PDA

View Full Version : oban

peppers
19-08-2008, 17:43
head for north beach car park gates are locked at 9pm opened at 7am ask the attendant he will let you stay very pleasant guy toilets and sea view and a beach to fish of ;heaven;:)

juliandavies
23-04-2009, 12:55
peppers - dyu reckon he would allow 2 Bongo campervans, a 29ft RV and some tents!!:(
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/argyllshire/5742-wild-camping-near-oban-loch-fyne.html

peppers
23-04-2009, 17:15
peppers - dyu reckon he would allow 2 Bongo campervans, a 29ft RV and some tents!!:(
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/argyllshire/5742-wild-camping-near-oban-loch-fyne.html

the guy seemed very laid back and accomadating there was a family in an old caravan that had been there all week and it was mid august

pam
30-04-2009, 21:50
hi went there 2 weeks ago. They are building 4 and 5 bedroom luxury homes there now. big notice about what you cant do !!!!! breathing may be permissible-just !!

SMS
30-04-2009, 22:05
We are up there after mid August, so will have to find another spot now. I believe there is a Tesco in Oban and understand there is an unwritten agreement that MH may overnight in carpark, would this be appropriate? The original spot sounded ideal!:(

AntandBeth
16-06-2009, 20:07
fear not ! I think we may have found an ever better spot! Just head towards the campsite in oban and on the way, where the Ferry departs for kerrera there is a lovely flat carpark. the road is quiet and if you have on Aerial, there is digital reception and if you haVe an internet phone there is a signal. weve been here 3 nights now without any bother. Hope this helps!

Ant and Beth

AntandBeth
16-06-2009, 20:11
towards Campsite in Oban there is a Flat carpark where ferry departs for kerrera. lovely spot !

zeezee16
19-07-2009, 17:32
Had a night there 15/7/09, fantastic views, fairly quite road,(campsite & diving cantre about a mile further on).
Take a fishing rod, there's loads of fish there.
Cheers, Pete.

BedfordMJ
19-07-2009, 19:50
Had a night there 15/7/09, fantastic views, fairly quite road,(campsite & diving cantre about a mile further on).
Take a fishing rod, there's loads of fish there.
Cheers, Pete.

If the site & Diving centre is Tralee bay i've stayed there many times in the log cabins. There seems to always be someone parked on the beach with a fire. The last time I went there was a VW camper with a boat, nobody seemed to bother, the entrance must be before Tralee bay. I have no idea if this is still ok, last time I was there was a year or so ago.

bodach
20-07-2009, 18:57
Tesco car park run by a private firm. 70 if more than 3 hours stay.

gazznsam
24-08-2009, 22:27
we are in oban right now, got a sick pet rat who nearly died in our arms saturday morning, were in fort william, but that vet dosent have an ultrasound, so had to come to oban,

found ourselves at the north carpark, it's still there with those poncey houses right upto it's boundries, tons of room for motorhomes, if someone had their head screwed on, they'd turn it into an aire and make a packet.

but instead they put up that sigh of dont's, by bod i've never seen anything like it, i dozed off half way through it, and i'm sure doing that was on the list of dont's.

the sign is about 5 foot tall, 4 foot wide, and the list spans the whole sign, there are more of them on oban, the carpark at the roundabouts as you enter the town and head either to the north or south end of the seafront, that carpark has a 3 meter tall height barrier!!! but no vans over 1.5 tons, and of course the list of do nots on the parking rules.

we did find there are designated motorhome spaces, you need to head for the retail park/co-op and tescos, signed for the truck parking area,

about 6 spaces for solo motorhomes, BUT it's 1.80 an hour for the first 8 hours, then 10 quid for hours 8 to 24, then i presume you start again.

so 18.50 to spend 24 hours on a carpark with fridge lorries parked up to the side of you.

it's 15.50 a night at the oban caravan park, which is where we are now as we just haddnt the time to search for a wilding spot as we had an appointment with the vets to make.

we went past the ferry parking area mentioned here, got a little confused as in town is the big ferry terminal for the ferries to mull and other islands, where there's a height barriered carpark and a ban on overnight parking, it's not that one, it's the tiddely little ferry that goes accross to the other side of the loch about 3 miles up that road (i know that's mentioned, but my net credit ran out 2 days ago, and i was remembering what i'd read as we changed our plans)
btw, very poor T-mobile signal here, got 2 bars of gprs on the net connection.

there is space for motorhomes at the little ferry carpark, again only for solo motorhomes, i'm a pain with having the car with us on a darn trailer, i am deffor sellin the trailer and getting a A-frame for next years tour,
When we went past the carpark at about 2pm it was practicaly full, one motorhome there for a night... up on blocks etc. the rest were cars,

when we went past in the car at about 9pm there were 3 motorhomes, and still a fair few cars, but plenty of space, but i think owt over 23 foot long will be pushing it, tho some spaces are longer than others, and you will have to hang the arse end over the loch side.

If your adventurous, we saw a motorhome parked up at the caigs tower carpark, that's up some steep narrow lanes, no signs saying no nowt, the views are spectacular from the tower... it's that coloseum looking building on the hills above the town.

peppers
25-08-2009, 06:55
we are in oban right now, got a sick pet rat who nearly died in our arms saturday morning, were in fort william, but that vet dosent have an ultrasound, so had to come to oban,

found ourselves at the north carpark, it's still there with those poncey houses right upto it's boundries, tons of room for motorhomes, if someone had their head screwed on, they'd turn it into an aire and make a packet.

but instead they put up that sigh of dont's, by bod i've never seen anything like it, i dozed off half way through it, and i'm sure doing that was on the list of dont's.

the sign is about 5 foot tall, 4 foot wide, and the list spans the whole sign, there are more of them on oban, the carpark at the roundabouts as you enter the town and head either to the north or south end of the seafront, that carpark has a 3 meter tall height barrier!!! but no vans over 1.5 tons, and of course the list of do nots on the parking rules.

we did find there are designated motorhome spaces, you need to head for the retail park/co-op and tescos, signed for the truck parking area,

about 6 spaces for solo motorhomes, BUT it's 1.80 an hour for the first 8 hours, then 10 quid for hours 8 to 24, then i presume you start again.

so 18.50 to spend 24 hours on a carpark with fridge lorries parked up to the side of you.

it's 15.50 a night at the oban caravan park, which is where we are now as we just haddnt the time to search for a wilding spot as we had an appointment with the vets to make.

we went past the ferry parking area mentioned here, got a little confused as in town is the big ferry terminal for the ferries to mull and other islands, where there's a height barriered carpark and a ban on overnight parking, it's not that one, it's the tiddely little ferry that goes accross to the other side of the loch about 3 miles up that road (i know that's mentioned, but my net credit ran out 2 days ago, and i was remembering what i'd read as we changed our plans)
btw, very poor T-mobile signal here, got 2 bars of gprs on the net connection.

there is space for motorhomes at the little ferry carpark, again only for solo motorhomes, i'm a pain with having the car with us on a darn trailer, i am deffor sellin the trailer and getting a A-frame for next years tour,
When we went past the carpark at about 2pm it was practicaly full, one motorhome there for a night... up on blocks etc. the rest were cars,

when we went past in the car at about 9pm there were 3 motorhomes, and still a fair few cars, but plenty of space, but i think owt over 23 foot long will be pushing it, tho some spaces are longer than others, and you will have to hang the arse end over the loch side.

If your adventurous, we saw a motorhome parked up at the caigs tower carpark, that's up some steep narrow lanes, no signs saying no nowt, the views are spectacular from the tower... it's that coloseum looking building on the hills above the town.

time to erase oban from my tourist map

runnach
25-08-2009, 16:57
When you mention "North Car Park" do you mean Ganavan Sands? I haven't been up there for a while now, so I have no idea of new development layout. I hope the large tarmac area around slipway remains as is, this was the area for workshops to repair Sunderland and Catalina flying boats during WW2, hence the slipway to haul them out.

Alf
25-08-2009, 17:56
When you mention "North Car Park" do you mean Ganavan Sands? I haven't been up there for a while now, so I have no idea of new development layout. I hope the large tarmac area around slipway remains as is, this was the area for workshops to repair Sunderland and Catalina flying boats during WW2, hence the slipway to haul them out.

There is quite a story to the RAF Sunderland Base at Ganavan Sands I assume you are aware of it Runnach but if anyone requires more info follow this link

Oban Royal Air Force Station, Scotland - The Flying Boat Squadrons (http://www.rafoban.co.uk/page9.htm)

Alf

runnach
25-08-2009, 18:08
Yes, my dive mate and I did a lot of research regarding flying boats, this led us to find three Catalina's and one Sunderland, the latter being HUGE, first Catalina I found was still armed, even the gun blisters still opened and closed like they had just been lubed!

Oh, and we stumbled on a US beach landing craft too:p

Alf
25-08-2009, 20:02
Yes, my dive mate and I did a lot of research regarding flying boats, this led us to find three Catalina's and one Sunderland, the latter being HUGE, first Catalina I found was still armed, even the gun blisters still opened and closed like they had just been lubed!

Runnach was this the Sunderland that sunk of Maiden Island it must have been a fantastic experiance for you finding these planes

Alf

runnach
25-08-2009, 21:37
Runnach was this the Sunderland that sunk of Maiden Island it must have been a fantastic experiance for you finding these planes

Alf

Not Maiden Island Alf, nothing around Maiden except the odd scallop or two. Sunderland is North of Kerrera, Cats are scattered around further north of Kerrera and, to compound matters, pretty close to the shipping lane in and out of Oban. Breaks the monotony watching the ferry props going round while decompressing:eek::eek::eek:

We must have spent over a year searching various areas where we were told by fishermen of snags, always a good place to start, fishermen and their charts!

Sunderland was well embedded into the silt, bit dodgy to penetrate as it was a haven for Conger Eels.

Catalina 1, front end up to leading edge of wing was gone, probably ripped off by a trawl. Leading edge to rear tail all intact, entry was easy via gun blisters.

Catalina 2, front end up to trailing edge of wing intact, rear ripped off by trawl. Cockpit configuration is amazing, both pilot and co pilot flew aircraft using what is best described as two cart wheels.

Catalina 3, deepest at 43 metres, front end buried in silt, tail with gun blisters all intact sitting up out of the seabed. Bomb tailfins were viewed within aircraft.

US landing Craft: was a snag mark on chart, we thought was a Catalina, one of the good points of diving, you never know what you may find!

One of many fantastic experiences.

Cheers,

Jock Cousteau:D

Alf
25-08-2009, 22:57
The RAF Oban website quotes a Sunderland sunk off Maiden Island after striking a floatin horsebox washed off a sonk ship see

Oban Royal Air Force Station, Scotland - The Flying Boat Squadrons (http://www.rafoban.co.uk/page9.htm)

Alf

runnach
25-08-2009, 23:25
I do recall the one that sunk around Maiden Island, Maiden Isle as you will know is at the entrance to Oban Bay, which would have been salvaged to clear the shipping lane.

Horse box would have been from the SS Breda. The Breda was shaken by nearby bombs dropped from a German Heinkel 111 bomber her engine rooms flooded and she sank on 23 December 1940.

These were race horses owned by the Aga Khan, many horses were saved when the Breda beached, when she slid back, remainder floated off and, some were drifting towards the Falls Of Lora, locals saved a few, many unfortunately perished.

Seaplanes: many lost on landing due to sea state, I have nothing but respect for those who served on these vehicles of war, actually, it a Catalina that found the Bismark in Bay of Biscay prior to her being blasted to the murky depths, not one of our Cats unfortunately.............

Aplogies for digressing from M/H stuff to wrecks, or maybe there is a link?

marty
01-10-2009, 15:31
Yea good spot , tis a bit narrow and close to the road , but it did the job nicely, cheers for this one

donnyscuba
16-03-2011, 15:24

hey Runnach, one of our dive club picked up on this thread and refered it to me. looks like a great dive site for us to explore.
rather than us heading up there and blundering around in the dark (so to speak) is there any chance you could give me some pointers, and/or a site map?
cheers
donny.

BarbaraK
28-04-2011, 16:26
I stayed one night last April in the public car park next to Tescos. There are marked bays for motorhomes and when I was there several other campers and motorhomes used it for the night. There is no charge and Tesco opens nice and early for orange juice and milk! If you're up for a night out in Oban (say at the Ceilidhouse) it's a very easy walk back to bed at the end.

We are up there after mid August, so will have to find another spot now. I believe there is a Tesco in Oban and understand there is an unwritten agreement that MH may overnight in carpark, would this be appropriate? The original spot sounded ideal!:(

adriacoral
28-04-2011, 20:44
we were up there last week, yes you can still park at McCraigs tower. We went to Ganavan beach, signs saying no sleeping between 11 and 7, so we stayed till 10 then drove back towards town about half mile and stayed on prom, no signs, no probs. then went back in morning. did this twice.

runnach
02-05-2011, 17:54
hey Runnach, one of our dive club picked up on this thread and refered it to me. looks like a great dive site for us to explore.
rather than us heading up there and blundering around in the dark (so to speak) is there any chance you could give me some pointers, and/or a site map?
cheers
donny.

Sorry Donny, if it were made common knowledge, there would be nothing left of the aircraft mate.

Happy bubbles%%%%%

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS