PDA

View Full Version : whitby

jellybean
29-08-2008, 22:01
Good spot if you can get there late in the evening for the following day .As you drive down into whitby you will see a big sailing boat on display turn right you have a co/op on your right drive onto large pay and display car park at the back are several large bays for motorhomes, no charge after 6pm till 9am next day,then you can get a 24hr ticket for 6.00 you can be in the center off whitby in less than 2 minute walk,very popular with motorhomes

mandrake
29-08-2008, 22:15
the number of times we have been to whitby, and have never overnighted on the carpark you mention we usualy go to the car park up top of blue bank. so next time there we will try the car park in whitby cheers .

Baggins
29-08-2008, 22:57
Very well-timed info Jellybean.

I'm trecking up from the West Country next week for a first-time visit to Whitby/Scarborough area.

I'm meeting hotel based friends during the following week in Scarborough so does anyone know of a similar spot there that I could trundle back to after a convivial evening?

BW

mandrake
30-08-2008, 01:01
last time we were at Scarborough we stayed on scalby mills sealife center car park at the north bay nice little pub there to by the way . sometimes one or two vans there.

Baggins
30-08-2008, 10:05
last time we were at Scarborough we stayed on scalby mills sealife center car park at the north bay nice little pub there to by the way . sometimes one or two vans there.

Thanks for that Mandrake I'll give it a try.

BW

jellybean
30-08-2008, 21:27
just got back loads of parking ,just go up the prom past the fun fair onto the sea wall,the further you go on the more spots you will find we stayed there all night no problems .most of the pay and display on that coast works as follows .you pay from 9am till 6pm so if you arrive in the evening you dont pay till the next day ,so then thats up to you .some do a 6.00 all day charge which means it will take you till 9am the next day .make sure you go up to sandsend just above whitby its a great spot and another overnight spot good luck.

mikejay
30-10-2008, 08:44
Parked up on the whitby carpark now if its the one next to co ops carpark far end of the road over the mini roundabout theres signs saying no cooking no overnight sleeping 100 fine and they have cctv here ?:( so it dont look like you can stay here overnight.A,lso says upto 1.5 ton max? just spoke to ticket fella ok to park as long as in bay but no sleeping or cooking.

Mike

baloothebear
30-10-2008, 15:44
So that means that you were not able to satisfy your Crunchy Nuts addiction? I know that you love your Crunchy Nuts....

lenny
30-10-2008, 19:05
Very well-timed info Jellybean.

I'm trecking up from the West Country next week for a first-time visit to Whitby/Scarborough area.

I'm meeting hotel based friends during the following week in Scarborough so does anyone know of a similar spot there that I could trundle back to after a convivial evening?

BW

Dont forget to check out Robin Hoods Bay, near Whitby;), coach park in the village looks ok for a stopover or there are 2 wildspots on the moor road just above Fyling Thorpe.

Good Luck.

Wee-z
30-10-2008, 19:44
Lenny do you not get microwaved up there?:D:D

weez
Tony

lenny
30-10-2008, 19:57

weez
Tony

LOL:D No you are thinking of Fylingdale:rolleyes::D

mikejay
31-10-2008, 18:10
Stopped on the carpark till about 8pm was with a few other vans but they had all gone by then but 1 which i think stopped .Went back upto bluebank were we had stopped the night before was a bit mad in the night hail and thunder .Went into robin hoods bay spotted a nice spot on the road out of there with a camper parked up i had seen in whitby town car park they had a nice chequer plate box on the back with a genny in it great idea.:)

Mike

Stevumph
03-06-2009, 19:52
Hi
New to Campervanning and tried most of the above places but found as others remarked that though there was 24 hr parking there was no overnight kip.
The guy in the booth at the Co-op carpark at Whitby said that people regularly overnight in there but as the sign said otherwise we didn't chance it as once we have had a drinky its no good if we are asked to move on.
Thought the sea life centre would have been perfect at Scalby as we would have loved to visit the centre next day and use the pub at night,but the "no overnight stop" put us off. Do we have to be a little more cheeky or what,of course as newbies we are a bit naive.
Managed a really peaceful night in a picnic spot overlooking Robin Hoods bay as a local bobby told us the best place to wildcamp is over the moors area and they certainly wouldn't be bothering us.

kimbowbill
03-06-2009, 20:15
Hi
New to Campervanning and tried most of the above places but found as others remarked that though there was 24 hr parking there was no overnight kip.
The guy in the booth at the Co-op carpark at Whitby said that people regularly overnight in there but as the sign said otherwise we didn't chance it as once we have had a drinky its no good if we are asked to move on.
Thought the sea life centre would have been perfect at Scalby as we would have loved to visit the centre next day and use the pub at night,but the "no overnight stop" put us off. Do we have to be a little more cheeky or what,of course as newbies we are a bit naive.
Managed a really peaceful night in a picnic spot overlooking Robin Hoods bay as a local bobby told us the best place to wildcamp is over the moors area and they certainly wouldn't be bothering us.

hi

i did Scalby mill last week, it doesn't say no O/N, after 6pm is free, we had no problems at all

Jen

Chrissy
04-06-2009, 16:34
hi

i did Scalby mill last week, it doesn't say no O/N, after 6pm is free, we had no problems at all

Jen

Ditto a couple of weeks ago :confused:

Imbiber
04-06-2009, 19:06
Yep we did Scalby last weekend no problems at all; stayed Friday night to Sunday night without moving!

Checked with council Friday before setting off and if you pay to park in a coach bay at Scalby for the day (5.50) the ticket is transferable and can be used in any of the Scarborough coach parks during the vaild date.

I thinks that's great if you get fed up of the Scalby side and want to go into town, there's a coach park near the old town hall I believe, as well as a couple more on the North side.

Chrissy
04-06-2009, 20:40
Checked with council Friday before setting off and if you pay to park in a coach bay at Scalby for the day (5.50) the ticket is transferable and can be used in any of the Scarborough coach parks during the vaild date.

That's really good information, fanks V V much for that :)
Chrissy

Chrissy
15-06-2009, 08:42
Hi Peeps

Stayed on the car park overnight Saturday in the far corner near the boat yard - three vans in the party but there were probably about ten of us there - even a 30ft RV - no bother at all - probably safety in numbers. At the meter where we paid, 6 for 24hrs, there were no no-overnighting signs but at the meter by the entrance there was quite a big sign. We decided to take our chance and stayed there.
Apparently the car park is regularly used and they normally stay in a line, up against the edge, near to the Co-op car park but one that was parked up there by itself moved down close to us - as I said safety in numbers.
There were also other MH's in one of the adjacent car parks overlooking the river - a better scenic spot but we were a little wary in doing this for the first time but would try next time.
Hope this helps
Chrissy

stubby
15-06-2009, 16:12
Good spot if you can get there late in the evening for the following day .As you drive down into whitby you will see a big sailing boat on display turn right you have a co/op on your right drive onto large pay and display car park at the back are several large bays for motorhomes, no charge after 6pm till 9am next day,then you can get a 24hr ticket for 6.00 you can be in the center off whitby in less than 2 minute walk,very popular with motorhomes

i got a warning letter on my van last time i stayed here from car park attendent said no camping next time i will be fined go blue bank now

Rabbit
19-07-2009, 23:36

weez
Tony

Hi there, only if you can their electricity.

It's not like Sellerfield, it's only radar stuff. Maybe you can pick up a message from space!!

lebesset
04-08-2009, 10:16
south end of the town on the road which leads to the golf course alongside glen park

6pm to 8am free parking , specifically says coaches and HGV free parking overnight

WIGGY
10-08-2009, 21:23
just back from whitby parked up on car park 4 miles from centre i think it was called kielder car park shared it on sat night with two other vans then went to carboot sunday morn nice and handy first time in whitby busy place have to get a genny campsites are a pain and too dear

Neckender
11-09-2009, 04:39
We have just camped for 6 nights behind the fish market at Scarborough 6 for 24hours, had a trip to Bridlington, parked up at harbour car park, filled our watertank up and both had showers, then refilled tank again. Moved up to Whitby parked on long stay car park behind the Co-op stopped for 2 nights, again 6 for 24 hours.There was a Dutch camper and a Spanish camper also parked up, we filled water tank up behind the harbour masters office and both had showers. Both car parks were signposted with no sleeping or cooking, but we had no problems whatsoever.
John.

tomboy352
19-09-2009, 12:34
We have stayed in the Pavillion carpark on the cliff top immediatly to the west side of the harbour. 5 mins walk into town down the steps by Captain cook statue. Free overnight but pay during the day. Weve stayed there on perhaps 10 separate occasions. No facilities but quiet and secure.This is the carpark for the Pavillion theatre and tourists.

muppetflower
19-09-2009, 17:27
Hi everyone hope you are all well. I would just like to know has anyone camped on the the North Yorkshire Moors. We have been over them a few times some lovely pull in spots lovely views and i bet disserted at night. Just a query thanks

vera
20-09-2009, 14:10
Hi we live close to the Moors so not often we stay there but we did stay the night near Westerdale. We drove up out of Castleton and followed the first Westerdale sign and you will see a large gravel car park, a very peacefull night.
There are always vans parked near Danby Beacon that just off the road from Castleton to Kirbymoorside about 5 miles on the left out of Castleton.
If you ask you can stay at the Lion Inn on Blackey moor its a great Inn always busy with walkers, great food and you can take your dog into the pub with you.
There is also a large layby just near Hutton Le Hole, Travalling from the Lion Inn towards Hutton Le Hole it is on your Right.
WE have been going over to Chop Gate (pronounced Yat) a few weekends there are two possible spots one a large car park at the top of the bankout of Great broughton and about 5 miles further on there is a forest car park with toilets and no signs about overnight stays. Both are on the left side going from Great broughton to Helmsley.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS