PDA

View Full Version : RSPB - Northward Hill, Cooling

Flamingteacher
02-06-2014, 21:13
Arrived Saturday nght. One other vehicle parked up. Very secluded.
Follow the brown signs for RSPB NORTHWARD RESERVE/
Drive down farm track until car park appears.
Possibly one of the most beautiful placces in Uk; certainly in the South East. Stunning,sums it up really.
Open all year round, at all hours-one unisex/disabled access toiilet washroom.

POI Admin
03-06-2014, 00:09
Thank you for the info - I've added it to the Wild Camp POIs :D

Wooie1958
03-06-2014, 05:10
Possibly one of the most beautiful placces in Uk; certainly in the South East. Stunning,sums it up really.
Signs say No Dogs-we took our terrers on leads & the very few other visitors didn't [apparently] object

I was under the impression that if a sign says " No Dogs " it actually means No Dogs ( except Guide / Assistance Dogs in certain circumstances ) ?

Evs54
03-06-2014, 06:20
Signs say No Dogs-we took our terrers on leads & the very few other visitors didn't [apparently] object

The next time you go there will probably be a dozen vans in front of you , and after that another sign saying no overnight parking .

Sharon the Cat
03-06-2014, 06:20
Maybe it was so nice because there were no dog walkers?

The RSPB allow dogs on leads on most of their reserves. If the sign said no dogs it should have been respected, especially as birds are still nesting with young.

I hope POI Admin is able to note the no dogs on the info as we would not stay there (being responsible dog owners).

Wooie1958
03-06-2014, 07:20
Maybe it was so nice because there were no dog walkers?

The RSPB allow dogs on leads on most of their reserves. If the sign said no dogs it should have been respected, especially as birds are still nesting with young.

I hope POI Admin is able to note the no dogs on the info as we would not stay there (being responsible dog owners).

Here Here, Well Said.

Flamingteacher
03-06-2014, 11:05
Hmmm, wild camping has its own battalion of self appointed moral custodians I see. As a newbie am disappointed by my detractors, though not entirely surprised; I, could have joined The Caravan Club! If I'd wanted to do prissy. Not sure am the calibre of member you want, not sure Ill be renewing membership after all!
Groucho Marx said, I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member.
Looking forward to being upbraided by my Lancastrian threader & cat-loving contributor. How many garden birds does your cat kill in a year?
Arrived late, left early & left no evidence of ever having been there.

Sharon the Cat
03-06-2014, 11:34
Hmmm, wild camping has its own battalion of self appointed moral custodians I see. As a newbie am disappointed by my detractors, though not entirely surprised; I, could have joined The Caravan Club! If I'd wanted to do prissy. Not sure am the calibre of member you want, not sure Ill be renewing membership after all!
Groucho Marx said, I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member.
Looking forward to being upbraided by my Lancastrian threader & cat-loving contributor. How many garden birds does your cat kill in a year?

I don't see what the Caravan Club or cats have to do with it.

If you park up and walk your dogs somewhere where dogs are prohibited you are one of those who will get us a bad name.

Wooie1958
03-06-2014, 11:42

The " No Dogs " signs are there for a reason and not to just annoy you.

portiapug
03-06-2014, 12:33

Take no notice of the criticism Flamingteacher. Not everyone on here is a nitpicker, pedant or miserable git.

As me Granny used to say, 'Empty vessels make the most noise'. :sad:

POI Admin
03-06-2014, 13:26

Yes I have done just that ...

Sharon the Cat
03-06-2014, 17:00
Yes I have done just that ...

Ooh ta x

Morphology
27-07-2015, 06:39
I am at Northward Hill RSPB reserve at this very moment - hooked into a FON Spot in the neighbouring farmhouse via my long range wi fi aerial...

To be clear, dogs are only not allowed in the reserve itself. It is clearly noted that dogs ARE allowed along the saxon Shore way which borders the reserve.

Also, I was visited at 18:30 last night by an Intern and two senior wardens who said they don't allow motorhomes to stay overnight. Health and Safety issues and all that.....

I was very polite, and pointed out that there were no signs to that effect, and that I had hoped to visit the reserve at first light this morning, and would probably be away by 9am.

They backed down a bit after that and said, well that's fine then, but just to let you know that we lock the gate at the end of the lane from 6pm - 6am so you won't be able to get out between those times.

It is indeed a very peaceful place. No views from the carpark, which is a shame.

I walked the 3.7 km Heronry Trail at first light this morning, which just led to a seat marked 'Heronry Viewpoint' from which there was no view whatsoever....

Morph

POI Admin
27-07-2015, 13:46
Thanks for the update.

I have removed it from the POIs ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS