PDA

View Full Version : breathalyser in france

Tinapow
05-03-2015, 16:36
Do we need to carry a breathalyser in france

Jo001
05-03-2015, 16:42
I think the law says you ought to have two in the vehicle, but there isn't anything the police can do if you don't. However - as other have said here, for the sake of a 5 kit, it's not worth the hassle the police could create for you if they wanted to be awkward.

rockape
05-03-2015, 17:04
Yes, its not worth the hassle, NOT to have one.

El Veterano
05-03-2015, 17:32
You are supposed to have them, but you cannot be fined for not having them. If you want to buy some DO NOT buy them in UK or at the ports. They virtually give them away in France. We've got a couple that are past their sell by date now, they cost €0.80 each a couple of years ago, and we keep them just because of the stupidity of the legislation. We will not be renewing them. By the way, you are supposed to have 2.

Mr B
05-03-2015, 17:39
Its not enforced and there is no penalty enforcement for not having one either.
Do not waste your money buying one in the UK, if you must buy a box in France, they cant give them away let alone sell them ;-)

lebesset
05-03-2015, 18:32
You are supposed to have them, but you cannot be fined for not having them. If you want to buy some DO NOT buy them in UK or at the ports. They virtually give them away in France. We've got a couple that are past their sell by date now, they cost 0.80 each a couple of years ago, and we keep them just because of the stupidity of the legislation. We will not be renewing them. By the way, you are supposed to have 2.

who says you should have had 2 ?
just forget them anyway , the police just laugh about it , like all my french neighbours I threw mine away
just asked my german /swedish/belgian neigbours her on the aire if they have them ...not one did

El Veterano
05-03-2015, 18:35
who says you should have had 2 ?
just forget them anyway , the police just laugh about it , like all my french neighbours I threw mine away
just asked my german /swedish/belgian neigbours her on the aire if they have them ...not one did

The idea was that you always had 2, so that if you used one you would still have one left, thereby still complying with the law. And I agree, just forget them.

pheasantplucker
05-03-2015, 21:32
The idea was that you always had 2, so that if you used one you would still have one left, thereby still complying with the law. And I agree, just forget them.

Don't understand the rule.Are you supposed to self-test before you drive or is it to save the French police the cost of a breath test by making you use your own if they stop you?

Ether
05-03-2015, 21:39
I thought that they were lowering the alcohol limit in France. If so, I presume that the kits we have bought will be redundant

crabs121
05-03-2015, 21:44
What if you dont drink

antiquesam
06-03-2015, 06:09
What if you dont drink

They may do non alcoholic ones:wacko::giggle::giggle::giggle:

baloothebear
06-03-2015, 06:11
What if you dont drink

The law would still apply :)

Anyway, it was brought in by the Sarko Administration. It then turned out that one of French Ministers who was instrumental in bringing in the ruling had a financial interest in the company that made the the wretched things :)

Just to add insult to injury, the device has a "shelf" life and if you ever used one in anger it will probably have expired...

El Veterano
06-03-2015, 07:39
Don't understand the rule.Are you supposed to self-test before you drive or is it to save the French police the cost of a breath test by making you use your own if they stop you?

Exactly that, to self-test before you drive. I suppose that if you were self-test while you were driving, that would be another offence all together - At the end of the day the fine for not carrying a breathalyser was only €11 anyway, not exactly the end of the world. The law ran into difficulty right from the start in 2012 when they realised that they simply could not manufacture enough of the kits in time to make the deadline for the rule to become law in March of 2013.
If you want a place where you really have to 'think before you drink', try Australia. I have been there 5 times in the last 7 years, and I have been pulled over in police roadblocks, setup purely for DD testing, at least 4 times, nearly always first thing in the morning (6 - 7am).

lebesset
06-03-2015, 07:56

why would you ever use one ? the result had no legal standing ! there was never a rule to have 2 , just a sales idea

incidentally the french legal limit remains at 50 but newly qualified drivers will only be allowed 20

Wooie1958
06-03-2015, 08:16
When we came over to France last september the vehicle in front of us when we boarded at Dover was a brand new ( 64 ) Landrover Defender 110.

It had obviously cost a bob or two with the huge alloys, all LED lighting and a very nice paint job to finish it off.

There was a young british couple with 2 small children in it and it was fully loaded with camping gear.

We ended up sat across from them in the lounge on the crossing.

During the 1 hour 30 minute crossing i watched him consume 6 cans of Stella Artois, it virtually didn`t touch the sides :scared:

His wife and children had what looked like fruit juice.

We then watched in amazement as he climbed in the drivers seat when we got back down onto the vehicle deck and started the engine.

He drove off the ferry immediately in front of us and was wandering all over the place.

I pulled over to one side as soon as we could to get some distance between us and them :mad2:

El Veterano
06-03-2015, 08:46
why would you ever use one ? the result had no legal standing ! there was never a rule to have 2 , just a sales idea

incidentally the french legal limit remains at 50 but newly qualified drivers will only be allowed 20

I didn't say it was a rule to have two. But the simple fact is that if you used one and you didn't have a second one to replace it with you would then have been breaking the law as it stood in 2012. Most people I knew in France at the time bought 2, they were only peanuts anyway. And I agree, why would you ever use one, any sensible person would know that after a glass or 2 of wine you are going to be over the limit. But where this all goes to rat sh1te is as in the Australian case that I mentioned earlier, after a bit of a session the night before, how do you know if you are under the limit the following morning at 7am? Many of my Aussie mates carry little electronic breathalysers, usually smaller than a normal electronic car key, for precisely that reason. In fact one guy I know has his as a key fob.:cheers:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS