PDA

View Full Version : Glorious Lakes

UFO
03-10-2014, 11:36
Just back from a glorious trip to the Lakes. Two nights at Elterwater (our daughter is getting married at High Close - the Youth Hostel - in January so we had a list of things to do). Then up Wrynose Pass - some 'interesting' encounters with other vehicles to Birks Bridge - water for tea from River Duddon. Via Millom where we had one of those serendipitous moments you get when travelling - a local youth theater Commedia Dell Arte street performance, something about banning broccoli in a medieval style! Overnight at Haverigg on the sea wall around Hodbarrow Nature Reserve - this is a great place to stop and the sun and lack of wind made it even greater. Walney Island had good views but too much dumped rubbish - too much for us to pick up and make any difference. From here we went to Conishead Priory and Buddist Temple - not what you expect to find in the Lake District and the last overnight stop at Hincaster on the Lancaster Canal with ambitious plans to open the navigation to Kendal. Judy has her arm in plaster so we decided to avoid the usual hill walking and headed instead for the coast which we have not explored before for some more gentle strolls - definitely recommended.

25305 25306 25307 25304

maingate
03-10-2014, 11:46
The mention of Conishead Priory takes me back. It used to be owned by the Durham Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers. Anyone injured in any of the Durham Pits was sent there for Rest and Recuperation.

My Father was badly injured at Ryhope Colliery and got a fortnight there. It just so happened that there was a day trip for families to have a look around, so I went with my Mother to see him.

I did hear that the place was bought by a Buddhist organisation. Can you still have a look around the place?

Obanboy666
03-10-2014, 12:24
The first photo looks an excellant spot. Is it in the poi's ?

UFO
03-10-2014, 13:49
The first photo looks an excellant spot. Is it in the poi's ? This CR Birks Bridge, good spot for walking from.

UFO
03-10-2014, 13:56
The mention of Conishead Priory takes me back. It used to be owned by the Durham Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers. Anyone injured in any of the Durham Pits was sent there for Rest and Recuperation. There are some interpretation boards with the history and I read that over 2,000 miners a year spent time there.

I did hear that the place was bought by a Buddhist organisation. Can you still have a look around the place? The grounds are completely open, we did a couple of walks. The Priory itself is not open apart from some of the ground floor with cafe and shop. They do guided tours March to October on Saturdays and Sundays and Bank Holidays, not sure what this includes. They have over 100 people living there so a lot of the building will be their accommodation. See Home Page - Manjushri KMC - Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre (http://www.manjushri.org) The temple is open - we did a short mediation taster session there.

Wooie1958
03-10-2014, 13:56
The mention of Conishead Priory takes me back. It used to be owned by the Durham Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers. Anyone injured in any of the Durham Pits was sent there for Rest and Recuperation.

My Father was badly injured at Ryhope Colliery and got a fortnight there. It just so happened that there was a day trip for families to have a look around, so I went with my Mother to see him.

I did hear that the place was bought by a Buddhist organisation. Can you still have a look around the place?

Yes you can, details here Opening times (http://nkt-kmc-manjushri.org/opening-times)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS