in Autumn
Alf

billi
05-12-2011, 16:45
we are staying at the clumber park lay-by next week,for a couple of nites.we used to live 5 mins away,so when we read this post we emailed some friends in edwinstowe/ollerton.they sed the lay-by on the a614(just before clumber park) & ollerton roundabout was used at nite by gays.a couple of lorry drivers sed if u put a notice in ur van window saying "i am straight",u wont get any late nite knocks!!!.billi

channa
05-12-2011, 23:21
We stop at this lay-by ever week or so, ) we have a brew and read and stay about 1 hour or so in 5 years have never had or seen any bother

Alf

Tbh Alf I am talking overnight, not a one hour teastop, and I assure you my experiences are not a figment or manufacture of my imagination.

What I find is a pity, is this area Edwinstowe, Major Oak , Thoresby, Rufford country park particulaly are all worthy of a visit, I often camp on the CC site in Clumber, I have wilded, and washing time etc me and my clothes get a good deal mid week.

If I had a pound for each sunday as a young lad my parents took us to Clumber on a Sunday afternoon, picnics and my mum working out Ice cream works out in a flask.

Cheapo badminton with my younger brother ..the game with the imaginary net ..............endlessly chucking balls for the best Gsd ever Lisa ...and if you did get it first she would paw you over till she got her way .....my soulmate Kim a wire haired fox terrier , when I was born she was six months old ...inseperable

I do remember her jumping in the lake at Clumber into some greeny slime I remember my Dad not being impressed
, she was banished to the boot of our Ford Cortina 1600 xl 3 door with stick vinyl seats
for the 30 min journey back to Doncaster .................Clumber a speacial place ,,,,,,,I find myself reminiscing lol
Channa

billi
15-12-2011, 16:47
we just had last 2 nites in the lay-by at clumber.besides 1 guy driving up and down twice,there was no problems.it was just full of lorry drivers crashing out 4 the nite.billi

Alf
17-12-2011, 20:18
Tbh Alf I am talking overnight, not a one hour teastop, and I assure you my experiences are not a figment or manufacture of my imagination.

What I find is a pity, is this area Edwinstowe, Major Oak , Thoresby, Rufford country park particulaly are all worthy of a visit, I often camp on the CC site in Clumber, I have wilded, and washing time etc me and my clothes get a good deal mid week.

If I had a pound for each sunday as a young lad my parents took us to Clumber on a Sunday afternoon, picnics and my mum working out Ice cream works out in a flask.

Cheapo badminton with my younger brother ..the game with the imaginary net ..............endlessly chucking balls for the best Gsd ever Lisa ...and if you did get it first she would paw you over till she got her way .....my soulmate Kim a wire haired fox terrier , when I was born she was six months old ...inseperable

I do remember her jumping in the lake at Clumber into some greeny slime I remember my Dad not being impressed
, she was banished to the boot of our Ford Cortina 1600 xl 3 door with stick vinyl seats
for the 30 min journey back to Doncaster .................Clumber a speacial place ,,,,,,,I find myself reminiscing lol
Channa
Yes Channa it takes me back to childhood too when I was a child there were few private cars Saturday and Sundays local bus companies ran Mystery Trips there were 2 the Main one being the Dukeries as the area was called in my youth and the other less popular Lady Bower reservoir.
My father had served in the First World War he ended up as a Motor Machine Gunner he drove the motorcycle and most of his training was at Clipstone Camp or as he always referred to it as " Clipstone Lines " as we later were lucky to get a motor car we went to the area quite a lot. I will try to attach a photo of dad on motorcycle imagine going to war on this ......Alf

channa
04-01-2012, 01:37
Yes Channa it takes me back to childhood too when I was a child there were few private cars Saturday and Sundays local bus companies ran Mystery Trips there were 2 the Main one being the Dukeries as the area was called in my youth and the other less popular Lady Bower reservoir.
My father had served in the First World War he ended up as a Motor Machine Gunner he drove the motorcycle and most of his training was at Clipstone Camp or as he always referred to it as " Clipstone Lines " as we later were lucky to get a motor car we went to the area quite a lot. I will try to attach a photo of dad on motorcycle imagine going to war on this ......Alf

Thanks for the photo Alf, I have tried to work out what bike it is but to no avail. There were that many manufacturers around that time I guess it could be anything, of course BSA springs to mind along with Royal Enfield gun manufacturers before diversyfing to motorcycle, and of course they were existing suppliers to the home office with guns.

My father mentions Clipstone quiet a lot, he tells me between the A638 and the village on the left is the remains in a field of one of King Johns hunting lodges . how true I have no idea but a nice story;

Back on OT I stopped in the layby close to Ollerton roundabout on New Years day evening, 2 pm in the afternoon until yesterday lunchtime and I had a peaceful night. One car kept pulling in and out the layby a couple of times possibly a gay bloke trying his luck.

New years day a couple of trucks and the odd car trying to get a buttiy from the snack van which was closed.

Channa

walkers
13-02-2012, 18:07
Well it looks like it wasn't my overactive imagination then!!!

Glad we left and to be honest have avoided it since, shame as it was a handy location on the way oop north, just off the A1 but nice and secluded. Looks like someone else thought the same.

Mick Edwards
05-07-2012, 15:25
Any update to this thread regarding clumber park (or even Worksop areas)? as I will be looking to stop over in coming weeks as working nearby.

Ta

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS