PDA

View Full Version : A place to begin

Papageo8
26-05-2008, 18:30
Hi all,

I am fairly new to camping. Me and my friends are leaving Uni and plan to travel around the UK on a budget. We plan to see the country and the Cities. We are a decent bunch of lads and do not cause any trouble.

We are looking for somewhere to camp (pay or wild) where we can set up, have a kick around, listen to music, have a barbeque, make a small fire and have a few beers.

We don't want to disturb any one or ruin anyones tranquility. It is likely we will make a bit of noise but being keen on the enviroment always clean up after.

Basically we will be a bit rowdy maybe past midnight, so we are looking for somewhere we can go and not disturb walkers, fellow campers and wildlife. A corner of a farmers field perhaps or a campsite that caters for such parites.

We are starting in Yorkshire so all suggestions for there would be welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Any questions about our group also welcome.

lenny
26-05-2008, 18:42
Thanks for the warning:eek::D, Papageo8:rolleyes:, no, only kidding but I think you'll struggle to find a venue, especially paying, maybe somewhere out in the moors in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway keep us posted on your adventures, I think this could prove to be an interesting thread:cool:

Papageo8
26-05-2008, 19:01
Thanks for your post. The original idea was to hire a narrow boat but that is a little out of our budget, so we thought of camping, We need to be able to keep the car handy (next to the tent) so the moors might not be completley practical.

Finding a spot is difficult sadly. We tried the disused airfield mentioned (Acaster Malbis) but that has been privately bought and i got the impression turn back or ELSE!:mad:

spacehopper
28-05-2008, 09:43
Theres a great little campsite in Teesdale, Co Durham - Bendholme in Eggleston. One of the few where you are allowed fires and happy to have non-family groups; nice spot by a river, showers, very quiet, pub up the road, cheap and in the middle of great countryside.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=399015&y=524500&z=3&sv=399015,524500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Papageo8
28-05-2008, 09:53
Hi there,

Thanks for your response the idea is very welcome. Do you have a name for the campsite so i can google it?

Cheers

Jason

Papageo8
28-05-2008, 10:04
Hi again,

Its ok i have found it, looks great!

Don
28-05-2008, 10:12
Hi there,

Thanks for your response the idea is very welcome. Do you have a name for the campsite so i can google it?

Cheers

Jason

Bottom right hand side is a button "Thankyou". saves all that replying and writing and is personal.:D

cipro
28-05-2008, 10:52
As Lenny said thanks for the warning:eek:
Good luck in finding such a place of out of the way
and not to offend anyone but possibly hard to do in which you already have found out.

With todays society a party in your own back garden brings on complaints
let alone in the public space:D

draaiorgel
28-05-2008, 11:57
Nice to hear you guys will take the time to clean up afterwards.
It really doesn't take much effort to lift one's litter, bag it and bin it.
Yes we understand about the noise, we were all young once, but good that you actually consider others.
We wish you good luck in your ventures.
Sounds like your all reasonable guys anyway.

Trevor
28-05-2008, 14:05
Nice to hear you guys will take the time to clean up afterwards.
It really doesn't take much effort to lift one's litter, bag it and bin it.
Yes we understand about the noise, we were all young once, but good that you actually consider others.
We wish you good luck in your ventures.
Sounds like your all reasonable guys anyway.
Hi draaiorgel,
I think that you will find that most campsites will have a curfew after a certain time, I know i was a party animal.:D

draaiorgel
28-05-2008, 21:47
Hi Trevor,
I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to wild camping not recognised campsites.
However if the guys are reasonable I don't see anything wrong with approaching a farmer for permission for one night.
Their demeanor should win the day or should I say night for them.

Trevor
28-05-2008, 22:31
Hi Trevor,
I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to wild camping not recognised campsites.
However if the guys are reasonable I don't see anything wrong with approaching a farmer for permission for one night.
Their demeanor should win the day or should I say night for them.
I think what you need is a remote beach somewhere, then you's could have a full on rave. LOL

Papageo8
29-05-2008, 08:41
If i start drinking in the afternoon i will probably be asleep before 10pm anyway lol.

It has been great to hear some good feedback and ideas.

Were not quite into raving lol were into our rock music. Were actually forming a band but at the moment we are lacking a bass player and a song list! Haha.

Its still very undecided at the moment, my friends last exam is today.

We will probably look for a decent spot to wild camp in Very North Yorkshire then we can head upto North and maybe to Scotland later.

PaulC
29-05-2008, 09:47
Try the campsite at Keld. Yorkshire Dales. Go into the village you cannot miss the site it's staight ahead. They have a "campers" field right out of the way and down by the river, they also allow fires the last time I was there. Plus it is only a few miles to Tan Hill Inn, see other posts and current TV double glazing advert.

Trevor
29-05-2008, 11:04
If you like the Lake District there is a fantastic camp site near Keswick 4 a night.
Head into Keswick and take the Borrowdale road for about 2 or 3 miles to Stonewaithe (if you get lost ask for the Langstrathe Hotel the site is five minutes from there, it is a place of outstanding beauty i have been there on numerous ocasions and in my opinion the best in the Lake District.

lenny
29-05-2008, 16:01
If i start drinking in the afternoon i will probably be asleep before 10pm anyway lol.

It has been great to hear some good feedback and ideas.

Were not quite into raving lol were into our rock music. Were actually forming a band but at the moment we are lacking a bass player and a song list! Haha.

Its still very undecided at the moment, my friends last exam is today.

We will probably look for a decent spot to wild camp in Very North Yorkshire then we can head upto North and maybe to Scotland later.

Your luck could be in if you're looking for a bass player:cool:, I know of a couple of rockers on this forum that claim to be mean bass guitarists:D, why not put out a new post searching for these chaps:rolleyes::)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS