PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Lewis

Garcia
13-11-2014, 14:30
Hi
Anyone ever taken a van across to Stornoway on Lewis from Ullapool?

Anyone ever wild camped on Lewis?

lOOKS LIKE i GOTTA GO THERE NEXT YEAR SO ANY ADVICE / TIPS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED......

Garcia

Alf
13-11-2014, 15:07
We preference the shorter crossing from Uig on Skye loads of places to park and muck to see

Alf

Hi

lOOKS LIKE i GOTTA GO THERE NEXT YEAR SO ANY ADVICE / TIPS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED......

Garcia

dippingatoe
13-11-2014, 15:17
Yes - went over this spring

Went over Skye bridge then to Tarbert, drove to very top of Lewis then all down most of Outer Hebrides and back to Oban. There were quite a few motorhomes wild camping and there are also some community sites (though I didn't use them)

Had major computer virus whilst in Stornaway from which I still cannot get things sorted so blog still out of date :-(

Borderland
13-11-2014, 15:50
I haven't wild camped On Lewis but fantastic beaches especially Luskentyre.

Vanterrier
02-02-2015, 21:41
Hi

Garcia
You definitely have to go... Its fantastic. Yes do the Ullapool to Stornoway crossing as that allows you to see more of proper Scottish Highlands before you cross and come back via Harris-Tarbet to Skye-Uig.

Theres plenty of wild camping and a few small sites to visit over there. Take the B8011 on the West coast and head south to the road end. The sat nav road ends at a gate but the road continues a couple of miles beyond that at an old slipway and turning point with plenty of room to park. On the way back stop at a site at Cnip ( pron kneep) and park in the dunes on a site run by the local grazing trust... Wild without being wild.

On your return take the A859 to Tarbet but turn off onto the B887 and go to the road end where you can wild camp in a carpark with a toilet too.luxury ;) it is my favourite place in Harris.

Hope that helps.. Enjoy

K ;)

winks
02-02-2015, 22:09
Vanterrier has it spot on when mentioning cniop.

We've stayed there and it was fantastic. On a bank holiday I was on the beach at four p.m. And nobody else was about. Really sunny day as well. If you're going next year do yourself a favour and save up for a trip to St Kilda from Leverburgh. It'll cost a fortune but it is a truly inspiring experience. The Outer Hebrides are not to be missed. And don't try to rush it. It'll still be there long after you and I have checked out.

Got to go there again now.

H. :baby:

runnach
02-02-2015, 22:20
We did he HOP8 from Oban to Barra, absolutely perfect sailing conditions for 4 hour journey, up the Sound of Mull, Inner Hebrides, on to open ocean to Barra. We did bottom to top, brilliant experience. Did it this way as not sure if Hebs could be factored in, in the future. Two week tour,then Lewis to Ullapool. The islands on the edge, are a must see!!

Watoh
03-02-2015, 09:11
The islands are amazing. Been up there many many times. Only with van once, stayed here for a night. 57.707177, -7.215128 On Berneray.

But there lots of great spots. Well worth the drive up there.

Ivory55
03-02-2015, 10:09
How much are the ferries ? When ever we have looked it seemed a lot of money, our van is 7m . May be cheaper with a Swb panel van. Sounds lovely though.

tribute11
03-02-2015, 10:20
We took a Calmac hopper ticket Ullapool to Stornoway, then went right through Lewis and Harris before crossing over to North Uist and covering North and South Uist. We then went over to Barra, covering Barra and Vattersay, before taking the ferry back to the mainland to Oban. The only firm bookings we made were the Ullapool to Stornoway and the Barra to Oban as we were not sure how long we wanted in each place.

We wilded most of the time. Lots of people were doing it and there are loads of places to do so, all with stunning views. The people are very motorhome friendly in the northern islands but wildcamping in Barra is not encouraged.

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and we will go back.

If you want more details of our trip please PM with any questions.
Regards
Jean and Robert

Mullsy
03-02-2015, 10:25
How much are the ferries ? When ever we have looked it seemed a lot of money, our van is 7m . May be cheaper with a Swb panel van. Sounds lovely though.

Think RET kicks in in Oct so prices should come down

tribute11
03-02-2015, 10:25

Look on the Calmac site. There are good offers on Hopper tickets. See the above post re our trip. For a 6.95m van and two adults we were 310

I thought this very good value, as it involves four ferries. There are lots of different options, depending on where you want to go.

Ivory55
03-02-2015, 11:31
Cheers for that. I guess we compare the channel prices and that is volume where as up there a lot smaller scale.

runnach
03-02-2015, 11:55
We preferred doing the hop eight as we wanted to cover bottom, incl Vatersay, to top. Easy done in two weeks and, the big bonus was, perfect weather. The sail up or down the Sound of Mull, was fantastic, as was passing the Inner Isles, Eigg etc.

This was summer 2013 and for a 5.7 MH 240.

eyetracking
22-02-2015, 17:21
Armed with the POI's from here, and a few notes from the threads - we did our first proper wild camping trip to Harris & Lewis. Even though we broke down and needed recovering to Stornaway - it's now the benchmark for all holidays. We've fallen in love with the place and keep returning. The beaches are ranked with the best in the world. The water is gin clear. The views and camping spots by the beaches are epic. It's proper food for the soul.

Wild camping is easy - just trust the POI - check which ferry ports have fresh water and toilet disposal.

We do the Skye, Harris/Lewis, Uists - hopper route 14. We usually camp on Skye at the Sligachan inn the night before getting the ferry from Uig.

Locals are really friendly, and we're now recognised by a few, including one of the chaps that works on the ferries. Local produce is good - and there's plenty of Co-op shops for filling in the gaps. The big one to remember is that the islands really do close on Sundays.... you'll go hungry if you don't prepare :-)

Epic places to camp - Berneray, Husinis, North Tolsta - to name just a few. Google Streetview has most places covered.

Weather can be extreme - phone coverage is very poor. We had to hike up to the top of a hill, with three phones and only the vodafone would place a call.

We're back for easter week :-) rolling the weather dice.

It's great for wild life, loads of seals... and just don't crash the motorhome when you see your first eagle soaring by the van :-)

Guy

runnach
22-02-2015, 20:04
I know that beach, vividly recall the long run doon the hill!!

grahamo
02-03-2015, 08:51
We have visited lewis and Harris many times over the last eight years two great wild
Camping spots are tolsta and Garry beach,
The first is almost invisible from the road but we'll worth the descent to the car park ( which has maintained toilets) and Garry beach has some wonderful walks.
Both spots are quiet and only 16 miles from Stornaway, although a post office/local shop with milk, gas and basic supplies is a fifteen minute walk from the beaches, really nice on a one day and you can purchase a tea/coffee and sandwich if you need to.
The post mistress is an author and very welcoming.
Happy camping

BIG G.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS