PDA

View Full Version : Outer Hebrides

Mullsy
06-05-2014, 19:30
It's my wife's birthday at the end of the month and thinking of taking her to Lewis/Harris/Barra ect.I was contemplating a Hopscotch 8 ticket. Bit annoying on the Calmac site the way they ask for vehicle length via a drop down box which gives you 5.5m to 6m, 6m to 6.5m ect,then when you get the price,you are banded upto 8m(if you are over 6m anyway).
Anywho,back to the point.North-South or South-North? Any recommendations and more importantly, why.

Mike

kernewek
06-05-2014, 20:47
Hi Mike,

Done this one twice now, south to north both times. Barra and Uists are beautiful but if weather is pants you are limited for things to do. Harris and Lewis have more wet weather alternatives, and, being larger, more places to visit/drive/camp. We decided to spend time doing what we wanted in the south and then leave the rest of the time to explore the north at our leisure. Still need to go back - loads to do!:wave:

runnach
06-05-2014, 21:18
We did HOP 8 Oban/Barra last July.

You don't say where you live? I chose the above, as I preferred approx three hour drive to Oban, as opposed to seven-ish hour drive to Ullapool, same-ish, for drive to Uig, Skye.

Was all about the time to get on ferry, couldn't wait to actually get on the Hebs, we got the bonus, trip over (4hr) to Barra was fantastic, run up the Sound of Mull, the Inner Isles, Muck, Eigg ect, was fantastic, 4 hour sitting on stern of ferry, sun beating down, hope you get the same!!

tribute11
06-05-2014, 22:31
Hi

We are doing this trip in July but in the north south direction. No particular reason for direction except that we are nearer Ullapool so can go up the night before and catch the early ferry. This will give us more time.
Hope you enjoy.
Don't forget to take your anti midge stuff - we use Avon Skin So Soft ( the green bottle)

Jean and Robert

sagart
07-05-2014, 08:36
It's my wife's birthday at the end of the month and thinking of taking her to Lewis/Harris/Barra ect.I was contemplating a Hopscotch 8 ticket. Bit annoying on the Calmac site the way they ask for vehicle length via a drop down box which gives you 5.5m to 6m, 6m to 6.5m ect,then when you get the price,you are banded upto 8m(if you are over 6m anyway).
Anywho,back to the point.North-South or South-North? Any recommendations and more importantly, why.

Mike
Drop down box gives dimensions, but they finally vary depending on which ferry is actually on the route.
Until a short while ago being over 5mtrs. put you in the up to 8mtr. group, now on some routes this has dropped to up to 6mtrs.
Just check on Calmac's website but be precise, Terminals carry accurate measuring tapes!

Mullsy
07-05-2014, 16:15
Drop down box gives dimensions, but they finally vary depending on which ferry is actually on the route.
Until a short while ago being over 5mtrs. put you in the up to 8mtr. group, now on some routes this has dropped to up to 6mtrs.
Just check on Calmac's website but be precise, Terminals carry accurate measuring tapes!
Didn't realise that.The ferry I tend to use a lot is The Isle of Mull (to Mull) which classes anything above 6m in the 8m division.We will go south to north,coming up from Lancashire so Oban it is.I am of a mind then to head across to the Black Isle from the Ullapool ferry for some Dolphin watching.Seriously tempted by the St Kilda trip.Its expensive but a once in a lifetime experience Thanks everyone

Mike

champstar
08-05-2014, 18:05
We did the south to north hopscotch 2 yrs ago.... we rushed the uists and found when when got to Harris/Lewis we had too much time...but enjoyed it all the same this year we are going from Uig to Harris and then across to the uists. Only have 2 weeks this time as previous time was a month so don't know if we will get to Barra. If you go be sure to stay at Angus John Morrisons camping croft at the north end. He is a true islander and a real character but a gent. He is the biggest cattle farmer out that way and also the local grave digger!!!!. Watching the plane land on the beach at the airport is a wonderful site. Cant wait to get back to the isles they are wonderful and the best place in Scotland to motorhome and that takes some beating as the highlands are a great place to visit.

Mullsy
08-05-2014, 18:44
We did the south to north hopscotch 2 yrs ago.... we rushed the uists and found when when got to Harris/Lewis we had too much time...but enjoyed it all the same this year we are going from Uig to Harris and then across to the uists. Only have 2 weeks this time as previous time was a month so don't know if we will get to Barra. If you go be sure to stay at Angus John Morrisons camping croft at the north end. He is a true islander and a real character but a gent. He is the biggest cattle farmer out that way and also the local grave digger!!!!. Watching the plane land on the beach at the airport is a wonderful site. Cant wait to get back to the isles they are wonderful and the best place in Scotland to motorhome and that takes some beating as the highlands are a great place to visit.

Thanks for that.I will bear AJM in mind.I think someone else mentioned his croft in another thread.Can't wait

Mike

Telstar
05-06-2014, 21:04
Just returned from another 2 weeks on these wonderful isles. Water/fuel and wild camping again not a problem. We did North to South this time. Ferries appeared to be booking up quicker, so don't forget to at least book your initial ferry and the return ferry. Those between the isles you can be flexible with.

Here's a couple of snaps for you.

Jon

Gee
05-06-2014, 21:29
Done it last year taking 18 days north to south. Only reason was the crossing suited my schedule better. Made the mistake of getting diesel in Ullapool at 1.49 got over to Stornoway to find it at 1.42 doh! Handy launderette on Benbecula 8 for a full load service wash n dry.
I think Barra was my fave though the weather may have helped. Stayed at Angus John Morrisons croft at Scurrival.

dydigital
08-07-2014, 16:11
Just got back from a week on barra, some well equiped sites and plenty of wild camping places. free toilet emptying at the old pier above the airport. calmac also dont mind you staying the night at the termials if no ferry is due.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS