PDA

View Full Version : Wild Camping APP (version 2)

Admin
10-02-2015, 13:54
Welcome to the new Wild Camping app!

Download the iOS version from the iTunes store by clicking the link:

Wild Camping POI on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-camping-poi/id966182845?ls=1&mt=8)

Download the ANDROID version from the Play store by clicking the link:

Wild Camping POI on the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WildcampingPOI&hl=en)

Version 2.0
WHAT`S NEW!

New categories

Great Britain, France, Toilets & Custom *

Choose POI Set

Shows number of POIs displayed for each POI set

POI Info menu

Tap ? to show POI info in a larger font for easier reading

Extra POI Info

Now you can share extra info with Wild Camping members

POI marker icon

Each POI icon indicates the type of POI e.g. CU, LR, AF etc

* integrates with www.WildCamping.co.uk (http://www.WildCamping.co.uk) - a temporary custom POI set is available until this feature is fully implemented

iPad

iPhone

Android Tablet
Android Phone

Map markers show the type of POI

CR
Car park Rural

CU
Car park Urban

LR
Layby Rural

LU
Layby Urban

OR
Other Rural location

OU
Other Urban location

PH
Public House stopover

WC
Water Closet (public toilets)

WS
Water Standpipe (this may be outside or inside a building)

WT
Water Toilet (water available from a basin tap, for example)

AC
Aire Chargeable (France)

AF
Aire Free (France)

Map markers for the Custom POI

AG
Auto Gas

iOS: After installing and upon first running the app, you will need to allow your location to be accessed.

Android: The app will rotate and lock to whichever orientation the device is held.

Once open, you will be presented with a screen similar to above (without the menu)

At the right of the screen you will see the "locate me" button and, if you have Google Maps app installed, the Streetview Pegman.
Holding Pegman will open a Streetview of the map centre. Note that if Google has no data for that location, you will get a message asking you to cancel.

Tap the "locate me" button to centre the map on your current location.

Menus are displayed by tapping the icon in the menu bar, you can hide them by tapping another icon or anywhere on the map.

Let`s go through the different icons at the top of the screen.

From left to right they are: W, Choose POIs, Choose map, Navigation, Share location and POI Info.

W - for getting your activation code, activating/deactivating your device and checking for/downloading POIs.

Make sure you are logged in to
www.WildCamping.co.uk (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/)
by typing in your username and password
before you proceed with activation

This is the first button you should tap when starting from fresh. You`ll get this menu:

Tap "Get activation code" and your browser will open at the POI downloads page as shown below.
You will have to log in with your username and password just as normal if you haven`t already done so.

Once logged in you will see a 4 digit activation code like this:

Remember this code, we`ll need it shortly.

Go back to the app and tap "Activate this device".

You`ll be prompted for your username, which must be entered exactly as it is on the forum.

Next, enter the activation code. Finally, tap "Ok".

If everything was entered correctly, you will see this message but instead of my details, it will have yours.

Tap "Ok" to move on.

The app will check for new POIs since this is a fresh activation and a message will pop up saying the POI files are ready.

If not, there may be a message inviting you to try again.

The warning message is only precautionary. It means the file may have become corrupted during download.
You can either try again or continue anyway, the app will handle a broken POI file by reading up to that point.

The POIs are now ready to use so tap the second icon along i.e. "Choose a POI set..." and we get this menu:

Here we can choose which of the POI sets we`d like to view. You can tap any combination followed by "Ok".

The slider will allow you to choose an area from 50 to 300 square miles of the current map centre.

The selected POIs will appear on the map where they can be tapped to show their name and details.

Each POI displays an icon to indicate what type it is,
e.g. CR (car park rural), CU (car park urban), WT (water tap), AF (aire free) etc.

The menu will also display how many of each POI set are being displayed.

The next icon "Choose a map..." will show a menu like this when tapped:

There are four map styles available, Normal, Satellite, Terrain and Hybrid and also Traffic display.

Your selection will appear instantly.

Next along is "Navigation"

Tapping this will open the navigation app to give directions from your current location to the centre of the map.

If you have Google Maps installed, that will be used instead of the standard app (e.g. Apple Maps on iOS).

"Share location" is next and this is used for submitting your location to the POI database.

A requester will appear asking if you wish to share your current location.
Only use this if you wish to share your current location (i.e. where you are at the moment you tap the button).

Reply "Yes" and a fresh email will be opened. You just have to enter a Name and Details then tap "Send" - as easy as that!

If your device is connected to the internet, the email will be sent immediately.
If not, the email will stay in your your "Outgoing" folder and will automatically be sent when you have internet.
This process is automatic, you may store multiple locations in your "Outgoing" email folder.

Finally, the "?" button opens the "POI Info" menu where the POI details will be shown in a larger font for easier reading.

Below the details it says: "Tap here for more info". This will take you to the POI Extra Info section of WildCamping.co.uk.

The best way to learn is to dive in and try things. So go ahead and give it a whirl. Its brand new and as such not extensively tested so you may find little things that need fixing.
If you find any, let me know and I`ll add it to my "to-do" list for the next update.

This is only a brief introduction - I`m happy to answer your questions so don`t be shy :)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I typed in my details to activate but I get an error message

Make sure you type in your forum user name (not your email address) and the activation code from the POI download page.

I don`t see the Streetview Pegman

Install the Google Maps app and re-open this app

Here`s the Google Maps app link: Google Maps - Real-time navigation, traffic, public transport and nearby places on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-maps/id585027354)

I get a message from Google Maps saying "Cannot reach server"

This means Google has no Streetview data for the location you selected.

Can I save maps for offline use?

Yes, see here: Download and use offline areas - Maps for mobile Help (https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567)

Do I need to update the app when new POIs are ready?

No, just click the menu that says 'Check for POI updates'.

I've upgraded to full membership but I'm still getting only the free samples

It may take a little time for the system to acknowledge you as a full member.
Just keep trying by clicking 'Check for POI updates'.

When the app starts, it thinks I'm somewhere off the coast of west Africa.

This is actually Latitude 0, Longitude 0. You can tap the "locate me" button and the next time you run the app, it should remember where you are.

Could you add ....... feature? This would be a fantastic app with that!

Possibly, but let`s get this much working first :)

I went back to the old Android app and now the POIs don`t work

The old POI file was overwritten with the new, more compact POI set.

Tap "W" then "Check for POI updates" and answer "Yes" to download the POIs again.

I think I found a bug!

It happens :) If something isn't working right, please let me know.
You can either leave a message here or drop me a private message if you want to talk more technical.

Please read through this thread and make sure it hasn't already been discussed though.

cliffi
17-09-2015, 14:24
Hi could you help me as to stop spinning sceen.i have a galaxy tab 4 . Thanks cliff latham

Admin
17-09-2015, 16:27
Hi could you help me as to stop spinning sceen.i have a galaxy tab 4 . Thanks cliff latham

Hello

Please have a look at this thread: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/47213-screen-orientation-android-device.html?highlight=spinning+screen+samsung

POI Admin
14-06-2017, 15:12
Version 2.1.1 ... here:

Wild Camping POI - Android Apps on Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WildcampingPOI&hl=en)

Kajay
18-09-2017, 10:17
I have the app installed on my iPhone which works good. But, whenever I click on the ? For more info it takes me to website but ask to log in. I log in and it just directs me to the home page. I have problem of having to constantly log in even after I've ticked remember me for the Wildcamp website. Any tips please?

Admin
18-09-2017, 10:53
I have the app installed on my iPhone which works good. But, whenever I click on the ? For more info it takes me to website but ask to log in. I log in and it just directs me to the home page. I have problem of having to constantly log in even after I've ticked remember me for the Wildcamp website. Any tips please?

We recently upgraded the backend of the site and you need to clear your cookies. One the device, login then log back out again using the logout button.

Gini Hay
22-09-2017, 10:39
My app keeps saying the maximum amount of devices are being used, but I've only used it on an old phone

Admin
22-09-2017, 10:55
My app keeps saying the maximum amount of devices are being used, but I've only used it on an old phone

You currently have two Android devices and two Apple devices registered. You can manage your devices from the POI downloads page: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php

Trish1997
21-12-2017, 10:17
I've downloaded and followed the above steps and can see a few WC icons but only 2 in the south, surely there are more than these WC spots there?
What else do I have to do to make make more appear?

Trish1997
21-12-2017, 10:22
Here is the latest.

Minisorella
21-12-2017, 11:42
I've downloaded and followed the above steps and can see a few WC icons but only 2 in the south, surely there are more than these WC spots there?
What else do I have to do to make make more appear?

You've probably tried this already and have some other underlying issue, so I'm sorry if I'm preaching to the converted! :)

What I do is to click on the little man with the flag, switch on the slider button for Gt Britain, choose a radius from your location on the sliding scale then click OK.

Sometimes if it plays up, I click the big W and check for POI updates again, which usually sorts it. Good luck.

Admin
21-12-2017, 17:01
Here is the latest.

The POI database has not downloaded correctly. Please do "check for updates" then click "yes" to download the poi database again.

Trish1997
21-12-2017, 17:08
I tried the steps mentioned and said yes to downloads, then this screen appears and still only question marksin 2 places.
Any other ideas please?

Admin
21-12-2017, 17:13
I tried the steps mentioned and said yes to downloads, then this screen appears and still only question marksin 2 places.
Any other ideas please?

Hello,

You can see "?" instead of the location markers. This means that the poi download is corrupt.

Please restart the app and try the download again. You should get a success message.

Trish1997
22-12-2017, 17:46
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it but the problem still exists, please advise further?

Admin
22-12-2017, 19:25
It looks like the device was previously registered on a different user account.

Can you please:

Uninstall the app
Reboot the device
Reinstall the app
Check for updates and force the update.

Thanks

lanerboy
07-06-2018, 17:12
Hi Admin

Can you help me please I have tried to install the app on both my wife's phone and my phone I got it working on my phone but not my wife's both are android samsung phones so I deleted mine off and now I cant get it working on either phone it tells me to log in on the app to get an activation code then it redirects me to a url that is wrong or not recognised

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong

Thanks

Shawn

lanerboy
07-06-2018, 17:33
Hi
Since my last post I have now got it working on one of our phones but the other wont work says incorrect redirect when I try and log into the website??????????

lanerboy
07-06-2018, 17:43
Sorry

Its all working now not sure what was happening there but working on both phones now

thanks

deckboy
07-06-2018, 20:37
Does it work offline?

POI Admin
08-06-2018, 00:34
No - the app uses Google Maps which of course requires an internet connection.

Helzie
13-06-2018, 05:52
I thought I read somewhere that you were working on a completely new IOS app for POIs. Is that correct? Any news of when it might be available?

Simoncu
10-07-2018, 14:47
Hi, I have a oneplus android, downloaded the app, updates the pois etc.. Only problem I have a partial view of the poi's. I just see some of them in France (from Switzerland to Lyon) and the rest of France is a barren desert... :-) Tried to redownload the poi's (3 times) it does it very fast btw.. Is there a possibility to have them as a file to put somewhere on the phone manually ?
I found out that if I change the "scaling ?" on the "choose a POI set" windows it redraws the map with the pois. But that's not what I want, I'd like to have done automatically when I move the map....
ANy idea ?

Many thanks for the job, it's a great app btw. I love it !

Simon

POI Admin
10-07-2018, 15:00
Good to hear that the app is working well for you.

It is quite an old app and some things don't work quite as well as they should. You're right about refreshing the icons, it has to be done manually. If you increase the area of coverage using the slider this will reduce the frequency.

There is a much enhanced version of the app in development ...

mjvw
17-07-2018, 19:24
Running Samsung j5 android issues with pub stop POI keeps saying "problem Loading" wild camping POI's OK, also when clicking "W" icon the popup box Tiny Url is not a hyperlink just plain text so not linked to google maps (wireless connection working)

Just to confirm Wild Camping app does not work offline? just via GPS like maps.me?

I have downloaded maps.me app and this work great with loaded POI's but does not have the icon set as with Wild camping app, i have also loaded POI's on my Garmin drive 50 not tested yet should i see the Pub stop/wild camping icons when travelling on the Garmin?

Sorry for all the question new to this.

POI Admin
17-07-2018, 20:58
If the app isn't working correctly I would advise you to uninstall and reinstall. Please also ensure that Google Maps is up-to-date.

The app just have an internet connection because it interfaces to Google Maps.

In case you haven't read it the user manual can be found here:

Wild Camping APP (version 2) (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html)

Garmin devices don't show third party POIs on the base map whilst driving.

mjvw
18-07-2018, 18:52
Thanks for the reply reinstalled app and POI's now working if i have wireless or data, i must of missed something as i assumed it would work offline so if in area with no mobile service no wild camping spots can be located via the app, really is a shame it cannot be used offline as maps.me can.......... so will be juggling between apps. Also a shame garmin does not display third party poi's unable to find any reference in wild camping documentation regarding any of these issue or am i missing something?, not having a go but perhaps my expectation where a bit high regarding the app.
What stat nav would you recommend that does display the downloaded POI's and associated icon provide?

I would be interested in other forum users work around practices at planning routes?

Regards mjvw

POI Admin
18-07-2018, 21:00
There is a new version of the app under development which will address many of the shortcomings.

In the meantime maps.me is probably your best bet. It includes routing options so you might wish to try that first.

There are many different satnav options both as standalone devices or apps. None are perfect.

The newer TomTom devices have issues with third party POIs, as does the Garmin with its inability to display POIs on the base map. Snooper devices don't allow third party POIs to be loaded.

In my view apps are the best option. I use the TomTom mobile app and CoPilot for Caravans. Both work well.

Others I'm sure will contribute their views.

mjvw
19-07-2018, 18:30
Thanks for an informed reply, just looking at all the options and to the release of the new wild camping app I guess it's down to the cost of licence to use some of the base maps etc.

Admin
19-07-2018, 21:14
I got the impression that the new app had sort of lost its way.

When it arrives, unless it is going to replace both of the two existing apps, please can you make the START of its name different, so it is easy to distinguish in a list?

Yes.

shaunr68
31-07-2018, 11:11
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with version 2.1 of the Android app on a Samsung S5

When I click "Activate this device", then enter my username and activation code I get the following message:

"We seem to be offline...

Please connect to the internet"

The phone is connected to a WiFi hotspot as well as to 4G data. I am able to browse the internet so it is definitely connected.

I have tried rebooting and also tried reinstalling the app and am still getting the message. I have tried with Wifi connected and data disabled, and with Wifi disabled and data enabled to no avail.

I only joined a few days ago so if there are still things that need to be activated on my account that's fine I'm happy to wait.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks
Shaun

Admin
31-07-2018, 11:29
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with version 2.1 of the Android app on a Samsung S5

When I click "Activate this device", then enter my username and activation code I get the following message:

"We seem to be offline...

Please connect to the internet"

The phone is connected to a WiFi hotspot as well as to 4G data. I am able to browse the internet so it is definitely connected.

I have tried rebooting and also tried reinstalling the app and am still getting the message. I have tried with Wifi connected and data disabled, and with Wifi disabled and data enabled to no avail.

I only joined a few days ago so if there are still things that need to be activated on my account that's fine I'm happy to wait.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks
Shaun

Do you have any software installed that claims to be security software that may block access to the app?
Also, can you check that the app is being allowed Internet access in your security settings?

shaunr68
31-07-2018, 13:55
Do you have any software installed that claims to be security software that may block access to the app?
Also, can you check that the app is being allowed Internet access in your security settings?

Hi, I have AVG free antivirus on there, but checking the App permissions menu within AVG there are no restrictions on the Wild Camping app.

Within phone settings/Application Manager selecting the "Wild Camping POI" app there is a long list of permissions which includes full network access, view network connections, view Wi-Fi connections.

I'm a bit stumped. It is a rather old version of Android, 4.4.2.

Thanks

shaunr68
02-08-2018, 07:26
Well I finally managed to update this jalopy of a phone from Android 4.4.2 to 6.0.1 and happy to report that the WC app is now working. I had thought that the reason it was still running an old version of Android must have been because it was an old phone and therefore incompatible with a newer OS. However I have been experiencing an increasing number of problems recently with various apps that just refuse to run on it, so did a bit of research. It turns out that this particular phone was originally supplied by AT&T in the USA and for some reason these don't deliver updates as normal.

Following the instructions here - after several attempts where I was certain I'd bricked the phone - I successfully flashed the firmware and updated it to Marshmallow 6.0.1

Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware on AT&T Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A) | DroidViews (https://www.droidviews.com/install-android-6-0-1-marshmallow-firmware-on-att-galaxy-s5-active-sm-g870a/)

Now the Wild Camping app works, as do the Tesco Mobile app, the AIB bank app and various other bits of software that had previously refused to co-operate with a 19th century phone.

Happy days! Now just have to turn off all the annoying features that they were sure we couldn't live without.

Admin
10-08-2018, 09:40
I have exactly the same symptom as shaunr68.

I have Lookout AV installed, but it doesn't seem to have (at least in the free version I have) any options to prohibit access to the network or stop Apps working. The app is allowed permission to access the network.

My Android versions are 4.4.4 (phone) and 4.2.2 (tablet)

Graham
It looks like Android will require updating on your devices to enable the services.

shaunr68
10-08-2018, 23:06
I have exactly the same symptom as shaunr68.

I have Lookout AV installed, but it doesn't seem to have (at least in the free version I have) any options to prohibit access to the network or stop Apps working. The app is allowed permission to access the network.

My Android versions are 4.4.4 (phone) and 4.2.2 (tablet)

Graham

Hi Graham, I'd begin by looking at why your devices aren't offering Android updates. In my case my phone's original supplier had for some reason disabled major updates, the phone itself was perfectly capable of running 6.0.1, I just had to update it manually. Which was a bit scary. :D

How to Update Android - Tech Advisor (https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/update-android-3614890/)

samleeds
13-08-2018, 08:14
Ive just about got the gist of it now but the auto gas symbol seems to be nowhere to be found, is this an upgrade or a pay to view issue. Ive got 5 ag near me and none show

Admin
13-08-2018, 10:57
Ive just about got the gist of it now but the auto gas symbol seems to be nowhere to be found, is this an upgrade or a pay to view issue. Ive got 5 ag near me and none show

The autogas locations are not available anymore in the wild camping database.

Lazlo
06-09-2018, 11:09
Hi Phil have downloaded POI on android but when I clic on I don't get any co ords ?what am I doing wrong

Admin
06-09-2018, 17:23
Hi Phil have downloaded POI on android but when I clic on I don't get any co ords ?what am I doing wrong

To get the Coords you need to click on the POI and then on the ?.

OldAgeTravellers
22-09-2018, 12:07
I removed the old app and installed the new version, it installed ok but will not register.
Java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/data/com.Wildcamping/cache/3:open failed:ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Tried many times, reinstalled the app, restarted the android tablet, cleared the cache.
The map shows user name but will not activate.
I cleared both android devices from the registration part of the website still no go.
Then I found that the app was online only so really not a lot of good. I thought the second incarnation was going to be off-line.
So it is back to Maps.Me which works great off-line. and allows it to run as a moving map with a journey trace, not as good as AutoRoute bet nearly.
If you do develop an offline version can it use the same maps as Maps.Me as to have to full Europe and Scandinaviour maps loaded is too much space.
I appreciate that this is a private development of an app but not everybody either has or wants to have data being used all the time when away.
When I am stopped then i load Autoroute on the laptop and have a much nicer experience.
Steve

Admin
22-09-2018, 18:54
I removed the old app and installed the new version, it installed ok but will not register.
Java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/data/com.Wildcamping/cache/3:open failed:ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Tried many times, reinstalled the app, restarted the android tablet, cleared the cache.
The map shows user name but will not activate.
I cleared both android devices from the registration part of the website still no go.
Then I found that the app was online only so really not a lot of good. I thought the second incarnation was going to be off-line.
So it is back to Maps.Me which works great off-line. and allows it to run as a moving map with a journey trace, not as good as AutoRoute bet nearly.
If you do develop an offline version can it use the same maps as Maps.Me as to have to full Europe and Scandinaviour maps loaded is too much space.
I appreciate that this is a private development of an app but not everybody either has or wants to have data being used all the time when away.
When I am stopped then i load Autoroute on the laptop and have a much nicer experience.
Steve

The new app V3 does use open street maps offline. I have set up our own mapping servers and offline map download system. The app is not finished yet but I am working as fast as I can to get it there. So that the app is delivered sooner V3.0.1 will still use the existing POI database.

maingate
08-10-2018, 15:49
I cannot download the POI app on this new computer. I get the following message: You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account

Under 'troubleshooting' I get this.

I'm trying to install an app onto this computer

Other than some Chromebooks which run the Google Play Store, apps from Google Play can't be installed on most computers. Try visiting the recommended app store for your device instead:

Can someone help please, if I had hair I would be tearing it out. :(

Admin
08-10-2018, 15:51
I cannot download the POI app on this new computer. I get the following message: You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account

Under 'troubleshooting' I get this.

I'm trying to install an app onto this computer

Other than some Chromebooks which run the Google Play Store, apps from Google Play can't be installed on most computers. Try visiting the recommended app store for your device instead:

Can someone help please, if I had hair I would be tearing it out. :(

We don't use the PC app anymore, you can just download the POI zip file directly.

maingate
08-10-2018, 17:28
Thanks Phil. My Garmin is sorted but for some reason Google Earth is not showing the poi's.

Did I mention that I hate W10? :(

Admin
08-10-2018, 20:14
Thanks Phil. My Garmin is sorted but for some reason Google Earth is not showing the poi's.

Did I mention that I hate W10? :(

I got a new toughpad this year and I downgraded it to windows 7.

maingate
08-10-2018, 22:30
I got a new toughpad this year and I downgraded it to windows 7.

I don't know what a toughpad is (I suspect Touchpad) but please tell me I can downgrade W10 to W7 on an Acer Swift Netbook. :help:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS