PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Cumbrae and Isle Of Bute

gerryhughes
26-08-2008, 18:40
Hi All
We are thinking of going to Cumbrae or Bute for the weekend and wondered if anyone had wild camped i have been to both islands many times in the past but never stayed the night but now we have a MH would like to spend more time there.

Thanks
Gerry

toxicturtle
11-07-2011, 19:43
Late reply but may be of use to someone, theres a wee area with chairs at the top o millport (literally) in the approx middle of the island. One of the first places me n my boys camped before i even realised there was such a thing as wild camping! theres also a few places on the northern shore, usually populated by swans. going back 4 years or so but nothing said.

Canalsman
11-07-2011, 23:25
Late reply but may be of use to someone, theres a wee area with chairs at the top o millport (literally) in the approx middle of the island. One of the first places me n my boys camped before i even realised there was such a thing as wild camping! theres also a few places on the northern shore, usually populated by swans. going back 4 years or so but nothing said.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've added 5 places on Great Cumbrae :)

Regards

Chris

Barbt
12-07-2011, 08:54
Bute - we stayed close to St Blane's Chapel. Its a lovely spot and the chapel is well worth a visit.

Marcs
09-08-2011, 23:39
As im only local I went over to great cumbrae today and cycled round the island, for the benefit of anyone staying locally thought I'd mention it's only 4.30 per pedestrian from the Largs ferry and bikes go free!! - sub 20 per vehicle too if you need to take one.

If you need to borrow a bike there are 3 cycle hire places on the island and a bus meets every ferry coming in to take you down to Millport where they are.

We had a fantastic day over there and will be wilding over there very soon as there were a great many suitable places :-)

Hope this helps someone.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS