PDA

View Full Version : Motorhome Steps

shadyzzz
03-03-2015, 08:57
Motorhome Steps Electric Motorhome Steps or not ?? thoughts please thinking of it but are they worth it ......:drive:

dippingatoe
03-03-2015, 09:01
Mine came already fitted and I LOVE them. Wouldnt be without them now. The have a failsafe whihc pulls them in if you start the engine without remembering to have put the switch in the correct position - great

izwozral
03-03-2015, 09:07
Electric steps are great, mine screams like a banshee if you engage ignition if steps are out.

maingate
03-03-2015, 09:11
Motorhome Steps Electric Motorhome Steps or not ?? thoughts please thinking of it but are they worth it ......:drive:

We had an electric step on our last van but found an ordinary Double step worked better. Similar to this one Kampa Step Up Two Caravan Double Step - Johns Cross Motorcaravan and Camping Centre (http://www.johnscross.co.uk/kampa-step-up-two-caravan-double-step.html)

I am not far from you so if you want this double step, send me a PM. I want 10 for it and it is quite new (I ran over the previous one :o).

shadyzzz
03-03-2015, 09:43
We had an electric step on our last van but found an ordinary Double step worked better. Similar to this one Kampa Step Up Two Caravan Double Step - Johns Cross Motorcaravan and Camping Centre (http://www.johnscross.co.uk/kampa-step-up-two-caravan-double-step.html)

I am not far from you so if you want this double step, send me a PM. I want 10 for it and it is quite new (I ran over the previous one :o).

this is the one i have now just thinking space saved cheers

snowbirds
03-03-2015, 09:55
Not for me,I watched a man in the pouring rain for two hours who was about to leave a site trying to get them back in,they don't seem to build a fail safe in them.
He gave up and was still there when we left the next day.

Snowbirds.

shadyzzz
03-03-2015, 10:06
what about manual pull out28170

ChrisInNotts
03-03-2015, 10:08
Not for me,I watched a man in the pouring rain for two hours who was about to leave a site trying to get them back in,they don't seem to build a fail safe in them.
He gave up and was still there when we left the next day.

Snowbirds.

I had a similar experience last year. One hour grovelling in the mud to remove the cover, disconnect linkage and tie them up for the journey. Subsequently fixed (limit switch) but a nuisance at the time.

Nice to have though and the step down alarm is a useful safety aid.

The biggest problem I have found with steps is stepping out in the dark thinking they are down when they are not. That hurts but makes no difference if electric or manual :mad2:

Keith

Wooie1958
03-03-2015, 10:30
Yes.

I have the electric version of the one you link to.

Obanboy666
03-03-2015, 10:54
A must have for me. Auto retract on engine start up and one less thing to carry and potentially leave behind.
I'm all for mod cons, the more the merrier for an easy life.

MollsPhot
03-03-2015, 12:44
Our van too has the auto-retracting step. They are good but require lots of TLC as the runners quickly become clogged with grit, etc picked up off the road.

Siimplyloco
03-03-2015, 12:48
Our van too has the auto-retracting step. They are good but require lots of TLC as the runners quickly become clogged with grit, etc picked up off the road.

In contrast, ours have worked perfectly over the last 6000 miles. I don't oil or grease them at all: apparently it's bad for them!
John

oldish hippy
03-03-2015, 12:52
just get the wife to lie down there you go easy answer I am looking for a step also lol just have to find one first then train her

Wooie1958
03-03-2015, 13:06
just get the wife to lie down there you go easy answer I am looking for a step also lol just have to find one first then train her

Thailand Girls - Meet Faithful Thai Mail Order Brides - Babes, Women Ladies (http://www.thai-professional.com/ladies.htm)

Worked for the brother-in-law :lol-049:

Beemer
03-03-2015, 13:11
We have one step that electrically lowers by button, and it is very handy.
Our previous van had electric auto retract, which was quite annoying when you wanted to get in and out of the habitation when the engine was running.
Our current van has an alarm to let you know that the electric step has been left out, and can be retracted from the drivers seat. Once the steps have been retracted they cannot be lowered all the time the engine is running.

kernowprickles
03-03-2015, 17:18
We have an electric step, but rarely use it as it is a struggle for us to get up it, and not being lightweights, we are terrified of breaking it!! We carry a double step; used to be like the one Maingate has for sale, but we found it a little bulky. We now have one of these - Kampa Quick Step | double tread folding step for caravans or motorhomes (http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/kampa-folding-double-tread-step/4113?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1NWnBRDchObfnYrbo78BEiQA-2jqBeSBPxxIvuTnyAokatg1lopYbdAP8lVCTjku-QQCkFMaAmrE8P8HAQ), which is very sturdy, and folds up, so takes up far less room. Worth shopping around for prices, as they vary quite a lot.

dr dave
03-03-2015, 17:35
A plastic milk grate or beer crate if you can get one makes a great step and stores the wine / beer when on the road. :cheers:

izwozral
03-03-2015, 17:48
Just a word of warning: Plastic crates get brittle with prolonged exposed to U.V. My wife who is just a tad over 9 stone was standing on a milk crate when cleaning a window, her foot went through the centre & ended up at A&E for 14 stitches in her calf.

jacquigem
03-03-2015, 18:03
We had problems with adria which they made difficult to replace gbut the Mohawk now works well but if I had the choice would go manual due to past experience

GWAYGWAY
03-03-2015, 19:01
Mine has taken to giving a low buzzing from the alarm buzzer whenever it has been raining hard on the move, I think it is water causing a small short but not enough for a full bodied scream that it gives if the ignition is on normally. Also I have heard of a Sargent control panel causing trouble with step jumping out and in whenever it feels like it. I will be getting the WD40 out again and spraying the microswitch liberally.

Tezza33
03-03-2015, 23:47
The biggest problem I have found with steps is stepping out in the dark thinking they are down when they are not. That hurts but makes no difference if electric or manual :mad2:

KeithThe number of times I have done that, I like to keep the step out but Maggy is convinced it is easier to break in if the step is down:yeahthat:, it is if the thief is 70yrs old I keep telling her but she still puts the step in so I step out thinking it is down (usually after a good night)
I like electric steps and I haven't had a problem with mine on the Hymer or the one on my CI Meridian

Wooie1958
04-03-2015, 05:27
The only problem i`ve had with mine has been the 2 large pivot screws that hold the 2 extending arms in place.

The first time it happened it just stopped working and after checking the fuse which was OK i decided to take it off and strip it down.

I found that the 2 screws had come loose and the whole mechanism had twisted and had locked itself shut.

It had missed the micro-switch so it obviously thought it was already open and wouldn`t go any further.

I cleaned everything up nipped up the 2 screws as tight as i could and put it back, it then worked perfectly.

The following year i noticed it was starting to get a little noisy and coming out slightly twisted and not as square as it should.

I took it off and found the same problem was starting to happen again and the 2 screws were coming loose.

This time when i put it back together i used Loctite Threadlocker (http://www.loctite.co.uk/threadlocking-4476.htm) on the 2 screws.

4 years later it is still working perfectly and operates smoothly and quietly :dance:

shadyzzz
04-03-2015, 12:44
so it looks like its a no !!! lol

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS