PDA

View Full Version : What makes this forum so different?

Harmergeddon
06-10-2014, 12:19
I frequent a number of different forums for the many different activities I participate in. Most of which I use purely as a resource for info. Some I moderate and others I regularly contribute. This one is somewhat unique. I think its a great resource but it has by far the most banned members, locked topics and major rumbles/arguments than any of the others I use. I am not complaining, actually I enjoy reading some of them but for what is actually quite a benign pastime (wild camping) it does seem a little bit odd.
Perhaps that in itself is the answer. The subject itself does not promote heated debate so the members turn on themselves?
Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be? Or does anyone know of other forums that are more argumentative than this one. Or does anyone not think this is the case? Or are the users of the forum from such a wide cross section of society that heated debate is inevitable.

Deleted user 21925
06-10-2014, 12:24
I think that on a forum with this many members and an 'Off Topic' section, there are bound to be arguments at times. I don't think that this forum has any more than some others I am on.

Other forums can also be over moderated. I had a comment removed recently from another forum, purely because I disagreed with a moderator, I wasn't rude and it wasn't at all controversial, just disagreed.

I think the level of moderation is about right on here.

Byronic
06-10-2014, 13:09
I've just had a quick look round alternative Motorcaravanners site forums. Some of the discordant threads on OAL seem to make anything found on this site comparable to a vicars tea party, the impartial members appear to blame it on insufficient moderation (or none at all).

Firefox
06-10-2014, 13:09
I'd agree with Robmac.

You will get disruptions on any forum with quite a bit of traffic. It goes with the territory. You get the frequency of posting and a wide range of opinions, but there will always be a few trolls. You can probably expect one troll or awkward customer every two or three hundred active members.

Try going on one of the big motorhome pay forums and disagree with a moderator. You may have your comment removed or you could be warned/banned. It's honestly much better here. More easy going... like Out and About Live forums which is also lightly moderated.

seamus
06-10-2014, 13:23
What makes it so different for me is I'm barred off the fekin rest of them:lol-049:
Mostly because of cowards who could not handle the truth and bad mods. I like this site very much and hope my views on the royles/tories/labour tories and warmongering governments don't kill me off eventually, I try to be calm but I'll tell ye, some times you'se eejits p*ss me off big time:lol-049::lol-049:
seamus.
it was nice knowing you all (just in case)

Harmergeddon
06-10-2014, 13:35

I too have no issues with the moderation. Admittedly I haven't been on any other motorhome forums so haven't experienced those. The others I visit are more sport based and as such have a fairly targeted cross section of people. They all have off topic sections but generally they are not used much and certainly don't ever head towards political debarcal. Several indeed are un moderated so Seamus perhaps you need to take up some action sports so you can mouth off to your hearts content without fear of being

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/two_much_wind/zippy-patch_zpse8382d8d.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/two_much_wind/media/zippy-patch_zpse8382d8d.jpg.html)

Admin
06-10-2014, 13:50
I think its a great resource but it has by far the most banned members, locked topics and major rumbles/arguments than any of the others I use.

I find this interesting, I lock threads rarely and only normally if they break the rules. I do lock threads that I post sometimes if they are notices. The website automatically locks threads in some forums that are over 6 months old.

They actual amount of banned members on this forum is very low. In fact we have had more than 45,500 members on this forum over 11 years and currently there are 51 banned members. The amount of banned accounts is higher, this is caused when banned members rejoin to evade their ban. One member has signed up over 70 times now.

Wooie1958
06-10-2014, 13:56
I think that on a forum with this many members and an 'Off Topic' section, there are bound to be arguments at times. I don't think that this forum has any more than some others I am on.

Other forums can also be over moderated. I had a comment removed recently from another forum, purely because I disagreed with a moderator, I wasn't rude and it wasn't at all controversial, just disagreed.

Same thing happened to me Rob on another forum, the one with the monthly mag and linked to the shows, you know the one.

Anyway, i disagreed with one of their so called Technical Advisors / Magazine Article Authors and that`s when it started.

Every bloody post i put on got trashed with the usual half dozen or so a*se-lickers that you get on forums .

Then i started to get the nasty PM`s and the final straw was when they got my Email address as well.

I complained to Admin and they didn`t even bother to answer me so i left.

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 14:02
I find this interesting, I lock threads rarely and only normally if they break the rules. I do lock threads that I post sometimes if they are notices. The website automatically locks threads in some forums that are over 6 months old.

They actual amount of banned members on this forum is very low. In fact we have had more than 45,500 members on this forum over 11 years and currently there are 51 banned members. The amount of banned accounts is higher, this is caused when banned members rejoin to evade their ban. One member has signed up over 70 times now.

I'm on a Proboards Model Engineering forum and they have a IP address checker to help with that problem. Trouble is, you can now use a proxy IP to get round it!
John

maingate
06-10-2014, 14:11
I frequent a number of different forums for the many different activities I participate in. Most of which I use purely as a resource for info. Some I moderate and others I regularly contribute. This one is somewhat unique. I think its a great resource but it has by far the most banned members, locked topics and major rumbles/arguments than any of the others I use. I am not complaining, actually I enjoy reading some of them but for what is actually quite a benign pastime (wild camping) it does seem a little bit odd.
Perhaps that in itself is the answer. The subject itself does not promote heated debate so the members turn on themselves?
Has anyone got any ideas as to why this might be? Or does anyone know of other forums that are more argumentative than this one. Or does anyone not think this is the case? Or are the users of the forum from such a wide cross section of society that heated debate is inevitable.

Look within yourself Grasshopper.

You tore into me a while back. Now ask yourself why. :p

Aquaticaquarian
06-10-2014, 14:14
Look within yourself Grasshopper.

You tore into me a while back. Now ask yourself why. :p

Teapot and kettle springs to mind......

maingate
06-10-2014, 14:16
I've just had a quick look round alternative Motorcaravanners site forums. Some of the discordant threads on OAL seem to make anything found on this site comparable to a vicars tea party, the impartial members appear to blame it on insufficient moderation (or none at all).

OAL is quite lively at the moment. look for a member currently being hounded because of his obnoxious behaviour. On OAL he is Had Enough, he was booted off Facts when he was Hobbyfan (remember him Seamus ;)) and he was booted off here when he was Northerner. There is no real moderation on OAL which is why he is still there.

ps, some of the members giving him a real hard time are complete Fruitcakes. :lol-049:

seamus
06-10-2014, 14:23
I'm on a Proboards Model Engineering forum and they have a IP address checker to help with that problem. Trouble is, you can now use a proxy IP to get round it!
John

A proxy IP? A proxy IP? What is this you speak of? Does it work, I hope it does, indeed and indeed I do.

Motorhomefacts/Out and about live/Motorhome fun/ Motorhome nutters, yes you barry, thought ye got shut of me didn't ye hahahahahaha. well I'm coming back, thanks to proxy IP, so batten down the hatches, you're for the locked ward! hahahahaha.

Just kidding barry, I know you miss me but when yer gone, yer gone mate, but I have to tell ya, at least fun gave me my subscription back:lol-049: just sayin like.
seamus.

Harmergeddon
06-10-2014, 14:36

It could well be the % then and the other forums I use perhaps don't have quite the same numbers involved. Lol I like the sound of the persistent re-offender 70 times.

Byronic
06-10-2014, 14:57
OAL is quite lively at the moment. look for a member currently being hounded because of his obnoxious behaviour. On OAL he is Had Enough, he was booted off Facts when he was Hobbyfan (remember him Seamus ;)) and he was booted off here when he was Northerner. There is no real moderation on OAL which is why he is still there.

ps, some of the members giving him a real hard time are complete Fruitcakes. :lol-049:

Reading the posts on this thread has enlightened me as to what a little hotbed of intrigue this little forum is (and others), and has made me grateful for not to have enough time or inclination to get embroiled in these disputes.
Having said that I could make an exception and peek in on Fruitcakes though if only for a larf......and only if you recommend!!

maingate
06-10-2014, 15:20
Reading the posts on this thread has enlightened me as to what a little hotbed of intrigue this little forum is (and others), and has made me grateful for not to have enough time or inclination to get embroiled in these disputes.
Having said that I could make an exception and peek in on Fruitcakes though if only for a larf......and only if you recommend!!

Sorry Byronic, I think you are far too delicate to handle Fruitcakes. It would give you an attack of the vapours. :(

snowbirds
06-10-2014, 16:03
Well as for me i come on the forum because there are a lot of like minded people who aren't that Wild loopy yes,(and you all know who you are)but like most of us we like a bit of camping the issues that come with it some good tech information from the members,but the main reason i come on the site is i am hooked, like a good laugh,long may it continue.:scared::lol-053::bow::bow:

Snowbirds.

Byronic
06-10-2014, 16:08
Sorry Byronic, I think you are far too delicate to handle Fruitcakes. It would give you an attack of the vapours. :(

Vapours eh! Not a euphemism for, and dare I mention it Gassing Attack:scared: Yeah you're right I'm far too delicate to risk getting engulfed by that explosive subject, a concern that appears always to get blown up out of all proportion to its importance, or it could be that I'm just disinterested, enough at least to avoid getting drawn in!!

antiquesam
06-10-2014, 16:17
Could it be that wildcamping is an anarchic past time with two fingers to authority and it attracts firm minded people?

Byronic
06-10-2014, 17:08
Could it be that wildcamping is an anarchic past time with two fingers to authority and it attracts firm minded people?

Definitely comparable to standing in front of a tank on Tiananmen square I would say!!

Firefox
06-10-2014, 17:33
I too have no issues with the moderation. Admittedly I haven't been on any other motorhome forums so haven't experienced those. The others I visit are more sport based and as such have a fairly targeted cross section of people. They all have off topic sections but generally they are not used much and certainly don't ever head towards political debarcal. Several indeed are un moderated so Seamus perhaps you need to take up some action sports so you can mouth off to your hearts content without fear of being

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/two_much_wind/zippy-patch_zpse8382d8d.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/two_much_wind/media/zippy-patch_zpse8382d8d.jpg.html)

The thing with motorhome forums unlike sport forums is you attract a lot of the older generation, like it or not, that's the typical/average age profile, 50s, 60's, and 70s. (Yes I know there are some people here younger than that, and before you all tell me so, I said typical/average)

Thus you have the grumpy old men/women syndrome. People with a lot of time on their hands, who have seen and done it all, and are going to make doubly sure others know of their experiences. Plus a lot of people here drink quite a bit of alcohol, and some are not too good at controlling their emotions when they have had a few drinks.

So in contrast to the sports forums, I reckon motorhome forums are fertile breeding ground for a bit of heated off-topic debate.

antiquesam
06-10-2014, 17:33
I should have added " and mad people".

st3v3
06-10-2014, 18:19

Mastodon
06-10-2014, 18:29
We have a mongoose.
And a Rockape.
Sheep fear ( some of) us.
And very few of us have our heads up our bottoms...

Martin P
06-10-2014, 19:04
Don't forget poems we got poems here too
Here is one about me

I build motor boats with engines
And rowing boats with rowlocks
I write poetry to put on here
And mostly it's just bowlocks

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 19:14
don't forget poems we got poems here too
here is one about me

i build motor boats with engines
and rowing boats with rowlocks
i write poetry to put on here
and mostly it's just bowlocks

agreed.....just putting my oar in!

n brown
06-10-2014, 19:14

StevenJ
06-10-2014, 19:40
Wo betide you Mr Brown , how dare you lose your apostrophes ( damn did I spell it right ) :)

I tend to read more than post , I have learned to avoid heated debates , I really don't wish to replace my laptop or TV :)

The stronger minded posters amuse me , venting online what they can't / daren't get away with whilst speaking to her indoors .

All in all good fun

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 19:57
Wo betide you Mr Brown , how dare you lose your apostrophes ( damn did I spell it right ) :)

I tend to read more than post , I have learned to avoid heated debates , I really don't wish to replace my laptop or TV :)

The stronger minded posters amuse me , venting online what they can't / daren't get away with whilst speaking to her indoors .

All in all good fun

You could have slipped in a comma after 'damn'....:wave::D
John
Come back Wint, all is forgiven...

n brown
06-10-2014, 20:06
You could have slipped in a comma after 'damn'....:wave::D
John
Come back Wint, all is forgiven... i agree about the comma .but i didnt' dare say anyfing without very thickation . [ oops,smellings going downill two !]

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 20:13
i agree about the comma .but i didnt' dare say anyfing without very thickation . [ oops,smellings going downill two !]

He missed out the question mark too but mentioning it would have been pushing things a bit...!

StevenJ
06-10-2014, 20:49
The question mark in question was left out deliberately , just to annoy or niggle someone who may have spotted it was missing , and therefore pass comment on said missing question mark as to why it was missing , any more questions about said missing question mark ??

:D:D

n brown
06-10-2014, 20:56
unquestionably !

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 21:08
unquestionably !

To be a bit posh, that was unequivocal!
John

StevenJ
06-10-2014, 21:14
Google is my friend I now know what unequivocal means

Never too old to learn

Siimplyloco
06-10-2014, 21:15
Google is my friend I now know what unequivocal means

Never too old to learn

Lovely!
John

Harmergeddon
07-10-2014, 06:55
Thus you have the grumpy old men/women syndrome. People with a lot of time on their hands, who have seen and done it all, and are going to make doubly sure others know of their experiences. Plus a lot of people here drink quite a bit of alcohol, and some are not too good at controlling their emotions when they have had a few drinks.

Ahh so most of you are all old grumpy, know it all alcoholics! With an eye for pronunciation. That explains a lot, now I understand. I'm just a grumpy know most of it alcoholic. :wave:

n brown
07-10-2014, 07:42
i'm a pronounced alcoholic- pronounced al-co- hol-lick

Siimplyloco
07-10-2014, 08:02
i'm a pronounced alcoholic- pronounced al-co- hol-lick

Dean Martin once said: "I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day!"
Also stolen by Billy Connolly..

Janet and John go to Spain at 10.00 - again!
John

n brown
07-10-2014, 08:37
Janet and John go to Spain at 10.00 - again!
John[/QUOTE]
have a great time !

groyne
07-10-2014, 09:54
as to why it was missing , any more questions

Why did you put a space between missing and the Comma?

n brown
07-10-2014, 10:15
since when did ''comma'' start with a capital letter ? this whole site's going downhill !

groyne
07-10-2014, 10:41
probably about the time sentences stopped. :lol-049:

Tezza33
07-10-2014, 11:01
It is about time some of the members received a sentence:dog:

Admin
07-10-2014, 11:19
It's funny that this thread actually shows why this forum is different.

maingate
07-10-2014, 11:33
since when did ''comma'' start with a capital letter ? this whole site's going downhill !

Surely the word 'capital' should start with a capital C?

Bopper
07-10-2014, 12:38
Jimmy Jones ... Handy man. The comma song.

Jimmy Jones "Handyman" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpbNvDg6zY)

mariesnowgoose
07-10-2014, 13:49
You're all being very Win-some :D

Wooie1958
07-10-2014, 14:39

When it`s Oil Home Page : Comma Oil & Chemicals Ltd. (http://www.commaoil.com/) :lol-049:

Dezi
07-10-2014, 15:06

Commenting from the safety of sunny France, the above reply from Mainwaring is the reason this site has so many arguments.

Too many nit picking lippy folk from oop norf.

Just saying.

Dezi :pc: Me on Gallic keyboard.

maingate
07-10-2014, 15:08
Commenting from the safety of sunny France, the above reply from Mainwaring is the reason this site has so many arguments.

Just saying.

Folk talk big when they are oor the watter. :mad2:

n brown
07-10-2014, 15:20
Folk talk big when they are oor the watter. :mad2:that's the sort of remark to hit the nail on the head,or cap it all ,as we say .

trevskoda
07-10-2014, 20:03

no its cabin feaver ha ha.

trevskoda
07-10-2014, 20:11

trevskoda
07-10-2014, 20:17

theres me thinking it started with L london.

rockape
07-10-2014, 20:21
What makes it so different for me is I'm barred off the fekin rest of them:lol-049:
Mostly because of cowards who could not handle the truth and bad mods. I like this site very much and hope my views on the royles/tories/labour tories and warmongering governments don't kill me off eventually, I try to be calm but I'll tell ye, some times you'se eejits p*ss me off big time:lol-049::lol-049:
seamus.
it was nice knowing you all (just in case) Have you ever thought to apply for a job on the Samaritans help desk to cover for the Xmas /New Year period?

Martin P
07-10-2014, 20:33
Have you ever thought to apply for a job on the Samaritans help desk to cover for the Xmas /New Year period?

Hello is that the Samaritans

Yes Seamus here what the feck do you want

I'm depressed

I'm not surprised you feckin eejit , go an top yer self an do us all a feckin favour, now pi&& off vinegar tits

RoadTrek Boy
07-10-2014, 20:41

Just saying.

If your'e on a Gallic keyboard, how come it's in English!....:rolleyes2:

Just asking.

Colin

tribute11
07-10-2014, 22:43
Have you ever thought to apply for a job on the Samaritans help desk to cover for the Xmas /New Year period?

Samaritans didn't want him either. That is why there is now a thread titled " Seamus -agony aunt"

GWAYGWAY
08-10-2014, 08:27
What a load of anarchists, that's why we wildcamp and not line up in numbers for inspection at Sites, do nor like being forced to,, or regimentation. Free spirits and mostly grumpy old gits.

Mul
08-10-2014, 17:21
Having to blinkin log in to avoid the annoying americanism ... 'hey there ...' have i said it before, annoying message.

This is the only forum i have to login to, to merely browse, erm ... annoying !

Tezza33
08-10-2014, 20:45
Having to blinkin log in to avoid the annoying americanism ... 'hey there ...' have i said it before, annoying message.

This is the only forum i have to login to, to merely browse, erm ... annoying !Why does it annoy you to login in?, if you are logged in then new posts are obvious and you are not trawling though posts you have read before, if you click on 'remember me' there is no need to log in it will be automatic because your browser will remember the login in details

Mul
09-10-2014, 17:33
Why does it annoy you to login in?, if you are logged in then new posts are obvious and you are not trawling though posts you have read before, if you click on 'remember me' there is no need to log in it will be automatic because your browser will remember the login in details

The op's question is what makes this forum so different.

Logging in (remembered passwords, or whatever) to do what other forums I follow without logging in and yet get more functionality from is erm, by definition different ! Hence, because I get to do less here for the same (albeit little) effort is irritating, it's the cosy Americanism I find annoying.

For those who for whatever reason, of perceived threat, who don't like websites remembering passwords via cookies etc (i.e. bloatware) or who have careful and cautious password cookie management, those who, say at work, aren't allowed to "login" to social media & forums get the "hey there...", instead of being allowed to view. Re-phrasing what I've already stated, simply I get more functionality for less effort elsewhere ... hence "different", that's all.

Nowt wrong the forum and if that's the way it is so be it, it still fits into the "different" definition though as an example answering the original question :-)

Chrz Mul.

campervanannie
09-10-2014, 17:48
Simple answer to a simple question its the people, some of the nicest, friendliest and helpful people are on this forum.
And the handsome and modest Mr B.

n brown
09-10-2014, 17:55
you left out handsomest and modestest

yorkslass
09-10-2014, 18:15

not forgetting self deprecating:lol-049:

campervanannie
09-10-2014, 18:21

Post edited just for you you handsome devil. XX

n brown
09-10-2014, 18:22
not forgetting self deprecating:lol-049: i gave up self deprecating when my eyesight started to fail

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS