PDA

View Full Version : Cemlyn Bay, North Anglsey.

Ian Barker
30-08-2008, 19:34
We had three excellent nights in the carpark at the east end of Cemlyn Bay 53 24'31.64"N 04 30'17.91"E Level hardstanding, Next to a shingle beach over the wall, No prohibitions, Lots of bird life on the reserve, Regular visits by the constabulary (Presumably patroling round the nuclea power station,which is out of sight). Access is narrow but no traffic or frights (We run an autotrail coachbuilt) Seals on the north west shore, Sunsets superb. My perfect place. :)

mandrake
30-08-2008, 19:43
hi ian welcome cemlyn bay sound a must thanks

tresrikay
04-12-2008, 19:50
We had three excellent nights in the carpark at the east end of Cemlyn Bay 53 24'31.64"N 04 30'17.91"E Level hardstanding, Next to a shingle beach over the wall, No prohibitions, Lots of bird life on the reserve, Regular visits by the constabulary (Presumably patroling round the nuclea power station,which is out of sight). Access is narrow but no traffic or frights (We run an autotrail coachbuilt) Seals on the north west shore, Sunsets superb. My perfect place. :)

Can you post a photo? sounds great.

baloothebear
05-12-2008, 09:02
There's plenty of scope for Wilding it on Anglesey. A good lurk around with Google Earth will repay you a thousand-fold.
Even in the height of the tourist season you can be lucky and find a beach of your own.

neelpeel
16-04-2009, 22:50
be caerfull there, i was kicked off there a couple of years ago by the guy who owns the house next to the road . Its national trust i believe and he was trying to get hight barriers put up! Plent of other places on Anglesey though, the road to penmon point has good laybys with top views, newborough has some parking spots, holyhead mountain/south stacks is good to name a few. been to anglesey lots, top place i love it!!

Dr Who
10-07-2010, 21:22
Hey we have just spent a couple of nights there,fantastic , with no hassle!!

The Grand Wanderer
11-07-2010, 09:17
Was there only last month. Great spot also spent some time wandering around and up Snowdon. North Wales is a wonderland of wild spots and scenery.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/shakerley/Wales%202010/DSC02217.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/shakerley/Wales%202010/DSC02221.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/shakerley/Wales%202010/DSC02229.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/shakerley/Wales%202010/DSC02230.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/shakerley/Wales%202010/DSC02232.jpg

caspar
16-07-2010, 22:45
Stayed at Cemlyn many many times, four times within the last 6 weeks as Mum was in hospital in Bangor. Never had any problems, police very friendly - yes they are checking re Nuclear Power Station, also a known spot for bringing in drugs so their nightly and often morning visits tend to put off the nasty people in boats!

Only just joined fully tonight, but know loads of places through Wales and hundreds across the UK. Will gradually post them as time allows.

louise
07-08-2010, 20:54
hi casper we have only just become full me,mbers and we are relativaley new to wild camping just donescotland for 5 weeks ,fabulous scenery but very wet.done a couple of weekends at penmon would much appreciate any info you can give us on anglesea for wild camping thanks.helen and george:)
Stayed at Cemlyn many many times, four times within the last 6 weeks as Mum was in hospital in Bangor. Never had any problems, police very friendly - yes they are checking re Nuclear Power Station, also a known spot for bringing in drugs so their nightly and often morning visits tend to put off the nasty people in boats!

Only just joined fully tonight, but know loads of places through Wales and hundreds across the UK. Will gradually post them as time allows.

maingate
07-08-2010, 20:57
Hi and welcome louise.

If you are a full member, use the search button at the top of the page. Put a key word in ie; Anglesey and all of the info that you need will appear.

Good luck.

caspar
13-08-2010, 21:03
This car park is good, but many also like the other car park at the west end. However, if you use that beware of it flooding!

caspar
13-08-2010, 21:18
hi casper we have only just become full me,mbers and we are relativaley new to wild camping just donescotland for 5 weeks ,fabulous scenery but very wet.done a couple of weekends at penmon would much appreciate any info you can give us on anglesea for wild camping thanks.helen and george:)

Hi Both,

Sorry its taken a while to reply - hopefully not too late for you. Just got back from Anglesey again this afternoon and had no internet access there!

Penmon is good - you've obviously found those spots already. Going anticlockwise round the island, and assuming you like beaches, walking etc.... visit Newborough then stay in the forestry at Maltraeth just up the road. Make sure you park in the one on the left hand side as the one on the right is locked. Just beyond there is Aberfraw where a little lane leads to a dead end with a view over a church on an island. Stayinng here is very peaceful and very few know of its existence. Plenty up round Trearddur Bay and Holyhead - drive the roads and you'll see them!

Cemlyn Bay is the next must, two car parks with the easterly one being most popular.

Cemaes Bay far car park clearly states no overnight stops, but have a word with the police who are there most afternooons and give them a cup of tea and they turn a blind eye. Similarly just up the road at White Lady Bay.

Next stop Bull Bay. The Bull Bay Hotel happilly lets you stay in their car park and lets you use their outside tap to top up water. Good for seeing dolphins!

Skip on to the car par at Bodafon Mountain - only stay an occasional night and you'll be OK, but stay as always sensitive to the locals.

Next Lligwy Bay. Go to the northerly car park and you're unlikely to be charged. Go to the southerly one and you can stay, but they charge about 10 per night. Just up the road is Moelfre with two car parks near the centre (not the Sea Watch Centre or car park by the Kinmel Arms pub), opposite each other, one with toilets.

Pentraeth is fine for stopping but little to do there other than walk. If you need more, pm me, I know loads, but these will get you round the island nicely for free.

MATS
02-06-2011, 08:44
Stayed there last weekend for one night whlist fishing. Some chap came round trying to say I should not stay there overnight but I said I was fishing overnight.......well he is not going to come back and check after midnight is he? No problems anyway. There are a few blogs on this place now but I would not worry - easy access for a van up to 25' I would say. As a side, we tend to ignore any signs in the UK - we call them 'suggestion' signs, unless there is a clear bylaw or prosecution notice saying exact amount for illegal parking, overnight camping etc, not many car parks have these type of signs when you think about it.

kimbowbill
05-06-2012, 17:30
We stayed here on 3rd June, had a visit from the chap up the road, he asked us to move, he said he was a volunteer for the NT, we had a discussion around wilding, he is a bit peeved cos he has applied to the council for a campsite but has been refused, i said we would move but asked him what he would do if we refused, he said he would call the police, :lol-053:, i told him to go do that then and informed him of the TRO, lol, in the end he said we could stay,:lol-053: he was very polite and i did sort of see his point, he said he had witnessed MH owners disposing of the toilet waste on the land, not sure i believe him but you never know these days, anyway, he was polite and we had a couple of visits from police but they just looked at the vans and think they were checking the fishermen out, who actually created more noise than anyone, its a lovely spot, again, i did my litter picking up, my dog tucked into a few chicken bones what some inconsiderate pig threw out of their window, right next to the bin, poly trays and the rest of the crap.

MORGANTHEMOON
05-06-2012, 17:39
We stayed here on 3rd June, had a visit from the chap up the road, he asked us to move, he said he was a volunteer for the NT, we had a discussion around wilding, he is a bit peeved cos he has applied to the council for a campsite but has been refused, i said we would move but asked him what he would do if we refused, he said he would call the police, :lol-053:, i told him to go do that then and informed him of the TRO, lol, in the end he said we could stay,:lol-053: he was very polite and i did sort of see his point, he said he had witnessed MH owners disposing of the toilet waste on the land, not sure i believe him but you never know these days, anyway, he was polite and we had a couple of visits from police but they just looked at the vans and think they were checking the fishermen out, who actually created more noise than anyone, its a lovely spot, again, i did my litter picking up, my dog tucked into a few chicken bones what some inconsiderate pig threw out of their window, right next to the bin, poly trays and the rest of the crap.

Nice one Kimbo.

I like it, Police bring em on no problem.

kimbowbill
05-06-2012, 18:06
Nice one Kimbo.

I like it, Police bring em on no problem.

yeah, scare tactics, but he got a bit of a shock when i told him to go call em, lol, what got us mad tho, there was a little Vdubs parked up for the night, he dint say owt to them, its discrimination to motorhomerly challenged innit? lol

forager
05-06-2012, 18:21
Sorry for being a bit thick but whats a TRO?
Thanks

Canalsman
05-06-2012, 19:33
Traffic Regulation Order - for parking restrictions to be legally enforceable, a TRO must be in force. Evidence of a TRO is often the presence of yellow lines, and parking restriction signs such as ilustrated in the Highway Code (blue background, white lettering).

forager
06-06-2012, 07:49
Traffic Regulation Order - for parking restrictions to be legally enforceable, a TRO must be in force. Evidence of a TRO is often the presence of yellow lines, and parking restriction signs such as ilustrated in the Highway Code (blue background, white lettering).

That's really handy to know thanks very much.
I suppose that would also apply to the various "no overnight parking" signs by councils etc. They are NOT legally enforceable? Or can they clamp you because it's private land? I would not stay there anyhow but I feel better for knowing the regulations. Would it be a good idea to document the full legal facts and have it on the site for members to access. (and quote when there is a problem) I like the way the guy who was going to call the Police backed down when he was challenged. I would have driven off and been upset, its really boosting my confidence reading these posts. Its a fantastic site and I'm bursting with enthusiasm to get going!
Is there any way to tell you are parked up next to a member, so you can have a chat, without rolling up a left trouser leg? (difficult when wearing shorts)

kimbowbill
06-06-2012, 09:37
That's really handy to know thanks very much.
I suppose that would also apply to the various "no overnight parking" signs by councils etc. They are NOT legally enforceable? Or can they clamp you because it's private land? I would not stay there anyhow but I feel better for knowing the regulations. Would it be a good idea to document the full legal facts and have it on the site for members to access. (and quote when there is a problem) I like the way the guy who was going to call the Police backed down when he was challenged. I would have driven off and been upset, its really boosting my confidence reading these posts. Its a fantastic site and I'm bursting with enthusiasm to get going!
Is there any way to tell you are parked up next to a member, so you can have a chat, without rolling up a left trouser leg? (difficult when wearing shorts)

Hi

We have wildcamping stickers that as a full member you are entitled to one. see this link

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/community-news/17580-wildcamping-stickers-have-arrived.html?highlight=stickers+have+arrived

There is also lots of other info about the legalalities of parking, not just on this site but if you google it you will get lots of info.

I only challenged him because i had read on here he was a bit of a NIMBY (not in my back yard) i have to say if the police had asked me to move i think i would ov, i think each and every situation should be treat differently, try doing a bit of research about the area you are visiting, like scarborough for example, there is alot of bad feeling about MH parking, you dont want someone coming and slashing your tyres in the night, also we do try to be polite and respect the residents point of view, the conversation we had was very light hearted and friendly, i wouldn't want to get into conflict with locals, we want to be seen as friendly people not a bunch of anarchists, you have to look at where you are parking and who it could be offending, another example, we parked up by a beach just for lunch, outside someones house, the occupier came back, he gave us such a look, i popped my head out the van and said we were only staying 5, i moved further up the road, but TBH, we could have stayed there, there was no signs or anything but ya just wunt do it.

caspar
06-06-2012, 10:06
The police are only from the power station so are not looking for wild campers per se.

There was signage up about overnighting, has this been removed?

kimbowbill
06-06-2012, 11:29
There is a little sign saying no camping, but it is very small print, but it is there, so maybe this needs to be removed from the POI? will let Chris decide this one, the fishermen stayed all night with no questions from the farmer, and TBH i'm not sure of his status with the NT, i wonder if he was just saying that, dunno,

Canalsman
06-06-2012, 14:12
This spot was removed from the POIs long ago ...

MATS
06-06-2012, 14:27
Just noticed this thread again - I stayed at this spot in my MH a couple of weeks ago, and yes Mr Farmer came to enquire about my intention. said I was fishing overnight and that I would be gone about 6am after high tide and he went away muttering something about his sheep....so trick is - take an old fishing rod if you have one...and spin him the tale.....and if you are a fisherman then even better.
Ps caught no fish dam...

caspar
06-06-2012, 17:39
I will make enquiries about his status within the National Trust. He told me he was recording all number plates to pass them on to the police. If that is the best thing the police have to do with their time, especially when he can't corroborate the evidence, then heaven help them. I suspect his claimed affiliation is total fabrication, but will find out for sure.

I'll also ask about how they square their policy of overnight fishing with overnight sleeping - non-confrontational of course.

caspar
08-06-2012, 06:40
A small update. I now have the telephone number of the office of the two wardens responsible for Cemlyn. I have left a message for them to call me back. I'll keep trying in the meantime, as knowing Anglesey folk, the returned call is unlikely.

Useful to at least have a number though. I never realised how hard it is to contact the National Trust until yesterday, but where there's a will, there's a way!

caspar
11-06-2012, 10:47
I have spoken at some length this morning to one of the National Trust (NT) Wardens for Cemlyn Bay, a really lovely gentleman. He explained the issues and I have some reservation posting what he said, and do so in the firm belief that all on this site are responsible wild campers who will respect the situation.

As far as the farmer goes, he is a tenant of the National Trust (NT). He represents the NT in that capacity if he speaks to you, so is entitled to ask you to move on, and although this was not said, I believe he can only therefore be entitled to ask you to move on in the same way as any other member of the public can.

The NT have a policy of not allowing Wild Camping on their ground. However, the warden was very clear that the NT does not really object to responsible wild camping. However, there have been quite a few instances of irresponsible overnighting at Cemlyn, hence the NT trying to stop it.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the car park itself is not owned by the NT, but by the council. The NT cannot, obviously, therefore stop you staying there. They do want to discourage it though, particularly due to the problems caused by some of the irresponsible idiots who have stayed there and to protect some of the rare wildlife that exists there and contributes to making it such an idealic spot.

He is going to 'have a word' with the farmer, as I explained the farmer was being over zealous and rather hasty in approaching people, and his attitude left a little to be desired at times. Hopefully this will now improve.

I've also arranged to meet him for a chat over a cup of tea regarding the issue next time I'm over in Anglesey - I'm there pretty much every month. I cannot stress enough how reasonable he was - very understanding of our side of things and hoping we would be equally understanding of the NT's side.

I think we should respect their wishes and stay clear from overnighting, but enjoy to the full during the day and evening. Purely my opinion of course.

I'll update again after I've had a chat with the warden, but at least we know the position clearly now.

mrbadger
11-06-2012, 11:08
We spent many happy years living and working around Bangor/Anglesey.
There are loads of lovely spots for wilding..
If you're using the A55 to get there, there are two spots we use regularly as overnighters..

The Travellers Rest pub and the adjacent cafe/garden centre, just past the Caerwys exit on the left. Nip into the pub, enjoy a drink or a very good meal, tell them you'd like to stay over and there is a safe carpark round the back!

Aber, between Llanfairfechan and Bangor.. Turn off the A55 and onto the old road, there's a big, level hardstanding opposite the pub. Clean. safe and quiet.

Finally, there's a very good chippy in Cemaes village. Pretty little harbour and beach too!

kimbowbill
11-06-2012, 16:50
I have spoken at some length this morning to one of the National Trust (NT) Wardens for Cemlyn Bay, a really lovely gentleman. He explained the issues and I have some reservation posting what he said, and do so in the firm belief that all on this site are responsible wild campers who will respect the situation.

As far as the farmer goes, he is a tenant of the National Trust (NT). He represents the NT in that capacity if he speaks to you, so is entitled to ask you to move on, and although this was not said, I believe he can only therefore be entitled to ask you to move on in the same way as any other member of the public can.

The NT have a policy of not allowing Wild Camping on their ground. However, the warden was very clear that the NT does not really object to responsible wild camping. However, there have been quite a few instances of irresponsible overnighting at Cemlyn, hence the NT trying to stop it.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the car park itself is not owned by the NT, but by the council. The NT cannot, obviously, therefore stop you staying there. They do want to discourage it though, particularly due to the problems caused by some of the irresponsible idiots who have stayed there and to protect some of the rare wildlife that exists there and contributes to making it such an idealic spot.

He is going to 'have a word' with the farmer, as I explained the farmer was being over zealous and rather hasty in approaching people, and his attitude left a little to be desired at times. Hopefully this will now improve.

I've also arranged to meet him for a chat over a cup of tea regarding the issue next time I'm over in Anglesey - I'm there pretty much every month. I cannot stress enough how reasonable he was - very understanding of our side of things and hoping we would be equally understanding of the NT's side.

I think we should respect their wishes and stay clear from overnighting, but enjoy to the full during the day and evening. Purely my opinion of course.

I'll update again after I've had a chat with the warden, but at least we know the position clearly now.

I said in my post i sort of agreed with the farmer, and he was very polite, unlike some i have encountered, however, i feel all members on this site are very responsible, not all are like us, and its them that give us a bad name, like i explained to the farmer, and promised him that we would leave no trace, that we did, in fact, i cleaned up someone else's mess, they were in a car, came down late at night, had their supper and chucked the rubbish out their window, why should MH's get blamed for that, i would like to visit again but wont stay overnight, i don't want to be somewhere where i feel uncomfortable, thanks for doing this tho, Caspar, gives us a chance for people to hear our views too

MATS
14-06-2012, 14:39
Thanks for this Casper....useful information indeed.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS