PDA

View Full Version : North Yorkshire Wild Camping Sites Update

DorisBoris
10-06-2014, 12:10
Recent travels on the North Yorkshire coast cause us to offer the following information about sites on the POI database:

CU Whitby and CU Whitby 1 both have brand new signs on the lamp posts banning the parking of motorhomes between the hours of 11pm and 7 am.
CR Flamborough Head (East Riding) has a sign saying "No camping, caravans or trailers". Whether staying in a motorhome can be described as "camping" is open to interpretation. According to the Oxford Dictionary, camping involves specifically only a tent, whereas Wikipedia says that camping can be in any number of structures including motorhomes.

donkey too
10-06-2014, 12:56
It also says 'Caravans' and a motor van/camper/home whatever is legally a Motor Caravan.

POI Admin
10-06-2014, 14:15
Recent travels on the North Yorkshire coast cause us to offer the following information about sites on the POI database:

CU Whitby and CU Whitby 1 both have brand new signs on the lamp posts banning the parking of motorhomes between the hours of 11pm and 7 am.
CR Flamborough Head (East Riding) has a sign saying "No camping, caravans or trailers". Whether staying in a motorhome can be described as "camping" is open to interpretation. According to the Oxford Dictionary, camping involves specifically only a tent, whereas Wikipedia says that camping can be in any number of structures including motorhomes.

Thanks for the information.

I have removed the Whitby car parks from the Wild Camp POIs.

The Flamborough Head location was removed quite a while ago, so you must be using a significantly out of date version of the POIs.

I'd advise you to download the current version and update all your devices.

frontslide
10-06-2014, 16:06
Whilst on the subject of NY i parked in the station car park in Robin hoods bay Saturday evening (used to be in the data base). We were having a look at a Merc camper van that had a for sale sign in the window when the chap in a coach built parked near by came talking to us as it was his mates van. Long story short he regularly visits and overnights in the car park and has never had any problems also there were 8 other vans parked up and all were still in the same positions when we returned Sunday morning. Car park charges are from 8am to 6pm there is a sign that states no overnight sleeping.
Not our preferred type of location for overnight but the sign wouldn't put me off if it were.

kimbowbill
12-06-2014, 07:15
TBH i take no notice of the signs too, but Admin can't put these on the list.

I had only had one nosey neighbour approach me in Scotland, it was early evening in Lossiemouth, i had seen what looked like an Eagle and parked up to get my noculers out, i was sat in my front seat and he came banging on my window, god damn nearly pood myself, he made me jump, i wound my window down, "don't think your stopping there tonight", he said, "actually, 10 of my travelling buddies are coming along shortly, hang around sir, and i will introduce you", i replied, lol, he just trundled off down the road, chuntering something, anyhow, i wasn't staying there, i had a much nicer spot lined up. The thing is, you will always get somebody not liking what you do, i've stopped caring now, i don't do anything wrong, i never park where there are loads of houses, i always park sensibly, and if car park is busy, i always offer folk my spot or park behind me, common sense really.

yeoblade
12-06-2014, 21:55
deleted , posted in wrong place

molly 2
13-06-2014, 00:26

So is sleeping in car clased. As camping

QFour
13-06-2014, 08:25
Stopped at Flamborough Head last week. Parked up out of the way with a sea view. Paid my 2.40 and got an extra 15minutes in bed in the morning. You have to pay from 8am onwards. No one bothered us. Really good breakfast in the little cafe down the road.

Then went to the POI under the Humber Bridge. This has turned into a right dump. Local cars doing wheelies. They congregate round the bus shelter and toilets :lol-053:

So we parked at the RopeWalk instead .. 53.694771,-0.44216 Nice parking area. Lot of dog walkers about so MH felt safe when we went for a walk.

The other car park is now covered in trees and a bit dark and out of the way. There always seems to be someone driving into the car park and out again without stopping. The Community Hall is up For Sale / To Let and its their car park.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS