PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Internet in Greece

rottiontour
16-10-2014, 13:06
There are two main providers for mobile internet in Greece, Cosmote and Vodaphone.
I only have experiences with Cosmote, the “mobile part” of greek OTE telephone company. I am using Cosmote mobile internet since several years and coverage and service are great. Even in abroad regions I had a good 3G or HSDPA signal, the infrastructure is very good.

How to get internet:
The prepaid internet sim card for a cell phone is sold at a “Germanos” shop ….. I like that name….a Cosmote shop is in nearly all villages.
Several times I needed a Germanos shop cause I was too stupid to operate the system and always!! I got help in English and my problems were solved.

I bought a prepaid internet sim card, the sim card itself costs 10 Euros. To “load” the first 500 MB to the card costs another 10 Euros (5 Euros for internet 500 MB, 2 Euros for taxes and 3 Euros rest….i can do telephone calls with it (very expensive, i do not recommend this) or leave the rest of 3 Euros on the account and use it for the next 500 MB/5 Euros.
The people at the shop were always very friendly and they arranged the set up of the mobile phone to get access to Cosmote net (APN etc). I asked them to change the Cosmote announces from Greek to English….no problem.
So for about 20 Euros I had the first 500 MB internet rate.
I used the mobile with tethering function to have access to internet with laptop.

How to get the next 500 MB:
Once the 500 MB are spent ….i usually need 1 week for it….you get several SMS, but only one of those is very important. It´s from Cosmote and starts with the word "APONEMON". This indicates that you should switch off your data rate and stop internet traffic immediately, cause your rate will be changed soon into a very expensive MB-rate, no 500 mb rate any longer. And all your money you loaded on the account will be sucked away ....and your 3 Euros, which are still on the account....grrh.
And when you have no money left the internet connection will not work anymore although a good signal is available, and Greek whatsapp messages are arriving….whatever they mean.
So I deactivate the internet buy a ”Cosmote Karta” at the next “Periptero”, a small shop, little blue or green huts on the roads, which are open all the time and you can get there cigarettes, chips, batteries, drinks and “Cosmote Karta”. I usually buy a Cosmote Karta for 10 Euros with a 16 digit reload code on it.
Then I dial the telephone number 1314 and wait till someone is speaking…..
I dial 3 and wait till another person is speaking…..
And I dial in the 16 digit code.
And after some seconds a message arrives that 8,xy Euros are loaded to my account (10 minus tax).
And then THE BIG TRICK:
Immediately i send an SMS to the number 1330. The text must be....500.... to load 500 MB for 5 Euros on my account.
Pay attention!! Whenever your account is empty the company automatically changes your internet rate into a rate, in which 1 MB costs 1 Euro!!!! An automatic fall back method :scared: :mad2:.
So you have to get back your old 500 MB prepaid rate by sending a SMS to 1330 with text ...500.... immediately.
Then switch on internet again....that´s it.

That´s the reason, why I never buy a 20 Euro card…..after 500 MB the rate is finished and will be changed automatically into the expensive rate your money will be sucked away by the expensive rate.

So the checklist for reloading…..

-Periptero….get a 10 Euros Cosmote Karta
-SMS "APONEMON" from Cosmote....switch off internet,
-Dial: 1314….3…..code (to reload money to card),
-Wait 1 or 2 minutes for confirmation SMS by Cosmote that the account is loaded again,
-SMS to 1330...text...500 ( to get back cheap 500 MB rate for 5 Euros)
-Wait 1 or 2 minutes for SMS from Cosmote that 500 mb are activated again,
-Switch on internet again and join the world.

It looks a little bit complicated but once you have done it, you will see how easy it is to have good internet in Greece without being dependent on slow, overloaded blxxdy wifi nets. And because i do not understand the greek SMS , i follow the procedure and the keyword "APONEMON" stupidly.

:cheers:
Bernd

rottiontour
20-03-2015, 17:32
There are two main providers for mobile internet in Greece, Cosmote and Vodaphone.
I only have experiences with Cosmote, the “mobile part” of greek OTE telephone company. I am using Cosmote mobile internet since several years and coverage and service are great. Even in abroad regions I had a good 3G or HSDPA signal, the infrastructure is very good.

How to get internet:
The prepaid internet sim card for a cell phone is sold at a “Germanos” shop ….. I like that name….a Cosmote shop is in nearly all villages.
Several times I needed a Germanos shop cause I was too stupid to operate the system and always!! I got help in English and my problems were solved.

I bought a prepaid internet sim card, the sim card itself costs 10 Euros. To “load” the first 500 MB to the card costs another 10 Euros (5 Euros for internet 500 MB, 2 Euros for taxes and 3 Euros rest….i can do telephone calls with it (very expensive, i do not recommend this) or leave the rest of 3 Euros on the account and use it for the next 500 MB/5 Euros.
The people at the shop were always very friendly and they arranged the set up of the mobile phone to get access to Cosmote net (APN etc). I asked them to change the Cosmote announces from Greek to English….no problem.
So for about 20 Euros I had the first 500 MB internet rate.
I used the mobile with tethering function to have access to internet with laptop.

How to get the next 500 MB:
Once the 500 MB are spent ….i usually need 1 week for it….you get several SMS, but only one of those is very important. It´s from Cosmote and starts with the word "APONEMON". This indicates that you should switch off your data rate and stop internet traffic immediately, cause your rate will be changed soon into a very expensive MB-rate, no 500 mb rate any longer. And all your money you loaded on the account will be sucked away ....and your 3 Euros, which are still on the account....grrh.
And when you have no money left the internet connection will not work anymore although a good signal is available, and Greek whatsapp messages are arriving….whatever they mean.
So I deactivate the internet buy a ”Cosmote Karta” at the next “Periptero”, a small shop, little blue or green huts on the roads, which are open all the time and you can get there cigarettes, chips, batteries, drinks and “Cosmote Karta”. I usually buy a Cosmote Karta for 10 Euros with a 16 digit reload code on it.
Then I dial the telephone number 1314 and wait till someone is speaking…..
I dial 3 and wait till another person is speaking…..
And I dial in the 16 digit code.
And after some seconds a message arrives that 8,xy Euros are loaded to my account (10 minus tax).
And then THE BIG TRICK:
Immediately i send an SMS to the number 1330. The text must be....500.... to load 500 MB for 5 Euros on my account.
Pay attention!! Whenever your account is empty the company automatically changes your internet rate into a rate, in which 1 MB costs 1 Euro!!!! An automatic fall back method :scared: :mad2:.
So you have to get back your old 500 MB prepaid rate by sending a SMS to 1330 with text ...500 immediately.
Then switch on internet again....that´s it.

That´s the reason, why I never buy a 20 Euro card…..after 500 MB the rate is finished and will be changed automatically into the expensive rate your money will be sucked away by the expensive rate.

So the checklist for reloading…..

-Periptero….get a 10 Euros Cosmote Karta
-SMS "APONEMON" from Cosmote....switch off internet,
-Dial: 1314….3…..code (to reload money to card),
-Wait 1 or 2 minutes for confirmation SMS by Cosmote that the account is loaded again,
-SMS to 1330...text...500 ( to get back cheap 500 MB rate for 5 Euros)
-Wait 1 or 2 minutes for SMS from Cosmote that 500 mb are activated again,
-Switch on internet again and join the world.

It looks a little bit complicated but once you have done it, you will see how easy it is to have good internet in Greece without being dependent on slow, overloaded blxxdy wifi nets. And because i do not understand the greek SMS , i follow the procedure and the keyword "APONEMON" stupidly.

:cheers:
Bernd

Short update and procedure change....(text of foriginal msg is corrected)

the number 1330 must be used for activation of the cheep 500 mb internet rate.
Via telephone not possible any longer only via SMS.

2 SMS codes available:

500......to activate cheep internet rate.
info.....to receive a SMS back with indication of available (remaining) mb.

Be

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS