PDA

View Full Version : Wild camping west coast of Scotland

Shockingdog
09-05-2014, 15:25
Can members please recommend any good scenic places for wild camping in the west of Scotland.I am specifically thinking of Argyllshire and Inverness-shire.Coastal or loch side locations. I have downloaded the latest POI,s but it's identifying the best of these locations that I need help with.As they say a recommendation is everything.
Many thanks.

GeorgeS
09-05-2014, 17:22
cant help but . . . . . . .

Isn't Inverness on the East Coast? or does the Shire spread right across??

Shockingdog
09-05-2014, 17:42
cant help but . . . . . . .

Isn't Inverness on the East Coast? or does the Shire spread right across??
Just checked on Google it's defiantly on the west coast. Inverness-shire also includes the isle of South Uist and part of the isle of Lewis.

kimbowbill
10-05-2014, 05:41
You will be spoiled for choice on the West coast, the further North you go, the better the view, be mindful of where you park, some of the machair is the crofters land and their living.

I have found in the past, when you drive through a village, stop at a shop, buy stuff and chat to the locals, ask them where you can park up for the night, they usually tell you the best places, its surprising how news travels. I remember one year, stopped at a little shop in Drumbeg, spent about 40 got chatting to a nice farmer who told us about a car park at the top of the hill, found the car park, parked up, went for a walk, just got back to van when another farmer came up and told us where to get home made jams and pickles, as the day progressed i think the whole community came up lol, one of the locals even brought us some haggis neeps and tatties lol, offered us water and use of her shower, lol, amazing people, if you respect THEIR land, they will, in return, reward you with a wealth of information.

:wave: enjoy your trip

baldybloke
10-05-2014, 07:45
There are so many places to wild camp along the west of Scotland that it would take weeks to list...., ideally narrowing down the area a wee bit more may help, eg are you planning on travelling north of Inverness? There are a lot of places in Ross-shire, for example Rogie falls is good, and with toilets( this is a forestry commission car park), head toward Kinlochewe and there is a number of good spots, and the Kinlochewe view point is well worth visiting, from there Applecross is not far to travel.

Personally I love the west coast and can think of no better area to visit! As mentioned before, respect the people and their land and the majority of people will be more than helpful, all you need to do is ask or be seen to need it!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS