PDA

View Full Version : Camp fires.

merc the berc
02-10-2014, 11:44
I was just wondering how many people build a fire when they're wild camping? Personally i love sitting outside on a starry night with a roaring fire going, the smell of the wood smoke, fresh dew on the ground.

Obviously it depends where your parked up and if you need to stay unnoticed and all stealthy like....

So, who has a fire then? :anyone:

Tezza33
02-10-2014, 12:08
There is a rumour campervanannie lights a fire :banana:

kenspain
02-10-2014, 12:24
There is a rumour campervanannie lights a fire :banana:

Don,t know why she needs a fire someone on here said she was hot stuff :D:D:D:D

campervanannie
02-10-2014, 12:53
I love a good campfire we had the best on the Drove at Stonehenge last week according to the regular hippies thanks to Mr Woodcutter and the bigger the fire the better the SH*T burns. :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

tim m154
02-10-2014, 13:04
Yep, regular pyromaniac me, we use an old car wheel rim propped of the ground with three angle iron legs welded to the side, and with a steel sheet underneath to catch the ash, this also prevents damage to the surrounding grass, also if very nice grass we put blocks under the sheet to raise it of the ground by 2" next morning absolutely no ground damage. P.S. Don't use an alloy wheel!!!!!

n brown
02-10-2014, 13:14
I love a good campfire we had the best on the Drove at Stonehenge last week according to the regular hippies thanks to Mr Woodcutter and the bigger the fire the better the SH*T burns. :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049: yes,i heard your fires were cr ap

izwozral
02-10-2014, 13:23
I always take a bag of logs, axe & bow saw with me & light a fire in a large steel drum thingy that has a 4" steel base so the grass remains undamaged. I also cook on the fire & have a billy can which I hang on a 36" steel tripod with a steel cord threaded through the top which allows the billy or cooking grill to be raised or lowered.

Bracken my faithful dog caught a rabbit a couple of months ago which I cooked on the fire & shared with her. Sounds a bit cheesy I suppose but it gave me a real feeling of being at one with nature. I had the daftest grin on my face most of the night & I actually think Bracken did too!

Great night that will stay with me forever.

n brown
02-10-2014, 13:41
most of my favourite travelling memories involve sitting round campfires, drinking beer and talking into the early hours. the bigger the fire the better!

Geraldine
02-10-2014, 13:43
We wildcamped in Deal,Kent.I could not believe it when Mandie got out the mobile firepit,placed it near some park benches ! and started to cook our dinner on it.I was waiting for the local residents to complain ,but hey Ho those that wandered across walking their dogs did nothing else but compliment us.
Funny world.
We love our firepit,as some of you on here know!
X
David

clarkpeacock
02-10-2014, 14:10
I just bought this a couple of weeks ago and used for the first time last weekend. Cooked a big fry up on it. Brilliant!

Deleted user 21925
02-10-2014, 14:13
I just bought this a couple of weeks ago and used for the first time last weekend. Cooked a big fry up on it. Brilliant!

Yup, I got one too. They are brilliant especially in a suitable tent, and light enough to carry in the canoe. Roll on Winter.

n brown
02-10-2014, 14:15

2529925300 how much was it ?

clarkpeacock
02-10-2014, 14:21
how much was it ?

Not cheap but well made....
Frontier Stove - Portable Stove & Woodburner
(http://www.midimax.co.uk/Camping-Outdoors/Cooking/Frontier-Stove-Portable-Stove-Woodburner)
By the way - mine came with a 10% discount code offer for website orders. Use the code Midi10 at check out. Might work :)

clarkpeacock
02-10-2014, 14:29
And I bought one of these

Gerber Gator Combo Axe II (http://www.midimax.co.uk/Knives-Multi-Tools/Axes/gator)

Just so I could get my chopper out when camping!:eek:

izwozral
02-10-2014, 15:32

That looks pretty cool, what is it called?

izwozral
02-10-2014, 15:33
oops, should have looked further down!

Loretta
02-10-2014, 15:54
I love me a big camp fire also but have to leave a warning here:( If you go to Portugal between May and November is illegal, and carries a heavy fine, to light any open fire in the countryside, and everybody is always on the look out for the slightest infraction to such a extreme that I got fined for using a petrol streamer.Then again they to have a big problem with forest fires in the summer.
(BTW I don't carry a petrol streamer with me in my van:), I was on my parents property cleaning some bush)

clarkpeacock
02-10-2014, 15:55
That looks pretty cool, what is it called?

Here's a link to the manufacturers site Multi-Fuel and Wood Burning Portable Camping Stoves from Anevay (http://anevay.co.uk/camping-stoves.html)

campervanannie
02-10-2014, 17:16

Toy story bring one of those to most of our meets and we cook on it occasionally its brill.

Neckender
02-10-2014, 17:40
This is what I use, very easy to make from a washing machine drum, with the pulley reversed to make the stand. You can also par boil potatoes and then put them around the rim to finally cook.

John.

Washing Machine Drum Incinerator Fire Pit Patio Burner Heater, BBQ, Camping Fire | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washing-Machine-Drum-Incinerator-Fire-Pit-Patio-Burner-Heater-BBQ-Camping-Fire-/291242337392?pt=UK_Home_Garden_BBQ_s_Accessories_L E&hash=item43cf656470)

Moonraker 2
02-10-2014, 22:38
It seems very acceptable to light fires when camping in Scotland. So on one stop in a wood near a river I had a go. Stones already in place so searched for fallen wood and had a go. I was thrilled my fire making skills had not been lost, no fire lighters here. Thought I had really got it going and got out the frying pan to make pancakes but they wouldn't cook. The coals seemed to just fade away and cool. So I gave up and went into the van. I think the wood was too thin and did not make nice big chunks of charcoal. Oh well it was fun but no camp fire songs for me.

merc the berc
03-10-2014, 06:56
I love a good campfire we had the best on the Drove at Stonehenge last week according to the regular hippies thanks to Mr Woodcutter and the bigger the fire the better the SH*T burns. :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

Yeah, i've had many a good camp fire at the drove, there can be a few vans parked up there with nobody bothering with each other, until they see a roaring fire going and then, out they come....:heart:

redsmall6
09-10-2014, 22:57

one of the first things out of my friends is the firepit

thairover
10-10-2014, 01:35
This is what I use, very easy to make from a washing machine drum, with the pulley reversed to make the stand. You can also par boil potatoes and then put them around the rim to finally cook.

John.

Washing Machine Drum Incinerator Fire Pit Patio Burner Heater, BBQ, Camping Fire | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washing-Machine-Drum-Incinerator-Fire-Pit-Patio-Burner-Heater-BBQ-Camping-Fire-/291242337392?pt=UK_Home_Garden_BBQ_s_Accessories_L E&hash=item43cf656470)
They go for around 25-30 at the VW shows.
The latest version is a large gas bottle, valve removed, with a length of threaded bar couple of nuts and washers, base cut off and a few holes cut into the sides, 25 a throw with a bundle of wood thrown in.
A better version here that I do like. http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1648839@N22/pool/interesting/ :idea-007:

runnach
10-10-2014, 06:43
Remember, anyone attempting a DIY empty gas bottle stove, MUST take precautions prior to commencing hot work on cylinder. Even empty, they are highly potential bomb!

n brown
10-10-2014, 07:06
good point,i always fill the bottle with water once the valve is off.

merc the berc
10-10-2014, 08:12
Remember, anyone attempting a DIY empty gas bottle stove, MUST take precautions prior to commencing hot work on cylinder. Even empty, they are highly potential bomb!

I've always fancied making one of these, but as you say, potentially bloody lethal if you don't know what you're doing...:D

Dive Tramp
10-10-2014, 09:59
They're dead easy to make, if you have a grinder and a welder.

rockape
10-10-2014, 20:35
Years ago whilst tenting i used an old stainless steel drum from a washing machine that was cut down alittle. didnt rust and worked a treat.

rockape
10-10-2014, 20:38

John.

Washing Machine Drum Incinerator Fire Pit Patio Burner Heater, BBQ, Camping Fire | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washing-Machine-Drum-Incinerator-Fire-Pit-Patio-Burner-Heater-BBQ-Camping-Fire-/291242337392?pt=UK_Home_Garden_BBQ_s_Accessories_L E&hash=item43cf656470)Sorry didnt see your reply. Ive also added to it

Deleted user 21925
10-10-2014, 20:39
I often use one of these when tent camping;

The Honey Stove - Outdoor Camping Stove also known as The Bees Knees (http://www.penrithsurvival.com/buy/the-honey-stove-outdoor-camping-stove-also-known-as-the-bees-knees_760.htm)

invalid
11-10-2014, 16:08
You could look at one of these Portable Wood Burning Stove Patio Garden Camp Mini Fire Van Night Heater Cooker | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Wood-Burning-Stove-Patio-Garden-Camp-Mini-Fire-Van-Night-Heater-Cooker/151428712896)

People are always asking for glycerol from me , by-product of biodiesel production, burns like hell.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS