PDA

View Full Version : Cromford Meadow

m1cxf
15-04-2014, 20:26
Please be aware that the large car park at Cromford Meadow near Matlock Bath has know become a privately managed pay and display. The smaller carpark remains under the control of Derbyshire County Council and is still pay and display. The council managed car park I believe is cheaper too.

TJ

p.s. No concessions for Blue Badge holders on the large car park but free on the council operated one.

POI Admin
15-04-2014, 23:31
Is that the car park at the end of the canal, by the wharf?

mandrake
16-04-2014, 07:54
could be the rugby club field next to the council car park

m1cxf
16-04-2014, 20:16
It is the larger of the two. The one next to the rugby club. The one at the canal warf is run by the council and remains as before.

mandrake
16-04-2014, 21:17
yes used to be free ,gets full at weekends . as far as i know it belongs to a farmer .we stayed one night along with a couple other vans a fair few years back , next morning the farmer turned up accused us of being gypsies and really chucked a wobbly . i thought he was going to have a thromby threatend us with the police ,national guard and a plauge of biting bugs round our nether regions if we ever returned ,it was funny to see him go off on one

chasingcars
19-08-2014, 18:29
spent a night at cromford meadow trouble free on saturday - paid for a full day ticket and stayed until morning..woke up to the lovely view and a few earlywalkers.
There is a smaller less picturesque carpark opposite cromford mill which is better lit & closer to the road if you wish to catch buses or walk to matlock (cost 3.60) which i used a few weeks previously - again no problems
:drive:

2cv
20-08-2015, 22:11
All the council car parks in that area are covered by Car parks: Leisure and culture - Derbyshire County Council (http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/countryside/countryside_sites/car_parks/default.asp)
See clause 57 of http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/Clean%20version%20car%20park%20order%20inc%20sched ule_tcm44-160456.pdf which seems to be basically a blanket ban on overnighting in the many affected car parks.
I was recently approached by a very pleasant ranger in one of the car parks, he did point out the blanket ban.

frontslide
21-08-2015, 08:10
spent a night at cromford meadow trouble free on saturday - paid for a full day ticket and stayed until morning..woke up to the lovely view and a few earlywalkers.
There is a smaller less picturesque carpark opposite cromford mill which is better lit & closer to the road if you wish to catch buses or walk to matlock (cost 3.60) which i used a few weeks previously - again no problems
:drive:
Did you stay for the Scooter rally on Sunday?

frontslide
21-08-2015, 08:17
All the council car parks in that area are covered by Car parks: Leisure and culture - Derbyshire County Council (http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/countryside/countryside_sites/car_parks/default.asp)
See clause 57 of http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/Clean%20version%20car%20park%20order%20inc%20sched ule_tcm44-160456.pdf which seems to be basically a blanket ban on overnighting in the many affected car parks.
I was recently approached by a very pleasant ranger in one of the car parks, he did point out the blanket ban.

Cromford Meadows parking is not controlled by the council.

2cv
21-08-2015, 08:29
Cromford Meadows parking is not controlled by the council.

Thats a good point, one of the few car parks around there not covered by the order. Think I'd rather have a shouty farmer than a fine!

Many of the council ticket machines have been vandalised, leading to notices advising that parking is free.
The blanket ban on overnighting does seem absurd. With a few vans about maybe the ticket machines would be less vulnerable to vandals for example, might even deter a few of the less savoury activities that seem rife at night in some car parks.

frontslide
21-08-2015, 09:54
Thats a good point, one of the few car parks around there not covered by the order. Think I'd rather have a shouty farmer than a fine!

Many of the council ticket machines have been vandalised, leading to notices advising that parking is free.
The blanket ban on overnighting does seem absurd. With a few vans about maybe the ticket machines would be less vulnerable to vandals for example, might even deter a few of the less savoury activities that seem rife at night in some car parks.
We visit Cromford Wharf regularly and there are often 1 or 2 vans staying overnight it very rarely gets policed by the council and as you say after the machines were broken into they will probably be glad of vans staying.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS