PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Greece

mlynnf50
07-07-2008, 10:26
:o:)Just got back from 6 weeks camping in Greece, although not all wild, but had a great time.
Started our journey from Venice to Patra, camping on Deck with electric hookup with Minoan lines, so easy, the boat had showers on the camping deck how cool. arrived after 33 hours on board but had a lovely time they have pools, and restaurants on board so plenty to do.
Arrived in Patra and found a place to stay just outside patra. Next morning we moved on further down the coast toward Pylos, there are plenty of places to wild camp although I dont think its wise to stay more than a few days, or thats the feeling I got as it is illegal in Greece but I think out of season you will find that they turn a blind eye, and also some or the tavernas will let you stay on there car parks if you use the restaurant. after a few days we headed down to a little place called Gialova just outside of Pylos and found to campsites there one right on the beach the facilities were a bit old and tired but the location made up for it, the next was a proper campsite with all mod cons and people to go with it so didint stay there although it looked very good. We found if you go off the main roads and head towards the coast there are plenty of place to wild camp, but I dont know for how longer as they are building a big golf complex so maybe next year it may have changed. I did find while wild camping that in Greece it gets extremly hot sometimes it was 39 and found that sleeping was a problem due to the heat, so thats why we went on sites just so we could use the air con.

But can certainly say its a great place and wonderful places to visit so much so that we are going back next year.

I am sure if anyone goes they will have a great time.

christine
07-07-2008, 14:25
We stayed in Gialova (an apartment) last year and loved the place. The whole area is beautiful, but as you say,the new, massive golf complex being built behind Romanos beach is a real eyesore and will undoubtedly change things. Another complex is being built between Gialova and Pylos, really changing the landscape around there.

In the 90's, when we spent a couple of months in our motorhome travelling Greece, we found it unbearable at night time, the van never cooled down. By the end of June, we hadhad enough, even the little shade in the camp sites offered little respite. We started off wild camping, in late April, and the temps. were fine then, but as it got hotter, we had to resort to proper sites.Finally, we realised none of us were enjoying the heat so we headed home.

We holiday in the Peloponnese (south Greek mainland) every year, in May, and each year we notice more and more motorhomes wild camping. In some parts ofGreece, nearly every other vehicle is a motorhome!

baloothebear
07-07-2008, 18:15
Mainland Greece is generally OK but the Islands can get very nasty about Wild Camping

grath
07-07-2008, 19:04
Just off thread a little, but if you think that is hot, try sleeping in a truck, over the bed when the engine is under the bed and it has been running for 10 hours and the temperature outside at night is 40 deg:eek:
You are just getting to sleep when it is time to get up:eek::eek:
That is the life of International Trucking (well summer time in Madrid as the concrete holds the heat all night):eek::eek:

christine
07-07-2008, 21:40
No thanks, Grath, I'd rather not!!!

lenny
07-07-2008, 21:43
I wish we could get a bit of that hot concrete:p:cool:

grath
07-07-2008, 21:43
When we went tenting to Turkey many moons ago, we made sure it was a canvas one and not the nylon type and it was still too hot:eek::eek:

mlynnf50
09-07-2008, 09:14
I know what you mean Christine, It was really hot, I thought it was just me and my age, and we even had a portable air con unit, I certainly would not have been able to stay any longer, and the whole of Greece has been taking over with German motor homes, very little english, and a few NL, and a few Belgium.
I dont know how the truckers manage I thought they all had air con, but they need a medal for doing that job in the summer.
We are going back next year but I think we will go early in May and come back the middle of June.

grath
09-07-2008, 16:45
[QUOTE=mlynnf50;37826]I know what you mean Christine, It was really hot,
I dont know how the truckers manage I thought they all had air con, but they need a medal for doing that job in the summer.

When I was trucking, I used to go to Spain, Portugal & Italy mainly and it can be bloody hot in the summer and it never cools down as the heat rises from the engine and into the sleeper cab.:eek:
I only had air conditioning in one of the last trucks that I drove, but I never really used it much as you need the engine running and it is not fair on the truck parked next to you and when you use it while driving, it is ok, but when you then get out, the heat really hits you like walking into a brick wall.:eek:
Then, if you have no air con, the problem is, do you sleep with the windows and top vent open???? as a little iffy:eek:

cipro
09-07-2008, 17:00
:o:)Just got back from 6 weeks camping in Greece, although not all wild, but had a great time.
Started our journey from Venice to Patra, camping on Deck with electric hookup with Minoan lines, so easy, the boat had showers on the camping deck how cool. arrived after 33 hours on board but had a lovely time they have pools, and restaurants on board so plenty to do.
Arrived in Patra and found a place to stay just outside patra. Next morning we moved on further down the coast toward Pylos, there are plenty of places to wild camp although I dont think its wise to stay more than a few days, or thats the feeling I got as it is illegal in Greece but I think out of season you will find that they turn a blind eye, and also some or the tavernas will let you stay on there car parks if you use the restaurant. after a few days we headed down to a little place called Gialova just outside of Pylos and found to campsites there one right on the beach the facilities were a bit old and tired but the location made up for it, the next was a proper campsite with all mod cons and people to go with it so didint stay there although it looked very good. We found if you go off the main roads and head towards the coast there are plenty of place to wild camp, but I dont know for how longer as they are building a big golf complex so maybe next year it may have changed. I did find while wild camping that in Greece it gets extremly hot sometimes it was 39 and found that sleeping was a problem due to the heat, so thats why we went on sites just so we could use the air con.

But can certainly say its a great place and wonderful places to visit so much so that we are going back next year.

I am sure if anyone goes they will have a great time.

Sounds realy good, some pics later would be nice to see:D

We're off to France 2030 tonight:D:D hope to see some of the tour next week:cool: weather should be good but not to hot, have no aircon though:mad:
Catch you all in three weeks, all those away also have a good and safe time:D

grath
09-07-2008, 17:03
We're off to France 2030 tonight:D:D hope to see some of the tour next week
Catch you all in three weeks, all those away also have a good and safe time:

Have a good holiday Tim and by the way, we now have bikes and are looking forward to using them in France:cool:
Maybe we could entre the Tour de France next year:D:D
and win:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Belgian
09-07-2008, 18:50
We're off to France 2030 tonight:D:D hope to see some of the tour next week:cool: weather should be good but not to hot, have no aircon though:mad:
Catch you all in three weeks, all those away also have a good and safe time:D
Have a nice trip Cipro,
The weather: 'en Bretagne il fait beau, le reste la pluie.' So arm yourself:
Calvados in Normandy, Chouchen in Bretagne, Cognac in ... Not to mension
the Bordeaux wines, or Bergerac or..... :rolleyes:
(spirits are becoming as 'cheap' as petrol...:eek:)
Santé

christine
10-07-2008, 10:37
It all looks idyllic, when you see these motorhomes free camped by beaches in Greece, but when you've done it yourself you know things are not always as they appear to others. We know you have the problem of not over-filling your toilet, being very sparing with the water and then the never ending heat.You have to move off after a couple of days as things are going off in the fridge, even UHT milk is turning to cheese..... Then you have to get parked in a town to shop and so on and so forth.

Don't get me wrong, I am still envious when I see these motorhomes, as we often do, but we know the truth!! Having said all this, I would love to return to Greece in the motorhome, leaving March, returning June or when it became too hot.After our many years of apartment holidaying in the Peloponnese, we now know of far more accessible places we could get to in the motorhome, and roads we wouldn't attempt!!!! If only we had had our motorbike back in the 90's.......

mlynnf50
10-07-2008, 13:47
Hi Cipro Have a great time, where in France are you planning to go, we live in a little village up in the Alpes called Abondance, not far from Evian it is really nice, and the sun is shinning today, also around lake Geneva is nice and plenty of beaches to soak up the sun rays, have a great time and drive careful.

grath
10-07-2008, 14:07
Hi Cipro Have a great time, where in France are you planning to go, we live in a little village up in the Alpes called Abondance, not far from Evian it is really nice, and the sun is shinning today, also around lake Geneva is nice and plenty of beaches to soak up the sun rays, have a great time and drive careful.

When I was International trucking, I used to go through Thonon Les Bains and Evian Les Bains to a little border village with Switzerland called St Gingolph. We cleared customs there just down the little side street on route to the fuel refineria at Collombey. If more than 3 artics were parked, the road could be blocked as others would be waiting to park:eek:
Often thought of returning to have a touristic look at the area:cool:

mlynnf50
14-07-2008, 14:57
Hi Grath Collmby is just the other side of the mountain from me, if we go shopping for a big shop then its down to collomby in Switzerland or down the mountain to Thonon Le Bain, I know were you mean well, its a really nice part of the world and the sun is shinning today. May see you ther somtime:cool:

grath
14-07-2008, 17:20
Hi Grath Collmby is just the other side of the mountain from me, if we go shopping for a big shop then its down to collomby in Switzerland or down the mountain to Thonon Le Bain, I know were you mean well, its a really nice part of the world and the sun is shinning today. May see you ther somtime:cool:

You do live in a nice part of Europe:cool:
and I wish that the weather was as good here:(

baloothebear
14-07-2008, 18:50
When I was International trucking, I used to go through Thonon Les Bains and Evian Les Bains to a little border village with Switzerland called St Gingolph. We cleared customs there just down the little side street on route to the fuel refineria at Collombey. If more than 3 artics were parked, the road could be blocked as others would be waiting to park:eek:
Often thought of returning to have a touristic look at the area:cool:

my bold and if you do, there will some old bloke who point and say " I remember him, that's the one. Left his cooler unit running all night..."

helen59
11-09-2008, 09:23
Anyone been to Crete??? Any tips???

baloothebear
11-09-2008, 18:40
Anyone been to Crete??? Any tips???

http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/sfakia-crete.html

http://www.interkriti.org/map_of_crete.htm

South and South West coast should still be OK. The North coast is very touristy and developed now.

The east end of the beach at Plakias used to be good. Just looked on Google Earth and there is even a tarmac road running to the Taverna at the end FFS :D

West along the coast to Frangokastelo. Used to be brilliant place. too far for the Tourists to come and stop. The only ones you used to see were on their way to, or way back from, the Samaria Gorge; otherwise you had the place to yourself - bliss. Its what Greece was like 30 years ago

Paleohora was a great place even if it could be a bit like the Wild West.

Out of season, the Police will pay less attention to you but during May thru until September be prepared to move if asked to. Wild Camping is, strictly speaking, illegal in Greece despite what people may try have you believe.

Trouble is all the maps that I have seen are rubbish. The Greek military used to, I think that they still do, control the distribution of the proper maps ie up to Ordnance Survey standard.

I believe that there are some good maps published in Germany

missmoneypenny
11-09-2008, 20:55
Hi, we've just done six weeks camping in Greece too- for the third year running! We went to the Peloponnese and did wild camping and sites. we saw one GB plated van in Kyparissia which turned out to be an Autotrail Cheyenne- though not the same layout as ours . I thought I ought to post details of places to camp in Greece and will get round to it.....but for anyone wanting details quickly, if you go to www.magbaztravels.com there's a list of places there, some of which we've used. Margaret and Barry who run the website are fulltimers and spend some winters in Greece- it's a really good website and well worth a look for lots of information about many countries. There's also an account of our trip there in 2006. Our favourite spot in the Peloponnese is in Neo Itilo. There's a fish restaurant called O Faros and you turn down to it off the Neo Itilo to Areopoli road. There's a sign pointing to 'free camping'. It's a reasonably level piece of ground next to the sea with fabulous views and good swimming. It's polite to eat at the restaurant and we've stayed there for up to four days.
And this year we discovered we'd been missing out on the Italian secret......
we wondered how some Italians manage to wild camp for so long in one place, now we know. We stayed on the municipal site in Methoni- great location, rough facilities when four Italian vans pulled in , parked up and proceeded to do the necessary jobs- water filling, loo emptying etc. They seemed to make loads of visits to the chemi dump - they each had at least two toilet cassettes! so next year guess who'll have two cassettes?

lenny
11-09-2008, 21:16
Great first post Missmoneypenny and welcome to the site:)

christine
11-09-2008, 21:23
Now that's a good idea, two cassettes!!

barnybg
29-03-2009, 19:17
A great trip would be through France and into Italy follow the coast all the way down to the ferry site,i think there are 3 or 4 on the way down to go over to Greece landing in Igonamitsa straight across heading for Thessalonika,acoastal road or motorway which ever you chose onto Kavala,some nice places along there,head for Alexandroupoli follow the coast road again,some lovely villages and stunning sea and beaches,we stayed 8 days on the beach opposite a Lidl's 500 yds away across the main road,so we had everything to hand really.
From there you could go straight into Turkey and visit Troy and Gallipolli and then straight on to Istanbul or venture (down on the map)catching the ferry across the Marmaris straight heading for the tourist destinations of Izmur and Alkatikum also ferries to many Greek Islands.....OR travel from Alexandroupoli (up on map)along the Greek main route heading for Erdine (watch you dont take a wrong turn for Turkey as it follows the border all the way up)near to Erdine bare left for Svelingrad (BULGARIA) and have a look at this fascinating country (where i live now)like ancient and modern in one,donkeys and carts,and brand new Mercs on the road,try not to travel at night unless on motorway as the smaller and country roads will and have POTHOLES in some places,also speed bumps that are NOT signposted !Take notice of speed signs as sometimes there will be police hiding with radar,usually you will be warned by the flashing of lights from oncoming traffic lol :D

grath
29-03-2009, 19:28
A great trip would be through France and into Italy follow the coast all the way down to the ferry site,i think there are 3 or 4 on the way down to go over to Greece landing in Igonamitsa straight across heading for Thessalonika,acoastal road or motorway which ever you chose onto Kavala,some nice places along there,head for Alexandroupoli follow the coast road again,some lovely villages and stunning sea and beaches,we stayed 8 days on the beach opposite a Lidl's 500 yds away across the main road,so we had everything to hand really.
From there you could go straight into Turkey and visit Troy and Gallipolli and then straight on to Istanbul or venture (down on the map)catching the ferry across the Marmaris straight heading for the tourist destinations of Izmur and Alkatikum also ferries to many Greek Islands.....OR travel from Alexandroupoli (up on map)along the Greek main route heading for Erdine (watch you dont take a wrong turn for Turkey as it follows the border all the way up)near to Erdine bare left for Svelingrad (BULGARIA) and have a look at this fascinating country (where i live now)like ancient and modern in one,donkeys and carts,and brand new Mercs on the road,try not to travel at night unless on motorway as the smaller and country roads will and have POTHOLES in some places,also speed bumps that are NOT signposted !Take notice of speed signs as sometimes there will be police hiding with radar,usually you will be warned by the flashing of lights from oncoming traffic lol :D

We did part of that route a good few years ago, but from Kavala we went to Istanbull, then the Black sea area, (Fenner & Sile) then down to Antalya and the coast road back to the Marmara Straights and Gallipolli. A few years before that and before package holidays we sailed down the Marmara Straights on an overnight ferry to Izmir.
What experiences:D:cool::)
By the way, we did smash an alloy wheel in a pot hole:eek::eek::eek:

grath
29-03-2009, 19:37
The whole of the above journey was preceded by going down the coast road of the old Yugosalavia, with a few detours such as walking over the old bridge that is no more :(at Mostar and skirting Albania:):D

barnybg
29-03-2009, 19:48

barnybg
29-03-2009, 19:55
Right on the beach,heading for Bulgaria.

messenger 2.5td
30-03-2009, 00:49
The whole of the above journey was preceded by going down the coast road of the old Yugosalavia, with a few detours such as walking over the old bridge that is no more :(at Mostar and skirting Albania:):D

Remember seeing the daredevils diving from the bridge on tv:eek:before the serb/croat war,great shame.hope the tourist industry picks up again,Andy
Great pics aswell Barneybg

vanmandan
30-03-2009, 17:23
I'm just finishing up 7 months here in Greece ....
it really is a great alternative to the Spain/Portugal/Morrocco
thing as a winter getaway. I'm catching the ferry back from
Patras to Venice which saves a lot of mileage , well worth 183 euros.
(1 human + 6 X 3 van). + Camping on deck.... April -Oct.
Have noticed there are quite a few new folks on the group.
I've just spent 3 months camping with Barry & Margaret from
http://www.magbaztravels.com/
even if you're not planning on going continental soon ,
it's well worth checking out their web-site ......
it has a ton of good sensible advice for motorhomers.
Hope to see some of you up in N.W.Scotland this summer,
then heading back to Greece via Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria.
Get it while you can ......VanManDan.

barnybg
03-07-2009, 13:02
Vanmandan,If you stopped off anywhere near Harmanli in Bulgaria on your travels you are only 20 miles from us !If you have time try Mahdjarovo and Khurdjali areas also absolutely stunning..call in for a cuppa if you want (Varbovo)village.
Do you drive onto Greece for the Winter or further afield?We'd really like to know and when in the year roughly?
We'd like to break our winter up a little,but dont know where to go or what temperature it would be ???
Pic is minourette in Bulgaria (but a Turkish village)somewhere in the mountains near Khurjali and the the Greek border...

vanmandan
20-12-2009, 15:24
Sadly, I wont be wintering in Greece this year .... on the very day I set off, I suffered a major stroke. Just spent 3 months in hospital...... no fun. Have parked the van up at a friends driveway & am renting a flat for 6 months in the hope of regaining the use of my left arm & leg. Will have to pass a driving assessment test (in a simulator) before I can drive again. Hope to be full timing again by May. Fingers crossed (with difficulty) !!.
Last year I spent 5 months in Finicounda , about as southerly as you can get in the Peloponese, at Camping Finikes ..... just great.....about 100 yds from the beach. Great facilities.... everything incuding wi-fi..... 7 E a night for singles, 10 E for couples.
Year before that, I did a couple of months in southern Crete at Agia Galini ...
only campsite open in winter on Crete. A bit remote but the weather was great. Check out Barry & Margarets site for details of winter camping in Greece & Turkey. www.magbaz.com
Had planned on stopping off at that new campsite near Harmanli on my way south , but the Gods have decreed 6 months hard labour for me here in Paisley. with costs. Goddamn council tax, TV licsense fee & extortionate fuel bills. Such are the wages of sin.
Hey-ho......hope to see you further on down the road....
Happy Trails, VanManDan.

barnybg
17-01-2010, 13:45
Sorry to hear that you had a stroke Vanmandan,i had a slight one couple o months ago,but only lasted 2 weeks or so in my right hand and leg,work hard at it and it will go (i'm 52) Anyway i live very near to Harmanli (Bulgaria)but closer to the Rhadopi mountain range,conservation area and Greece,i have to say it is very beautiful here with many wild species to be seen,including Egyptian vultures,tortoices,turtles,lizards,wild boar,dear,wolves and very rarely bear !
If you want a totally different holiday then please take the time out to drive around Bulgaria,and maybe onto the Greek coast (2 hours away) or the Turkish coast (2 hours away)from where i live i am planning a drive down to Cypres next Winter which sounds great with slightly better weather but definately over 20c,we have had a mild winter here so far,up until this week it being upto 20c,but now a drop to 5c and snow to come for a month,roll on March /April where Spring starts by May it will be 25-30c a nip down to the coast or one of the huge lakes here (less than a hour away)will cool me down !
I hope more of you FREE campers will visit this area,theres so much to see and do and totally different to the usual Europe,plus Greece and Turkey on the doorstep...Hope you recover quickly and when you venture here,please call in,only 20 miles from Barry's near to the border.Anyone interested e-mail lindasteve123@yahoo.co.uk we have 4 big tents,an appartment for 4-6 and room for a couple of motorhomes,very very cheap....:)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS