PDA

View Full Version : Sanna Bay and Arnamurchan

Shuftie
28-02-2015, 15:09
Hi. Is it possible to camp at or near Sanna Bay? We're just planning our summer hols and after a few days on Mull we really fancy the remoteness of Ardnamurchan. Any wise words welcome.:D

delicagirl
28-02-2015, 15:14
when i was in Dumfries last December I had several people tel l me how stunning a place ardnamurcan is... I intend to go when I am in Scotland this summer

good luck and do come back and tell us how you get on

sparrks
28-02-2015, 15:19
Last time I was at Sanna there were numerous no overnight/camping signs. Knowing these signs were not 'official' I still chose not to park there that night I stayed at the lighthouse instead which was a bit noisy with the wind turbine.

sparrks
28-02-2015, 15:40
Just checked the Google Earth POI's and there's no Pushpin but there is a car park there and looks good enough ... :-) IMHO ?

Lovely Part of the world.

I've often heard of folks tenting in that area but never done it myself.

It does look good enough, I moved on due to the close proximity of some houses and the openness of it all. I'm only guessing but it wouldn't surprise me if the local area got abused at peak times.

Shuftie
28-02-2015, 17:37
It does look good enough, I moved on due to the close proximity of some houses and the openness of it all. I'm only guessing but it wouldn't surprise me if the local area got abused at peak times.

I did have a look at the the POI's and the absence of a pushpin made me wonder about the welcome. My wife holiday'd there in the 70's which is one reason we'd like to visit. I suspect there are some spots further back inland on the Sanna Rd but its always nice to have a sea view. Also the north Ardnamurchan coast looks wild and fab.

We're spending a few days on Mull before and I was surprised how few "proper" campsites there are there, made me wonder whether that increases the amount of wildcamping and perhaps consequential frustration from local folk.

delicagirl
28-02-2015, 17:42
whats a pushpin ?

frontslide
28-02-2015, 18:48
I did have a look at the the POI's and the absence of a pushpin made me wonder about the welcome. My wife holiday'd there in the 70's which is one reason we'd like to visit. I suspect there are some spots further back inland on the Sanna Rd but its always nice to have a sea view. Also the north Ardnamurchan coast looks wild and fab.

We're spending a few days on Mull before and I was surprised how few "proper" campsites there are there, made me wonder whether that increases the amount of wildcamping and perhaps consequential frustration from local folk.

We stayed here when we visited Ardnamurchan last May.

LR Loch Sunart (B8007) (Highland)
Then next day drove round the coast to here
CR Dorlin / Castle Tioram (Highland)
Next night we stayed here and had a really nice meal
PH Glenuig (Glenuig Inn) (Highland) :cool:

Road down to Castle Tioram quite tight though we have a Toyota Hiace.

POI Admin
28-02-2015, 18:57
I suspect there are some spots further back inland on the Sanna Rd ...

I have just added some to the new POI release for March which will be available soon :D

POI Admin
28-02-2015, 18:59
whats a pushpin ?

Pushpins show up on Google Earth to mark POI locations - just like a pushpin you'd use in a cork board on the wall ...

Shuftie
28-02-2015, 20:04
whats a pushpin ?

On the google earth POI map it's the little red marker that identifies a camping spot, looks like a plastic capped notice board pin. :lol-053:

UK Grey Nomads
28-02-2015, 20:30
Check out our web site Home (http://www.ukgreynomads.co.uk) for our stops on the Ardnamuchan last year. Fantastic time there.

kernewek
28-02-2015, 21:44
There are some really good POI's further east from Sanna and other possibilities for wilding. The car park is close to houses and has been abused by the inconsiderate few, making life difficult for the rest of us. Same old, same old.

John Thompson
01-03-2015, 07:10
I often spent time near Glenuig. The last time I was there, 2008, the layby was occupied by a dilapidated static van with broken windows and gas bottles strewn about. There was also a scrap transit. Someone had attempted to close the layby with a rough gate and fence. This was a fantastic spot ruined.

I was there a few years earlier and a friend in County Durham wanted to contact me. He called in our local police station and they passed a message to Malaig Police who phoned the landlady of the pub and she walked up to the layby to pass the message on. This took 20 minutes from him going into the police station, to me phoning him from the telephone box by the pub.

I love this area.

jann
01-03-2015, 12:14
A very nice area . We have seen old caravans parked up there, different places in different years

kernewek
01-03-2015, 14:48
Check out our web site Home (http://www.ukgreynomads.co.uk) for our stops on the Ardnamuchan last year. Fantastic time there.

Brilliant! Well done!

christine
01-03-2015, 15:07
UK Grey Nomads, loved your web site! Recognised many places we had stopped at during our trips to Scotland. Shall return to read more as I have you book marked now!

Shuftie
02-03-2015, 21:17
Dear wildcampers, thanks for the fantastically quick and helpful advice. What an effective forum! Really appreciated.;)

bongovanman
03-03-2015, 00:32
lovely place..visited a few years ago in a swb transit.not far from ferry taking a left you could get onto an old rd .there was a gate but always open to allow van onto beach stunning setting .then onto lochaline for another night 3rd night at kilchoan hotel where the landlord cliff allows you to park for night and use washroms if needed for a small fee..passed by sanna bay bt no time for another night will be there this year and would recommend area .had no probs parking for night anywhere )

judierob
05-03-2015, 09:39
All the laybys on Mull were blocked off last time we visited about 4 years ago because they had had a lot of gypsies on the island. There was a dismal campsites near Tobermory and a fab one overlooking Iona on a farm, practically on the beach, cheapish but not free but heavenly in the right weather. Also close to the ferries to Iona and Staffa, both well worth visiting. Also a quaint one on the top of the island where the public loos are looked after by neighbours with fresh flowers curtains etc., Free camping on the inlet opposite.

We also spent a night near to the harbour in Tobermory but I don't think it was officially allowed. Ardnamurchan was really beautiful and we found quite a lot of camping spots, can't remember the locations by name but no problem finding one. I am not sure about the parking being free at Sanna Bay but it is a lovely spot.

Pugs
14-05-2015, 12:26
Just to reiterate in Scotland unless there is a proven byelaw which should be clearly displayed or proven , there are no enforceable 'no camping' they are advisory and the Highlands council should have taken them all down..the yellow signs are also advisory. So if asked then ask for byelaw proof that there is 'no camping' enforced, otherwise dont worry.

dydigital
27-05-2015, 21:55
Sorry only just noticed this topic or would of replied soon. There are there is four places Within 2-4 miles of sanna beach where you can pull of the road far enough for them to be usable. Also at least a dozen sites between Salen and kilchoan to many to list in detail but if you want to search my previous posts or message me.

dydigital
27-05-2015, 21:59
Also the owner at the Sonachan Hotel let's people stay on flat ground in the grounds of the hotel. Some facilities. Return the favour and buy a pint or two....

Captain Biggles
27-05-2015, 23:47
Ah! the lighthouse at Ardnamurchan Point, idyllic, tranquil and peaceful, what a location ......... but beware, we stayed there two years ago, arrived on a fine July evening ~6pm ate, drank wine and watched the sun go down.

Bedded down for the night and noticed that there was a little wind blowing ...... then later that night ... slightly more than a 'little wind', if fact the MH was getting buffeted around something wrotten.

It got worse & worse and in the wee small hours I listened to the Shipping Forecast on BBC Radio 4 just out of curiosity .... "Ardnamurchan Gale Force Winds 8-9 gusting 10" .... Bugger! didn't like the sound of that and certainly didn't want to be perched up on high right next to the lighthouse, so woke SHMBO suggesrting that she gets dressed in something waterproof, grab a torch and see me back whilst I reverse in my nice warm cab.

We followed the single track down and took refuge in the lee of the massive lump of rock immediately next to the 'Visitor Centre Shop', what a relief.

And the moral of the story is .... the weather can change v.quickly at times, so if you're daft enough to park in an elevated position right next to a lighthouse with a clear view out towards the Atlantic or similar large expanse of open water, just have a listen to the Shipping Forecase on BBC Radio 4 before you settle down for the night :wacko:

Captain Biggles :plane:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS