PDA

View Full Version : London. Our London?

iampatman
24-02-2015, 19:55
Anyone else on here from London? I mean born in London. Lived in London in the '50s, '60s, '70s ?
Read this and weep.

The city that privatised itself to death | Ian Martin | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/24/the-city-that-privatised-itself-to-death-london-is-now-a-set-of-improbable-sex-toys-poking-gormlessly-into-the-air)

Pat

anjou
24-02-2015, 20:38
yep im a londoner,still proud to be so, born in Lewisham se13, lived in Eltham then in Ladywell, after many years in the Midlands i felt the calling and moved back down to Weybridge, I think London has just moved with the times, ive never been an Oxford st.or tourist area type of person, to me London is the less known but charming areas, the back streets, basically London is still London town and is what you want it to be, but it is crowded and France isnt !! Maybe thats why there are another two couples from the smoke in this village in the Loire valley !

iampatman
24-02-2015, 21:03
yep im a londoner,still proud to be so, born in Lewisham se13, lived in Eltham then in Ladywell, after many years in the Midlands i felt the calling and moved back down to Weybridge, I think London has just moved with the times, ive never been an Oxford st.or tourist area type of person, to me London is the less known but charming areas, the back streets, basically London is still London town and is what you want it to be, but it is crowded and France isnt !! Maybe thats why there are another two couples from the smoke in this village in the Loire valley !

I think the point that Ian Martin is trying to make is that London has not so much moved with the times but sold out. Ok, London always was a whore but until the '70s you had to pay her to spread her legs and if she didn't like the look of you she wouldn't even take off her nightdress. Now she permits the most disgusting acts to be performed upon her although I suspects she weeps even as she is abused.
There's no mention of Oxford street or tourism in the article I linked to, far less charming areas.
Pat
ps I'll give you SE13 (just) but Eltham, Ladywell, Weybridge, nah, that ain't London.

dippingatoe
24-02-2015, 21:04
Okay you Londoners. Where is the worlds very best Pie n Mash shop

I had never eaten it before and am into new experiences so had some in Tony's at Waltham Abbey (I was nearby) and I have to say all I could really taste was the salt. I specifically took out a bit of the mince filling and was not sure if it was beef or soya.

There must be a really good one somewhere?

Fish and Chips can be jolly tasty, and Faggots and Peas, I like Haggis and Neeps and Tatties, Sausage and Mash with onion gravy yum. I had Scouse in Liverpool and that was good. So where can I get REALLY delicious Pie n Mash.

anjou
24-02-2015, 21:21
Cookes in Shepherds Bush for Pie and Mash and Liquor !
Cant stand it myself :-)
Ladywell is se13 as well, and Eltham is se9 , both only ten minutes from London Bridge station :-) my dad was born within the Bow Bells ,proper Cockney boy! And I was born in Lewisham general ,think that qualifies me as a London geezer :-)

snowbirds
25-02-2015, 05:46
Hi dippingatoe,

Try Manze's in Walthamstow high street first opened in 1929, is now grade two listed.
When I was an apprentice in Smithfield Market I was sent on the trade bike to Exmouth Market to Clarks pie & mash shop back in the 60's.

Snowbirds.:dance:

I had never eaten it before and am into new experiences so had some in Tony's at Waltham Abbey (I was nearby) and I have to say all I could really taste was the salt. I specifically took out a bit of the mince filling and was not sure if it was beef or soya.

Fish and Chips can be jolly tasty, and Faggots and Peas, I like Haggis and Neeps and Tatties, Sausage and Mash with onion gravy yum. I had Scouse in Liverpool and that was good. So where can I get REALLY delicious Pie n Mash.

kenspain
25-02-2015, 06:34
Come from Bermondsey the Old Kent Road started life in Guys Hospital many years ago stated work with my family at 14 years old in east street Market :wave:

anjou
25-02-2015, 06:49
Hi Ken, the partitioning firm I worked for around the city had its office in Mill St, bermondsey near Jamaica Rd, and my very good friend and French neighbour was leading fireman at Bermondsey fire station !

drewdt3
25-02-2015, 07:35
I've been working in London all week and I think, but not sure, that I spotted a couple of Londoners.

Sharon the Cat
25-02-2015, 11:06
I was born in the front bedroom of number # Sandringham Crescent in Harrow. When I was born it was in Middlesex. Friends in Hertfordshire didn't believe me because I pronounced the H at the beginning!
I have also live in Kennington Lane in Vauxhall & Chester Square, Belgravia.
I don't miss it one jot & have no desire to go back.

n brown
25-02-2015, 11:12
not a real Londoner ,i'm from Ealing ,but lived in Putney,Hackney,Mortlake, Twickenham,Heston,Uxbridge,Earl's Court , Baron's Court, Streatham, Battersea,St John's Wood,Kensington,Bayswater, etc . i go there now as a tourist visiting a theme park,which is what it is .

mark61
25-02-2015, 12:45
Archway, no intention of moving at the moment. :)

Obanboy666
25-02-2015, 12:56
Been once, won't be going back.
I live on the edge of a small city / town and cannot wait to get out in my motorhome away from the bricks and concrete. Countryside for me, beats any city that I've ever visited.
Would love to sell up and move to the countryside but cannot pluck up the courage to sell the family house, perhaps one day I will do it.

iampatman
25-02-2015, 14:08
Archway, no intention of moving at the moment. :)

My old stamping ground! Lived at 784 Holloway Road for a good few years.

Pat

mark61
25-02-2015, 14:29
Right opposite the Mother Red Cap? Are you mad, lol ;)
Unfortunately Thomas Bro's packed up this year, the Lion gone too, yes, another coffee shop.

hextal
25-02-2015, 15:56
Been once, won't be going back.
I live on the edge of a small city / town and cannot wait to get out in my motorhome away from the bricks and concrete. Countryside for me, beats any city that I've ever visited.
Would love to sell up and move to the countryside but cannot pluck up the courage to sell the family house, perhaps one day I will do it.

Spent most of my yoof in the country then moved to Leeds for work.

Anyway, I'm not a person who relaxes particularly, even when on holiday. Last year I spent a week and a bit in a small boathouse just north of portree on Skye, right in the middle of nowhere. Don't think I've been so relaxed for a good few decades. Coming home we spent a few days in aviemore then a few in Glasgow.

Each time I got to a place with more people I could just feel myself tensing back up again.

I like London but I just find it very unrelaxing. But I suspect I'm not a people person.

iampatman
25-02-2015, 19:09
Right opposite the Mother Red Cap? Are you mad, lol ;)
Unfortunately Thomas Bro's packed up this year, the Lion gone too, yes, another coffee shop.

Thomas Bros was an institution. Mother Red Cap was bonkers, as was the Archway Tavern!! I worked in the Old Crown opposite St Joseph's for a few years. Started work for Hall & Co as it was in those days opposite the Wellington. Learnt to play darts, dominoes and crib in that pub. Happy days.
Pat

Deleted user 21925
25-02-2015, 19:23
Thomas Bros was an institution. Mother Red Cap was bonkers, as was the Archway Tavern!! I worked in the Old Crown opposite St Joseph's for a few years. Started work for Hall & Co as it was in those days opposite the Wellington. Learnt to play darts, dominoes and crib in that pub. Happy days.
Pat

I have frequented the Archway Tavern a few years back, in fact I quite liked the Holloway rd area for a drink when I used to work in London.

iampatman
25-02-2015, 19:55
I have frequented the Archway Tavern a few years back, in fact I quite liked the Holloway rd area for a drink when I used to work in London.

Lads used to come round with a collection tin for the IRA in the Archway Tavern on a Sunday morning in the late '60s. It was policy to drop a coin or two in to avoid any aggro.
Pat

Deleted user 21925
25-02-2015, 20:15
Lads used to come round with a collection tin for the IRA in the Archway Tavern on a Sunday morning in the late '60s. It was policy to drop a coin or two in to avoid any aggro.
Pat

I think it carried on a bit later than the 60's. Luckily, whenever I went in, I was accompanied by a few select Irish Gentle men, who made sure I was ok!

roamingman
26-02-2015, 09:28
I was born in Hoxdon Shordich 4 Fairbank Street, within the sound of Bow bells so A Cockney and still proud of it.

mark61
26-02-2015, 11:25
Carried on till mid 80's in most pubs on Holloway Rd.
Archway Tavern has gone right down hill, abandoned by locals for a while now.
Hall & Co eventually taken over by one of the big groups in the 90's.
Theres at least 1000 new flats coming in the area in next few years, the A1 will have to turned into pavement. :)

Good old Mother Red Cap is still kicking though. Thankfully lol

Tezza33
26-02-2015, 14:01
Maggy was born in Peckham, when we were first together she used to tell me tales of how life was growing up there and it didn't sound anything like the London I knew from visiting so when we were setting off to France in the mid eighties we decided to spend a few days in Peckham on the way, it turned out to be a few hours instead of days and was a big disappointment to both of us, we have never been back since.

elfish
26-02-2015, 15:10
Carried on till mid 80's in most pubs on Holloway Rd.
Archway Tavern has gone right down hill, abandoned by locals for a while now.
Hall & Co eventually taken over by one of the big groups in the 90's.
Theres at least 1000 new flats coming in the area in next few years, the A1 will have to turned into pavement. :)

Good old Mother Red Cap is still kicking though. Thankfully lol

Intrepid Fox took over Archway Tavern a fair few months ago now.

Got an email with details about the proposed change of Archway gyratory.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/betterjunctions/archway-junction?cid=archway-gyratory

I'm slap bang between archway and crouch end. Tend to prefer crouch end for a quick drink than Archway nowadays.

I'm not against it... it just means a longer walk to the 134/43 bus stops!

mark61
26-02-2015, 16:19
Yes, I was pleased when they took over, but what a mess they have made of it. Been there a few times since they took over, went there a few weeks ago to see an ACDC tribute band. Fiver in, and only one tap was on. Fridges virtually empty, just bottled beer and shots. So I left. Must have serious money problems as they stock up from local shops, so I can only guess wholesalers won't deal with them.

elfish
26-02-2015, 17:15
Know what you mean. Went there a couple of weeks ago. Similar experience (sex pistols tribute, 5 entrance).

Nothing on tap at all! Cans only - 3.50 a pop!

Bartender said problem with delivery. Pissed off the brewery more like.

The Intrepid was my regular when it was in Wardour Street.

Shame really. I thought it was going to be handy - much shorter walk than Big Red.

loulou
27-02-2015, 09:21

I know you mentioned 'pie n mash' but much better than that and pulled pork is Hot salt beef, juicy and tender, piled high on freshly baked caraway/rye bread, smeard with english mustard, and topped with a sweet pickled gherkin,:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: yummie. Where?

The 24hour/7day open Bagel bakery at 159 Brick Lane, London E1 6SB, always a queue to outside, even at 3 in the morning when the clubbers jump in a taxi for a tasy comfort fix.

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

sasquatch
27-02-2015, 09:41
OK to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

n brown
27-02-2015, 09:50
when i was working in Covent Garden,there was a stall that sold only sausage and raw onion sandwiches in doorstep slices of bread , used to enjoy standing there at 3 am ,chatting to the porters and watching the dodgy goings on !

dippingatoe
27-02-2015, 15:36
I know you mentioned 'pie n mash' but much better than that and pulled pork is Hot salt beef, juicy and tender, piled high on freshly baked caraway/rye bread, smeard with english mustard, and topped with a sweet pickled gherkin,:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: yummie. Where?

The 24hour/7day open Bagel bakery at 159 Brick Lane, London E1 6SB, always a queue to outside, even at 3 in the morning when the clubbers jump in a taxi for a tasy comfort fix.

Sounds good, as long as I don't have to stay up until 3am to get one :) And Brick Lane sounds like the sort of place I should take a look at anyway.

I really need to find somewhere to park up close to a good train service into London, Don't mind paying but I thought the one at Lee Valley was bit on the expensive side. There are so many places I would like to see in London, but if anyone has some really interesting ones let me know.

Mother Redcap's sounded interesting. I looked it up and apparently there are a few pubs named that. Mother Redcap being an old pseudonym for a witch - after the Fly Agaric mushroom - Amanita muscaria

Deleted user 21925
27-02-2015, 16:24
I was probably in the same place at the same time as you at some point David!

Deleted user 21925
27-02-2015, 16:26

Been there many a time Lou! Salt Beef was a must on a Sunday morning, and yes, loads of Mustard and Wallies! We still make it at home now.

loulou
27-02-2015, 20:10
Been there many a time Lou! Salt Beef was a must on a Sunday morning, and yes, loads of Mustard and Wallies! We still make it at home now.

I always knew you are a seasoned traveller and have great taste:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

:wave::wave:

1 Cup
27-02-2015, 20:51
Goddards Deptford high street not menzies. pie and mash, ave a steamed pudding on the side,
Try the chilli vinegar with there Liquor. SAME family run it for 100 year
Who said shredded pork is salt beef ? PML THERE RELIGIOUS NO PORK SOLD in the best one,
barrow boy from Lewisham high street, Capital of London
Still laughing at pork= beef?......

Deleted user 21925
28-02-2015, 07:27
................Who said shredded pork is salt beef ? PML THERE RELIGIOUS NO PORK SOLD in the best one,

Don't quite follow you there. I don't think anybody said shredded Pork is Salt Beef?

kenspain
28-02-2015, 07:42
Goddards Deptford high street not menzies. pie and mash, ave a steamed pudding on the side,
Try the chilli vinegar with there Liquor. SAME family run it for 100 year
Who said shredded pork is salt beef ? PML THERE RELIGIOUS NO PORK SOLD in the best one,

Goddards Dartford 2nd that Barrow Boy East Street Market Bermondsey south London :lol-049::lol-049:

Sky
28-02-2015, 12:58
I was born and bred in London too (Newham, Borough and Bermondsey). The London I knew doesn't exist any more. :(

Best pie & mash is Arment's just off the Walworth Road: http://armentspieandmash.com

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS