PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland Point area

Fangio
27-09-2008, 20:11
Hi Everyone
We are new to the site & have just joined up - very impressed. We would like to stay somewhere up near Sunderland Point - any ideas? We are also planning our first trip to France in October in our motorhome & would welcome any recommendations about Wild Camping around Champagne / Picardie. Hope someone can help.

wigan pier
27-09-2008, 20:51
hi wellcome to our site hope you enjoy.
regards wigan andy.:D

jimmnlizz
28-09-2008, 08:32
Welcome aboard, Fangio. :p I live nearer than you to the point but I don't know of anywhere near there :confused: to wild except where the truckers sleep. ;) That's by Heysham docks on the industrial estate before you get to the dock gates.:rolleyes: There used to be another spot going from Heysham golf course towards Middleton (Middleton Road!! :eek: ) There was a big layby on the left but it had been used for a gravel heap by the council. :D It shouldn't be too bad at this time of year as they only seem to do the roads in summer but it is quiet there. ;) DO NOT go down to the coast road by the river Lune, no matter how nice it looks, :( it floods at a lot of high tides! :eek: Let us know how you get on! :D JIM.

marcuseucalyptus
29-07-2009, 18:36
Hiya, A great little spot we found a couple of days ago is Potts Corner. Just follow the campsite signs from Middleton and follow the bendy road until you reach the sea. Beautiful views of Morecambe bay!

oldpolicehouse
31-01-2011, 19:37
I know this is an old thread but I am a fairly new member and it caught my eye.
I lived at Sunderland Point from 1980 until 2003. I built the last house (literally with my own hands) that is ever likely to be built there as the tide is eroding this tiny peninsula.
I can state categorically there is nowhere to park safely at Sunderland Point.
In the 23 years I lived there I lost count of the number of vehicles of all shapes and sizes written off by the incoming tide.I came across one chap who could not understand why the inside of his really nice VW Golf was all wet.When I asked him how long he had been away he told me several hours. In that time the tide had come in covered his car and gone out again.

Talbot
31-01-2011, 22:28
Hiya, A great little spot we found a couple of days ago is Potts Corner. Just follow the campsite signs from Middleton and follow the bendy road until you reach the sea. Beautiful views of Morecambe bay!

Will a high tide reach the car park at Potts Corner?

oldpolicehouse
08-02-2011, 07:28
Hello
Not sure where you mean by Potts Corner but if you mean on the beach at Middleton it all depends on the height of the tide when you are there. Best to buy a Tide Table or ask one of the locals. Also remember the tide will be pushed higher into Morecambe Bay by a strong westerly or south westerly wind.I'm sure you don't need me to tell you the sands of Morecambe bay can be treacherous.

Blue Skies

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS