PDA

View Full Version : Ladybower Resevoir

t4_chris
28-08-2008, 21:30
Anybody know if there are any good spots around Ladybower or nearby? :)

ian81
29-08-2008, 08:30
A couple of years back we stopped on the edge of the reservoir. As I recall heading across the middle on the A57 towards Manchester then turn north up the western side. There is a car park with loos but then you can press on further north but the road is closed at weekends. Approx 53.435N 1.750W

mandrake
29-08-2008, 09:19
there is also a large lay bye set well back from the a57 from sheffield about half to three quarter of a mile before the res itself . but ian81 spot is ok aswell but there is a pub with a largish car park just before the lights, that may be worth a try .

grath
30-08-2008, 12:46
This is the one where the Dambusters did their training is it not?:)
Sorry, it was Derwent, but isnt that next door?? or is it one and the same??:confused:

mandrake
30-08-2008, 15:37
This is the one where the Dambusters did their training is it not?:)
Sorry, it was Derwent, but isnt that next door?? or is it one and the same??:confused:

derwent water is where ian 81 means, if traveling from shefield towards Manchester on the a57 you get to the lights at ladybower. you can turn left toward castelton . but carry on for about 2 to 3 hundred yards toward manchester or glossop , take your first right that is to derwent water , a car park at the bottom of the road is the one . during the summer if it is dry you can see the old village of derwent that they flooded to create the reservoir

grath
30-08-2008, 19:03
derwent water is where ian 81 means, if traveling from shefield towards Manchester on the a57 you get to the lights at ladybower. you can turn left toward castelton . but carry on for about 2 to 3 hundred yards toward manchester or glossop , take your first right that is to derwent water , a car park at the bottom of the road is the one . during the summer if it is dry you can see the old village of derwent that they flooded to create the reservoir

Thanks Graham, I will have to look into it:cool:

mandrake
30-08-2008, 19:27
the pub just before the res looks, good i may find out if we are welcome to stay overnight in car park if not there are places nearby to park

BedfordMJ
30-08-2008, 19:34
the pub just before the res looks, good i may find out if we are welcome to stay overnight in car park if not there are places nearby to park

I went there two weeks ago for a run out in my truck. Where you turn up right to derwent valley I did see signs saying no overnight camping.
The pub you mentioned I remember well as I parked in there when having my HGV lessons - we stopped there for a pint!
It does have a bit of a slope on the car park gets really busy at times. I did have dinner there last year when my friend from Thailand visited and the food was good. The tales of bouncing bombs and the ringing of the church bell when the water level was low got him hooked.

mandrake
30-08-2008, 19:39
hi beddy they do say you can hear the church bells ring from the old village also there was a program on sky about the air craft that crashed on bleaklow they say you can still hear the ghostly engines:eek::eek:

BedfordMJ
30-08-2008, 19:50
I think it must have been at least 10 years since the water was that low but I do remember going over at that time. Being from Barnsley same as your good self it's very close for a drive out at the weekend.
Excellent walking country.
Just after the traffic lights might be a bout a mile further there used to be a turning on the left with a small parking area - no idea if it is still there. I just remembered this I used to park there when walking.
At Stanage edge also parking space but it is part of I think North Lees estate and maybe people would be moved on.

t4_chris
30-08-2008, 23:02
Thanks for the input :) Looking at the OS there are at least three parking places marked alongside Ladybower and then the big Fairholmes carpark. If you continue alongside Derwent the road eventually ends, I seem to remember from cycling around the resevoir that this could be a good spot?

I didn't get a chance to get away this weekend but maybe next weekend, will report back when I've had the chance :D

marmalade
08-09-2008, 10:14
We live near here and i think all these car parks have no over night signs. The one on derwent is a complete no no. There is a spot on the otherside of the resevoir from the A57 but not sure how to get there it seems to have a reasonable track running to it but never ventured that far round.

Paul-vw-california
10-12-2008, 18:51
We live near here and i think all these car parks have no over night signs. The one on derwent is a complete no no. There is a spot on the otherside of the resevoir from the A57 but not sure how to get there it seems to have a reasonable track running to it but never ventured that far round.

To get to the other side of the res, drive up to fairholmes then at the roundabout take the road going down past the bottom of the dam, back up the hill.

Would have thought you will get hassle parking up tho, like you say loads of no camping signs up.

Could be a better spot just a bit further up, take the road to Glossop, then take first left over the river ashop and up the hill. Doubt anyone will hassle you up there.

Pipps and Co
24-12-2008, 16:55
Hi,
We are new to both our recently purchased autotrail appache and the wildcamping site. About four weeks ago we did our first wildcamp in the right side layby on the approach road to the dam, we were the only ones there and had no problems at all. The view in the morning was amazing, we are looking forward to more wild camping!

messenger 2.5td
24-12-2008, 17:12
Hi Pipps and co welcome to the site and carry on posting;)Andy

rach82
11-02-2010, 20:44
Hi

Has anybody been wilding round either Ladybower or Derwent res recently?

Are there any good spots?

Many Thanks
Rachel

Harbourmaster
19-04-2012, 08:58
I drove as far I could 'round the reservoirs recently; I spotted quite a few likely spots for wildcamping. The road doesn't actually go all the way 'round the reservoirs - it stops at the King's Tree (planted by George VI in 1945), beyond that is a rough track for cyclists and walkers.

I wouldn't park up at any of the official car parks south of Fairholmes - they're very exposed and would be more likely to be checked by the wardens. I'd be looking at anywhere on the yellow route, north of Fairholmes. The only problems I'd envisage would be (unlikely) complaints from the two or three houses/farms on the route, hassle from the National Park/Severn Trent wardens, or from the Police as the road is (officially?) closed to most traffic at weekends, to protect cyclists and walkers (Blue Badge holders are exempt).

I asked Peak District National Park staff about wildcamping in the general area, and they said that a blind-eye is normally turned, as long as any car park fees are paid and that no problems are being caused.

So, is this road private or not? The land is owned by Severn Trent, and managed by the National Park, and the moors above are National Trust.

I'd be tempted to risk it by arriving late on a Saturday night, and then move to one of the free car parks south of Fairholmes (which is 4.70 a day!) first thing on the Sunday. Alcohol would be off the menu in case of Police involvement. It's one of my favourite spots in the Peak District, and I'd love to wake up there.

Mastodon
19-04-2012, 20:48
With the current drought state you can probably park on the old village cricket pitch...

Aikidoamigo
07-11-2012, 21:18
Went up there today with a view to checking things out, checked at the cafe and they told me that none of the gates are locked at night due to the village at the top of the road requiring access.

As you say plenty of big laybyes but to be honest I didn't see any 'no camping' signs at all... like most things I suspect if you arrive when it is not busy and don't cause any trouble it could well be fine... afterall if a warden insists you move then you just move, easy, I don't suspect many of them work after 6pm anyway!:)

kimbowbill
08-11-2012, 06:42
Went up there today with a view to checking things out, checked at the cafe and they told me that none of the gates are locked at night due to the village at the top of the road requiring access.

As you say plenty of big laybyes but to be honest I didn't see any 'no camping' signs at all... like most things I suspect if you arrive when it is not busy and don't cause any trouble it could well be fine... afterall if a warden insists you move then you just move, easy, I don't suspect many of them work after 6pm anyway!:)

I'm sure the wardens have a homing device that spots you, you will be asked to move, no danger, they are very keen out there and they do work after 6, i was asked to leave last week at 7 am, Cut throat bridge is a place to stop but since a man got his head cut off in that layby i don't use it, its eerie, but it might not bother you, lol

tranivanman
08-11-2012, 08:29
hi everyone
I used to live up the derwent valley when i worked as area warden for the national trust, many of the carparks do have no overnighting and some dont, there is a layby just up from the derwent dam wall on the left, its the entrance to the forestry but there's plenty of room so as not to obstruct the entrance.
regards the road that runs under the derwent dam wall there is a road traffic order on this which means if you use it without lawfull right of access, i.e. a resident you are committing an offence under the road traffic t act and its a moving offence three points+fine, the same is true of the road up to kings tree but this only applies at w/ends and bank holidays.

Cuthroat bridge is another spot and its true someone was killed there but its name was in excistance from way before this!! so beware!!!

tranivanman

Somelier
08-11-2012, 08:40
Took this photo of a Lancaster flying over Derwent Reservoir in 1993. It was a flyby in celebration of the Dambusters' use of the valley to practice their routine.

http://www.rakm.co.uk/web_pics/lancaster_01.jpg

You'll probably remember it Bob.

tranivanman
09-11-2012, 19:07
hi richard
yes i do remember it well
and the alarms on all the cars when the vulcan came over, wow what a day, i was on the other side of the valley above fairhomes..

tranivaman

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS