PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Skye location Dunvegan, Hallin, Isle of Skye, Highland IV55

james1508
06-06-2014, 15:38
57.555974, -6.641600 CR

great view point with tables and bin.

http://goo.gl/maps/nGxrl

POI Admin
06-06-2014, 16:51
Thanks for the suggestion.

Please take a look at this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/37298-trumpan-church-waternish-point-skye.html#post428585

I have decided against adding it to the POIs.

champstar
07-06-2014, 08:08
it looks like a great stop but as has been previously posted it is a sensitive area for the locals....there are plenty more places around Skye that wont cause any upset.

james1508
07-06-2014, 09:02
No problem. I am a bit surprised though as there are many POI you could regard as sensitive areas. As long as we all respect them and dont park up for days then there should be no issues with areas like this . I must admit i was surprised it wasn't listed and if i had spotted POI Admins link to the other person submission then i wouldn't of submitted it. As for locals being tolerant around this area there are many No overnight parking Signs in this area of Skye so wouldn't agree. They do wave though as you pass :-)

regards

sagart
07-06-2014, 11:05
Nearly every No overnight sign was put up by the Highways and, by & large have no legal force.
There is an official one in Broadford car park but I've not known it enforced in all my years up here.
I'm not aware of any "put up by the locals" as was once claimed (though not by you!) except where access to property is required.

As to sensitivity ...
My comments about this did not go into any real detail, but. last August I took a funeral at Trumpan and, up here, that involves the whole community.

Case in point Linda Norgrove funeral: Hundreds of mourners turn out for aid worker killed in Afghanistan | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323939/Linda-Norgrove-funeral-Hundreds-mourners-turn-aid-worker-killed-Afghanistan.html)
At Trumpan there were over 300 mourners and, when we arrived, there were two vans in the car park parked fairly centrally, one with its awning out, the other with a barbecue smoking.
How would you have liked that if it had been a funeral of a member of your family?

james1508
07-06-2014, 11:42
Nearly every No overnight sign was put up by the Highways and, by & large have no legal force.
There is an official one in Broadford car park but I've not known it enforced in all my years up here.
I'm not aware of any "put up by the locals" except where access to property is required.

As to sensitivity ...
My comments about this did not go into any real detail, but. last August I took a funeral at Trumpan and, up here, that involves the whole community.

Case in point Linda Norgrove funeral: Hundreds of mourners turn out for aid worker killed in Afghanistan | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323939/Linda-Norgrove-funeral-Hundreds-mourners-turn-aid-worker-killed-Afghanistan.html)
At Trumpan there were over 300 mourners and, when we arrived, there were two vans in the car park parked fairly centrally, one with its awning out, the other with a barbecue smoking.
How would you have liked that if it had been a funeral of a member of your family?

This is what responsible camping is about , not parking for days at a time , not having the awning out , not lighting fires or BBQs, picking rubbish up that others have discarded . Hopefully your experiences was none of the Forums members therefore this would of happened anyway. I understand the issues of parking at the service but maybe a temporary closure of the car park the day before the funeral would of been good planning if there was so many people going to it with a notice respectfully explaining why its closed. However If a vehicle parks up for the night it should not get in the way of any services being held unless they have them at night up North ? Your are probably going to get more problems with walkers parking up for hours while they do the walk. I am also a walker, should we be banned too ? The No over night parking signs i refer to are the one at Niest Point, Dunvegan car park and Stein village by the harbour (which makes no sense at im sure the pub would of benefitted)

Without locations like this being an option how many more POI will be removed ?

James

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS