PDA

View Full Version : DVLA Sorn

vindiboy
23-03-2015, 12:48
We SORNed our car when we left UK in December for Portugal as it had 3 Months unexpired tax on it, I expected to get a cheque for the refund on our return home but instead I had a reminder to re tax it from 1st April, I phoned them this morning and was told that they had not received the application to SORN, so our car was in fact still taxed,good in that we can use it straight away,bad that we lost out on a refund.I tried to SORN on line in December but was only able to do that from 1st December but wanted to use the car till the 10th so could not do it on line, I downloaded the form ,filled it out to SORN from 10th December, posted it and forgot about it till today. it seems the form is still in transit somewhere since before Christmas, Christmas mail I suppose. Lucky we returned home in March as if we had stayed away longer we could have incurred a penalty for non tax on the car, the lady at DVLA I spoke to said she could see on her computer that I had tried to SORN on line ,but was sorry that as no application was received by post hard luck, so in future if I SORN I will send it by registered post.

zimba90
23-03-2015, 13:08
I guess, in hindsight, it would have been better to SORN on-line on December 10 and you would have received a confirmation email.

kenspain
23-03-2015, 13:13
We SORNed our car when we left UK in December for Portugal as it had 3 Months unexpired tax on it, I expected to get a cheque for the refund on our return home but instead I had a reminder to re tax it from 1st April, I phoned them this morning and was told that they had not received the application to SORN, so our car was in fact still taxed,good in that we can use it straight away,bad that we lost out on a refund.I tried to SORN on line in December but was only able to do that from 1st December but wanted to use the car till the 10th so could not do it on line, I downloaded the form ,filled it out to SORN from 10th December, posted it and forgot about it till today. it seems the form is still in transit somewhere since before Christmas, Christmas mail I suppose. Lucky we returned home in March as if we had stayed away longer we could have incurred a penalty for non tax on the car, the lady at DVLA I spoke to said she could see on her computer that I had tried to SORN on line ,but was sorry that as no application was received by post hard luck, so in future if I SORN I will send it by registered post.

Why would you Sorn a Motor if your going abroad do you know how long it takes the police now to find out if you have tax and insurance on the motor bit of a risk if you ask me for a little money return

John H
23-03-2015, 14:16
Why would you Sorn a Motor if your going abroad do you know how long it takes the police now to find out if you have tax and insurance on the motor bit of a risk if you ask me for a little money return

I agree, Ken, but the way I read the OP, he wanted to SORN the car and leave it unused in England while he was in Portugal, which would be perfectly legal.

kenspain
23-03-2015, 14:20
I agree, Ken, but the way I read the OP, he wanted to SORN the car and leave it unused in England while he was in Portugal, which would be perfectly legal.

OP,s sorry to much wine with lunch:lol-053::lol-053::wave:

vindiboy
23-03-2015, 16:26
I guess, in hindsight, it would have been better to SORN on-line on December 10 and you would have received a confirmation email.

You can only SORN on line from the first of a Month.

ricc
23-03-2015, 17:05
i taxed the daughters car online end of last month, got a confirmation email, few minutes later did mine, money has left my account but no confirmation email, should i be worried ? would have thought theyed have been wittering by now if thered been a system failure.

zimba90
23-03-2015, 20:40

But, as I understand the opening post, the car wasn't to be used after December 10 so even if the SORN done on-line on December 10 and was effective December 1 the car wouldn't have been used after the SORN was in place.

K9d
23-03-2015, 20:56

If you SORN after the beginning of the month you don't get back the month you SORN it in, when you tax it they will date it from the 1st of the month you tax it and charge you accordingly. So with the new system, whereby tax can't be passed from one owner to another, they win double tax at some point and in the OP's case in that 3 month period the refund may have only, effectively, been for one month. :(

walpeter
24-03-2015, 06:28
I have 3 vehicles, all old mind, including our 1991 Hymer and all 3 are due to be taxed at the end of this month. I am going for monthly direct debit on all of them. That way, if any of them are not being used for a month or more, I can SORN them, cancel the direct debit and then pick it up again when I need it on the road. I think I might save myself some money over the year as long as DVLA don't mess up!

baldybloke
24-03-2015, 10:31
I have 3 vehicles, all old mind, including our 1991 Hymer and all 3 are due to be taxed at the end of this month. I am going for monthly direct debit on all of them. That way, if any of them are not being used for a month or more, I can SORN them, cancel the direct debit and then pick it up again when I need it on the road. I think I might save myself some money over the year as long as DVLA don't mess up!

The DVLA work hard not to admit when they do mess up!, it is a case of you are guilty till proven innocent!, I have had a couple of issues with them, once I won, once I didn't, though as far as DVLA are concerned the burden of proof lies with the customer!

vindiboy
24-03-2015, 12:22
But, as I understand the opening post, the car wasn't to be used after December 10 so even if the SORN done on-line on December 10 and was effective December 1 the car wouldn't have been used after the SORN was in place. The car was in use up till the 10th December so if I SORN ed from the 1st the DVLA said I would be illegal as the SORN would be effective from the 1st , this seems wrong to me as I would not have got a refund for the December tax although it would have been paid just kept in DVLA coffers.

vindiboy
24-03-2015, 12:27
If you SORN after the beginning of the month you don't get back the month you SORN it in, when you tax it they will date it from the 1st of the month you tax it and charge you accordingly. So with the new system, whereby tax can't be passed from one owner to another, they win double tax at some point and in the OP's case in that 3 month period the refund may have only, effectively, been for one month. :( My car was taxed till end of March 15, so sorning it in December 14 should have got me 3 months refund ie Jan Feb Mar 15 ,but hey ho I got zilch

Polar Bear
24-03-2015, 18:45

You will save more money if you tax them for a year. You can still SORN them at any time and you will not lose the extra money you pay for using monthly DD!

Moonraker 2
24-03-2015, 19:35
I have done a sorn for my van twice now. I go into the post office and speak to a person and receive a cheque a few weeks later. Sorn - ted!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS