PDA

View Full Version : glen etive

pete2530
29-05-2008, 00:29
hello

i would like to know a good place to pitch a tent and wildcamp in glen etive with my car. and there wouldnt be too much midges around
a grid reference would be good.

thanks

sagart
29-05-2008, 00:43
Strictly, camping is forbidden at the lower end of the Glen, though you may well get away with it if you keep out of sight...just don't camp next to a warning sign...the further down the glen, the more midges.
One useful spot is about quarter of a mile down the glen after you turn of the A82. On the left, just before the small bridge is a clearing able to take a tent and a car. This is popular with photographers taking pictures of Buachaille Etive Mor, but no one will worry if you use it - local tip, leave nothing outside your tent when you leave it - it will not be stolen, but Ian or Calum will get very angry with you, and being local guides their anger is based on concern for wildlife
Sorry about the lack of map references, but I am in Oregon at present and keeping in touch with my Pda.

pete2530
29-05-2008, 18:44
thanks for the fast reply. I will put the location on my list of possible wild camping places in glen etive.

Also i want to ask if it is allowed to light a small bonfire on that camping location?

hillwalker
29-05-2008, 20:21
thanks for the fast reply. I will put the location on my list of possible wild camping places in glen etive.

Also i want to ask if it is allowed to light a small bonfire on that camping location?

yeh u can lite controlled fires, but dont cut live trees down, leave the place as u found it, and last take loads of midgie reppelent and midge net as u will defo need it... glen etive is a beautiful place respect it...

boyo1414
30-08-2008, 14:53
The only place in Etive free of midges is under the water!!

This is right at the end of the road, and I believe the no-camping restriction ends at the line of trees.. certainly we had no problems

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/tanattanat/Iona008.jpg

Topic and Wanderer
31-08-2008, 12:22
hello

i would like to know a good place to pitch a tent and wildcamp in glen etive with my car. and there wouldnt be too much midges around
a grid reference would be good.

thanks

May be a silly question but which Glen Etive are we talking about. There are loads on Google :confused:

Ladyandthetramp
31-08-2008, 12:39
I'm guessing the one near Glencoe...left off the A82 after you've passed the White Corries ski centre?

I've overnighted both ends of the glen (and once in the middle but got a lot of late night noise from boozing campers by the river) with no problems but I think the first site on the left, by the burn, is the best if you can grab it first!:)

jann
31-08-2008, 15:00
Don't go in summer!!!!!

The first part of the road there are no signs saying whether you can or can't. Then there is an area saying no camping. Then there are signs saying that you can park near to the loch.

Avalon
17-02-2010, 16:37
when I was down glen etive with the van in november 2010 the access to the various camping spots along the glen had been blocked by large stones. Except for a couple near the glen coe end. I parked at a small (almost level) car park at the south end of the glen by the loch (lovely spot) but very limted for camping.

p40ufh
17-02-2010, 17:17
will there be midges this time of year???

magbrin
17-02-2010, 20:12
will there be midges this time of year???

No midges until May. They thrive on warm, calm, damp conditions.

p40ufh
18-02-2010, 08:14
No midges until May. They thrive on warm, calm, damp conditions.

fort so me sen! but ive never been to scotland in the winter

magbrin
18-02-2010, 16:58
no midges, but COLD - brrrrrrrrrrrr. Arrived home 5.30pm (near Inverness) and the car was recording -7C!

p40ufh
18-02-2010, 18:31
no midges, but COLD - brrrrrrrrrrrr. Arrived home 5.30pm (near Inverness) and the car was recording -7C!

bugga!!!!:eek:

Wee-z
18-02-2010, 18:42
Hi avalon (time lord)
I was fascinated to see you did glen etive
in November 2010. did you manage to organize
the weather as well? def no midges then :D:D:D

keep up the good work.

weez
Tony

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS