PDA

View Full Version : Trumpan Church, Waternish Point, Skye

veletron
30-05-2014, 09:30
OSGB: NG 224 612
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.555752,-6.641533,3a,75y,6.09h,78.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snltcRoyIrHGiH7eYsmmyYw!2e0
57.555669, -6.641662

The church is just a church yard, nice views out to the drink, nice walk out to Waternish point lighthouse.

Try the pub in Stein for beer/food on your way out/back

Nigel

POI Admin
30-05-2014, 14:34
Thanks for the suggestion - I've added it to the Wild Camp POIs :D

sagart
02-06-2014, 18:37
Personally I would prefer this is not added to the Poi's. as a recommended spot, though no one can be prevented from using it.

The church may well be a ruin but the cemetery is in regular (unfortunately) use.
The open section of the graveyard lies behind the church and cannot be seen in Street View while the building itself is often used by all denominations for weddings,,,I know because I have taken several there myself.
The area was actually provided for the use of visitors to the historic site and for those attending funerals or weddings.

People here are very tolerant, but misuse of facilities such as these has in the past given motorhome owners a bad name.
Last week a church in Portree had two motorhomes parked in its car park over Saturday night, presumably rather than be a 5 minute walk away in the large, free and motorhome friendly car park near the centre. It is regarded as definitely inappropriate behaviour.

POI Admin
06-06-2014, 16:50
I have removed it from the POIs - this has been raised before if I recall correctly ...

sagart
07-06-2014, 08:33
Yes, also by me just after I had gone to conduct a wedding and found a Hymer parked in the middle of the car park.
One other to remove also is in Portree on the B885 Shown as CU Portree 1.
This is now part of a development for the University of the Highlands and Islands and has been built on.

Jimhunterj4
07-06-2014, 09:33
Can you still park at the car park for the fairy pools ? Were planning a visit to sky and uist in 5 weeks. Any info would be welcome thankyou. Oh and where's the best place to get ferry

sagart
07-06-2014, 10:47
Yes to the Fairy Pools car park which has just been enlarged.
Ferries I prefer are Mallaig to Armadale then Uig on Skye to Lochmaddy if going from the mainland to Uist.
Alternative is Uig-Tarbert then down Harris to Leverburgh crossing to Berneray....Ensure you book as according to Calmac, every Saturday from Harris is already booked up until August.
You can also stay on Berneray and the terminal has water and toilet emptying facilities.

POI Admin
07-06-2014, 12:44
One other to remove also is in Portree on the B885 Shown as CU Portree 1.
This is now part of a development for the University of the Highlands and Islands and has been built on.

Thanks for the update - I've removed it from the Wild Camp POIs ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS