PDA

View Full Version : Tyres again

cipro
12-02-2015, 16:50
Popular size is 215/70/15C my michelin xc tread ok but there are wall cracking and they are 7 years old so I'm looking for change when we buy tryes from here will they have camping on the side of the tyre,
also ive seen online when I put tyre size in it shows van tryes are they the same as camping.:mad1:

mossypossy
12-02-2015, 16:58
Camping tyres apparently have stiffened sidewalls to cope with the increased pressure and having to stand unused for some time

Just fitted Michelin Camping on mine

Best price I found was Kwik Fit!....mobile fitter comes to you

Not much choice in lower priced Camping specific tyres though

Depends on your van and weight. Mine is 4.5 tonnes

Jimhunterj4
12-02-2015, 17:01
Me too mitchelin camping 4.5 tonne van 120 each fitted and balanced

Debs
12-02-2015, 17:02
I normally try to replace my tyres with 'Light truck tyres' they have the load ratings on the sidewall, probably constructed much the same as a camper tyre.:D

campertwo
12-02-2015, 17:02
Be very careful on fitting just normal van tyres. Not sure what vehicle you have but for motorhomes they need to be different due to the different weights involved & use? I've just fitted Continental 'Vanco' tyres as were fitted before. Slighly softer compound than Mitchelin for better grip. Motorhomes & camper tyres will generally suffer from sidewalls cracking after about 5 years, because low mileage is normal. Unusual if the tread is worn out first!

cipro
12-02-2015, 17:08
My is 3.5 tonne I'll shop around I've got a month before mot which I think the tryes will pass I'm just concerned about the trye walls and also spending 10 weeks in Europe this which I've never done before looking forward to that :scooter:

campertwo
12-02-2015, 17:11
I've had 'Event tyres' fit several tyres for me over the years. Best prices for Continental & they fit them at your home or workplace! :have fun:

El Veterano
12-02-2015, 17:29
We had Continental Vanco Camping tyres as standard fitment on Fiat Chausson. When they perished I went for the Michelin Agilis Camping, which are mud & snow rated. I can assure you that they are a softer tyre than the Continental tyre, they grip better in all conditions (including snow), they are quieter than the Continentals and the they have given us 3 more MPG on average. The downside is they are usually more expensive than Continentals and it looks like they are going to wear out quicker as well (as I would have expexted with the better grip). But a far better tyre, and when they wear out that is what I will be replacing them with. Incidentally as for cracking of sidewalls, while I was at it I bought 4 wheel covers to be used when the camper is parked up for any length of time (which isn't very often!). It remains to be seen if they are going to extend the life of the tyres so far as cracking is concerned, I will keep you posted.

campertwo
12-02-2015, 17:48
I may have to look at those on the next replacement, I keep covers over them also, cheers!

PinkFlowerPetal
12-02-2015, 21:02
Just before Christmas I purchased Michelin Agilis Camping mud and snow tyres online from Tyre Leader for 104 each - dead chuffed with them!

cipro
13-02-2015, 07:05
Just before Christmas I purchased Michelin Agilis Camping mud and snow tyres online from Tyre Leader for 104 each - dead chuffed with them!

I think I will go with mich Agilis and on My tyres site they are 98 each I'll get them sorted this month thanks to all the replays

happy camping

pheasantplucker
13-02-2015, 20:00
We had Continental Vanco Camping tyres as standard fitment on Fiat Chausson. When they perished I went for the Michelin Agilis Camping, which are mud & snow rated. I can assure you that they are a softer tyre than the Continental tyre, they grip better in all conditions (including snow), they are quieter than the Continentals and the they have given us 3 more MPG on average. The downside is they are usually more expensive than Continentals and it looks like they are going to wear out quicker as well (as I would have expexted with the better grip). But a far better tyre, and when they wear out that is what I will be replacing them with. Incidentally as for cracking of sidewalls, while I was at it I bought 4 wheel covers to be used when the camper is parked up for any length of time (which isn't very often!). It remains to be seen if they are going to extend the life of the tyres so far as cracking is concerned, I will keep you posted.

Do you find that the expected lower annual mileage of a motorhome tends to narrow the gap between treads wearing out of a winter tyre and sidewall cracking making them unserviceable? No-one likes ditching tyres with a few usable mm of tread left, but if the sidewalls and treads go at about the same time and the benefit has been better grip, that is a bonus.

El Veterano
14-02-2015, 18:47
Do you find that the expected lower annual mileage of a motorhome tends to narrow the gap between treads wearing out of a winter tyre and sidewall cracking making them unserviceable? No-one likes ditching tyres with a few usable mm of tread left, but if the sidewalls and treads go at about the same time and the benefit has been better grip, that is a bonus.

I've never really had an issue with the sidewalls cracking, the cracks have nearly always appeared between the treads, but the end result has always been the same - ie bin the tyre. However I think that by covering the tyres when the MH is not in use, particularly in the summer months, should almost eliminate the tyres cracking within their lifespan, and therefore the deciding factor will be tread wear. Before covering my tyres (which I have only done since last summer) I cannot recall getting rid of a tyre because of tread wear, it has always been because of the rubber perishing. This does take a few years normally, and normally on a MH after that time there is still loads of tread left. Time will tell whether the tyre covers pay for themselves or not I suppose.

Mastodon
14-02-2015, 20:10
Try 'black circles'. Cheaper than Costco...

Polar Bear
14-02-2015, 21:43
Has anyone tried to paint their tyres to protect them from sunlight/cracking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1rMoSVgBs

Frost Liquid Wrap Matt BLACK Rubber Coating Aerosol Spray(400ml) Plasti, car dip | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frost-Liquid-Wrap-Matt-BLACK-Rubber-Coating-Aerosol-Spray-400ml-Plasti-car-dip-/141564391078?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item20f5e52ea6)

johnnee51
19-02-2015, 21:09
I buy my tyres on Ebay, had problems for years until I fitted high pressure valves, the old rubber valves kept blowing out and damaging the tyres.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS