PDA

View Full Version : CR Point of Ardnamurchan - no overnighting?

robinandhilda
08-09-2014, 11:45
This is actually the Visitor Centre car park. We arrived about 5pm, just as the visitor centre was closing and got ready to stay the night. About 5:30 this guy wearing a 'visitor centre' shirt was going round shutting up the exhibition, etc, and he knocked on the van and said we couldn't park overnight. Aways avoiding confrontation, we went and found somewhere else. I don't know what authority he had - the final narrow bit of the road (single track with traffic lights) did have a notice saying 'Private Road beyond this point'. Perhaps if we had arrived after he had gone home (say around 6pm) there would have been no problem. I don't know if this merits a recommendation to remove the location. Has anyone else stayed there with or without trouble?

POI Admin
08-09-2014, 13:12
Thanks for the update - I've removed it from the Wild Camp POIs ...

sparrks
08-09-2014, 17:10
This is actually the Visitor Centre car park. We arrived about 5pm, just as the visitor centre was closing and got ready to stay the night. About 5:30 this guy wearing a 'visitor centre' shirt was going round shutting up the exhibition, etc, and he knocked on the van and said we couldn't park overnight. Aways avoiding confrontation, we went and found somewhere else. I don't know what authority he had - the final narrow bit of the road (single track with traffic lights) did have a notice saying 'Private Road beyond this point'. Perhaps if we had arrived after he had gone home (say around 6pm) there would have been no problem. I don't know if this merits a recommendation to remove the location. Has anyone else stayed there with or without trouble?

I stayed there about 18-24 months ago with no problems other than the bloody wind turbine made sleep difficult. I arrived after the place had shut.

Scottishtourer
21-09-2014, 13:36

WE stayed there a few nights ago.. arrived around 6pm ...over the narrow part with the traffic lights and parked over night on the right hand side .. just down from the main car park..Noticed the centre staff arriving 8.30 in the morning .. no problems... We visited the centre next morning and said to the guide we had stayed overnight and had a fantastic sunset .. He was glad we had a great night and did not mention that it was forbidden. Maybe you just got a grumpy person .. but agree you did the right thing to avoid controversy .

dydigital
27-09-2014, 21:59
Plenty of places to pull off the road on that road and the road to sanna, don't be put off, its a great part of the country.

dydigital
27-09-2014, 22:02
A great place to stay is the Sonachan hotel, just park behind the hotel on the hill with great view, pop in to the hotel and see the owner, she's really nice and very welcoming.

ashbyspannerman
27-09-2014, 23:09
To Ardnamurchan point - YouTube (http://youtu.be/GtWVkGSBRho)

dydigital
15-03-2015, 19:44
That brings back memories.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS