PDA

View Full Version : Lochawe

Pioneer
07-08-2008, 11:27
Recently stopped at Lochawe on the A85 Tyndrum to Oban road opposite The Tight Line Hotel. The family that run the Hotel are very friendly and offered a stopover in the carpark, but this is very close to the main road. They then told me to go down the small track opposite the Hotel, signed for the local railway. After about 200mtrs down the track is a large carpark for the railway (one train every couple of hours during the day). Was told that Motorhomes had used this for a while for stopovers, and also enjoyed a pint or wee dram and the food in the Hotel was very nice and reasonable. Cannot be seen from the road, and no problems.

Happy Camping.:)

vanmandan
08-05-2009, 16:07
Great little spot .....
thanks for posting. Stayed there last week,
very handy for the pub & a great wee general
store next door which has internet access.

nigel54
08-05-2009, 16:16
Sounds like a good spot Pioneer Bil, I have noted it. Enjoy your travels & stay safe. Nigel & Judy.

Pioneer
08-05-2009, 18:12
Great little spot .....
thanks for posting. Stayed there last week,
very handy for the pub & a great wee general
store next door which has internet access.

I try to post all my wilding stopovers for others to pick up on.
The Tight Line Hotel is setup for wifi I think, worth asking next time, glad you enjoyed your stay, I will be using this again this year on way to Outer Hebrides from Oban, and a good night will be had by all!

Happy Camping:)

johnnyrotten
08-05-2009, 19:54
I try to post all my wilding stopovers for others to pick up on.
The Tight Line Hotel is setup for wifi I think, worth asking next time, glad you enjoyed your stay, I will be using this again this year on way to Outer Hebrides from Oban, and a good night will be had by all!

I fancy Tyndrum myself Stayed there a few year back be nice to see it again

Pioneer
10-05-2009, 13:33
I fancy Tyndrum myself Stayed there a few year back be nice to see it again

Hi johnnyrotten,
yes Tyndrum is a great spot for walking (West Highland Way) it passess right in front of my brothers wee hoose, so I stay in Tyndrum quite a lot, but in a proper bed! This part of Scotland is great for wilding, will be back up to Tyndrum early August.

Henrym
01-06-2012, 22:22
Has the parking near The Tight Line Hotel been deleted or not specified sufficiently accurately to include in the database? Is the parking at Dalmally station, or nearby? The road through the village should be quiet. Or Monument Hill, 56.3894 -5.0090, signed from Dalmally village? Glen Orchy with 4 wild spots is usually a bit off route for me (but quiet, I'm sure)

Regardless, an alternative is the forestry Ben Lui car park at 56.4104 -4.8561, between Tyndrum and Dalmally, away from the road and railway. And in the morning you are set up for the walk up Ben Lui:eek:
Sat signal over bealach between Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chlaibh. No 3 broadband network.

Canalsman
02-06-2012, 00:34
Has the parking near The Tight Line Hotel been deleted or not specified sufficiently accurately to include in the database? Is the parking at Dalmally station, or nearby? The road through the village should be quiet. Or Monument Hill, 56.3894 -5.0090, signed from Dalmally village? Glen Orchy with 4 wild spots is usually a bit off route for me (but quiet, I'm sure)

Regardless, an alternative is the forestry Ben Lui car park at 56.4104 -4.8561, between Tyndrum and Dalmally, away from the road and railway. And in the morning you are set up for the walk up Ben Lui:eek:
Sat signal over bealach between Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chlaibh. No 3 broadband network.

The spot near the Tight Line Hotel has been in the database for a long time - OU Lochawe (Argyll & Bute) 56.40163, -5.04300 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/y2ntwdr)

I have added Monument Hill - space for just the one 'van up there I think looking at Streetview.

The Ben Lui car park is already in the POIs.

Regards

Chris

Henrym
02-06-2012, 07:49
Tight Line web search showed Dalmally rather than Lochawe; got it now. Looks a good place.

There was no marker for Ben Lui CP - I guess it's recent.

More to come on Islay and W Isles.....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS