PDA

View Full Version : France to Spain

grath
22-06-2008, 14:22
Has anyone either been through the Tunnel du Somport or the Tunnel d Aragnouet-Bielsa to Spain?:confused:
I would like to know what the area is like on either side of the tunnels both France and Spain and are there charges for these tunnels and how much.
We are just exploring the possibility of this area for our summer 2 week vacation.:confused:
Also, is there another route near to Vielha through Picos de Aneto ?:confused:
Or any other routes, bearing in mind that as an ex international trucker, I know the Irun and La Jonquera borders very well.:(
Just looking for new pastures and new experiences :cool:
I have just been looking at my old Spanish map and I see that there are quite a few small border crossings along the Pyrenees and any suggestions would be welcome. We like rivers and lakes

t&s
22-06-2008, 19:38
in those days we were in to mountains so i only remember there names but on this journeyy we did encounter many lakes and valleys all the journey was through realy stunning places .
so ile begin
Some years ago we followed some of the tour de france route going over some of the colls they use hard work in a van i dont know how they can even contemplate riding a bike 9 miles up a mountain
starting from Lourdes to luz st sauver d918 then to saint marie de campan d618 to bagneres de luchon /st lary/ st girons/foix then via andora to ripoli to olot in spain quite an intresting hill top town / then finaly to estartitt on costa brava for a well deserved rest (one hell of a drive )it took three over night stops on mountain tops ile say again one hell of a drive
i dont realy recomend andora if you are driving there up down up down up dowm extreemly narrow twisty roads just for duty free it aint worth the effort but for scenery do it once
sorry i have never used the tunnel you mention so cant offer any more help
cheers terry

grath
22-06-2008, 19:46
Thanks t & S, the thank you button is not working again.
I have no intention of going to Andora as I will be further north. No idea yet where so keep the suggestions coming Guys & Gals.
I know the Basque are pretty well so (the Spanish side)that is a possibility but would prefer to go where I have not been before.
I would like to enter Spain, somewhere north of Andora and south of Pampalona:D

t&s
22-06-2008, 19:51
(thanks )seems to work when it wants to off a few mins ago now back on i thought it was my computer as it keeps droping connection to this site sory no more ideas on the pyrinees

jimmnlizz
22-06-2008, 20:08
Hi Grath, I've just been mooching about on here again :p (Liz is slobbed out watching footy!! :eek: So I have to play on computer!! :D) Anyway I found this: www.pyrenees-pireneus.com/TRANSPYR-Aragnouet. :cool:
There doesnt seem to be a toll on it yet but they are thinking about it. ;) Mind you if you have a look at the photos of the entrance you can see why. It also says that trucks and some minibuses have to pull over and wait untill they stop traffic from the other side to let trucks etc through in single file. :eek: Apparently it was originally built for pastoral needs and farmers still use it for moving cows and sheep through (walking!) :( You may also meet up with the Chamonix goats which go through unacompanied! Have a look at the photo here: www.ladepeche.fr/article/2007/11/08/188688-Le-tunnel-d-Aragnouet-Bielsa-rouvert-apres-
It does look and sound interesting though. :D

t&s
22-06-2008, 20:19
some of us men seem to have a similar home life women watching grass fairies on tv so we have to revert to the computer for some stimulating conversation
how i hate football

grath
22-06-2008, 20:23
Hi Grath, I've just been mooching about on here again :p (Liz is slobbed out watching footy!! :eek: So I have to play on computer!! :D) Anyway I found this: www.pyrenees-pireneus.com/TRANSPYR-Aragnouet. :cool:
There doesnt seem to be a toll on it yet but they are thinking about it. ;) Mind you if you have a look at the photos of the entrance you can see why. It also says that trucks and some minibuses have to pull over and wait untill they stop traffic from the other side to let trucks etc through in single file. :eek: Apparently it was originally built for pastoral needs and farmers still use it for moving cows and sheep through (walking!) :( You may also meet up with the Chamonix goats which go through unacompanied! Have a look at the photo here: www.ladepeche.fr/article/2007/11/08/188688-Le-tunnel-d-Aragnouet-Bielsa-rouvert-apres-
It does look and sound interesting though. :D

Thanks Jimmnlizz,
I have just been reading about it (or trying to read French):D and looked at the pictures, it reminds me of Tunnel de Frejus in the Alpes region of France, just south of Mont Blanc Tunnel.
By the way, your photo link wont work but managed to get the pics.
Thanks again

grath
23-06-2008, 05:17
Has anyone either been through the Tunnel du Somport or the Tunnel d Aragnouet-Bielsa to Spain?:confused:
I would like to know what the area is like on either side of the tunnels both France and Spain and are there charges for these tunnels and how much.
We are just exploring the possibility of this area for our summer 2 week vacation.:confused:
Or any other routes, bearing in mind that as an ex international trucker, I know the Irun and La Jonquera borders very well.:(
I have just been looking at my old Spanish map and I see that there are quite a few small border crossings along the Pyrenees and any suggestions would be welcome. We like rivers and lakes

Just bumped up to top for more info please:D

grath
23-06-2008, 17:29

Just bumped up as would like some information if anyone can help

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS