PDA

View Full Version : Is southern ireland a good place to fulltime in a small motorhome ?

dozzydop
17-11-2014, 21:12
Hi all,
never left the uk all my life, but am so fed up of having my income stripped to the bone.

i live in a very small terrace house and currently have lost my income completely, so to avoid the disgusting council tax i will have to sell up, and by the time all is done i will have just enough for a very small motorhome or 2berth caravan+car, and enough savings to live in said motorhome/caravan for about 18 months, enough time to collect my thoughts and see what turns up,

but either way i have no intention of going back to the money obsessed uk, where the poor are vilified and oppressed beyond belief, and unless you are rich, there is no quality of life at all, the system is determined to grind you down until you are a virtual slave catering to the needs of the wealthy and the millionaire right wing politicians.

ive always fancied relocating to a country with a slightly more laid back approach to life, where the people are, on the whole, not robotic brainwashed serfs who accept every draconian oppressive edict issued by the corrupt ruling elite, as this is what the uk has become.

so my question is this, will i be able to fulltime in a motorhome or car+2 berth caravan in southern island without the constant hassle and multitude of no camping/parking signs as in the uk ?

is southern ireland more friendly towards motorhomers/caravaneers than the horrible uk ?

i would be constantly on the move in ireland, and never stay in one spot for more than a couple of days, and i would be paying to use an official site every weekend ( for electricity/laundry/relaxing etc ), and whilst on my travels in ireland ( researching ireland for a good place to buy or rent a house/flat for good maybe ) i would be spending in local shops ( btw, would i be paying much more for essentials/food etc than i would in the uk ?, are aldi/lidl the same pricewise in southern ireland than in the uk ? )

any advice much appreciated cos im torn between southern ireland or the netherlands, but i think the netherlands is much more unfriendly towards motorhomers/caravaners ?

cheers

MollsPhot
18-11-2014, 09:27
Have you also considered Scotland? In my experience, it was difficult to find places to stay in Ireland but had no problem north of the border, away from the main towns.

Good luck to you.

sak
18-11-2014, 11:00
Not many campsite in the Republic and you might have to register your vehicle there if you stay for more than six months, but loads of beautiful countryside, a few of us went on motorcycles and toured around the south coast then Galway and the Mourne mountains, in Newcastle there is a big forest where it is cheap to stay, Tollymore Forest Park.

jagmanx
18-11-2014, 12:10
You need a UK address
For Insurance
For Tax.
and more....
Scotland is best..many wild camps.. great in the summer !
However where do you stay in the winter ?
In Uk it is cold and too many "dark hours" !
What about electricity .. solar Panel but no good in winter (see above).
Even southern Europe is not warm all the time and again dark hours.
Good luck but consider the winter plan !

antiqueman
18-11-2014, 14:18
I would not even consider it in a caravan and car but thats just me. good luck hope things improve.:cheers:

jann
18-11-2014, 14:31
Ireland is laid back place to live, BUT can be expensive. We were last there in 2011. Diesel was cheaper in the republic than the north, but food and general living expenses were a lot dearer in the republic. If you lived somewhere near to the border you could get the best of both. There are a few official motorhome stopovers.

If I wanted to live somewhere quietly for a while I think northern Scotland would be first choice .

Lee
18-11-2014, 14:32
We went earlier this year, it is very beautiful in the south but it appeared that the cost of things over there was quite expensive. Admittedly we were on holiday but it would be worth finding out how much various food stuff is before you commit as the ferry fares are very expensive.

Lee
18-11-2014, 18:45

Pauljenny
18-11-2014, 19:38
There are loads of Motorhome only aires down here, details easy found on the web and new ones opening. You'll meet like minded cheapskates and get advice.
Forget the car and tugger option.... You'll be campsite dependant... If they are open in the winter.
Better for Solar power and a lower cost of living. If you keep moving, no probs with the length of stay.

Best to organise that UK address before you go.

Avoid the tourist areas as costly, overcrowded and preyed on by Junkie robbers, who need to make a fast buck.

We did, 15 years ago.... and are still here !

Be lucky !

ecobob
18-11-2014, 20:09
ive always fancied relocating to a country with a slightly more laid back approach to life, where the people are, on the whole, not robotic brainwashed serfs who accept every draconian oppressive edict issued by the corrupt ruling elite, as this is what the uk has become.

How about Wales?

trevskoda
18-11-2014, 20:20
have you considered n/ireland which is british <benefits etc> car tax & insurance, house prices down rent good to ,i have a house to rent no smokers or pets ,but you can cross over to donegall no prob and camp just about anywhere and its very nice up there but its wet a lot here but the folk a nice nort and south ,letsbehavingyou .

wineciccio
18-11-2014, 20:35
I would personally consider RENTING THE HOUSE so it will give some income, and as a laid back country NO I would not choose southern Ireland, first they use the euro, very expensive living standards and the same goes for France, It used to be cheap, no longer, I would definitely head down Spain or Portugal, better weather for starters, and very laid back way of life, where in Europe can you have a 3 course meal including mineral water and wine for 9.50 euros??? not in France and definitely not in Ireland. THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION, bear in mind I have been motorhoming since 1974 and not bragging been virtually all over Europe, AND STILL FINDING PLACES TO GO TO.:juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle ::juggle:

antiqueman
18-11-2014, 20:58
I would personally consider RENTING THE HOUSE so it will give some income, and as a laid back country NO I would not choose southern Ireland, first they use the euro, very expensive living standards and the same goes for France, It used to be cheap, no longer, I would definitely head down Spain or Portugal, better weather for starters, and very laid back way of life, where in Europe can you have a 3 course meal including mineral water and wine for 9.50 euros??? not in France and definitely not in Ireland. THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION, bear in mind I have been motorhoming since 1974 and not bragging been virtually all over Europe, AND STILL FINDING PLACES TO GO TO.:juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle ::juggle:

golden eagle near me 2 steaks £ 9.50 its 11 if wednesday onwards :p

Sand55
18-11-2014, 22:08
Antique man, is that true ? When I passed by I thought it was closed.
Will certainly take a look. Thanks 😊

dozzydop
19-11-2014, 02:16
thanks everyone for the informative replys and suggestions,

re scotland, i was considering it, but beware 'the mighty midge', or so ive heard, are they really that much of a pain, especially in summer ?

re france, never considered it at all, but now interested, but cost of food is expensive ?

re portugal/spain, the very hot weather in the summer would drive me mad, and i would maybe have problems walking my dog because of the spanish habit of laying down poision everywhere to kill stray dogs ( and peoples pets ), as they do in all mediterranean countrys, especially in cyprus and greece.

re the issue of living in the motorhome/caravan in winter, i would find it cheaper to heat that than my house ( which is always cold and damp in the winter ! ).

the reason im considering southern island and the netherlands is cos they have the same climate as the uk, which i like, im not a hot weather person and i love walking my dog for miles every day, something i would not be safe doing in countrys that dont like dogs as we do in western europe.

im dissapointed southern ireland is so damn expensive to live in, are the discount supermarkets there ( aldi/lidl ) more expensive than their uk counterparts for basic goods and basic food, ie, milk/bread etc ?

cheers

jagmanx
19-11-2014, 03:09
Further to my earlier post.

suggest you rent your property.

1 Although the income may not be great..
a) you have a UK address for all the items in particular Motorhome (especially insurance)
b) house will appreciate and you do not pay the council tax and other expensess (eg Fuel)
c) you can always get the tenants to leave (2 months) if you need to
d) use a letting agent
e) get mail redirected to a friend/family member
f) you may have to pay TV Licence

WE do this and live in the motorhome in the summer however we are really glad to live in Thailand for 6 months in the winter.
Especially as 1 person (which you seem to be) take care that you sort out the winter.
Maybe sell your house later on but I suggest that simply to sell up now and try the unknown is both risky and potentially very costly.
"out of thee frying pan into the fire!"

A) "Long-terming" in the motorhome is great in the summer
B) as others suggest head south for the winter
We found that even in October in UK short days and in particular dark evenings are a pain.
Even in Southern Spain/Italy/Greece you will have longer nights than days but not as extreme as in UK

Good luck but take care

antiqueman
19-11-2014, 07:16
Antique man, is that true ? When I passed by I thought it was closed.
Will certainly take a look. Thanks 😊

yes it was for a week, refurb sorry open again now:cheers:

barryd
19-11-2014, 07:32
I think more information or discussion about costs is required really. You mention that by the time you sell your house you will have enough left for a small motorhome / caravan and car and enough savings for 18 months on the road. Without prying into your personal finances you need to weigh up just how much life on the road will cost. You may find its as expensive as running your small house. I suppose it depends on how you want to live and your current circumstances. If your mortgage free then renting the house out is definately the way to go. If you sell up, spend all the savings and run out of money in 18 months what then?

We dont full time but part time with the longest single trip being six months. I would say (there are two of us) that we spend between £800 to £1200 a month for a life on the road. This doesnt include van maintenance, road tax and insurance. This is all extra!

Most of our time is spent in Europe where the costs tend to be less so nearer the £800-£1000 a month mark. Long trips in the UK have been around the £1200 mark. I suspect Ireland will be similar if not more expensive than the UK. On your own and living frugly I guess you could reduce that spend but not by much. We dont use campsites, hardly eat out and are not moving on every day. We like a drink and nice food though and Im a sucker for French markets. Our spend on parking / camping and services is next to nothing in Europe. Usually less than £1 a day as we stay on free or low cost Aires, Sostas etc (Motorhome parking).

I dread to think what monthly costs would be if you stayed on sites all the time. In contradiction to the poster earlier we find France good value and have spent most of our time there. Diesel is 20-25% less than the UK and free parking and services are everywhere. Some shopping is more expensive but you soon find out what is as good or better value than the UK.

Solar power is a must between April and November as it will keep you independant of electricity which usually means a campsite or more expensive Aire but in Winter your going to need hookup somewhere or your going to have a miserable existance. Perhaps thats when Spain might be an option.

Lots to weigh up but do consider the costs and be realistic about what you can afford, for how long and the best way of funding your lifestyle long term.

John H
19-11-2014, 07:38
I agree with those who have suggested that it would be a good idea to try to include France/Spain/Portugal and further afield in your plans. All of these countries are much more motorhome friendly than England. The six-month rule has been mentioned but this applies per country and so you can travel around easily without breaking it. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm Good luck whatever you decide to do.

jagmanx
19-11-2014, 07:43
What are the major costs
Fixed = Maintenance/servicing Tax MOT Insurance
Usage 1 = Campsites... try to avoid
Usage 2 = Diesel...try to stay put
Usage 3 = Gas ....consider LPG
Usage 4 = Food...you can eat well very cheaply

John H
19-11-2014, 07:58
I agree with all you say apart from the bit highlighted in red. To turn your own phrase against you, your experience and knowledge of Spain is rather incorrect, I think. ;)

John H
19-11-2014, 08:17
What are the major costs
Fixed = Maintenance/servicing Tax MOT Insurance
Usage 1 = Campsites... try to avoid
Usage 2 = Diesel...try to stay put
Usage 3 = Gas ....consider LPG
Usage 4 = Food...you can eat well very cheaply

The fixed costs (tax, insurance, MOT, service etc) are the same whether you use the van as your main home or not. If you don't have a house and all the associated costs then you will probably find that these fixed costs are less than living in a house and not having a van at all.

Campsites in the UK can be very expensive but in France, the municipal sites can be very good value and most of the aires are free. In the UK, Caravan Club CLs can also be very good value. If you are spending a couple of months on a site in Spain, you could pay less than £8 per night including hook-up.

Diesel - this is a lot cheaper elsewhere in the EU but it may be cheaper to stay put on a site for a period rather than move around and wildcamp.

Gas - if you are long-terming, then consider a gaslow system (or similar). The initial cost is high but ours paid for itself inside 18 months.

Food - considerably cheaper in France, Spain and Portugal - especially if, like us, wine takes up a large part of your shopping trolley! Meat is a similar price in France to the UK; in Spain and Portugal it is generally cheaper. Vegetables (fresh) are virtually given away in these countries. Eating out is very cheap - 3 course menu, including wine, for about £8.

As for total spend, this obviously depends on your tastes, your location and your lifestyle but if it is any guide, we tend to spend between £12k and £15k per year including fixed costs (there are two of us). For reasons outlined above, the spend tends to be lower over winter, when we are in a fixed location on a campsite in Spain than it does when we are largely wilding in the UK!

A point worth bearing in mind is that you need a UK address for all kinds of reasons (as others have explained). We still own our house and it is our only property, which enables us to legally claim UK residence even if we spend more than six months per year outside the UK.

wildman
19-11-2014, 11:40
Think twice before leaving your house there may be no way back. If you have no income, then benefits will pay your community charge etc. People have already mentioned Eire is expencive but nothing mentioned about the Netherlands. For a start wilding in the Netherlands is not only illegal but rigorously enfoced, and there are very few aires. France/Portugal a better option and many fulltimers there you do have a right to work but finding a job is not easy seasonal work on a campsite may be the answer. As mentioned you WILL need a UK address for licence, insurance road fund licence etc. Also be aware if out of the country over a certain length of time you lose the right to the national health service. Running on a shoestring can be easier in the UK even if more expencive. Sorting your life out depends on your ambitions and ability to start afresh. Anyone can sit back and exist on benefits but there is no fun in that. You need a plan and not an escape route. It is so easy to get it wrong and with limited cash you only get one chance.

dozzydop
19-11-2014, 18:38
lots of helpfull suggestions again, thanks all, much appreciated.

france is starting to look more attractive, and the suggestion about popping into spain in the winter is a good one, thats something i never even considered.
would i have to learn the lingo just to go shopping etc ?, or is english widely spoken in france/spain ( i presume not ? ).

plus, i think i would have real difficulty taking my dog on long walks, she loves sniffing the ground, and just one sniff of poision lying on the floor can kill a dog, this is a very real danger in spain cos the locals put poision down everywhere to kill dogs/cats/birds/wildlife, as they do in all mediterranean countrys, and its partic a HUGE problem in cyprus/greece etc.

re renting my house, im afraid its not upto that standard ( fine for me and my dog, but others may be more picky ! ), and also, there are quite a few empty houses here and nobody wants to rent them.

re keeping my house as a base, yes i would really love to do that, but the local council have made it clear that even if empty all year ( not really recomended unless its boarded up like a fortress ) i will still have to pay FULL council tax at 80 pounds per month, this is life in modern britain, you pay through the nose just to stand still.

re benefits to get help with council tax, thats a non starter im afraid, cos, despite mass media propaganda claiming otherwise, claiming benefits in modern britain is as hard as hell, and if you are on jsa it just means you work full time for no wages ( so why would companys employ someone at a living wage when they can have a jsa claiment forced to do it for free ),
and if you are sick or disabled you need to literally be on deaths door to get anything, many thousands have been kicked off benefits only to die of their illness just a short time later, and those that dont are still too ill to fulfill the draconian demands of jsa and so get sanctioned ( money stopped ).

the whole anti benefits propagander put out by the mainstream media over the last few years has allowed our vile self serving politicians to do what they have always wanted, to get rid of the 'unproductive' sick and disabled for good, even if it means using other agencies ( the dwp/jobcentres/etc ) to literally kill them off, and many thousands of the sick have been over the past few years, but the mainstream media still will not report this, cos they dont want to.

so you can see why ive decided to get out of the uk and as far away from our greedy corrupt lying politicians as i can.

ive just to decide where to go, and as ive always dreamed of the freedom a motorhome can provide, now is deffo the time to do it, but ive got to choose my new country/s carefully, cos once ive spent some time touring around countrys im interested in, then i want to settle there for good.
so the help from this board is really usefull to me, like minded free spirited people who already enjoy the liberating experience that motorhoming can offer.
cheers.

wineciccio
19-11-2014, 20:50

John H
19-11-2014, 21:34

jann
30-11-2014, 14:24
If you are in another country for a long time, then it is not a holiday, but a different way of life. The cost of eating out doesn't come into it for us. We rarely eat out at home, so we don't when we are in another country. We find France no dearer than UK for food so long as we shop around, which we do in UK. We rarely need to pay for an aire or drinking water. Our main extra expense is diesel which is a lot cheaper than UK. The longer we are out, then the less miles we do per day on average, because there is no need to get somewhere quick like there was when we were working and on set holiday times.

Although it would probably be too cold for wintertime, Germany is cheaper for food than France. Don't give up your home in UK, because it would be very difficult to buy a property again because of different rates of inflation. If you need to rent it out, pay an agent to look after it for you. That way, they will deal with problems for you.

trevskoda
10-12-2014, 14:56
ireland north or suth is a bit more ex t live in but fuel cheap down south,donegall is best as near n/border so you can nip back and shop ,in donegall no one will bother you and some folk may let you stay in there farm yard if you ask.
and how do people here spend 900/1200 a month on food /living ,i spend about 20/30 a week for 4 of us because i go to asda at 8 in evening and buy salmon and the likes reduced from £4 to 10p etc plus spuds are cheap and grow in fields.
fuel down south works out at about £1 a litre.
the cold and wind here is the problem my bungalow burnes about 13 litres oil in every 17/19 hrs and it rains cats and dogs most of the time,the only differance between winter and summer here is that the rain gets warmer in summer.:lol-049::wave:

Loretta
10-12-2014, 15:58
Much better than Spain, but then again I'm biased ;);):p
But I'm talking about Portugal not Algarve

trevskoda
10-12-2014, 16:04

i would go where its warm easer living less heating bills and cheaper,if i could aford it i would move to gibraltar.

John H
10-12-2014, 16:07

I agree - Portugal, away from the Algarve, is delightful - a bit like Spain away from the dreaded Costas. But it is still wetter in winter ;)

camperbob
10-12-2014, 16:47
narrow boat on the canals? wood for heating free, dog friendlyetc. just a thought.

silverweed
10-12-2014, 18:28
I just don't believe it. Iv sat here and read through all the posts in one go and not one of you has referred AT ALL to the unbelievable dare I say self pitying RANT that started this thread. Some one writes one word considered unacceptable and there are pages and pages of down right personal attacks. Yet with the absolute attack on the first page NO ONE has said a word. Is this the return of mother Russia, communism here we come. I think to say I am totally shocked with the level of Well words fail me. Before I am accused of being one of the accursed rich, I am a support worker in the learning disability field and in the last 3 years I have had my wages slashed twice and terms and conditions degraded. I earn less now then I did over right years ago. But I get on with things and don't think these "rich" owe me. Let's face yes there are rich but most people are just ordinary people earning there living not monstrous villains

donnk
10-12-2014, 20:16
OK I'll bite.

Handouts/benefits don't just magically appear out of thin air, they come straight out of the wagepackets of ordinary working people.

All poverty in this country is a myth, take a look at any third world country to see Real poverty.

You do redeem yourself though as a good thatcherite home owner! Margaret would be proud!

Donnk

Val54
10-12-2014, 21:15
I dare say some of us have kept quiet precisely because we didn't agree with the premise of the OP and know full well that it would just end up in a slanging match as usual :cool1:
Dave

jagmanx
10-12-2014, 23:43
This guy has asked for some advice.
Many have responded appropriately and helpfully.
Others have read his reasoning and comments on Uk Tax etc and have hi-jacked the thread and gone "all p0litical".
This is a motorhome help forum !
This section is meant to be about that.
Put the politics in "Rant Raves and misbehaves" please !.
If you dont like his reasons simply dont reply !

silverweed
11-12-2014, 06:26
Well!! Is this a new forum. What iv been reading recently always appears to end a heated rapid exchange. But I think jagmax that if you re read the post it wasn't just about asking for advice. As he good naturedly agreed

dozzydop
11-12-2014, 07:38
thanks for all re eire/france/spain/holland info
i think im maybe leaning towards eire now cos i dont wanna have to learn the lingo in other countrys, but france sounds attractive.

ive not viewed the forum in a a fair few days and it seems ive missed some heated exhanges re the benefits etc comment ( i presume they have been removed, pity ), it looks like a lively and interesting debate ensued and its a shame i missed it, it would have been interesting reading.

has anyone got the pages saved before they were removed ?, even just saved as txt file would do, i would love to read what others said.
is it possible i could be pm'ed or sent message ( if this site allows it ), or maybe a link to it posted up on one of the many free upload sites ( rapidshare, uploaded, firedrive etc )

cheers

Polar Bear
11-12-2014, 09:17
I was going to include this option. You don't have to pay to moor up in lots of places as long as you move every 7 days?
If funds are tight consider renting [ if one room in your house it will be tax free income] maybe a loan could be repaied from this income

Deleted user 21925
11-12-2014, 12:12
Not a nice sailing Tjalk then David?

Deleted user 21925
11-12-2014, 12:33
We were piloted through that one in a 38ft motorboat. 2 weeks earlier, the pilot was ignored by a boater and his family in a centre cockpit cruiser, his head hit the bridge and his neck was broken against the bulkhead behind him. (Tragically fatal). I'm sometimes amazed they rent these large boats to people with 30 mins training!

Sail boats were being quanted (is that the word?) through whilst we were there, one chap got stuck on his quant and detached from the boat, much to the amusement of the people on the bridge.

pughed2
11-12-2014, 12:56
hello dozzydop............I sold my property in 2013 to get away from the incessant interference from bristol city council in my life so ending 40 years of money from me to them, which is now reversed, and been roaming since in a medium size motorhome.........I dont think it matters where you travel...........southern ireland should be fine, and the cheaper the place the better..........I have not looked back yet.........off to spain again in feb............good luck.....steve bristol

Debroos
12-12-2014, 14:17
thanks everyone for the informative replys and suggestions,

re scotland, i was considering it, but beware 'the mighty midge', or so ive heard, are they really that much of a pain, especially in summer ?

re france, never considered it at all, but now interested, but cost of food is expensive ?

re portugal/spain, the very hot weather in the summer would drive me mad, and i would maybe have problems walking my dog because of the spanish habit of laying down poision everywhere to kill stray dogs ( and peoples pets ), as they do in all mediterranean countrys, especially in cyprus and greece.

re the issue of living in the motorhome/caravan in winter, i would find it cheaper to heat that than my house ( which is always cold and damp in the winter ! ).

the reason im considering southern island and the netherlands is cos they have the same climate as the uk, which i like, im not a hot weather person and i love walking my dog for miles every day, something i would not be safe doing in countrys that dont like dogs as we do in western europe.

im dissapointed southern ireland is so damn expensive to live in, are the discount supermarkets there ( aldi/lidl ) more expensive than their uk counterparts for basic goods and basic food, ie, milk/bread etc ?

cheers

hi,
We go to the west of ireland most years. Have not had problems wilding BUT am reading quite alot about councils banning motorhomes in car parks etc especially in the hotspots as their numbers are increasing and you do get some right plonkers!
Having said that I don't think you'd have any probs in quieter areas especially if, as you say, you wouldn't stay for long.
the cost of food was very expensive but now there's a Lidl or Aldi just about everywhere so it does'nt cost us any more to live there than here.
Disadvantages- the ferry is dead expensive. Water may become hard to find when the water charges kick in. Campsites are very expensive and much worse than over here. Some hostels will let you park up and use their facilities for a fee though.
There are a few aires in the south and more in the North.
In your situation Scotland may well be the best bet especially if you have cash to head to Brittany for the winter.
Hope this helps. Best of luck.

HinnyHymer
12-12-2014, 18:52
Hi,
We spent sometime in Southern Ireland in Sept. A lovely country but the vast majority of car parks and coatal car parks have hieght barriers. They have a problem with Gypsy travellers apparentley. All the main towns , tourist sites etc have barriers. But get away to more remote areas and you can find places to stop and the locals are great.

dozzydop
25-12-2014, 14:24
thanks all for ideas and suggestions

ive decided on eire long term, scotland short term.

france is tempting but i want to avoid giving my small dog the rabies vaccine ( can be dangerous to small dogs health ), and i dont want any language issues.

spain is a no go due to the widespread practice of poision being put down everywhere to kill dogs and cats, and i will not give such a cruel country my custom.

also, hunting is incredibly widespread in france and spain, and again, i will not give cruel countrys my custom.

netherlands is out due to anti motor home/caravan regulations.

hoping to settle in eire ( rent apartment or buy small place ) in the future, but at least my touring for a few months in the van will give me an idea as to what the country is like as a whole, cost of living, people, countryside ( or lack of forests ) etc

also heard the 20 mile cavan way walking trail prohibits dogs, whaaat!, so i really need to check eire out if its gonna be suitable for me and my dog to live in long term.

ScamperVan
25-12-2014, 20:30
I don't think you should go to Ireland if you have such strong views on animal welfare

http://www.league.org.uk/~/media/Files/LACS/Publications/Greyhound-Report-2014.pdf

Debroos
26-12-2014, 12:25
thanks all for ideas and suggestions

ive decided on eire long term, scotland short term.

france is tempting but i want to avoid giving my small dog the rabies vaccine ( can be dangerous to small dogs health ), and i dont want any language issues.

spain is a no go due to the widespread practice of poision being put down everywhere to kill dogs and cats, and i will not give such a cruel country my custom.

also, hunting is incredibly widespread in france and spain, and again, i will not give cruel countrys my custom.

netherlands is out due to anti motor home/caravan regulations.

hoping to settle in eire ( rent apartment or buy small place ) in the future, but at least my touring for a few months in the van will give me an idea as to what the country is like as a whole, cost of living, people, countryside ( or lack of forests ) etc

also heard the 20 mile cavan way walking trail prohibits dogs, whaaat!, so i really need to check eire out if its gonna be suitable for me and my dog to live in long term.

you can buy property in eire incredibly cheaply, have a look online property.ie
re animal lack of welfare eire is improving hugely. it's more the old fellas who are still living in the distant past, but I'd say not part of modern culture. good luck..

trevskoda
26-12-2014, 14:06
you can buy property in eire incredibly cheaply, have a look online property.ie
re animal lack of welfare eire is improving hugely. it's more the old fellas who are still living in the distant past, but I'd say not part of modern culture. good luck..

property is very cheap in eire ,and they are modernising we no longer keep the pigs sheep hens in the house .we put them outside in the rain.:lol-049:things are moving forward down south but we are all proper up nort.

dozzydop
26-12-2014, 19:25
thanks all,

yes, i understand eire has animal welfare issues ( as does the whole uk ), but its a lesser evil compared to the outright barbarity going on in places like spain and the whole mediterranean region, it is very risky to walk your dog, even on a lead, in these countrys cos they put fast acting lethal poison down everywhere, towns/citys/villages/in the countryside, and even just a sniff of the stuff can kill a dog, and thousands of dogs/cats/wildlife/birds die like this EVERY DAY across the med region

this is why i will never visit spain or the med, and certainly not cyprus even though i have friends there and i could stay rent free for a while, i could never go out with my dog there, she would be in real danger, and its not unknown for the cypriots to even throw poisoned meat into cars to kill the dogs sitting quietly in the back seat whilst the owner nips into a shop, and they also target gardens with pets

this kind of evil is very very common in every single med country, they have an irrational hatred of animals, and especially dogs, its even ILLEGAL in cyprus to take a dog onto the beach, or most places on the island for that matter, yet the locals litter the beaches with broken glass left right and centre and thats considered acceptable, but if they see a 'mad' brit walking a dog, the hatred coming from them is palpable.

and france is little better, no poison but hunting is rife, and i still remember the french farmers burning live sheep in trucks from the uk a few years ago

yes, the evil of hunting is widespread in eire and the uk, but even more so in the continent and the med

so im limited to western europe really, and anyway, im one of the few who does not like hot weather !, i love nothing more than long forest walks on a crisp winter day with my dog, really hard to do nowadays in the industrial car jammed deforested polluted uk

donnk
27-12-2014, 08:49
thanks all,

yes, i understand eire has animal welfare issues ( as does the whole uk ), but its a lesser evil compared to the outright barbarity going on in places like spain and the whole mediterranean region, it is very risky to walk your dog, even on a lead, in these countrys cos they put fast acting lethal poison down everywhere, towns/citys/villages/in the countryside, and even just a sniff of the stuff can kill a dog, and thousands of dogs/cats/wildlife/birds die like this EVERY DAY across the med region

this is why i will never visit spain or the med, and certainly not cyprus even though i have friends there and i could stay rent free for a while, i could never go out with my dog there, she would be in real danger, and its not unknown for the cypriots to even throw poisoned meat into cars to kill the dogs sitting quietly in the back seat whilst the owner nips into a shop, and they also target gardens with pets

this kind of evil is very very common in every single med country, they have an irrational hatred of animals, and especially dogs, its even ILLEGAL in cyprus to take a dog onto the beach, or most places on the island for that matter, yet the locals litter the beaches with broken glass left right and centre and thats considered acceptable, but if they see a 'mad' brit walking a dog, the hatred coming from them is palpable.

and france is little better, no poison but hunting is rife, and i still remember the french farmers burning live sheep in trucks from the uk a few years ago

yes, the evil of hunting is widespread in eire and the uk, but even more so in the continent and the med

so im limited to western europe really, and anyway, im one of the few who does not like hot weather !, i love nothing more than long forest walks on a crisp winter day with my dog, really hard to do nowadays in the industrial car jammed deforested polluted uk

i think your crackers. :scared:

trevskoda
27-12-2014, 10:01
n ireland is ok for dogs but you must keep them on lead and clean up after them,if you let them of in the contry farmers have the right to shoot other wise all fine,dont know the regs for down south but you can look it up online.

nipagan
27-12-2014, 10:38
hi
i live in NI so though id drop you a line re staying down south .
first up it is a laid back place people before profit still runs deep , were a friendly lot north and south and you’ll have little difficulty in getting help if needed . you be nice we be nice you know how it works.
the difference to the UK is the lack of organised camp sites ,
In the republic the trick is go the the local shop or better pub and ask if there’s anywhere to stop for a few days . chances are you’ll have a choice . next there are a lot of tourist car parks and canal stopping points , as long as your low profile and tidy you should be fine . on the canals you can buy a card the lets you use showers elsans etc.
as long as they don’t think your a member of “the indigenous travelling community” should have a great time , with slightly less midges than Scotland.

Luck whatever you decide to do

peter

feel free to drop me a message if you have a specific question ill try and help

dozzydop
27-12-2014, 14:17

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS