PDA

View Full Version : Living in Greece......

rottiontour
22-09-2014, 18:18
Thessalia....

It´s end of September and we are in Thessalia with m/home and dog. And I have nothing else to do than playing with computers or sitting in the sun, so I would like to tell some of the experiences i made with the daily life in Greece….through the eyes of a “Northlander”.
I am not an expert for Greece but we have been here for several times and got the one or other information which is interesting for us and might be for others too. So I write it down and…..you can smile about my “wooden” English.

Thessalia is our favourite region in Greece. There are many beautiful areas in Greece but Thessalia has portions of all of them….large towns, mountains and dark forests, flat green regions with water and fruits, rivers and beaches, crowded places and lonely spots and….it has maintained its own greek character, it is not too touristic and still the “real Greece of today”.
Not too many tourists travel to Thessalia and although the region does have a good climate and many beautiful spots…..the main capital of Larissa…. Olympos, the mystic mountain of the ancient Gods……the long beaches of Agiokampos…..Kissavos mountain….Pilion peninsula….Meteora monastries, etc, etc….the main bunch of tourists travels to the islands, the west coast and Peloponnissos.

East Coast……..

Agiokampos, the holy field

We are just in Agiokampos, “The Recreation Area” of the Larissa people. During July and August the beach is full of people, loads of restaurants, hotels, discos, beach bars…..fun everywhere. But it is more a “greek-style” relaxation, a little bit chaotic but charming. Outside the main season the number of people decreases significantly and after mid of September till mid June it is quiet and empty.

The road from Larissa to Agiokampos is in very good condition, 45 km are no problem but at the weekends in main season it could be traffic jam.
Where the road is starting to wind through the hills there is a brown sign to the little chapel “Agoii Anagyroi” that means “the Holy Moneyless (people)”. It´s an easy drive to a very nice area, a lot of space with a chapel, a fountain, a little river, a picnic place and the cave of the holy people.(39.69713....22.81448)
There is another, smaller road a little bit south and parallel to the main road, which is suitable for m/homes as well and which has a spring too to refill good water.(39.68879....22.81462)

Agiokampos has 2 camp sites, camping Aegeas (39.70669....22.86846), a low category place, but easy living on it, sunny places (for the sat receiver) and shadow places. Open from May till Sep, in low season about 16 Euros and the owner speaks English. I prefer this place because of the dog instead of camping Filoxenia, directly at the beach, under trees, very green and dark but better equipped.

Free parking overnight is absolutely no problem outside main season at the long beach or near the harbour, space enough. Police cars sometimes driving around and winking friendly.
24958 24959

The weather today at 22th Sep is very warm, 29C in shadow, little bit hazy, light wind, good condition for a swim and sun bath without dieing.
And we got the camper cooled down with water….suddenly a water jet came out of a hidden hole:scared:….obviously to give water to an old tree stub……forgotten to deactivate. 1 hour later the jet stopped….it´s Greece. Tomorrow we will know and reposition the chairs early enough.

:wave:

Bernd

Talbot
22-09-2014, 18:52
Sounds fabulous. I'll be adding this to my places to go. Thanks for info.

Talbot
22-09-2014, 19:00
Just a thought. What route do you take to drive here?

jimbohorlicks
22-09-2014, 19:01
Great thread. please keep us all posted
:D

trevskoda
22-09-2014, 19:05
looks fab ,all i require is the six numbers at weekend:)

christine
22-09-2014, 19:14
Very interesting and some useful info. Thanks for posting, look forward to more....

rottiontour
22-09-2014, 19:19
Just a thought. What route do you take to drive here?

That one...

Due to heavy rain only highways ("Autoput" through Balkan to Greece): Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece.

oldpolicehouse
23-09-2014, 06:09
That one...

Due to heavy rain only highways ("Autoput" through Balkan to Greece): Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece.

Hello
Very interested in your route.
Like you Greece is one of our favourite places but we have always taken a ferry from Ancona or Trieste.
Did you stick to the main roads through Croatia,Serbia & Macedonia ?
Did you have any problems ?

Blue Skies

Hymie
23-09-2014, 07:21
Hi Bernd, don't put down your use of the english language, it is superior to many English residents.

Keep up the reports, they are well written and fascinating, giving us many points of interest for when we finally retire, I am always looking forward to the next, and Greece is one of our favourite destinations.

Enjoy your travels.

Ooh, try putting a bucket or a pot over the sprinkler and then you won't have to move your chairs. :have fun:

Hymie

rottiontour
23-09-2014, 09:00
Hello
Did you stick to the main roads through Croatia,Serbia & Macedonia ?
Did you have any problems ?

Blue Skies

Hi,
blue sky....11:00 local....29 C in shadow, autumn is a great period here.

This time we took the fastest method, the highway from North to South called "Autoput", but in former travels we cruised through the countries a little bit.
We had no problems at all and i must emphasize this....NO problems. We did the landline more than 15 times and never we had problems.
The Autoput has 90% a sufficient standard, the rest is under construction and the old portions of Autoput or deviations are all right. OK, there are some portions which are a little bit bumpy, but in my home country i´m used to it too :D
There is not much traffic on the Autoput, except in large towns like Belgrad, but this is managable. Border controls never have been a problem too.
Exception: In July and August some 100.000 Turks are driving home on Autoput from all Europe to Turkey. Then the circumstances are a catastrophy....unbelievable. Parkings could be overcrowded, hours of waiting at the borders in the heat may happen. It´s better to avoid that period.

The numbers of filling stations is good, partially very modern with large empty parkings and restaurants. Euro and Credit card will be taken everywhere, but paying in Euro you might have sometimes a horrible exchange rate, e.g. instead of paying 70 Euros they request 80 Euros, especially in Serbia.....10 Euros is a daily salary for a full time worker in Serbia and northern people are unbelievable rich. I can excuse that, learn and take credit card or local currency.

We sometimes left the highways and took major roads crossing the country.
Croatia is quite allright, Serbia is managable but often bumpy and sometimes you have to reduce speed a little bit....it depends on individual sensitivity. Macedonia is the same as Serbia. Compared to the greek roads, Crotia has an equal standard, Serbia and Macedonia a lower standard, but still usable. Autoput no problem.
Costs for Autoput in toto about 80 Euros, (max. 3.5 to)

Have fun with planning
Bernd

horshamjack
23-09-2014, 09:32
As usual with Bernd very informative and detailed posts, thanks for posting and enjoy your stay

oldpolicehouse
23-09-2014, 09:45
Hi,
blue sky....11:00 local....29 C in shadow, autumn is a great period here.

This time we took the fastest method, the highway from North to South called "Autoput", but in former travels we cruised through the countries a little bit.
We had no problems at all and i must emphasize this....NO problems. We did the landline more than 15 times and never we had problems.
The Autoput has 90% a sufficient standard, the rest is under construction and the old portions of Autoput or deviations are all right. OK, there are some portions which are a little bit bumpy, but in my home country i´m used to it too :D
There is not much traffic on the Autoput, except in large towns like Belgrad, but this is managable. Border controls never have been a problem too.
Exception: In July and August some 100.000 Turks are driving home on Autoput from all Europe to Turkey. Then the circumstances are a catastrophy....unbelievable. Parkings could be overcrowded, hours of waiting at the borders in the heat may happen. It´s better to avoid that period.

The numbers of filling stations is good, partially very modern with large empty parkings and restaurants. Euro and Credit card will be taken everywhere, but paying in Euro you might have sometimes a horrible exchange rate, e.g. instead of paying 70 Euros they request 80 Euros, especially in Serbia.....10 Euros is a daily salary for a full time worker in Serbia and northern people are unbelievable rich. I can excuse that, learn and take credit card or local currency.

We sometimes left the highways and took major roads crossing the country.
Croatia is quite allright, Serbia is managable but often bumpy and sometimes you have to reduce speed a little bit....it depends on individual sensitivity. Macedonia is the same as Serbia. Compared to the greek roads, Crotia has an equal standard, Serbia and Macedonia a lower standard, but still usable. Autoput no problem.
Costs for Autoput in toto about 80 Euros, (max. 3.5 to)

Have fun with planning
Bernd

Hi Rottiontour

Thanks for that really good post. Very encouraging to hear you have done the land route 15 times.
We are ok with bumpy roads. Had a wonderful 3 month trip around Turkey earlier this year but did the ferry from Trieste to Igounamitsa and then motorway accross Greece. Road building in Turkey is going at breathtaking pace but they still have some pretty big potholes etc.
We are quite adventureous but you sound like you have much more experience.

Good luck.

Blue Skies

sinner
23-09-2014, 18:46
Loving your posts sir, hope to follow in your tyre marks one day :-)

rottiontour
24-09-2014, 12:06
Impression of a greek camping day

Yesterday night there was greek music the whole night….not very loud but jamming my ears continuously :scared:.
After 2 Tsipouros in the evening the campsite-grandfather had not operated the radio timer successfully and we got background music until the sun came up.
OMG, thousand times the family excused, they "killed" the electricity cable of grandfather´s radio and…..we were “kidnapped” …..for a meal.
25005 25006

Fried zucchini with cheese, garlic creme and "something green" they collected in the hills and fresh fried fish from the harbour this morning.
Well….finally we resignated and accepted to be hostages, we had no chance anyway…:tongue:

Next morning we started the “Camping Day”… dog walking on the lonely beach, kilometers of beach only for us….what a fantastic weather, 25 C and windy, doggie is enjoying…..tv-news say first snow in parts of Germany but they still have hope, haha……
25007 25008 25009

And cycling and shopping in the mini Minimarket of Agiokampos and at a fruit dealer at the road.
25010 25011

Well, the price is not too low, it´s still touristic, but in the village Agia, 15 km to the West there are 25 Kg tomatoes for 5 Euro…..25 kg tomatoes!!!... :mad1: no please .
Generally the prices for “Northland-similar-goods” at Lidl are 25% more than in Germany….but obviously not for tomatoes.

In the Minimarket i bought an ice-cold can of greek beer…..after the cycle ride..... that´s it guys.

Have fun
Bernd

horshamjack
24-09-2014, 12:14
Envious :have fun:

mike9jr
24-09-2014, 13:12
Good thread, thanks Bernd.

Has anyone any experience of taking the coast road south to Greece....?
I was thinking of this route next year, down Croatia, Albania, through to northern Greece.... ?

Mike

christine
24-09-2014, 14:55
Sounds idyllic. Wish we were there!

rottiontour
24-09-2014, 21:06
.......Has anyone any experience of taking the coast road south to Greece....?
I was thinking of this route next year, down Croatia, Albania, through to northern Greece.... ?

Mike

Hi Mike,

we took this road last spring for the first time. We had no problems at all.
All border crossings were without problems, road condition in Croatia ok, in Montenegro little worse, in Albania...hmmh.
Albania is different. It is the most backward country on Balkan we saw up to now, but this is my impression.
The major roads in Albania are generelly ok, usable but we had to pay always attention. Once the satnav guided us off the major route into the country and the roads were partially disastrous.
But as i said, major roads ok and i heard that the coast road is ok and finished now from north to south.
Number of campsites is sufficient, needs a little bit planning and preparation, the quality i don´t know, we stayed only 1 night in Lezhe to divide the route in two portions.
I needed one tank diesel to go from Podgoriza/Montenegro to Greece, so no albanian money was necessary. We started in Petrovac /MN, filled diesel in Podgorica/MN, did one overnight stop at a hotel parking in Lezhe/Albania, payed in Euros, and drove via Durres, Fier, Gjirokastra to Vikos area/Greece.
In Montenegro Euros are taken everywhere, Euro is inofficial currency. Albania we used only for transit and 1 overnight. Obviously creditcards are taken in Albania at some filling stations, we did not need it.
All the routing is very interesting and managable without problems. See more details here........thread "off...to the dogs of Crete".

Bernd

rottiontour
26-09-2014, 21:12
This part of Thessalia is determined by the Larissa “flatland” and by three mountain areas… Olympos in the North and Kissavos or Ossa south of Olympos. Olympos and Kissavos are divided by the river Pinios forming the Tembi Valley. And the most southern are the Mavrovouni hills south of Agia.

Today we head South, along the beach and through the hills of the “Mavrovouni”, the black mountain,

Nice overnight place in the forest of Mavrovouni…..39.58975….22.80535.
And a good water tap….39.61500…..22.87904.

View into the hot flatland of Larissa.

The greek farmers play with the fire fighters “cat and mouse”.
Once the fire fighters are just fighting at the one edge of the fields, they light up the other edge.

And cotton fields up to the horizon…

green “cotton-monsters” on the way to “eat” the cotton, and bring it to a collection point…
25171 25172

Larissa
Larissa is the forth-largest town in Greece….Athina, Thessaloniki, Patras, Larissa….and the most unknown town, Achilles was born here, the greek hero, fighter against the Trojans.
It has the most extreme climate of all Greek towns, the hottest temperatures in summer, we once experienced 42 C inside the house, and the coldest temp in winter….-3, one day haha. But one winter before it was -10 and snow for 10 days, a real catastrophe, all water pipes are not isolated.
Larissa is a modern town, typical greek style of today, it has an university hospital, good vets, good and modern medicines and we can get all we want, like car repairs, Media Market, Praktiker Market and 2 Lidls. Best Lidl is in the West direction Trikala because of its good parking.
And if we need a quick ride home….we would take the train, 2 hrs later in Saloniki, airplane and off we are. It gives a little bit safety.

The daily life in Larissa is stunning, hectic, and chaotic, but we like it, chaos but in a certain, hidden order….. greek order.

In the early morning hours the public litter service is operating, we saw young women working hardly, with make up and well dressed.
And the typical greek breakfast is going on in the coffee bars….Tiropita (sort of bread roll with Feta, sheep cheese) and Frappe (cold Nescafe with sugar and milk) and a cigarette….breakfast to go.
We often wondered, why so many people were sitting in the coffee bars and tavernas at about 7 o’clock on a summer morning, the answer is too easy…..many have been working during the night, it´s simply too hot now.

And at about 10 o´clock the town is filling with people, 1300-1700 most shops are closed…siesta, streets getting emptier…..and the shops open again from 1700-2200 plus.
And at about 2200/2300 the restaurants, tavernas and bars are filling with people again for having dinner and drinks, easy going in hot summer nights…..and no one is drunken.

We park the car in a quiet road and walk to the Bazari….the highlight of September.

The Annual Bazari

Bazari means market, bazaris are in all towns and villages, mainly at Saturday in the morning until 1300. That means after 1200 the prices for fruits etc are decreasing drastically. Nobody likes to take his fruits back home again.
The position of the best (I think) weekly Saturday fruit and vegetable market (and more) in Larissa is 39.62987….22.39244

But each year end of September for about two weeks there is the annual market of Larissa, THE !! BAZARI.
Its huge, crowded, hot and friendly and especially in the darkness it has its typical atmosphere. And you can get there everything you want.
25174 25175 25176
25177 25178

i like that pig, it must be a greek pig.... sun glasses, frappe and cigarette :lol-053:.

Parking in Larissa

Some m/home suitable parkings in Larissa, where we stayed overnight.
39.62114….22.40234, near police station,
39.61979….22.40120, directly in front of police station, police officers were very friendly, winking at shift change in the morning,
and water taps are here….39.61892…..22.40217
and Lidl….39.63453….22.38348

This night we stayed on the Praktiker car park….huge, dark and quiet and nobody is caring about us. 39.59951….22.43698

Xalara…hang loose
Bernd

Hymie
27-09-2014, 05:43
Another great post Bernd, keep them coming.

Hymie.

Siimplyloco
27-09-2014, 07:45
Excellent post. Jan and I went to Greece about 18 years ago, a place called Stoupa. It was asleep most of the time and we haven't been back since. We should have gone to your place!
John

christine
27-09-2014, 09:10
Fantastic, once again!

mike9jr
27-09-2014, 13:50
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
great posts too, cheers :)

Mike

rottiontour
28-09-2014, 10:02
Thank you all for the kind comments…..yesterday rain outside, 15 C at 18:00, so a little bit time for another story, hope you´ll enjoy. I´ll do anyway…with a Tsipouro and a beer :cheers:.
And today sunny 23C in shadow….hope again.

Have fun
Be

Chapel and Cave of Holy „Moneyless“ Eremites

Greece is a contradiction in itself… modern malls and backward shops …… parkings covered with condoms and young girls in mini and high heels crossing themselves in front of a church…. beautiful nature and trash everywhere but the towns are clean….. the greek mentality seems to be easy to understand but I will never fully understand it, I guess I think too "german" :scared: . After so much time in Greece this country is still looking mystically to me.

A big myth to me is the religion and the Greek Orthodox Church, 99% of the Greeks are orthodox, which means “right or right way”. It has the same roots as the other Christian religions, but once they disagreed with the Roman Catholic Pope, separated from Rome and “filled the religion with their own way of understanding and their own language"…. today they would be called “separatists”, may be banned by EU :lol-053:.
Obviously this religion made them to friendly and tolerant people…”Filoxenia”, friendship with foreigners…. but they were always willing to defend their religion and their country, and then the orthodox priests were the leaders in fighting with the people and for their country and religion…. it´s amazing to me, hope they didn´t completely forget this attitude in the times of today.

One of the places where I can feel the greek orthodox mentality is the chapel of “Agioi Anargyroi”….the two “moneyless” people.
39.69674…..22.81428

It´s located between Agia and Agiokampos, a narrow tarmac road leads to the chapel suitable for m/homes. At the chapel there is a large parking area and a water tap. We always visit this place. It seems to be very well suitable for staying overnight but we never did, cause from time to time a Greek comes in to visit and pray, or a wedding or baptism is performed at the weekends combined with a picnic. Never somebody did complain about the m/home or our visit, always the people were totally friendly. I don´t know why, but I am a little bit ashamed to use this holy place as an overnight parking. I am sure, the Greeks won´t think so, but I do, I call it respect.
25209 25210

This place is beautiful, a simple but impressive chapel, a large recreation and picnic area next by the chapel, where you can park your car, and a little river for refreshment.

The chapel is made in typical orthodox style as a honour to the “Moneyless”, which lived in a cave a little bit up the hill.

It´s amazing, the chapel is always open, no vandalism, no graffiti, no burglars.
And if you want, sit down some minutes, leave the world outside, nobody will disturb you.

If you like, put some Cent into a box, take a candle, light it on and think of those you love.
THIS is Greece and not the Robinson beach bars and clubs of Mykonos or whatever.
The “Agioi Anargyroi” are cordially welcoming you….

Some steps across the river and up the hill there is the cave of the “moneyless” eremites, as well worth to visit.
25215 25216 25217

Well, enough mystic places for today, it´s time for a temporal refreshment at the beach bars of Agiokampos, still open at this time of the year, there is the “Makaronas”, not a real luxury bar, more a simple hut near the harbour, but the owner cares about the stray dogs of the beach, I like that.

Good overnight parking near the harbour….39.68116…..22.88722.
Feed the dogs and they will stay with you during the night and shoo all burglars :lol-053:.

Regards
Bernd

christine
28-09-2014, 11:49
I totally agree that to stay overnight on "holy ground" would be disrespectful, whatever anyone says. You have to feel comfortable and relaxed wherever you stay,(my feelings anyway!)

Your place by the sea at Agiokampos looks lovely.

snowbirds
28-09-2014, 12:22
Hi Bernd,

It looks a great area and the dog looks happy on the beach,good luck.

Snowbirds.

Impression of a greek camping day

Yesterday night there was greek music the whole night….not very loud but jamming my ears continuously :scared:.
After 2 Tsipouros in the evening the campsite-grandfather had not operated the radio timer successfully and we got background music until the sun came up.
OMG, thousand times the family excused, they "killed" the electricity cable of grandfather´s radio and…..we were “kidnapped” …..for a meal.
25005 25006

Fried zucchini with cheese, garlic creme and "something green" they collected in the hills and fresh fried fish from the harbour this morning.
Well….finally we resignated and accepted to be hostages, we had no chance anyway…:tongue:

Next morning we started the “Camping Day”… dog walking on the lonely beach, kilometers of beach only for us….what a fantastic weather, 25 C and windy, doggie is enjoying…..tv-news say first snow in parts of Germany but they still have hope, haha……
25007 25008 25009

And cycling and shopping in the mini Minimarket of Agiokampos and at a fruit dealer at the road.
25010 25011

Well, the price is not too low, it´s still touristic, but in the village Agia, 15 km to the West there are 25 Kg tomatoes for 5 Euro…..25 kg tomatoes!!!... :mad1: no please .
Generally the prices for “Northland-similar-goods” at Lidl are 25% more than in Germany….but obviously not for tomatoes.

In the Minimarket i bought an ice-cold can of greek beer…..after the cycle ride..... that´s it guys.

Have fun
Bernd

witzend
28-09-2014, 18:36
THANK YOU Bernd enjoy your travels

bubwal
29-09-2014, 00:31
My grandmother is from Thessaly - please don't tell people how stunning the region is - I holiday here every year and love the peace and serenity. :hammer: :camper: But if you do get there enjoy and as the Thessalians do, order your Tsipirou (Ouzo like drink) and all the Meze's will flow. Free food!

rottiontour
29-09-2014, 15:23
Another sunny days, not to hot, 22 C in shadow, a little bit windy, we do a cycle tour along the beach to Kap Dermata, the „Leather Cape“, about 10 km one way.
10 km only, that doesn´t sound too far, but the wind blew opposite for 10 km on the first leg and “e-bikes of wifes” are much more comfortable than “mountain bikes of men”.
The Greeks didn´t recognize the difference between the bikes, they smiled about “racing” Anni and laughed about “looser” Bernd…fxxk.
25229 25230

Did the winter start already?…...Greek are always cold that September days.

And we intend to stay at Camping Aegeas for some more days. Unfortunately the site will close 30 Sep….that means at least next weekend….but I just did the first trial to ask for staying another month and pay for it for sure.
And as far as I understood the greek owners will have no problems with that and may give the key to me….as far as I understood….let´s wait and see.
But the idea to be absolutely alone on a huge camping place sounds great to me…..then I am “Chief Campsite” :lol-053: and Rotti is “Chief Security” :scared:, how great is that.
And if someone wants to stay overnight on the campsite…. I will be the chief, collect money, hand it over to the owners and……not all visitors will be allowed. They must be dog friendly !!! and they must speak English, French or Italian, Dutch or Greek, one out of those otherwise NO WAY, :lol-053: :lol-053: :lol-053: .....no, only a bad joke, Germans are allowed too.
And October is a good month to relax on this side of the world :boat:.
25232 25233 25234

And another washing day……
I want to introduce our little washing machine for the "autonomous half-to-full-timer”, may be you know it already, but we like it sooo much…..and this is it, it´s worth its money…..

….open it…..

….take the motor out……

...put the bucket on the motor.....

….fill in hot water, clothes and powder and let it "roll"…..

The motor needs 220 V and has 85 Watts, washing cycle is max 15 minutes, we can operate it easily with the 12v-220V converter without being hooked up…..and the sun is producing electricity, and heat and wind for drying.

Last but not least a very nice and actual camping guide of Greece, you can download it, print it and use it off line.
http://www.campingreece.gr/camgingreece-en.pdf

Well, you see.... another very challenging day....:wave:

Have fun
Bernd

rottiontour
11-10-2014, 13:08
We are having lazy days on Camping Aegeas in Agiokampos, 34 days on road now. Some rain, some sun, some wind but we resisted the rain and now we have a beautiful sunny period…..”the little summer of holy Dimitris”, a period of warm days from mid to end of October.

The camp site owners left the place to stay over the winter in Athens, lovely people, the grandfather had tears in his eyes when saying good bye to us…..and we got the key.

We are now alone on the large site except 2 Albanians who are living in a small house some 50 meters away, friendly guys working the whole day in the village. I invited them for a beer and got an invitation back to a taverna but this will be another story.
And we moved the m/home to a more sunny place near the main gate…..
For us it is a beautiful place, not so overcrowded :lol-053: :lol-053: :lol-053: we have electricity, water, dump and sun, we do not need more and so we wish to stay during November too but before we have to ask the owners if this might be possible but I think it will.

The little village Agiokampos did fall asleep already, no tourists anymore only Greeks and…. “the German with the Rottweiler”. After 7 days here I got the impression that we are so well known as if we had lived here for decades….the neighbours are winking, the shepherd, the road workers, the old fisherman, all are winking shouting “Jassas” and laughing. After 2 weeks in Agiokampos I had more small talks with people than after 1 year in Germany. Everybody seems to be interested in us and everybody is asking where we are from, what we are doing here and if we have children and so on, the people are so friendly.

And one day we visited a monastery 30 km away up in the mountains, Moni Prodromou or the Monastery of St. John The Forerunner (39.72941....22.66989).

10 years ago we heard about this monastery in the vicinity of the little village Anatoli, (meaning is East)….”dropouts” people said :scared:, crazy women anywhere high up in the mountains who must have said good bye to the world, as usual no details only rumours. And we got interest in the rumours and simply travelled to this monastery.
And what we found was the most amazing monastery we ever have seen in our life, a masterpiece of an agricultural enterprise built up by the hands of 15 women, and a paradise high up in the mountain of Kissavos…..unbelievable.

And the most stunning fact for me is that the nuns built up the monastery with their own hands….in snow and rain, heat and drought….15 women coming from an orthodox monastery in Lavrion/Athens, starting in 2000 and surviving in sleeping bags the first snowy winter in the old ruin with no roof. They are absolutely no “dropouts” but very realistic, a brain surgeon, a psychologist, another surgeon, a biologist and so on…..and a totally international community, women from England, America, Germany, Austria, Serbia, Greece etc.
15 “weak” women, four of them are just founding again a sister-monastery in Saaremaa, Estonia. I think we will visit them next summer, nice area and....greek coffee in Estonia, this is it:).
If you are interested in this mountain paradise just do a visit, the monastery is always open for visitors and the nuns will always give you a warm welcome ….and a greek coffee.
Greek women in discussion.....

And there is a good opportunity to buy real greek Feta, excellent meat from sheep and other goods, all produced by their own.....even the vine and the Tsipouro :).
The road uphill to the Nuns of Anatoli is suitable for coaches and m/homes and it is a real scenic drive.
25426 25427

In case you want to read more about what powerful women can achieve see Holy Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner, Anatoli, Greece (http://www.saintjohns-monastery.gr/en/)

And here some pictures ……
25419 25420

Attention....nuns crossing
25421 25422 25423

And there is a the new graveyard of the nuns......each woman has her grave already prepared, they know, where they will "sleep", one next by the other.....and the first nun was buried there some months ago, Sr. Theokliti. She died by cancer in the age of 33 and found peace in Moni Prodromou.

On the way back home there is a nice picnic place at a little chapel as well suitable to stay overnight (39.73917….22.69776)

And after this exciting day Rotti took leave from his job as “Chief Security” and enjoyed the sun.

Regards
Bernd

rottiontour
26-10-2014, 14:28
4 weeks Agiokampos were ok
:camper:

……. walking the beaches…..

……chilling……

……talking to our greek neighbours….yes, the “Germans with the Rotti” have been promoted to real neighbours now….. getting invitations….. ……feeding dogs….

....discussing about South- and Northland….. eating fish, olives and drinking Tsipouro….. joking with the road workers and laughing with the chief of the “Pantopolio” (mini-market), who is a real greek “Philosophos”.
Normally I am getting crazy after 3 days on the same site and after the fifth day the risk of suicide or “Amok-run” is imminent. But this time 4 weeks on the site were like one day.
But the weather changed and it started to rain, a huge bad weather area is covering Greece. And so it was the time to go “on road again”.

A good occasion to plan the next heading was an invitation by a greek motorhome community. By chance I found the webpage of the Hellenic Motorhomers (En (http://www.motorhomeclub.gr/index.php/en)) , wrote a contact mail and…. got an invitation to join their next meeting in Gravia on 24.Oct. ....and so we did.
We drove from Camping Aegeas through central Thessaly to Gravia….and we found a well organized m/h meeting, super friendly and helpful greek motorhomers, and we had nice chats and an interesting event with them...visit of a mine in the mountains south of Gravia.
25725 25726 25727

In the mine of Vagonetto….
25728 25729 25730

The weather still was not too good and I was not as “tough” as the Hellenic Motorhomers, who did not care about the rain, being funny and in a good mood all the time, and so we continued heading south, not before getting another invitation to the next meeting. They are so friendly………. thank you for that, Hellenic Motorhomers :wave::wave:.

Next overnight was at the harbour of Itea, no rain luckily.
25731 25733

….and one day later sun again in Nafpaktos near Patras.
Along the road there is a lot of overnight places, so really no need to write down any coordinates.

Harbour of Nafpaktos…..hi Pat, do you remember?
25734 25735

….and the overnight place some hundred meters west of the harbour of Nafpaktos.
25736 25737

Well, still we hope to get a little bit more sun, although Rotti loves the “northern” autumn in Greece…. anyway, Greece is green like in spring and the Tsipouro is really good and a great help :tongue:.

:cheers:
Bernd

christine
26-10-2014, 14:40
Thanks for the update, still enjoying reading of your tsipouro days. How many bottles is it now????

rottiontour
26-10-2014, 14:50
Thanks for the update, still enjoying reading of your tsipouro days. How many bottles is it now????

well not too much...i´m the driver :cry:

iampatman
26-10-2014, 14:55
Hi Bernd,
Yes, we remember the tiny harbour. We spent the day in the town, I needed an LED bulb for the van and it wasn't cheap ha ha. Then we took the ferry across and stopped at Diakopto for a few days. Stop reminding me!! I want to go back now!!
Pat

rottiontour
28-10-2014, 21:37
50 days on tour now, although it is a real cold and wet October there is still a big difference to “Northland”…..THE PEOPLE.
Sometimes when I think about the behaviour of the Greeks, how friendly, helpful and communicative they are, I fear to be a little too “grecophil” and not very objective, may be I am the only one feeling it that way, BUT…..

Day 50 was a windy day, dry and sunny, colourful but cold….ok, 20 C.

Dog walking was a pleasure and Lara made some new friends, 6 puppies living with their mother near on old swimming pool. But 6 puppies were a little bit too “stressy” for a middle aged Rottie lady and she was glad to leave to the m/home.

I was just checking the oil of the engine, when a man walked along the beach, came to me and said in best German….you are German, isn´t it.
Oups…..what an excellent German pronunciation…. for a Greek??
No, no, he is Dutch, he said, living in Greece since 8 years and he is teacher for German at a greek school in Nafpaktos….very interesting.
And he said, please excuse, I saw your car plate and started to speak to you, I would never have done this in the Netherlands or in Germany but here in Greece I learned how easy it is to get in contact to people and so I do…..amazing isn´t it?
And during our chat I got the confirmation, that another guy, this Dutch, felt like me… most of the Greeks are very friendly, open minded, helpful and communicative. There are no drunken people on the roads, no dangerous towns or suburbs, no visible prostitution, you can stay overnight nearly everywhere without fear and life is easy in Greece, even the employees of the communities, telephone companies, postal offices, electricity companies and all the official representatives are more than friendly and helpful, and there will be always a way to solve a problem….said the Dutch.
And my subjective feeling is the same. In the last ten years i made more than 100.000 km through Greece and there was not a single bad incident. But we agreed….generally (!!) Greece is safer compared to other countries, crime is existing but not yet so extreme and… times are changing drastically in the moment. And Athens partially is “not Greece”, Athens is an own story.
Nice discussion with Gerhard, the Dutch, teacher for German at a Greek school.

We continued driving to the West, passed the big bridge of Patras, the Rio-Antirio-Bridge. And I needed nearly ten years till I understood this name….the bridge from Rio to “Anti”-Rio, opposite at the other side.

We “cruised” through Aitoliko, a small village like an island in the lagoons
25786 25787

Saw the production of salt and Flamingos…..
25788 25789

And parked for the night in Mesolongi at the harbour….

Next morning we drove through “Greenland” heading North-West till Mytikas.
I never saw Greece so green in autumn, well, the best weather is not in Greece presently…….

And we stayed for the night in Mytikas at the harbour, nice little village at the west coast…
25793 25794 25795

Kali Nichta :wave:

Bernd

Geraldine
28-10-2014, 22:06
What are prices like out there ? Food,booze etc
How much do you think it has cost you so far,if you don't mind me asking.
Cheers
David

christine
29-10-2014, 09:29
remember stopping in Mytikas in 1997 and thought this looks like a nice place to return to. Haven't done so yet!

shaunr68
29-10-2014, 12:48
Really useful, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm following this thread with interest as we are due in Greece any day now, currently in Albania looking out towards Corfu, having spent the past month travelling through the Balkans. Please keep it up, some great locations noted.

Cheers
Shaun and Jude
http://www.woollywanderers.com

rottiontour
29-10-2014, 16:51
What are prices like out there ? Food,booze etc
How much do you think it has cost you so far,if you don't mind me asking.
Cheers
David

Hi David,
i do not know the average price level in Britain, so i can only compare it with the german price level.

Some examples:
Diesel between 1.20 E and 1.35 E per liter.

Camping sites are out of main season about 15 E, in the main season (July, Aug) 20-35 E per day.

Lidl shops are everywhere, the prices for "european import goods" are higher than in Germany, about plus 30%.
Local products on markets are often cheaper...it depends.

Tavernas....meals 2 persons all incl 25-30 E....depending on location, could be more expensive or cheaper.

Planning of costs, what we experienced:
We plan with monthly costs of 600 E for living (food and drink, household) and 20 Euros per 100 km which are travel costs, diesel, toll, vignettes, often it's cheaper.
And for staying on campsites with 15 Euros per day...wilding is cheaper :lol-053:
Not included is money for fun...visits, restaurants etc.

Hope this helps

Bernd

rottiontour
29-10-2014, 17:01
Really useful, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm following this thread with interest as we are due in Greece any day now, currently in Albania looking out towards Corfu, having spent the past month travelling through the Balkans. Please keep it up, some great locations noted.

Cheers
Shaun and Jude
The Woolly Wanderers – A Motorhome Adventure | A year meandering across Europe with our poodles Cleo and Eric (http://www.woollywanderers.com)

Hello Shaun and Jude,

thank you for your comment, i am following your blog too, it is VERY interesting.
We are presently in vicinity of Preveza, staying for some days, then going north and east again in Greece.
When i see two woolly wanderers or you see a Rottie (she is always good friend with dogs)...let's have a beer and a Tsipouro.

Safe travel

Bernd

Geraldine
29-10-2014, 19:15
Hi David,
i do not know the average price level in Britain, so i can only compare it with the german price level.

Some examples:
Diesel between 1.20 E and 1.35 E per liter.

Camping sites are out of main season about 15 E, in the main season (July, Aug) 20-35 E per day.

Lidl shops are everywhere, the prices for "european import goods" are higher than in Germany, about plus 30%.
Local products on markets are often cheaper...it depends.

Tavernas....meals 2 persons all incl 25-30 E....depending on location, could be more expensive or cheaper.

Planning of costs, what we experienced:
We plan with monthly costs of 600 E for living (food and drink, household) and 20 Euros per 100 km which are travel costs, diesel, toll, vignettes, often it's cheaper.
And for staying on campsites with 15 Euros per day...wilding is cheaper :lol-053:
Not included is money for fun...visits, restaurants etc.

Hope this helps

Bernd

Thank you Bernd,wow sounds a great experience.I also am enjoying your blog.
I still hold very fond memories for Greece and the people mostly from the islands though.
How long do you plan to stay there ?
Cheers
David

Devadave
29-10-2014, 19:43
absolutely loving this thread, I have been very lucky to visit Thasonaliki and Lamia to work for short periods and had some very good lessons in life from a Greek bloke, who had lived and worked in USA (the land of the free) for many years but returned to Greece because his children he felt would be safer and more respectful learning the Greek way.. ;)
Ive worked in Athens and had lunch by the Corinthian canal many times, I love the real Greece and one day when my merry go round slows and stops, im off with me van and missus to drink a few with our dog Uska.
Great thread keep it up...

Yamos...
Dave:banana: ;)

rottiontour
30-10-2014, 05:10
Thank you Bernd,wow sounds a great experience.I also am enjoying your blog.
I still hold very fond memories for Greece and the people mostly from the islands though.
How long do you plan to stay there ?
Cheers
David

Hi,

We do not know yet. First plan was to stay over winter. Second plan to spend xmas at home...we had 8 month good weather this year up to now a little bit snow would be nice.
Third plan ????? Only problem is the tv and the wx reports of "homeland"
We do not know.

Regards
Bernd

rottiontour
30-10-2014, 05:18
absolutely loving this thread, I have been very lucky to visit Thasonaliki and Lamia to work for short periods and had some very good lessons in life from a Greek bloke, who had lived and worked in USA (the land of the free) for many years but returned to Greece because his children he felt would be safer and more respectful learning the Greek way.. ;)
Ive worked in Athens and had lunch by the Corinthian canal many times, I love the real Greece and one day when my merry go round slows and stops, im off with me van and missus to drink a few with our dog Uska.
Great thread keep it up...

Yamos...
Dave:banana: ;)

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your comment.
And concerning your Greek bloke....may be he is not too wrong...

Regards
Bernd

rottiontour
30-10-2014, 16:53
erased due to malfunction....see following post....thanks for the hint
be

horshamjack
30-10-2014, 17:43
Nice post again Bernd unfortunately links not workin :(

rottiontour
30-10-2014, 17:45
do not know why...checking

rottiontour
30-10-2014, 18:00
another trial......the first one was unsucc

The night in the harbour of Mytikas was quiet and in the dawn fishermen came along to prepare their boats.
Good fresh bread (Artos) at the bakery and we started heading North.

The coastal road is fascinating and really worth to see, unfortunately many people will never see it, cause they don´t use the harbour of Igoumenitsa and drive directly from Patras to the South.

And obviously the road is a little bit dangerous, many little chapels made of metal or stone are lined up at the road.
I did not know the reason for this large number of little chapels at all Greek roads until I asked….
The chapels generally were built and positioned after a traffic accident with dead people or if a very bad incident had a lucky end. In case a picture of a victim is displayed in the chapel it was most probably a severe traffic accident.
Icons, candle lights, lighters, water and oil are always inside the little chapels. And often after the accident a crash barrier has been built up in order to avoid the next accident….too late.
25842 25843

And then we left West Greece and drove into Epirus and found a very nice beach at “Mytikas Two”, the Mytikas of Epirus, north of Preveza.

And Mytikas is a great village, not only because of its fantastic beaches and its water taps and showers, but it has a LAUNDRY ….the first one I ever saw in Greece, fantastic.
25845 25846

Next morning Anni took that occasion….dryer ….and we got to know Vassili, the owner of the laundry.
And Vassili told us about his life, 28 years at Siemens in Germany, a real technician, he maintains and repairs all his washing machines by his own with a stunning talent for improvisation. Very proudly he showed us his inventions, e.g. his 1 Euro automat to get powder for washing. Inside it is looking like a Gatling gun.
25847 25848

And because often the water is switched off in the town, he constructed a 2000 litre tank and so he has sufficient water for one week. His neighbours don´t understand, why he always has sufficient water, they assume that he steals the water. His answer is…it is simple, you only must THINK….what a great and funny guy.

After “automatic washing and drying” we made an excursion to the ancient Nikopolis.
25849 25850 25851

Pindos with white caps, a little bit too early this year…..

Later on we found a very nice Stellplatz at the long and sandy beach north of Kanali.….

This time it is not only Rottie´s beach, but mine as well…..

Looks a little bit like a wheel chair, but it isn´t….not yet!!

And Rottie is "Profi", an excellent security for the cold Mythos beer at the beach :wave:

Xalara….hang loose

Bernd

rottiontour
01-11-2014, 19:52
The parking at Kanali beach was excellent :), one of the best, but we continued driving, plan was to visit the Hades, the Empire of the Dead.

We passed the “Nekromanteio”, the Oracle of the dead. Priests forecasted the future by asking the dead and made much money as the old buildings prove.
25881 25882

We approached the river Acherontas, heading to “Spring of Acherontas”. At Glyki we found a nice Stellplatz directly next by the Acherontas.
So we started to look after the “ferryman” who transported the dead to the opposite bank of the river into the Empire of the Dead, the “Hades”, but only in case a coin was put under the tongue of the dead. The entrance of Hades was guarded by “Cerberus the hellhound”.
Well, we neither met the ferryman nor we saw the ferry, it was replaced by a more modern type of transit, a bridge, and so the ferryman could retire.

But at least we saw “hellhound” at the entrance of Hades, where the footpath ended.

Better to go back to m/home. When we arrived at the car, Anni wished to leave, she was not really happy to stay overnight in vicinity of Hades:scared:. So we drove back to the beach, to a nice harbour Stellplatz at the mouth of Acherontas….and to a cold beer, good bye Hades.
25885 25886

Next morning we decided to cross the Pindos Mountains from West to East. And so we started “cross country” heading Arta. MS Autoroute did a great job, I never lost orientation.

Arta is a nice town, not too large, a castle and an old Turkish bridge.
25888 25889

Very idyllic restaurants at the bridge and easy to park up the car. So we parked up in a large , empty parking area near the edge of the town. Walking with the dog I met a Greek who stopped me and asked me to be silent. He was a bird catcher with traps for little singing birds. He said the situation in Greece is very bad and he is unemployed since four month, so he was not able to pay his electricity bill and the company switched off his electricity.
By catching and selling the birds he is getting about 5 Euros per day, that is a help, he said.
Nevertheless, he was very friendly and full of humour and after he had directed me to water tap, he warned me to stay at this place, too many illegal immigrants and gypsies around. He offered to direct me to a safer place in Arta and so we found a very good Stellplatz at a public recreation area.
But before we moved to the new parking we had some peculiar “incidents” with some non-Greeks.
Two young boys followed me and tried to get into contact with me. They looked not very reputable…and Rottie kept them on safety distance.
Some minutes later another young man came close to the car and looked into a side window. Rottie detected him and I jumped out of the car to clarify the situation. But because he feared the dog he tried to keep the car door closed and I had to activate my 95 kilos to push and open the door of the m/h. Being outside i saw a thin man who looked really afraid and did not understand greek. But I understood that he was hungry, gave him 2 Euros and he went off....well, Rottie was relatively quiet.
Some minutes later I saw two 12-14 years old girls, non greeks, who had two puppies and who were singing and dancing around the puppies. The puppies were totally afraid. I shouted they should finish this game but they did not understand. Instead they offered me to take photos and began posing :mad1:.
Well, obviously not really dangerous situations but uncomfortable ones, and I prefer quiet nights, it´s more comfortable. So we took the advice of the Greek to leave that place and drive to the safe public park.
Very nice place :), only friendly Greeks with dogs outside, walking, running, doing sports, totally different area.
Some minutes later the friendly Greek visited us again, this time with his dog, a young Pitbull, and Rottie and Pitbull played in the park…..great situation now :sleep-027:.

Bernd

iampatman
01-11-2014, 20:15
As you say Bernd, not dangerous but uncomfortable. Many poor non Greek people in Greece now. Sounds like you handled it well. Good job you had Cyberus with you eh :)
Kali Tychi,
Pat

rottiontour
04-11-2014, 13:50
Arta, 01 Nov, 10:00, 19 C, sunny and no clouds, parked up at a very nice place, super quiet night and……..Ducatos are very manoeuvrable, :lol-053:.

Walking with the dog around the big recreation area was a pleasure, many friendly people, young and old, were walking around the lake and all were smiling, super friendly. Some asked me where I came from and some asked about the dog…..
25924 25925

After a visit of a large China Mall…..i like China Malls in Greece, you can get really nice clothes for a reasonable price and a perfect service….we left Arta and headed North to Dodoni, then via Ioannina to a Stellplatz near Vrosina up in the mountains.

The ancient oracle of Dodoni was very interesting and….no entrance fee, cause in November all Sundays are free of charge, and we got an informative flyer about the oracle area.
Dodoni has a very impressive amphitheatre, many ruins of temples and buildings and Dodoni is famous for its Oak Oracle.
25927 25928

During many centuries the priests of Dodoni were sitting under the oaks, listening to the sound of the oak leaves and the singing of the birds interpreting the future…and made good money with it. Sometimes I wish the politicians of today would be replaced by the priests of Dodoni or Delphi, the oracles couldn`t be worse than the boxxxcks coming out of the mouth of the politicians of today.
I tried to listen to the leaves as well but I was not successful….nothing to hear.
Well, I think tonight I will test the “Oracle of Anni” :scared: which comes up automatically after I had some little Tsipouro and some beer…:lol-053:.

And we learnt how the Greeks of today handle the big stones for the “refurbishment” of the buildings…

Another relict of a temple…..

….i think they all are exchangeable, in case you have seen one of them you have seen them all.
But for me the nucleus is the mystic atmosphere of those ancient locations, I simply like it.

So we continued towards Ioannina, saw a WW II memorial next by the road......
25931 25932

….and ended up at least at a nice and quiet Stellplatz high up in the mountains of Vrosina.

Next morning we decided to go back to Agiokampos to relax some days.
We intended to avoid the highway, which is excellent by the way, but the Katara pass was closed, I guess the pass will not be maintained any longer, because of the new highway….what a pity, it was a real scenic drive.
So we passed Meteora…. the Monasteries of Heaven…..always a stunning scenery.
25934 25935

We entered Thessaly again, “lidled” in Larissa and came back to Camping Aegeas for which we still had the key. No other guests here, quiet, and Rottie was very happy to be back weeping when we drove onto "her" place.
So we took over again the three important jobs….chief camping site (me), chief kitchen (Anni) and chief security (Rottie). Luckily chief campsites have not too much work, but on the other hand “being responsible” could be a real hard job too …:cheers:

Regards :camper:
Bernd

rottiontour
10-11-2014, 19:28
Lazy days in Agiokampos, still alone on campsite as being in a parallel universe.
The weather is not the best in the micro cosmos of this bight surrounded by the mountains of Mavrovouni and Kissavos. But we can stand it, it´s like June in Northland, 20 C, often cloudy, dress code “t-shirt” is ok. Sometimes the weather is a little bit worse...
26018 26020

Sometimes a little medium…..

And sometimes quite good…..

The blond “weather forecast girls” on TV always are broadcasting “sunny to cloudy” :baby: but this does not happen too often :cry:. One evening the ladies announced “sunny and dry” and I met Tito the Albanian. I asked him about next day’s weather and he said….rain at 10:00l….hmmh.
Next morning I walked with the dog looking out for the sun iaw the “blond forecast” and at 09:50l it started to rain….oups.
Well, I think it´s better to “bin” the daily “blond forecast” and change over to the “Albanian weather oracle”.

One day we got the information that on Larissa Military Air Base will be an “open-door-day” with a little air show. Anni, Rottie and me in the van on a Greek air base, how cool is that :banana:?

Ok, I know, some people do not like military air shows :scared:, so pls excuse and….
stop reading from now on…..

And so we drove to the main gate, the military guard looked a little bit amused, seeing the big white van and the Rottie, stopped us and asked, what our intention was. I said…air show…and they laughed, saluted and we passed the entrance gate with the Rottie inside and followed the long queue of cars…..a civil Rottie on a military air base, unbelievable, not possible in my homeland, OMG :scared:.... but apparently this is not my home country.

Really an amazing Stellplatz, isn´t it? Not too far from the static display, please… Greeks don´t like to walk too much :D.

What a stunning atmosphere….old people, young people, families and children, boy and girl scouts and school classes, all laughing, having a lot of fun but also very disciplined and… no political anti-war-demonstration outside:hammer:, how could that happen?...Oh, I forgot, i´m not in my home country, shame on me.
26023 26024

60 years with Phantom II, nice nozzle....

Yes.... they had some barriers to stop the people to touch the A/Cs but…..they are Greeks, so after some time the barriers were gone and the soldiers helped the children to “feel the Phantom skin”…and so I did too, burner-burner-go :plane:.

Legends never die…it´s true, isn´t it.

And they did it….they “rocked the sky”. The air show was filled with “Full A/B jet noise” and Hard Rock music. Whilst F 16s performed hard turns drawing contrails into the sky, Led Zeppelin`s “Whole Lotta Love” covered the airfield ….and enthusiastic applause came up.
The air demo had many fascinating moments….national anthem and an F 16 slow mover passing by and very appropriate behaviour of the people ….. F 16 “airobatics” in close vicinity….turbo prop demos like Red Bull Air Race….Apache acrobatic flight firing flairs just in front of the people (with a “Greek safety distance” for sure) and so on.
26027 26028 26029

But for me the most stunning facts were, how the Greek airmen performed that day…super friendly, politely, helpful, full of humour and easy going but as well very disciplined….and how the Greek people accepted “their Greek Airforce”. Hmmh, for me it is simply astonishing cause I am coming from a parallel universe far up in the North.
An amazing day, the best for me up to now.

And those who do not like military airshows….it´s finished now, you may continue reading :o.

Only Rottie was not happy about the air show, it was too noisy for her in the van and she was glad to meet her friends in Agiokampos again….

Friends of Rottie…???...i doubt it, :lol-053:.

Kali orexi
Bernd

iampatman
10-11-2014, 20:42
Wow, Bernd. Just Wow,

Pat

christine
11-11-2014, 09:00
Brilliant.As you say, it couldn't happen the same anywhere else, especially not England!

izwozral
11-11-2014, 09:49
Just read all your posts from start to finish Bernd & I am entralled - truly amazing blog. Well done & thank you so much for sharing it. I am about to change next years itinerary to take in more of Greece than originally intended.

rottiontour
11-11-2014, 21:35
This day is a real sad day, we have to leave Agiokampos and to go to Saloniki, the fridge has a problem, not a big one but a problem. And in Saloniki is a m/h mechanic, Zambetas…..hi Pat, do you know… oh sorry, I shouldn`t have mentioned this :sad:.
I phoned already to Alexandros Zambetas, he spoke better German than me, what´s that :mad1:?
But it´s not a secret, the brothers Zambetas grew up in Germany and learned their profession in Stuttgart. That makes it easy for me. And…Alexandros is a Thetford specialist, the best in Greece, for sure.

And the sad fact is not the weather, as usual the forecast reported “sunny” and it is “grey”, so what. The sad fact is…. we have to LEAVE Agiokampos…. no more philosophical discussions with the Pantopolio-chief, no coffee with the neighbours, no joking with the Albanians, no laughing with the road workers and no olives harvesting with our friends in Sykourio, I will miss all of it, definitely. But what is the saddest fact for me, I have to say good bye to the dogs….to the little white “Blessy” with big scar on her head, to “Whitey, the runner, or to “Potty” with a wound like a pothole on his rear side and to “Ari” Aristoteles the king of the road and to the shy “Browny”, which just allows me to touch him :sad::sad::sad:
And so I did the last “volta”, the dog walk. And they all were there, waiting for me, coming out of the meadows in the morning and stretching their legs. I always buy some bread more for the dogs and they all are “shadowing” me when I am biking through the town, up to 8 dogs now, the Greeks don´t understand and shake their heads….this German must be totally crazy :lol-049:.
26047 26048 26049

Well, the car is packed and “Potty” accompanies me to the campsite, I think the dogs know, what´s going on…..Romeo and Julia, they could not come together….

So, along the East coast heading North until Paralia Korinos, the beach of Korinos……

The tourist town of Paralia Katerini fell asleep over the winter……

We found a suitable Stellplatz on the beach, lonely, silent, with a little river, and with grass, ideal conditions for the dog……

But there was only one big problem….the dog herself. She did not leave the car for a walk, no way, she refused. At least I had to force the 42 Kilos to go with me for a walk, and she made her “p” , left me alone and run back to the car and hide below the table…what´s that, she never did that before ???
Inside the car she was totally nervous, always “on alert”, but nobody was outside, nothing, total silence. We did not understand and prepared the car for sleeping.
Suddenly someone knocked at the door :scared:, we haven´t heard anybody approaching the car and the dog was quiet, unbelievable quiet .
Outside in the darkness stood an old Greek and talked to me in fluent German “Hallo Deutschland”. And then he said that it is very dangerous to stay overnight here at this place. 4 days ago a car with two people was attacked during the night, the people were knocked down and totally robbed within seconds. The burglars must have been 4 Bulgarians in a car as far as the victims said later on.
And the old Greek said that he was robbed as well two years ago, obviously eastern bandits, since the borders are open the crime rate did increase drastically in this tourist area of Katerini…..hmmh, very interesting.

And he took his car and showed us a safer place, in vicinity of houses and with lamps. Ok, this would be great for the night, but the dog refused again to leave the car, no way to get her out.
So we left again and drove to the highway restaurant of Korinos, many lorries around, video cameras and always people running around, not a really nice place for sleeping. And at once the dog jumped out of the car, saw some other dogs on the grass and played with them as if they were old friends. And after a while the Rottie was tired and jumped into the car, laid down and fell asleep deeply….unbelievable.

Next time I will listen more carefully to the dog, she is feeling much more than me and she is telling it to me…..i simply must listen to her and understand but this is not easy cause I am a stupid human.

I think now it´s a good time for a beer.....:lol-053:

Bernd

iampatman
11-11-2014, 21:49
Hi Bernd,

Yes, give my regards to the brothers Zampetas. Tell them I'm losing a little pressure in my near side air suspension and I'll be coming back next year for them to fix it :) :) They are great guys.
Hope you get there in one piece, you should be ok, you have a special dog there with you.

Pat

Gemani2
12-11-2014, 10:00
I love this thread, sounds absolute bliss, lovely part of Greece, reminds me of when we did some sailing in the Gulf of Volos, stayed at a little place called Palio Trikeri ( I think) near to Milina. I remember sitting at a taverna on the beach with the waves lapping my feet , looking at the moon...I am very envious of your travels and love to read, your updates

rottiontour
13-11-2014, 16:29
The night was ok but there was still the small fridge problem, apparently the heating spiral (in a fridge….????).
So we headed inbound Thessaloniki, to the brothers Antonis and Alexandros Zampetas, m/h-mechanics….good address, thank you, Pat.

No problem to find them, and it developed again to a Greek day…….
It was not the politeness and kindness of Alexandros and Antonis , no, we are since 2 month in Greece and we are used to it. And it was not that both and the mechanic, an Albanian, speak best German, we are already used to it.
No, it was the method, how they solved the problem…..the GREEK method!!

5 minutes testing, the problem was defined….5 minutes discussing in Greek, they had the solution. BUT !!!...the two holes outside for air circulation of the fridge with the grids were too small to do the repair…. many thanks to the constructors.
And to do it from inside meant to remove the whole fridge…. fixed with foam, haha, what a disaster :scared:.
And so they had “their problem” to explain to me “the Greek JIGSAW method”…..to me, a German !!
With a jigsaw they wanted to treat a German m/home…..arrgh!! :scared::scared::scared: !!... well knowing that especially the Germans are really desperate and start crying loudly in case a tiny scratch is at the car :cry:.
So they explained to me their method very carefully, I must admit they appeared a little bit hesitant to me.
It would be better to enlarge the grid hole outside a little bit with a jigsaw than removing the fridge from inside. That means to me instead of a hole 20 by 40 cm with a grid, now a whole 40 by 40 cm with a new, larger grid.
And they were not only astonished but really happy that I accepted the proposal without nervous breakdown… so what, a larger hole for cooling air is better than a smaller hole, and….it would be an excellent service opening so I would be able to do all repairs of the fridge by myself :D.

And there was another problem for the brothers….the grid was not from Thetford but from Domestic….oh my God:scared:!!
Well, after 3 hours work the fridge was ok, the impression the car is making with the larger Domestic grid now is excellent…and so unique, :banana:.
And 4 hours later I was happy about the bill, 155 Euros:D incl heater spiral, “Domestic”grid, cleaning of the shower drainpipe (the poor Albanian got wet), cleaning the gas nozzle and the work for Alexandros and the Albanian. I think this is a very fair price.
And….a cost free night on the ground of Zampetas incl electricity, water and dump.

And a great night for the Rottie to play during the night with the two “guard” dogs of Zampetas using the whole area…..Zampetas, I really can recommend them.
26087 26088

I think in the future I will not have the car repaired in Germany but at Zampetas, save money and stay longer in Greece.
By the way, Pat, they are expecting you in spring to fix your air suspension problem, shall I make an appointment for you :D?

And then we turned to North back home, three reasons….bad wx, the worst I ever had in GR….house repair in homeland, as usual something broke in the house….and xmas with the children.
Initially we were very sad having done that decision, but Zampetas helped again, accidentally.
We spoke about dogs and he said there is a crazy German (all Germans are crazy :D) in Epanomi having an animal shelter. I asked, where?
Antonis took his cell phone and 15 minutes later Peter came to us and invited us to visit his shelter. I asked if we could come next year in March to help a little bit and he was really, really happy about that, doing all the work for 85 dogs now.
And so we are going to leave Greece but….WE HAVE A PLAN!!
It´s great, isn´t it?

:cool:
Bernd

iampatman
13-11-2014, 17:52
The Zampetas brothers are amazing. They have a solution for all motorhome problems, without a delay. None of this "well we can maybe fit you in next week" No sucking of teeth and shaking of heads. I'm back to Greece next spring and that's where I'll have my next service done and a coffee with the mechanics and share a joke or two.
Sorry to hear about your house problems Bernd but I'm glad you're going home now. You were making me toooooo jealous :) :)
Take care,
Pat

witzend
13-11-2014, 17:56
Safe Journey Home Bernd thanks for all Posts, hope to see you next year

rottiontour
19-11-2014, 20:10
Back home in Germany....home???.... but not feeling really “at home” :cry:...the only lucky one is Rottie.
About 1000 km to go to East Frisia, highway, rain, traffic jam, not a real challenge.

We drove via Autoput through Macedonia and Serbia and just before Belgrade we turned to East again. The weather was great at midday, a good opportunity to see the valley of the Danube breaking through the Carpathian mountains. Although sunset was near the scenery was fantastic again, another highlight of the tour
26171 26172 26173

Overnight in Baile Herculane at CP Hercules….hi Pat, we had a great menu in the evening at the restaurant….but then the rain started, it was getting colder.

At Orsova I had to fulfil a “tasking” by a friend of mine. He told me that his uncle was buried in the vicinity of Orsova after an aircraft crash in 1944 and he asked me to search for his grave…..hmmh.
By chance I found in MS Autoroute near Orsova a “cimitir”, There I met again by chance an old priest who spoke as bad French as i and who explained the historic situation to me. He took me to an old Russian military cemetery some hundred meters away.
And he told me the story of the cemetery, it was so fascinating. He assured me that all soldiers of that time were buried only on this cemetery, Russians, Serbs, Albanians, Croatians and Germans, it´s the only one in this region. But sometimes they were buried under a cross but no name on it.
So I am 100% sure that i found the cemetery where the “uncle” of my friend was buried. And in a corner of the cemetery he is resting in peace….under a cross with no name.
26175 26176 26177

We continued northerly heading and the wx conditions slowly changed back to Northern conditions…..rain, wind and cold….
As well the circumstances changed…..unfriendly faces observing the Rottie…. no friendly small talks any longer….people selling intrusively fake watches, saying no was not enough, Rottie did a good job…., dodgy people doing shady business at the parking….. loads of security and police at the highways… speed controls…..too many cars on the highways…..no people outside the houses, no winking, no laughing, nothing….no water at the Stellplatz, danger of icing, brrrh….and I am fed up already.

Now we are back home. At home we will do what we have to do and then……back to Greece, asap, to the most friendly, the most free and most lovely country I ever saw in my life…and I saw a lot.
Sometimes Anni and i we do not have the same opinion, but this time we have…..

WE ARE MISSING GREECE! :cry::cry::cry:

Thank you all very much for your interest and for your friendly comments, I enjoyed it very much and it was a pleasure for me to write down a little bit about the tour.
And in case the stories sometimes have been a little bit boring, I hope my English made you smile instead.
And as i said....we have a plan....we will go to the dogs of Epanomi as soon as the wx situation will allow :):):).

:cheers:.......:wave:

Bernd, Anni and 26178

iampatman
19-11-2014, 20:46
Hey Bernd,

You were thinking of coming to Spain maybe?

Look what I found for you:)

Pat

christine
20-11-2014, 09:26
Wonderful diary. Glad you got home safely. I now look forward to your next Greek jaunt!

mlynnf50
25-01-2015, 12:49
We arrive in Greece on29th August until 25 th October. an suggestions for the route please and where to stay, we also have a dog that can be yappy (cocker Spaniel)

rottiontour
25-01-2015, 20:39
We arrive in Greece on29th August until 25 th October. an suggestions for the route please and where to stay, we also have a dog that can be yappy (cocker Spaniel)

Hi,
a proposal for a routing with 3 overnight parkings, all suitable for the dog.

1. Day..... Igoumenitsa---Kalpaki, 1. overnight parking.
Nice route through mountains, empty road, condition quite allright.
Overnight parking near Kalpaki, Oxi-day museum, nice taverne with parking and meals. Or parking cost free near the museum at the the little chapel...water tap.
Next by the taverna is butcher´s shop, buy Loukaniko, a greek fried sausage for barbecue or pan, very good loukaniko there, self made, eat it with lemon juice, real greek sausage, or eat it in the taverna.

2. Day …...see Pindos women monument and Vikos Gorge, fantastic scenery, and then drive back to 2. overnight parking at Mikro Papingo. Again a scenic drive and a natural “Spa” near the parking, very nice , sometimes the water is cold but good to wake up in the morning.

3. Day...... drive to Vergoritis Lake, 3. overnight parking, stay overnight on an old camping site which is inactive now, good overnight place, a taverna in the town Agios Panteleimon.

4. Day …...drive to Edessa with beautiful waterfalls, very nice. Then to Thessaloniki, or you can stay overnight at the parking in Edessa if you like.

Have fun with planning
Bernd

Channelcrosser
26-01-2015, 07:52
Hi Bernd,

Have just read with great interest all of your notes thank you. We are currently in Italy and will cross to Igoumenitsa from Bari in the next couple of weeks and we will follow your route to Thessalonika.

Can you advise us about Internet in Greece. We use an iPad and in Italy we simply go to a TIM shop, buy a SIM card and 10Gb access for 25€ which is for one month.

Can we do the same in Greece ????

Look forward to hearing back from you.

rottiontour
26-01-2015, 10:44
Hi Bernd,

Have just read with great interest all of your notes thank you. We are currently in Italy and will cross to Igoumenitsa from Bari in the next couple of weeks and we will follow your route to Thessalonika.

Can you advise us about Internet in Greece. We use an iPad and in Italy we simply go to a TIM shop, buy a SIM card and 10Gb access for 25€ which is for one month.

Hi Channelcrosser,
obviously you crossed all channels successfully:).
Yes, you can do the same in Greece, but i guess it is more expensive, about 4 times, 500 mb for 5 Euros, plus taxes etc.
For the method to get internet see this
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/greece/40601-mobile-internet-greece.html

And may be there are better methods for internet but this is at least one.

Have fun
Bernd

mlynnf50
27-01-2015, 09:37
Thank you so much Rotti, maybe back to pick your brains again.

wildcampnewbie
27-01-2015, 13:53
Hi Bernd, I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures in Greece, you have an excellent writing style and your command of the English language is a credit to you.

Greece has just moved to the top of my list of places to explore. Thanks again.

mlynnf50
28-01-2015, 07:45
Hi Bernd,

Have a good time channel, let me know how it went, we are in the french Alps on way back, if you fancy a stop loads of free camping places.

mlynnf50
28-01-2015, 19:22
Well booked the ferry, cant wait now for 28th August until 15 October ypee...following Bernd itinerary...

mlynnf50
01-02-2015, 13:34
Hi,
a proposal for a routing with 3 overnight parkings, all suitable for the dog.

1. Day..... Igoumenitsa---Kalpaki, 1. overnight parking.
Nice route through mountains, empty road, condition quite allright.
Overnight parking near Kalpaki, Oxi-day museum, nice taverne with parking and meals. Or parking cost free near the museum at the the little chapel...water tap.
Next by the taverna is butcher´s shop, buy Loukaniko, a greek fried sausage for barbecue or pan, very good loukaniko there, self made, eat it with lemon juice, real greek sausage, or eat it in the taverna.

2. Day …...see Pindos women monument and Vikos Gorge, fantastic scenery, and then drive back to 2. overnight parking at Mikro Papingo. Again a scenic drive and a natural “Spa” near the parking, very nice , sometimes the water is cold but good to wake up in the morning.

3. Day...... drive to Vergoritis Lake, 3. overnight parking, stay overnight on an old camping site which is inactive now, good overnight place, a taverna in the town Agios Panteleimon.

4. Day …...drive to Edessa with beautiful waterfalls, very nice. Then to Thessaloniki, or you can stay overnight at the parking in Edessa if you like.

Have fun with planning
Bernd
Hi Bernd,

we will have a trailer are the roads ok for Hymer b 524g and trailer, hubby leaves it all to me, then when ot goes wtong I am yo blame .....lol

rottiontour
01-02-2015, 20:20
Hi Bernd,

we will have a trailer are the roads ok for Hymer b 524g and trailer, hubby leaves it all to me, then when ot goes wtong I am yo blame .....lol

Hi, i´m not worried about being blamed i´m used to it :lol-053:. And I am not really trained to handle trailers.

The conditions of the roads are ok for me cause made for lorries too, so it should be ok with a trailer…..i guess. Sometimes a little bit bumpy but ok.
But one exemption:
I would not do the Vikos Gorge and Mikro Papingo with a trailer at the beginning of September, although busses are doing it as well. And 29th/30t , your arrival is a weekend. It could be still “busy” there and a little bit complicated to turn the “truck” ….especially at the weekends, the Greeks like their nature too.
But if you want to see a real stunning scenery, go to Vikos Gorge and leave out the 2. parking at Mikro Papingo. This is nice and lovely but Vikos Gorge is great.
May be you can leave the trailer at the taverna at Kalpiki, first parking on the map. The owner is very friendly, simply ask. Or may be in the village or at a filling station and do the tour only with m/h.

And in case you want to have some hints for another "trailer-easy tour"....feel free

Be

Channelcrosser
02-02-2015, 08:09
Have a good time channel, let me know how it went, we are in the french Alps on way back, if you fancy a stop loads of free camping places.

Thanks mlynnf50, if you pm me your email I can put you on our newsletter list! We don't do FAcebook, albeit I have transferred our notes onto wildcamping blog.

ian81
02-02-2015, 11:28
Channel Crosser your website made me smile!!!

I quote
""Information is updated on a regular basis unlike a lot of websites found on the web which continue to refer to companies and ships which have long gone.

The information on this website was last updated on Thursday 2nd August 2012.""

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS