PDA

View Full Version : Reculver, near Herne Bay

rubberjohnson
22-08-2008, 17:09
If you find yourself near the north coast of Kent, there's a car park at Reculver, just to the East of Herne Bay. Come off the A299 at Hillborough and follow signs to Reculver. It's the site of a Roman fort and has a picturesque church ruin on it (the towers purposefully left standing when the rest of the church was demolished in the early 1800s, for ships to use as navigation). Easy walk/bike ride along breakwater east to Minnis Bay and on to Margate (if that's your thing:D), or walks west towards Herne Bay.
There are public toilets open during the day and an information centre. It's right by the ruins and surprisingly quiet at night, considering it's near a large caravan park. There are a couple of pubs within 3 minutes walk.

The drawback? You'll have to be in a little camper like us to enjoy it. There's the dreaded height restriction on the way in: 6'10' if I remember right. I'm in a simple VW so no problem. And with all day parking at 80p and overnight at 20p(!), plus the views over the sea from the van, recommended if you're in the area and fit the height criteria!

BJO
22-08-2008, 18:28
Be a bit careful around that area there !! A lot of the area is owned by the Blue Dolphin Park and the Ethelbert pub grounds. I live at the Blue Dolphin it is not a caravan 'park' but residential and mostly private ground. Clampers are in action and unless you are 'sure' that the ground is not owned by the above or by the council take care !!!

steve4kay
22-08-2008, 19:42
reculver was the place where barnes wallace first tried out the bouncing bomb prior to the raids on the ruhr valley ! i may be ancient but i was not an eye witness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rubberjohnson
01-06-2009, 21:14
Jumping in a bit late on my message from last year here, but I'm just going through my old posts...
The car park is council owned, definitely. Yes, BJO, all the areas around where you could park are private (such as the pub car parks), so make sure you park in there. At 20p a night (!), a bargain. But, as I say, that's quite a low height restriction; I think if I had my roof rack on I may not make it!

Barbt
02-06-2009, 09:14
There's a car park without a barrier at the beginning of the beach huts in Herne bay - toilets and a tap. The Sea Cadets have their hall there and if they have a disco it's a bit noisy for a while but its free to stop there over night, we've never had a problem.
Also if you follow the road through past Tankerton slopes, keeping the sea on your left, you go to the end of the road and where it forks take the left fork ( it says no through road ), there's a small shop on the corner, follow the road down to the end. There are often campers etc down there and no-one bothers you. Lovely views over the sea.

mrspatch
30-07-2009, 14:55
There's a car park without a barrier at the beginning of the beach huts in Herne bay - toilets and a tap. The Sea Cadets have their hall there and if they have a disco it's a bit noisy for a while but its free to stop there over night, we've never had a problem.
Also if you follow the road through past Tankerton slopes, keeping the sea on your left, you go to the end of the road and where it forks take the left fork ( it says no through road ), there's a small shop on the corner, follow the road down to the end. There are often campers etc down there and no-one bothers you. Lovely views over the sea.

AKA Hampton Pier - free parking, lovely clean toilets and a chance for fishing :)

mavisnye
27-05-2010, 21:13

Just to update this as there is now a new restaurant where the shop was at the fork in the road at Tankerton.

BarbaraK
28-04-2011, 16:37
There is plenty of parking at Minnis Bay on the sae front. I've spent a night there quite peacefully. Then you can walk to Reculver along the coast.

Canalsman
28-04-2011, 20:38
There is plenty of parking at Minnis Bay on the sae front. I've spent a night there quite peacefully. Then you can walk to Reculver along the coast.

Thanks for the tip - I've added it to the database.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS