PDA

View Full Version : Highland Halloween 30th October - 2nd November

magbrin
13-08-2014, 12:24
Not to be put off by the effects of heavy rain last weekend (see pictures of minimeet at http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/37226-highland-minimeet-8th-11th-august-7.html#post447999 ) we are considering a gathering at Brin (IV2 6XD) for Halloween.

The meet will follow a similar pattern to our other meets & gatherings, with traditional Halloween twist. Note that it will start on the Thursday and finish on the Sunday this time. Donations to Caringorm Mountain Rescue Team will be appreciated - we only need to raise 50.00 to get to 1,000 for this years donations.

If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible. (We have hardstanding available in the old school yard if the heavens open again.)

roamingman
13-08-2014, 15:24
Hi Margret,
Sorry I did not get back to you about missing the mini meet, finiley got my motor ready to roll on the Saturday morning,
sounds like we would have been well and truely stuck if we had made it, glad to hear every body OK,

So will not make any firm decisions but if we can we will come to Halloween!!

magbrin
13-08-2014, 20:21
It was quite an adventure, and still the water is too high to rescue the debris left by the flood.
Glad your van is back in the land of the living and I will provisionally book you in for Halloween. Details will follow in due course.

kernewek
13-08-2014, 20:31
Hi Margaret,

I'll be up - drama permitting!

magbrin
14-08-2014, 12:56
Plenty of drama can be expected here!

The laird
14-08-2014, 19:13
I'd like to try to attend as I still await my hymer from bodyshop .meant to be going to Belgium and France aug sept.tried to make your last one but as I said hymer still awaiting parts from germany

tribute11
14-08-2014, 22:00
I'd like to try to attend as I still await my hymer from bodyshop .... as I said hymer still awaiting parts from germany

Get them to add a keel and a sail!

The laird
17-08-2014, 14:42
Nice one tribute11

The laird
17-08-2014, 14:43
Nice one tribute11

Georgieporgie
21-08-2014, 18:00
Hi Margaret.
Put me down for this meet as I will certainly be up for it and hopefully we won't get flooded again.
Ian followed me all the way down to Perth after the mini meet where we parted company, I made my way to Montrose and of course he was going to Leven in Fife. it was a good adventure and everybody got out without too much bother.
Try to rescue my flag and pole for me so we can use it next time.

George

tribute11
21-08-2014, 21:47
Hi Margaret.
Put me down for this meet as I will certainly be up for it and hopefully we won't get flooded again.
Ian followed me all the way down to Perth after the mini meet where we parted company, I made my way to Montrose and of course he was going to Leven in Fife. it was a good adventure and everybody got out without too much bother.
Try to rescue my flag and pole for me so we can use it next time.

George

Hi George

Good to hear from you. We were beginning to think you had "sailed off into the sunset" after the last meet! :boat::boat:

Glad you had no damage to the van. :have fun:

Jean Robert and Ava :dog:

nightman
22-08-2014, 19:23
:wave:Hi Margaret, please put me in for Halloween( but not in the water ) thanks for saving my blue step I thought it mite float its own way home:fun:

Barnacle
22-08-2014, 22:50
Hi all,
I am sitting here in Kilsyth having a peerie dram and have just been informed from Jan that we should go to the October meet.
The peerie dug's lugs pricked up when we mentioned we were going on holiday again!!!!!
On our last visit in May this year we ventured up the Brin Hill and had a great time, the poor peerie dug is ageing faster than me-----no comments from others please-----and found it difficult to jump over the heather especially when he had to gain altitude.
Anyway, it looks like we will be coming up for the duration and being an ex lifeboatman, will come prepared!!!! lol.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there and if I can manage to acquire them, lobsters will be provided for the BBQ.

magbrin
23-08-2014, 20:23
Good that you are all coming
Lobster is too good for the riff,raff, Bill, but we will enjoy them:cheers:
Pleased that you will all be here.
More detail later
Safe travels.

magbrin
11-10-2014, 11:25
Not long back from our adventures in Canada. Amazing trip and lots of tales to recount. Would recommend it to anyone.

This weekend is Isla's 4th birthday party, so very busy and day out with her on the day, on Monday.

Fergus, the dog who had major surgery in June, is still progressing. Although quite slow while we were away, there are definite signs of improvement. The physio says that he now has the motor control, so it is just (just!) a case of building up strength. so now I am back on exercises with him every couple of hours, and hopefully we will build his strength up rather more quickly than they were able to do in the kennels.

After the birthday celebrations we will be full steamer ahead for the planning of the Halloween meet. It IS going ahead, whatever the weather and numbers. So if you have signed up could you please confirm that you will be here, and if you haven't, please think about joining the last gathering, here, of they year.

Reminder - the dates are Thursday - Sunday 30th Oct - 2nd Nov. Venue IV2 6XD

All the best, & Safe travels
margaret

Barnacle
15-10-2014, 09:14
Hi Margaret,
We won't be there till the Friday afternoon as Jan has to work till lunchtime that day. Weather permitting I will get some lobsters for the BBQ and hopefully some for you too. Look forward to seeing you all. Bill & Jan.

magbrin
15-10-2014, 20:06
Excellent, Bill, Thanks!

Parking will be on the field if dry, or the CS if wet.

We plan a small get together in the Schoolroom on Thursday evening, but the main events will be the BBQ on Friday and the trip to Dores on Saturday. (We have not booked the bus or the pub yet, but the should not be a problem.)
Spooky dressing up, optional and sparklers would be fun. If you have a Halloween game, bring it along. We are not planning fireworks, though. Keep those for 5th or 30th November.

There will also be a gentle working party, or a chance of a walk, or cycle, as well.
Final details to follow
Safe travels
Margaret

Georgieporgie
19-10-2014, 23:37
Hi Margaret,

I'll be up - drama permitting!

Su you must come, we will miss you if you don't.
George

magbrin
22-10-2014, 09:54
Have just heard that the Dores Inn is changing hands that weekend:cry: Handover is on 31st.
Thought we should go on 30th or lunchtime 31st, instead of 1st. What do you think? Would you be here in time to go on Thursday, Bill? Say if we booked for 8pm (leave 7.30)? I will revise other activities once this is set.

We have roadworks between us and A9 (and there may be some on A82/B862, so please check if you are coming from Fort Augustus). The road is closed for most of the day - and the diversion is on a narrow road via Dunlichity - until 6.15pm. :danger: It is partially open (there may be 15 min delays) between 3pm & 4.30pm. If you can, this is when you should plan to come! Otherwise after 6.15.

Things seem set against us - but despite the above, and the low numbers, it needs to go ahead, as we need to raise another 50 for Mountain rescue to make 1,000 for the year:) Anyway everyone booked has been before and know the form, so a good time will be had, whatever :camper:

Some things to note:
You do not need to bring beer or charcoal, There is enough left - if it has dried out - from the wet weekend in August.
We have plenty of options, so if it is wet on the field there is space on nursery or in yard for everyone.
Anything unclaimed from the flood will be auctioned - including any beer.

And it goes without saying there is room for any other vans, if you are in the area and would like t join us.
All the Best and safe travels
Margaret

2cv
22-10-2014, 13:06
Hi Margaret. Really sorry that we will miss this, sure that it will be a good weekend.
If you found our black grip mat when the flood receded we'll be happy to buy it back next time that we can make a meet.

magbrin
23-10-2014, 21:35
Hi Margaret. Really sorry that we will miss this, sure that it will be a good weekend.
If you found our black grip mat when the flood receded we'll be happy to buy it back next time that we can make a meet.

Hi Bill & Susie
Your mat already has your name on it and wont be sold! (Probably nothing will!)
I have in mind to identify some possible dates for next year, before your meeting - but haven't sat down with a diary yet. Will let you know.
All the best and safe travels
Margaret

kernewek
24-10-2014, 20:21
Hi Margaret and Angus,

Sorry but I will not make it; not because of the drama - camper back from first service and in serious need of 2 new rear tyres. Iain sourcing them, but I won't get them in time for next weekend :mad1: However, I wish to support your fundraising for Mountain Rescue and I will send on my usual donation to you. Hope you all have a lovely (dry) time and I hope to see you all soon!

Su xx

jagmanx
27-10-2014, 07:49
Hello Margaret,
Hope to weather is kinder for you and all who join you.

Phil & Nida are in Thailand from now until May (2015).

Hot Wet and Humid.
Very very wet the other day but our concrete under the house is high enough and dry enough.

Please give our regard to all those who were at the May HG.

No firm plans yet for next year but we will try to get to one of your gatherings.

magbrin
27-10-2014, 15:10
Happy birthday, Iain!

Bill (2cv) I have a few possible dates for next year. I will post early in the new year, but some of the front runners are 19th May or 8th August for the minimeet, and 20th June or 11th July for the Highland Gathering.

Sorry, Su, that you won't make it, and thanks for any contribution. It really isn't necessary - I am sure we'll make our 50.00.

Good to hear from you, Phil. Hope you'll make it next summer.

Now for the Final (probably not!) Plan.

We have 3 nights, and according to this version of the plan we will meet in the Schoolroom on Thursday night for a drink and a ladle or two of food from the witches cauldron. I am happy to start the witches brew if you can bring some food to add meat (eg. chicken, sausages etc) and some vegetables (fresh eg. celery, mushrooms, carrots or tinned eg sweetcorn, tomatoes, or frozen, eg. peas.) Please avoid meat or vegetables that need long slow cooking.

I am also happy to start off a fruit cauldron so if you want a dessert, please bring a couple of bits of fruit, or some dried fruit, to add to it.

On Friday we will have the usual BBQ and bonfire please bring the usual food, rolls, salad, kitchen paper, bin bags etc. And on Saturday we will go to the pub.

The Schoolroom will be open for a few hours on Friday and/or Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing you
Margaret

tribute11
27-10-2014, 15:40
Hi Margaret and Angus

Sorry to take so long to contact you, we were waiting to see if doctor would have Robert back at work or not so that we could confirm day of arrival.
However, we have now to attend a funeral in London at the end of week so will not be able to make it.
Hope you all have a wonderfully spooky time with no uninvited (WET) guests on the field.
Best wishes to all attending

Jean, Robert, and Ava. :have fun::have fun::dog::dog:

Barnacle
28-10-2014, 20:17
Hi Margaret,

Change of plan again for us!!!! It looks like we will be coming up on Thursday evening after all although probably not until about 9pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone when we get there.

Bill &Jan.

magbrin
29-10-2014, 19:23
Hi Margaret,

Change of plan again for us!!!! It looks like we will be coming up on Thursday evening after all although probably not until about 9pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone when we get there.

Bill &Jan.

Look forward to seeing you then - we will probably be in the Schoolroom when you arrive.
Be warned - it is a small select gathering!!!! Well, small in the living beings, but I am sure we will be joined by lots from the other side!

Barnacle
30-10-2014, 16:08
Lobsters were landed at Dunbar at 5pm. Now just about to come out the boiler at my workshop and then of to Kilsyth to pick up Jan and Zak then on our way. Would you be able to do the same as last time with my cool box please Margaret??

magbrin
30-10-2014, 16:38
Amazing - yes of course (whatever it was we did! Have put the fridge and freezer on in the Schoolroom) I hope you haven't got too many as there aren't a lot of us!
Safe journey.
See you soon
Margaret

kernewek
30-10-2014, 17:35
Hope you have a wonderful time folks! I've sent something up in the post for you all to share....:wave:

tribute11
30-10-2014, 18:33
Hi Margaret and Angus

Here we are in Essex, wishing we were at Brin with you all.
Hope you have a great meet and best wishes to all.
Hope the weather stays fair for the weekend

Jean and Robert
Woof from Ava :dog::dog:

magbrin
31-10-2014, 16:43
Hope you have a wonderful time folks! I've sent something up in the post for you all to share....:wave:

Many Thanks, Su. We will really enjoy the smokies.. Anticipating an amazing BBQ with the smokies and the lobsters!
Thank you , too, for the generous donation. Just sorry you couldn't be here, with us. But I know the spirit is with us, along with a number of other spirits who couldn't make it this time.
See you all next year.
Margaret

kernewek
31-10-2014, 17:25
Many Thanks, Su. We will really enjoy the smokies.. Anticipating an amazing BBQ with the smokies and the lobsters!
Thank you , too, for the generous donation. Just sorry you couldn't be here, with us. But I know the spirit is with us, along with a number of other spirits who couldn't make it this time.
See you all next year.
Margaret

I hope they are trout! They were when they were packed! Unless the spirits have been playing with them....:scared:

magbrin
01-11-2014, 09:55
I hope they are trout! They were when they were packed! Unless the spirits have been playing with them....:scared:

Sorry, I hadn't checked (never assume anything!) - by the time we ate them the spirits had converted them back. They were delicious and appreciated by all of us. Thanks again.
Another late night - after 2am before we left the spooky party, and we were the first to go - and we didn't even have time for the bonfire. I think everyone else is still sleeping. We'll get the bonfire going for them getting up as it gets dark. A quick sparkler and toasted marshmallow and then off to the pub. Should do this every weekend. On second thoughts I'm not sure I could stand the pace, perhaps every other weekend.

channa
01-11-2014, 10:03
Wish I with you, have round two with that Barnacle Bill fella and Drew, Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

My best wishes

Channa ( Andy)

If Drew is there say hello for me lost a stack of telephone numbers when i changed phone

roamingman
01-11-2014, 16:38
Sorry we mised the meet again, hope every one had a great time.

magbrin
02-11-2014, 16:47
Thank you all for coming - I hope you had a good trip home, and thanks to all those of you who were with us in spirit. It was good to hear from you, Channa. How are things?
Haven't heard from Drew for a couple of years. Not sure where he has got to, I was looking for the picture of him (possibly taken by Barnacle) disappearing into Loch Ness in 2012. Has anyone seen him since?

The good news: thanks to your amazing generosity, we have raised over 1000 this year for the Cairngorm Mountain rescue team. I will give you an exact amount on a new thread. The meets and gatherings are not deliberate fundraising events, but over the last couple of years we have asked for donations as they are otherwise free, and I have been overwhelmed by the support we have had for the rescue team. A very big thank you to everyone who has given so generously, this year.

Next year will be the 5th anniversary of meets and gatherings at Brin and we have already started to think about a format for a Birthday Bonanza. The main thing is to try to track people like Drew, who we haven't seen for a while, and get back some of the old (or young) faces. Again I will post a new thread in due course. In the mean time any ideas or contacts will be much appreciated.

All the best, safe travels, and see you next year.
Margaret & Angus

Barnacle
02-11-2014, 20:44
We are not long back at Kilsyth as we stopped at The House of Bruar on the way back to take advantage of their level car park to cook our steak pie and tatties and, of course, visit the extremely expensive shops.
We had a lovely time yet again at The Brin and the drink, chat and food was brilliant, in whatever order it came, during the weekend. Glad we never woke anyone when we arrived at ten to one in the morning.
Channa, good to see you still monitor the gatherings and it would be good to see you up there again.
Thank you again Margaret and Angus for having us up at The Brin and we hope to make it for the Birthday Bash next year.
Thanks again,
Bill and Jan.

magbrin
03-11-2014, 09:21
Thanks, Bill, and thanks for the excellent lobsters.
And thanks to all those of you who didn't come - all the more for us:lol-053::lol-053:
See you soon
Margaret

tribute11
03-11-2014, 13:37
Hi, it seems we missed a good weekend. We would have loved to be there but we hat to attend a funeral in Essex.
Hope to join up with you all next year.

Margaret, how is Fergus doing? I hope he is improving.

Jean and Robert

magbrin
04-11-2014, 09:06
Hi, it seems we missed a good weekend. We would have loved to be there but we hat to attend a funeral in Essex.
Hope to join up with you all next year.

Margaret, how is Fergus doing? I hope he is improving.

Jean and Robert

Yes, small but perfectly formed!

Fergus is still improving, thanks, but it is taking a very long time. The phisiotherapist says that his motor functions are back, but we are, unfortunately, considering the possibility that, for whatever reason, he will not walk independantly again. We plan to take him back to Haddington to give him some more intensive physio in the next week or two, and we will see how that goes. We have to be realistic, so after that, we are giving him until the end of the year. It is no life for a previously active dog if he cannot at least get up and go out on his own ....... He has been a good pal, for many years, but all good things come to an end. I will keep you posted, hopefully with good news!

Barnacle
16-11-2014, 19:02
Found the pics of Drew at Loch Ness. Will try and copy them onto here for you Margaret.

magbrin
02-01-2015, 12:03
Happy New Year to one & all.

Found the pics of Drew at Loch Ness. Will try and copy them onto here for you Margaret.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/magbrin/IMG_2513.jpg (http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/magbrin/media/IMG_2513.jpg.html)

This was Drew heading for the loch - has anyone seen him since?

KEEP THE DATE:
Date set for next Highland Gathering - our 5th Anniversary Party, Midsummer weekend 18/9th - 22nd June. We hope as many peeps who have been before, will come, and of course some new faces. I will start a new thread in the next few days.

For everyone who has been asking after Fergus. The news is good.
After several session of intensive physiotherapy (and a lot of hard work by him and us!) he is able to stand and move about on his own, and his walks are getting back to normal. He will never run about as he used to, but he can now walk with relatively little support, and may even get to a stage when he can go for a walk off the lead again. He is happy, and so are we, so hopefully things will continue to improve and he will enjoy the rest of his life, albeit as a disabled dog.

tribute11
02-01-2015, 16:37
Great news about Fergus, Mags. He really has had a hard time of it (as also so have you and Angus). Hope he continues to enjoy life, albeit a bit curtailed. As long as he is happy.

Put us down please for the next meet in June.

Happy New Year to all at Brin.

Jean and Robert

magbrin
02-01-2015, 21:04
Great news about Fergus, Mags. He really has had a hard time of it (as also so have you and Angus). Hope he continues to enjoy life, albeit a bit curtailed. As long as he is happy.

Put us down please for the next meet in June.

Happy New Year to all at Brin.

Jean and Robert

You're down. Look forward to seeing you then, if not before.

jagmanx
03-01-2015, 01:11
KEEP THE DATE:
Date set for next Highland Gathering - our 5th Anniversary Party, Midsummer weekend 18/9th - 22nd June. We hope as many peeps who have been before, will come, and of course some new faces. I will start a new thread in the next few days.

Have recorded the dates.. Not sure if we will be travelling that far North this year but maybe.
HNY and best wishes
Phil & Nida

2cv
03-01-2015, 07:40
Also very pleased to hear about Fergus.

Please put us down for the June meet, happy to drive to Dores if needed.

magbrin
03-01-2015, 10:16
see http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/42257-5th-anniversary-highland-gathering-18-22nd-june-2015-a.html#post488255 for details, and for any further communication on the subject.

KEEP THE DATE:

Have recorded the dates.. Not sure if we will be travelling that far North this year but maybe.
HNY and best wishes
Phil & Nida

Would be good to see you again if you can make it!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS