PDA

View Full Version : how to survive the Notting Hill Carnival

n brown
25-08-2014, 06:56
How To Survive The Notting Hill Carnival | The Poke (http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/08/22/how-to-survive-the-notting-hill-carnival/)

Siimplyloco
25-08-2014, 08:43
How To Survive The Notting Hill Carnival | The Poke (http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/08/22/how-to-survive-the-notting-hill-carnival/)

I survived the 1976 Notting Hill Carnival: I had a riot shield in one hand and a truncheon in the other!:hammer::mad2:
John

Luckheart
25-08-2014, 08:44
Just don't go. My last few visits I have felt like an observer rather than be immersed in it all. 'Twas great 20 years ago - but then so was I

GinaRon
25-08-2014, 11:52
We went about 15 years ago because it is always somewhere I had wanted to go and I found it full of very pushy rude people (mostly young people) I enjoyed the procession though - again once done do not need to do again. :wave:

torchy169
03-09-2014, 07:58
Being finninky here but it was dustbin lids not shields old boy. I was there too. Marvelous fun.

flyinghigh
03-09-2014, 15:10
I lived and worked their in the 70s and no amount of money would entice me back there now,
One carnival weekend we had six wallets pushed through our letter box obviously devoid of cash and credit cards, also with three people stabbed we didn't leave the premises for the whole weekend,
I know it's the minority that cause the problems but lying in A&E or worse the morgue IMO
You would be mad to go there,

Siimplyloco
03-09-2014, 16:04
I know it's the minority that cause the problems but lying in A&E or worse the morgue IMO
You would be mad to go there,

There were about 250,000 of them, and about 3000 of us, all poorly led and badly organised. I'd say we were in the minority that night! I was sitting on the coach, waiting for the 'go', and I heard the Chief Superintendent say, over the radio, " I'm not going to send any officers under Hammersmith Flyover, as someone is going to get killed" or words to that effect. First time I'd heard of a Police 'No Go' area in London! Mind you, I bet there are a few now...
I don't go there now either...
John

mandrake
03-09-2014, 17:19
many no go areas in london nowadays well for us that is ,i have to go for my daughters work but hate the place .mabey over the next few months anybody going into london will be taking there life in there hands . its a place to avoid like the plauge now .

dave docwra
03-09-2014, 21:32
many no go areas in london nowadays well for us that is ,i have to go for my daughters work but hate the place .mabey over the next few months anybody going into london will be taking there life in there hands . its a place to avoid like the plauge now .

Just under 17 million tourists visited London last year, so it may not be as bad as you think.

Dave.

runnach
03-09-2014, 22:03
And this is the hub of enterprise............aka greed. Been thrice and, that was to take Gatwick Express to airport, to get the hell out, sheiiiiite hole of a place!!

Yogihughes
03-09-2014, 23:59
Easy answer to OP, DON'T GO THERE in the first place!

mandrake
04-09-2014, 04:12
Just under 17 million tourists visited London last year, so it may not be as bad as you think.

Dave.

they only visit the tourist areas .they never go into the large housing estates ,or into other areas . we have lived and worked there ,so know there are no go areas ,even the police fear to tread .

phillybarbour
04-09-2014, 05:31
London is a great capital city and far safer than many other capital cities around the world, however I do accept some housing estates are difficult areas. I worked there 30 years ago and it was just the same then.

mandrake
04-09-2014, 06:28
well i went only a few weeks back and to tell the truth its certainly gone to the dogs in my opinion since we lived there prior to 2000 . and with things that are happening now it will only get worse .you only have to talk to the old eastenders to get there opinion of the state of london nowadays ,they will tell you . but most large inner cities nowadays are going that way .there are some parts of Cardiff i wouldn't put a foot in now but thats due to the people that are moving in nowadays .not the city .

dave docwra
05-09-2014, 16:51
Saying you do not like London, is a bit like saying I read a book once & did not like it, so I now dislike all books.

My favourite people one is, I really hated America when I went there, I then ask, where did you go
They say something like Orlando (or similar ) & I won't be going back to America.

Dave.

dave docwra
05-09-2014, 16:55
well i went only a few weeks back and to tell the truth its certainly gone to the dogs in my opinion since we lived there prior to 2000 . and with things that are happening now it will only get worse .you only have to talk to the old eastenders to get there opinion of the state of london nowadays ,they will tell you . but most large inner cities nowadays are going that way .there are some parts of Cardiff i wouldn't put a foot in now but thats due to the people that are moving in nowadays .not the city .

Where did you find an old eastender that can afford to still be living there.

It will always be down to the minority who spoils an area.

Dave.

mandrake
06-09-2014, 06:02
still a few about ,if you know where to look .i will admit that many have sold up and moved on over the last few years though .they have seen sense ,sold there houses they and there family have owned for decades , taken the money and moved on ,shame those communities have gone now ,to be replaced by much of the scum that live there now .

dave docwra
06-09-2014, 20:42
still a few about ,if you know where to look .i will admit that many have sold up and moved on over the last few years though .they have seen sense ,sold there houses they and there family have owned for decades , taken the money and moved on ,shame those communities have gone now ,to be replaced by much of the scum that live there now .

The East End of London for centuries has always had a large immigration population, I think it is a bit harsh to call them scum.

I agree local people have left the area and taken a very healthy profit from their homes.

Mile End house prices average at about 422000 & average rent is about 400 per week, some pretty wealthy people
taking over the area.

Dave.

mandrake
06-09-2014, 22:43
The East End of London for centuries has always had a large immigration population, I think it is a bit harsh to call them scum.

I agree local people have left the area and taken a very healthy profit from their homes.

Mile End house prices average at about 422000 & average rent is about 400 per week, some pretty wealthy people
taking over the area.

Dave.

have you been in the east end lately .and i don't just mean brick lane . its the pits it stinks to high heaven . as for the rents 400 quid a week is nothing ,especialy when you have about 10 families in one house .

we lived in wembley and payed nigh on 500 quid a week back in the larte 90s .

Bopper
07-09-2014, 10:08
I am married to an East Ender who would not go back there. I cannot see myself, why people are so surprised about many city areas nowadays. Did you not see it coming? Maybe you are just one of the many who dare not do or say anything because you will be a racist; and talking of which, do NOT let the professor on here, hear you talking of Police no go areas, because he knows and he his always right. quote "There is no such thing as Police no-go areas in this country" end of quote. So the posters above who say there are, are liars, according to John H!

dave docwra
07-09-2014, 14:03
have you been in the east end lately .and i don't just mean brick lane . its the pits it stinks to high heaven . as for the rents 400 quid a week is nothing ,especialy when you have about 10 families in one house .

we lived in wembley and payed nigh on 500 quid a week back in the larte 90s .

Depends what you class as East End, I am in East London about 8 days a month, I think it has improved greatly over the last 20 years.

Dave.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS