PDA

View Full Version : Train Station Car Parks.

Wooie1958
14-03-2015, 20:47
And you thought train tickets were expensive .......... Train passengers paying 215 a day at station car parks - AOL Travel UK (http://travel.aol.co.uk/2015/03/14/train-station-parking-most-expensive-liverpool-lime-birmingham-new-leeds/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D336639#!slid e=aol_2177615)

trevskoda
14-03-2015, 20:55
thats a weeks wages here you lot must be over paid and mad.

Wooie1958
14-03-2015, 21:06
Scroll down a bit hand have a look at ...... The UK's worst train stations.

Can`t comment on the first two as i`ve never been to them but number 3, London Bridge is where we get off when we visit our son in London.

It`s a pretty grim place and is very rough in places but i suppose it`s not surprising when you see the amount of people that use it every day.

Teutone
14-03-2015, 21:39
Scroll down a bit hand have a look at ...... The UK's worst train stations.

Can`t comment on the first two as i`ve never been to them but number 3, London Bridge is where we get off when we visit our son in London.

It`s a pretty grim place and is very rough in places but i suppose it`s not surprising when you see the amount of people that use it every day.

I used London Bridge when I was working in London for 2 years. Always busy and pretty grotty.
Didn't they rebuild it? Haven't been there for 5 years. Thankfully.

Wooie1958
14-03-2015, 21:54
I used London Bridge when I was working in London for 2 years. Always busy and pretty grotty.
Didn't they rebuild it? Haven't been there for 5 years. Thankfully.

We`ve been using it now for 3 years and it hasn`t really changed.

Used it last at the beginning of december last year and we caught the 11.30pm train back to Abbey Wood for the CC site there.

Not a nice experience :scared: and we won`t leave it that late again.

The station was bad enough but the 30 minute train journey was actually frightening.

sasquatch
15-03-2015, 11:03
We stayed at Chertsey and Abbey Wood when the kids were younger. We used to take the train into London in mid morning,but the return evening train at around 6 p.m. was awful. That experience impressed on me not to even consider working there,the majority of passengers were having a 'meal' and then a sleep before they arrive home-thats not a life,its an existence.

Caz
15-03-2015, 11:57
I caught a train last week, for the first time in years. Parking at our local station is free - but there wasn't any space so I had to leave the car in the housing estate nearby.

channa
15-03-2015, 13:26
A couple of weeks ago, whilst at the NEC I had to come home with a leginfection.....Solihull to Dewsbury 61.50 single going RTW ...It was an enjoyable experience until the Wolverhampton to Manchester leg. Pardon the pun but stood on a bad leg previous day had been attended to by A and E.

I am frankly at loss whilst rail companies cant accurately envisige the number of passengers and put on the required carriages accordingly.

What I do know, is all this clap trap of encouraging people to use public transport is futile. When like any other business the infrastructure can serve its cusotmers then progress may be made.

Incidentally I have always found easiest for London is to drive to high Barnet and get a day rover for the tube.I suspect the cheapest way too. Because we are from the sticks the tube is part of the day out.

Channa

francophile1947
15-03-2015, 15:52
[QUOTE=channa;512927]
I am frankly at loss whilst rail companies cant accurately envisige the number of passengers and put on the required carriages accordingly./QUOTE]

The rail companies don't usually own the carriages, they are leased. They are unlikely to spend loads of money leasing something that may only be used twice a day.
Also, sufficient carriages may well make the train too long to fit on the platforms, so there are always people who don't get off at the correct stop. I have worked trains like that and you have to make announcements to ensure that people are in the correct carriages. When they miss their stops they obviously complain and when you tell them that they should have listened to the announcements, they usually say "I never listen to the announcements"http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/stupid.gif

Enlli
15-03-2015, 16:33
I am frankly at loss whilst rail companies cant accurately envisige the number of passengers and put on the required carriages accordingly.

Channa

One of the big problems is going onto multiple units. If the type you use has three carriage then you have to put two units together and end up with six. Gets worse the bigger a unit is (eg 8's going up to 16)

When we had separate locomotive and carriage stock it was easy to add a couple of extra carriages if needed. Indeed extra carriages were often stored near big stations for that purpose.

As an ex fireman I remember picking up extra stock on many an occasion. Stations also had pilot locomotives whose main job was to move carriage stock around.

channa
15-03-2015, 21:47
[QUOTE=channa;512927]
I am frankly at loss whilst rail companies cant accurately envisige the number of passengers and put on the required carriages accordingly./QUOTE]

The rail companies don't usually own the carriages, they are leased. They are unlikely to spend loads of money leasing something that may only be used twice a day.
Also, sufficient carriages may well make the train too long to fit on the platforms, so there are always people who don't get off at the correct stop. I have worked trains like that and you have to make announcements to ensure that people are in the correct carriages. When they miss their stops they obviously complain and when you tell them that they should have listened to the announcements, they usually say "I never listen to the announcements"http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/stupid.gif

well if they are spot rentals I accept the argument on occasion volumes of traffic can catch them out, however unlikely I would think. Is there really that much variation monday to Monday at a given time in passenger numbers ? if the carriages are truly leased then the rental is surely paid irrespective of utilisation. Leasing is merely a form of funding no different to any other funding except how it is expressed on a balance sheet. Platform lengths , tells me the infrastructure is goosed then ! so why promote an expensive mode of transport that cant in real terms cater for the volumes of traffic..... Enili makes the point of multiple units, the journey in question was a 125 service people stood.....Why on earth in a million years is that acceptable ? or put another way, first time on a train in years what has the service done to endearing me to repeat the experience in the near future? I accept there can be logisitical issues customers arent privy too...but customers ultimately judge by their experience

Channa

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS