PDA

View Full Version : End of encryption?

Tezza
13-01-2015, 20:16
Due partly to to events in Paris...Mr Camerwrong is now wanting to ban encryption. With no encryption every shoolboy hacker will be able to to see yourr sms....your email...your banking detail. Ebay and Amazon might as well close shop ...and every other online retailer. Who is going to want to send their credit card details over unsecured lines. Times are changing. This is supposedly done because of terrorism...but it will also allow the goverment to snoop on journalists , their opponents. What people believe to be free speech will also be gone. We dont have it now though....did you know this goverment sent agents to the guardian newspaper to oversee them destroy evidence of cover ups...under the threat of closing it down? IF you need proof of this i can supply it.
So be warned...the Uk is going back to the dark ages.

Cameron wants to ban encryption (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/13/cameron-ban-encryption-digital-britain-online-shopping-banking-messaging-terror?CMP=twt_gu)

trevskoda
13-01-2015, 20:29
well he will have a hard job as its common on linux to encript all your home folders and if you wish e/mail,but in u.s.a. you are not supossed to use linux encription as it against the law,but i think the bad lads would find some other meens of snooping and sending messages of doom.Next thing our mail will be opened and read & our phones tapped,o forgot the do that.

QFour
13-01-2015, 20:34
Don't worry about it. It will never happen. Bit like the referendum on europe. Everything he says starts with ' If i am elected ' . They haven't got the money or the computer systems to follow everyone. DWP are looking for someone who understands DOS based systems as they have not updated their systems to colour yet .....

The banks will find a way round it as will everyone else who wants to have secure communications.

People will be back to using the telephone box down the road to make their arrangements for the weekend :rockroll:

hextal
13-01-2015, 20:44
Reminds me of that line from 'v for vendetta'....

"He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.". Ooh, might watch that tomorrow.

Interesting to note that when you look at the deaths within the uk in the 21st century that are attributed to acts of terrorism they average circa 5 per year, the same number as die from bee stings.

The number of cyclists killed per year is something like 30 times that figure.

Soooo (at the risk of being unpopular). Making cycle helmets mandatory would cost naff all, and would likely save more than enough lives to offset the number of terrorist related deaths, at the cost of a much smaller civil liberty encroachment.

Just a thought.

eddyt
13-01-2015, 21:23

"He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.". Ooh, might watch that tomorrow.

Interesting to note that when you look at the deaths within the uk in the 21st century that are attributed to acts of terrorism they average circa 5 per year, the same number as die from bee stings.

Soooo (at the risk of being unpopular). Making cycle helmets mandatory would cost naff all, and would likely save more than enough lives to offset the number of terrorist related deaths, at the cost of a much smaller civil liberty encroachment.

Just a thought.

bettr make sure no muslim bees fly over

alcam
13-01-2015, 22:09

Just a thought.
So you want to save cyclists ?

jagmanx
14-01-2015, 03:16
I suggest That ALL his emails to other ministers and civil servants are encrypted.

if not why not !

So rearrange " foot shooting the in himself "

fofeg101
14-01-2015, 04:38
It was just a matter of time before some kind of internet policing came in since we're already the most filmed, or photographed, people in the World, CCTV and all. I know from my own experience, that as soon as you set foot in Birmingham, if you look dodgy with a rucksack on your back, you are followed around the City. That would be OK if it were the Police doing the surveillance and not some half wit working for the council. Scenario: a Private Investigator wants someone's movements recorded who he's following, for infidelity purposes, he slips one of those surveillance chappie's a few quid, no problem, they have facial recognition all they need is a photograph. Just think what a bonus being able to have our emails, social media posts, even posts on this forum, read would be?

So, it depends who they get to read your stuff on the internet. I wouldn't mind if it was the head of MI5, MI6 or the Head of the counter intelligence agency but it won't be, it will be some Tit-head working for the council.

Also, I like most people now, do all of my financial stuff on line and we put a lot of trust in the ISP, the people who work for the financial institutions, a lot of Banks have their internet services based in places like India. All of those companies are only as secure as the people they have working for them.

George Orwell was thirty years out.

Tbear
14-01-2015, 05:08
Tezza,

Do you really think that the government does not have the ability to "monitor" what you do on line and with all your radical posts, they may well do so!!!

Richard

QFour
14-01-2015, 05:56

Just a thought.

Just think how many cycle lanes could be built with all the money .. That they haven't got ..

PopesOnTour
14-01-2015, 06:29
It's all academic, everything you do is already monitored. We had a demonstration the other week of a website reporting system we could add to our company website. Tracks visitors, tells you which pages they visit and for how long. Also tells you the website they came from, the address (IP) of their computer and a unique identifier for each visitor, as it's dodgy to show us the name of the logged on user!
Try finding the Horizon episode on the Dark Web. Most Internet communication is read by computers and a small number flagged for human review. Thinking of getting such a system to keep upto date with threads on this forum, let alone other MH forums :smile:
Encryption is already out there, and no PM or other leader can persuade the nastier types not to use it. If your planning to break the law, adding another one to the list isn't an issue. So if it is banned, and can be policed, it will be innocent tax payers who end up getting fined to feed the politicians with more cut price champers.

Tezza
14-01-2015, 08:31
It's all academic, everything you do is already monitored. We had a demonstration the other week of a website reporting system we could add to our company website. Tracks visitors, tells you which pages they visit and for how long. Also tells you the website they came from, the address (IP) of their computer and a unique identifier for each visitor, as it's dodgy to show us the name of the logged on user!
Try finding the Horizon episode on the Dark Web. Most Internet communication is read by computers and a small number flagged for human review. Thinking of getting such a system to keep upto date with threads on this forum, let alone other MH forums :smile:
Encryption is already out there, and no PM or other leader can persuade the nastier types not to use it. If your planning to break the law, adding another one to the list isn't an issue. So if it is banned, and can be policed, it will be innocent tax payers who end up getting fined to feed the politicians with more cut price champers.
Very true....but your being monitored by a 12 year old on his dinner break with his chums. No encryption means that even I could could learn to see what your up to in a few hours.

Tezza
14-01-2015, 10:20
They dont have to david....and if you think you have security you are deluding yourself....hackers can get into anywhere they want,,,,,i think the usa might have a bit more than you and only 48 hours ago the their mod and cia and fbi i think were hacked....microsoft and sony were hacked on xmas day.So do you honestly believe your system is better than theirs?
And there are programmes out there freely available so knowledge of code is not required.
Anonomouse have just started hacking IS and that is with encryption

sparrks
14-01-2015, 10:22
They dont have to david....and if you think you have security you are deluding yourself....hackers can get into anywhere they want,,,,,i think the usa might have a bit more than you and only 48 hours ago the their mod and cia and fbi i think were hacked....microsoft and sony were hacked on xmas day.So do you honestly believe your system is better than theirs?
And there are programmes out there freely available so knowledge of code is not required.
Anonomouse have just started hacking IS and that is with encryption

Use Linux or a Mac as these are infallible as we are keep getting told :D :D :D

Norm De Plume
14-01-2015, 10:45
You can hide crypto in plain text if you want - have a play with 'nonopticon' and you can see how it would be possible to send emails that look like English (or German, or Dutch) but which contain an encrypted message.

Security is like squeezing mud. If you have a handful of mud and you squeeze it, you still have a handful of mud but the mud is just on the outside of the hand - i.e. the problem displaces to somewhere else that you cannot control.

Tezza
14-01-2015, 10:53
Use Linux or a Mac as these are infallible as we are keep getting told :D :D :D
So if this was the case......wouldnt would be terrorists use these systems? so no need to end encryption.
And david...it is so easy to hack somebodys home computer even with all the firewalls and and anti virus.If you have pissed off somebody.....just by posting here they can find your ip adress and start the process. Firewalls and and anti virus are always updated after the event. There is one doing the rounds now that blocks your pc from doing anything unless you pay £100 to the met police lol. as of yet there is no real work around for it....even though its been doing the rounds for a few years. most people believe you can only get a virus from an email....but you can can also get them just by clicking on links on websites....to view a politcal point or even a nice puppy pic.

sparrks
14-01-2015, 11:05
So if this was the case......wouldnt would be terrorists use these systems? so no need to end encryption.
And david...it is so easy to hack somebodys home computer even with all the firewalls and and anti virus.If you have pissed off somebody.....just by posting here they can find your ip adress and start the process. Firewalls and and anti virus are always updated after the event. There is one doing the rounds now that blocks your pc from doing anything unless you pay £100 to the met police lol. as of yet there is no real work around for it....even though its been doing the rounds for a few years. most people believe you can only get a virus from an email....but you can can also get them just by clicking on links on websites....to view a politcal point or even a nice puppy pic.

Crikey Tezza, lighten up, can't you tell when someones yanking your chain? :D :D

invalid
14-01-2015, 11:29
If my memory serves me correctly, one of the first uses of hiding information in a picture was by an East German lady, sending communications to friends in the west. She was found out because the size of the file was disprortortional to the quality of the picture.
I remember when Norton system security came out, locking the bios and hardware from use, and locking the information on the hard disk, took two of us less than 60mts to break. Nothing is un-hackable, all thatís needed is time and ability.
I remember it being said that our Government gave the South African Government the names and address and contact details of the ring leaders of the anty-apartite movement, this was after our Government had put pressure on the encryption company to help with decoding. We then received an order for a large arms deal.
Remember these powers are supposed only to be used against terrorist, so all that is needed to classify everything as a terrorist threat, if you belong to any anti hunt or animal rights organisation, they are lumped in with terrorist organisations. Be warned your privacy is in your hands, make it as hard as possible for big brother to read anything.

Tezza
14-01-2015, 12:38
I dont know how to do it im not a hacker....but many people do...just google it. firstly i think this site would have to be hacked...then they will have everybody's ip. Im sure if the pentagon can be hacked you can. but if your system is better than theirs...maybe you should set yourself up as a consultant.
Just one off google...there are millions on there

Secrets Finally Revealed: How to get someone's Ip Address (http://prasoon-nigam.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-get-someones-ip-address.html)
And one off youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMm0CJOvKJc

Your IP address: Who can see it and what you can do about it | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2105405/your-ip-address-who-can-see-it-and-what-you-can-do-about-it.html)
So i think all i have to do is set up a legitimate blog and by doing that i think i am right in saying i would be able to see the ip's of everybody who visited that blog?...i dont know if that is correct.

Tezza
14-01-2015, 12:43
oh and just found this....if im right...if you click on a pic i have posted here....to enlarge it for example...this site says your ip can be shown to me....am i reading that right?
How to find someones ip address, Find someones ip address, who is ip? where is ip? - Fuglekos.com/ip-grabber/ (http://www.fuglekos.com/ip-grabber/index.html)

QFour
14-01-2015, 13:42
oh and just found this....if im right...if you click on a pic i have posted here....to enlarge it for example...this site says your ip can be shown to me....am i reading that right?
How to find someones ip address, Find someones ip address, who is ip? where is ip? - Fuglekos.com/ip-grabber/ (http://www.fuglekos.com/ip-grabber/index.html)

Just shows the ISP address you were using at that time. If you switch your router off and on it will come up with another address. The tricky bit is getting the ISP Virgin .. BT .. Talk Talk etc to tell you the address and account details for the person connected at the time.

If you use a BTHot spot it gets even harder and if you connect to the internet via your neighbours because he hasn't locked his router with a password then it's darn near impossible.

Lets face it what do the politicians know about the ways of the internet. They only have one thing on their mind most of the time .. ££££

Tezza
14-01-2015, 13:54
I'm not disagreeing with you David...just trying to learn a bit more of what is possible and whats not. Yes i did click the link and yes i know that what im seeing is only available to me....so for example the links i posted...are they wrong?

Tbear
14-01-2015, 18:00
Surely if you have an ordinary security system and you don't have a couple of billion quid or a nuclear arsenal, it's just not worth the hackers spending loads of time trying to get into your system. I am sure no system is perfect but most do take a bit of effort to crack.

Richard

GWAYGWAY
14-01-2015, 19:18
Tezza,

Do you really think that the government does not have the ability to "monitor" what you do on line and with all your radical posts, they may well do so!!!

Richard

WE ARE WATCHING YOU, on that anarchist site ALL of you. Dodgy buggers the lot of you. Wild camping is a front for training camps.
D. Cameron via Cheltenham

GWAYGWAY
14-01-2015, 19:28
Second thought write you message in Welsh, backwards (Direction wise that is not, the Welsh)
Most of the terror groups use messengers to pass the information they want.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS