PDA

View Full Version : Which Scottish Islands to visit? / route through

Dogeared
24-05-2014, 16:01
Looks like we have the next three weeks free and fancy driving through the Scottish Islands, there are so many that we can't decide on a route to take, considering the hopscotch. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm happy to wing it but boss likes to have some sort of plan.

Thanks. Baz.

kimbowbill
24-05-2014, 16:31
I started my journey at Salcoats, lovely beach at Stevenson, then got on ferry to Arran, 2 days there, ferry over to kintyre, stayed at Crinan canal then drove north to Corran, got ferry to Ardnamurchan, stayed at Ardtoe, i'm now at Arasaig, weather has been perfect, people as usual so friendly and helpful. My next stop is the Caladonian canal tomorrow but no plans after that, go where the mood takes me, so far its been a good journey, but it depends what you want out of your holiday.

runnach
24-05-2014, 16:48
You could do Corran, then doon to Lochaline, then ferry over to Fishnish, Isle of Magic Mull......................just saying like :D

Ps, Then Tobermory to Kilchoan, latter being on Ardnamurchan..............

Kimboo, check out Castle Tioram, lovely spot.

RSD7a
24-05-2014, 17:45
Go from Oban to Mull (Craignure). Go to the bottom of Mull (Fionnphort). Explore the endless side roads down there. Go on the ferry from Fionnphort (no vehicles) to Iona. Then drive up the west side of Mull, on b8035, slowly. Good wild camping possibilities especially by Loch na Keal and also Calgary Bay. Great sunsets at both places. Onwards to the picturesque town of Tobermoray. From there, take short ferry from there to Kilchoan and take as much time as you want meandering down endless scenic and deserted roads on the Ardnamurchan Peninsular, and after that onwards to Moidart and Sunart. All magical. Quite deserted even at peak times. If thats what you like.

barryd
24-05-2014, 19:39
Arran is my favourite. Skye and Mull are quite nice.

I prefer Arran as its less bleak and more leafy than the Outer Hebrides. Lots to see and do there as well.

Sheltland and Orkneys are quite interesting but a long way!

Friend of mine just left Harris today heading south and he says the weather was awful and freezing cold.

frontslide
24-05-2014, 19:48
You could do Corran, then doon to Lochaline, then ferry over to Fishnish, Isle of Magic Mull......................just saying like :D

Ps, Then Tobermory to Kilchoan, latter being on Ardnamurchan..............

Kimboo, check out Castle Tioram, lovely spot.
Second that.
Castle Tioram

runnach
25-05-2014, 21:07
Your pics make me want to phone in sick, tomorrow!

frontslide
26-05-2014, 09:51
Your pics make me want to phone in sick, tomorrow!
My pics make me want to go back, today!:cool:

nipagan
26-05-2014, 10:25
go in at south Usit - Nort usit - Harris - Lewis and pop out at the top in storoway , did it last year one of the best trips you'll ever do

pipstrix
26-05-2014, 10:39
Looks like we have the next three weeks free and fancy driving through the Scottish Islands, there are so many that we can't decide on a route to take, considering the hopscotch. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm happy to wing it but boss likes to have some sort of plan.

Thanks. Baz.

Hope you have a wonderful trip but do try and include Isle of Mull. Fidden Campsite near Fionnphort is stunning - you can camp right on the beach. Or, for a bit of wild camping, along the shores of Loch Na Keal. I've heard Islay is beautiful.

I've been to the outer hebrides in the summer and it was cold wet and bleak BUT if the weather's good then some of the beaches are the most stunning you'll see. Bara is lovely.

Go to Calmacs website for some inspiration. Enjoy, you lucky campers

ashbyspannerman
26-05-2014, 12:14
If you see the boat coming across from Shona House it will probably be my mate Paul, he used to work for a company that laid tennis courts, went up to shona to quote for one and never came back! he now manages the big house on Shona and lives on the island next door!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z120/ashbyspannerman/20140513_154619.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/ashbyspannerman/media/20140513_154619.jpg.html)

frontslide
26-05-2014, 15:16
Hope you have a wonderful trip but do try and include Isle of Mull. Fidden Campsite near Fionnphort is stunning - you can camp right on the beach. Or, for a bit of wild camping, along the shores of Loch Na Keal. I've heard Islay is beautiful.

I've been to the outer hebrides in the summer and it was cold wet and bleak BUT if the weather's good then some of the beaches are the most stunning you'll see. Bara is lovely.

Go to Calmacs website for some inspiration. Enjoy, you lucky campers
First place we stayed on Mull really calming place felt so relaxed!

Lochbuie at midnight2288222883

kennymac
26-05-2014, 15:26
Came back from Machrihanish on the Mull of Kintyre this afternoon and leaving for Barra on Wednesday, going from there to Lewis and over to Ullapool over the next 3 weeks.

Black 4x4 with an Apollo demountable ,give us a hoot and a wave if we pass.

winks
26-05-2014, 18:39
I always suggest this trip whenever anyone asks about Mull, because it made such a big impression on me.

If you have a look on the internet for a company called Turus Mara and decide to go on their day trip from Ulva Ferry out to Fngal's Cave and the Treshnish islands you will never regret it. It takes up about six hours out of your day but ,at this time of the year you will experience Puffin overload.

As someone else has said Fidden Farm is ok if you want a night at a site that isn't really a site and Iona is a must.

Goaskalys
26-05-2014, 22:01
We loved Mull and you can get a boat out to Staffa and see Fingal's cave which is one of the wonders of the world.

Oh how I miss the Highlands, I can hear them calling me...

runnach
26-05-2014, 22:15
These Islands west of Iona, use to be a really good area for Cray Fish, until it got fished out. It's surprising no one offers a trip around Islands, there are no caves, but there are multiple columns of Basaltic Pillars, similar to Fingals Cave. I can't recall name of islands, fishermen named them "The Railings" as the basaltic pillars do look like a loooooooooooooong line of railings!

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=56.348262,-6.462064&spn=0.007408,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Treshnish Isles and Fingals Cave, are of course worth a visit, too.

Vanterrier
27-05-2014, 21:40
I agree with everything said about Arran and Mull but you really should fit Islay and Jura in between those two. Islay is a great island although the smaller roads are quite bumpy theres loads of wold sites at the head of the loch near Bridgend
When there you should definitely cross to Jura, its a delight. Wild just north of Craighouse.
Uists are also nice but Harris and Lewis (on the west side) are worth the trek.
3 weeks will not be enough to do them all justice but will be possible if you move on each day...
Good luck and enjoy - we have just about completed the same trip and are on the last leg before going home but we are already planning to return to fill the gaps in this trip...
K

Vanterrier
27-05-2014, 21:42
Oh and when on Mull take a trip over to Ulva to get a feel for a deserted island...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS