PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough sea life centre?!?

belladogbetty
04-05-2014, 13:37
Does anybody know if it's still okay to stay overnight in Scarborough sea life centre car park? :)

antiqueman
04-05-2014, 14:49
Does anybody know if it's still okay to stay overnight in Scarborough sea life centre car park? :)

I stayed there some years ago no problem.

mickthehat
08-05-2014, 15:23
Stayed last week no probs 6 24hrs not bad
Had a few pints in the old scalby good food
Good beer good sea views and a good nights
Sleep so go and enjoy

dydigital
25-05-2014, 23:41
Much noise from the local boy racer at night?
Thinking if staying in that spot for the kayak fishing comp in September.

clf86ha
02-06-2014, 15:26
thinking of staying there this weekend, is it still ok?

The laird
06-06-2014, 22:38
just home tonight.done a bit touring stopped at scarborough sealife and wildcamped there.no probs at all,you pay and display from 9.00 am/6,00 pm ,ideal site car park lit up and you also benefit from the fairy lights along the promenade.they are working in the yard at the rear of car park but again the guys don't mind you being there.altogether there was about 9 campers ,me Scottish/2 French/1 Canadian/the rest English/the friendship amon g m/h owners is great,when we arrive in scalby mills there was a pug camper towing a ford hobby round in circles trying to get him going.we all mucked in and got him started in the end,great advert for m/homers
just to fin ,great nights camping/no disturbances.friendly folks.F.O.C

Jimhunterj4
07-06-2014, 09:37
I absolutely love scarborough

The laird
07-06-2014, 19:25
I absolutely love scarborough

Hi jim loved the last few posts you done ,you stay not far from me our paths may cross in the future,are you a hgv r?

clf86ha
09-06-2014, 10:00
Well spent the weekend at the Sealife centre. Took my best friend with me for a girls weekend away and left the dogs home with dad, was a little bit nervous, as never wildcamped without my dogs before, but it was fab and I slept like a log.
Fabulous views, friendly motorhomers around us (9 of us on Friday night, 15 of us on Saturday night). Spent money in the local 'sprog and dog friendly' pub, and on local transport, in numerous shops and visited the sealife centre too, so the economy benefitted.

The only negativity we witnessed, never came from any motorhomes, it came from locals?/car drivers:

The Friday evening, a man urinated up my motorhome and brazenly walked away zipping his trousers up, back to the passenger side of a waiting car which the driver had the engine running on :eek:

The local street cleaning crew came to clean the prom/carpark and spent their time clearing up the spaces where cars had been, as those occupied by motorhomes were clean already.

On Friday evening, a boy racer moved the cones and drove along the prom...mind the police did the same on the Saturday evening too.

And lastly numerous couples walking along the prom, pointing and discussing us motorhomers...or is that me being paranoid? :raofl:

kimbowbill
12-06-2014, 07:24
Well spent the weekend at the Sealife centre. Took my best friend with me for a girls weekend away and left the dogs home with dad, was a little bit nervous, as never wildcamped without my dogs before, but it was fab and I slept like a log.
Fabulous views, friendly motorhomers around us (9 of us on Friday night, 15 of us on Saturday night). Spent money in the local 'sprog and dog friendly' pub, and on local transport, in numerous shops and visited the sealife centre too, so the economy benefitted.

The only negativity we witnessed, never came from any motorhomes, it came from locals?/car drivers:

The Friday evening, a man urinated up my motorhome and brazenly walked away zipping his trousers up, back to the passenger side of a waiting car which the driver had the engine running on :eek:

The local street cleaning crew came to clean the prom/carpark and spent their time clearing up the spaces where cars had been, as those occupied by motorhomes were clean already.

On Friday evening, a boy racer moved the cones and drove along the prom...mind the police did the same on the Saturday evening too.

And lastly numerous couples walking along the prom, pointing and discussing us motorhomers...or is that me being paranoid? :raofl:

your not paranoid love, they did it with us when we last stayed, i paid, most of the day trippers, parked up, had their picnic, left the rubbish and buggered off without paying, but they don't see that, they just see the motorhomers, freeloading scum bags that's how they see is in Scarborough, what a shame, i would have been about 4 times now but i go where i am welcome now.

As for the man that urinated up your van, pity you didn't have a camera, caught in the act, pfft, dirty pig, i would have got out with my dog and asked him to do it again, lol,

don't let it put you off tho, they are just windbags, if only they would take the time to come and talk to us, find out what we are all about.

clf86ha
12-06-2014, 10:06
As for the man that urinated up your van, pity you didn't have a camera, caught in the act, pfft, dirty pig, i would have got out with my dog and asked him to do it again, lol,

I was too stunned with disbelief to think about a photo, which is a shame, as I'd have sent it viral lol

don't let it put you off tho, they are just windbags, if only they would take the time to come and talk to us, find out what we are all about.

I doesn't put me off thankfully, but like you say, I too wish they'd come and talk, as even though I'm new to this motorhoming lark, I'd happily put the kettle on and discuss the positives, as until people can see that motorhomers are not the same as gypsy travellers, we'll still be tarred with that same tacky brush :(

There was a gentleman (Hymer Van) parked in front of me who had a discussion with two people in a car, I don't know how successful he was though!

The laird
19-07-2014, 08:29
Be good if the mh guy who spoke to the people read this and replied?

John Thompson
19-07-2014, 12:48
The current position under the Scarborough Council Temporary Prohibition of Motorhomes parking between 23:00 and 07:00. This car park is included in the order.
Information below from Scarboroght District Council under Freedom of Information by The Motorhome Tourism Organisation.

More details of official parking places in Scarborough Search Results (http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/component/search_gmapfp/?Country=1766:United_Kingdom&County=827:North_Yorkshire&City=809:Scarborough&Categorie=-All-&Order=Newest&Modid=150-search-gmapfp&Itemid=242)

Scalby Mills, Scarborough

(Parking Day Only)

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom YO12 6RP

Cost : N/A

Details
Situated adjacent to the Sea Life Centre, at the end of the North Bay Promenade. Suitable for access to the North Bay and beach, Peasholm Park, North Bay Railway, Sea Life Centre and The Sands development. Please note that this car park is a Council run car park and not controlled by the Sea Life Centre.

Short/long stay: Long Stay
Number of spaces 170 Car bays (Disabled bays 11), 5 Coach bays
Surface: Tarmac
CCTV: No
Secure car Park: No
Toilets: No
Opening hours: 24 hours
Weight restriction: Larger vehicles park in designated coach bay
Height restriction: No
Suitable for Motorhomes/ Caravans : Yes (If larger than 3.5 tonnes, park in designated coach bay). Charges are applicable per space occupied.
Overnight sleeping: No sleeping or overnight camping
Enjoy your stays. But you can see why people are wondering what you are doing there. Has anyone been given a PCN for staying at Scalby Mills?

kimbowbill
20-07-2014, 10:41
There is no signs for No overnighting, even on the machine, you can buy a ticket for 24 hours 6, the warden came round 1st thing checking tickets, no problem at all, strange, i always thought it belonged to the Sea life, the manageress seems to think so after having a discussion with her re parking, she wants MH's there, confused.com.

maingate
20-07-2014, 11:10
There is no signs for No overnighting, even on the machine, you can buy a ticket for 24 hours 6, the warden came round 1st thing checking tickets, no problem at all, strange, i always thought it belonged to the Sea life, the manageress seems to think so after having a discussion with her re parking, she wants MH's there, confused.com.

Correct young lady.

The Sea Life manager liked the motorhome presence because they had a spate of break-ins a while back. Although what they have worth stealing is a mystery, unless it's Eskimos looking for a meal. :scared:

kimbowbill
20-07-2014, 11:28
Correct young lady.

The Sea Life manager liked the motorhome presence because they had a spate of break-ins a while back. Although what they have worth stealing is a mystery, unless it's Eskimos looking for a meal. :scared:

:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

"Correct", "Young" and "Lady" in the same sentence, not been referred to like that in a long time :raofl:

John Thompson
20-07-2014, 17:11

Without proper signage the order cannot be enforced. The only official sign prohibiting Motor Caravans waiting is approved sign R

More detail information on official signage is on the Motor Caravan Tourism Organisation website Motorhome Tourism Organisation :: Topic: Road Signs (1/1) (http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/forum/motor-caravan-uk-laws/454-road-signs#1466)

There is a difference between parking overnight and inhabiting a vehicle overnight while it is parked. The parking ticket is for overnight parking however Scarborough District Council in their wisdom put in a temporary prohibition on Motor Caravans (being category M1 Special Purpose Body Vehicles to give then the correct definition) from waiting on certain designated car parks between 23;00 and 07:00.

Even more confusing the Department for Transport official statistics for March 31st 2014 only has 3.86 % of motor caravans listed as category M1. Therefore this bylaw does not affect those vans that are not category M1 (96%) although the Traffic Regulation order that preceded this order did have a ban on sleeping, eating or cooking in parked vehicles as does this temporary order there was never anyone given a PCN for this or under the new order (information obtained by using Freedom of information requests)

Official DfT Vehicle statistics obtained using FOI.
Motor Caravans licenced at 31st March 2014
Category 2014 q1
Missing 166,170 Missing but licenced and so could be on the road
M1 10,464 Special purpose body vehicles
N1 17,515 Goods vehicles up to 7500kg MPGVW
N2 1,884 Goods vehicles over 7500kg MPGVW
Other 37,749 Licenced and so could be on the road
Total 233,782
SORN 37,634 all categories.
Total 271,416

I am waiting for DfT to come back with more information about these categories.

John

dydigital
03-08-2014, 23:42
I was thinking of using this in September for the kayak fishing comp, thankfully my van looks like a minibus (full tinted windows).

phillybarbour
04-08-2014, 06:04
Never been to Scarborough partly due to the anti motorhome threads on here.

2cv
04-08-2014, 08:09
Don't think that I'll be back there. The town looked quite run down last time I was there and will no doubt only get worse if this is their attitude to visitors. Shame really as it looks like it was once quite a nice place.

dydigital
27-09-2014, 21:47
Was in the sea life car park last weekend, didn't stay the night as wanted a site for facilities but did speak the the parking attendant, he said it not a town council car park but the county/borough council and they been told to be more Welcoming, he won't give you a ticket for not being fully in a space, if your parking has expired and your in your van he will ask you buy a ticket to cover your stay just to cover himself.

John Thompson
28-09-2014, 07:30
Was in the sea life car park last weekend, didn't stay the night as wanted a site for facilities but did speak the the parking attendant, he said it not a town council car park but the county/borough council and they been told to be more Welcoming, he won't give you a ticket for not being fully in a space, if your parking has expired and your in your van he will ask you buy a ticket to cover your stay just to cover himself.

It is Scarbourough Borough Council that have the Off Street Parking Orders that are used to ban Sleeping, cooking or eating and in some cases motorhomes from parking overnight in car parks.

Yorkshire County Council have Traffic Regulation Orders that ban on street parking with the same clauses /B]. It is NYCC that were trying to ban any motorhome parking between Sandsend and Whitby recently. This matter is not dead and may resurrect itself again shortly.

It sounds like you met a friendly parking enforcement officer. You may not be so lucky with another one. I am unaware of any car parks operated by a [B]Scarborough Town Council.

I have the Scarborough Borough Council's Off street parking order and the Sea life Centre car park is listed as a controlled car park under that order.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS