PDA

View Full Version : Oban or Adnamurchan?

MarkJ
09-04-2015, 21:23
I'm planning a trip round W Scotland and find myself a day or two short to go to all the places I want to see in the time I have.

If you had to choose between seeing the area around Oban or the area around Adnamurchan which would you choose?

Both look great but never been to either I'm afraid. I'm sure there are folk out there who know them well....

sparrks
09-04-2015, 22:09
I'm planning a trip round W Scotland and find myself a day or two short to go to all the places I want to see in the time I have.

If you had to choose between seeing the area around Oban or the area around Adnamurchan which would you choose?

Both look great but never been to either I'm afraid. I'm sure there are folk out there who know them well....

Adnamurchan, but don't tell anyone :)

runnach
10-04-2015, 06:49
Adnamurchan, but don't tell anyone :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he says!

philbert
11-04-2015, 08:57
just back from Ardnamurchan only had 5 days and It wasn't enough.
only go if you have time to explore a quick visit wont be enough.

Wooie1958
11-04-2015, 09:37
Ardnamurchan for me as well :wave:

P.S.

Apologies for being pedantic but it is Ardnamurchan and not Adnamurchan :D

frontslide
11-04-2015, 10:28
Ardnamurchan without a doubt:cool:

MarkJ
12-04-2015, 07:25
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Appreciated.

And pedantry is good, Wooie1958. Thank you - explains why I was swearing at my sat nav and accusing it of being stupid.....

Wooie1958
12-04-2015, 07:32
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Appreciated.

And pedantry is good, Wooie1958. Thank you - explains why I was swearing at my sat nav and accusing it of being stupid.....

You`re very welcome sir :wave:

wildsrelax
27-06-2015, 07:07
Oban has a lot going for it, amenities, and shops to stock up with and views of the sea on way to campbeltown are many, however like fort William they are not wild camper friendly around there. Some residents want our money but not us. If you are tempted to visit ganavan sands- bay, north out of oban, past dunollie castle, its pleasant to sit there, but there is a hidden agenda, and staying over night can be stressful. Ganavan bay was home of the Sunderland flying boats and later a camping and caravanning site, the area was common land, part of the land has been built on, luxury apartments look out over the carpark, a couple from these apartments have made it their lifes work to harass camper van owners. They have posted signs all over and said they are by order of Argyll and Bute council, some of us asked the police who called, and they said it was a civil matter. This couple have been known to take the time your van arrived and left with photographic proof. 27 June 2015, I was there eating my fish and chips and the woman of the couple out with her two black and white dogs was having a row with camper van owners who said they were staying the night and her posters were illegal. So at ganavan sands beware you are being observed by this couple who will harass you.

champstar
27-06-2015, 07:29
Is there not a TRO on the official council car park sign?

I visit this location often when up in Oban and get water and loo disposal at the toilets. I wouldnt want to overnight there as it is right next to the houses but ok for a day at the beach

Wind Dancer
27-06-2015, 08:25
Ardnamurchan definitely. I wouldn't put it off due to lack of time to see it all, there are plenty places in the Highlands that are like that. Better to have seen some of it than none of it :)

You will always leave the Highlands wanting more :have fun:

nesbo
10-07-2015, 07:55
We were in Ardnamurchan at the end of last year. The road to it is brutal - my wife threw up.

We'd just returned from our honeymoon in Canada which involved lots of driving on the other side of the road. We were first to roll of the Corran Ferry (a great service) - I drove for at least 3 miles on the other side of the road with a line of ferry traffic behind me on the correct side of the road. I was so embarrassed. The local farmer who corrected me looked terrified in his tractor as we were driving straight towards him. When we returned I noticed that due to the was you disembark the ferry and the way that the traffic is lined up to board the ferry you are put out onto the right hand side of the road.

I consider myself a safe driver - so please take care when your over there lol.

Also - take diesel with you. There is one fuel station there.

Take a trip to Tobermory on the ferry as foot passengers. Its the roughest boat crossing I have ever been on. The waves were coming over the side of the boat. It was excellent.

Another couple of great places to visit on up are:

Glen Nevis (an excellent walk - not too far)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/56.7726578,-4.9808892/56.7774629,-5.0008397/@56.7763747,-4.997387,1394m/data=!3m1!1e3

Glenfinnan Viaduct
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenfinnan_Viaduct

Commando Memorial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Memorial

All the best
Nesbo

Derry28
12-07-2015, 18:25
Ardnamurchan without a doubt:cool:
That place looks amazing but where exactly are you parked up

Trompete
23-07-2015, 19:30
Don't miss this wonderful peninsula with its spectacular wilding spots.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS